OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

They do love big douche QBs

EcVahr5XQAAGyzA?format=jpg&name=360x360

I feel like we've lived this simulation before. These classes and the way to two teams are recruiting and the focus on Texas from the OU recruits. It's Bomar, Peterson, Marcus Walker, Lendy Holmes all over again.Ā 

Keep that Rattler narrative rolling Sooners.Ā 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I feel like we've lived this simulation before. These classes and the way to two teams are recruiting and the focus on Texas from the OU recruits. It's Bomar, Peterson, Marcus Walker, Lendy Holmes all over again.Ā 

I pray to God that Troy OmeireĀ knocks outĀ McCutchin, likeĀ Quan did Holmes.Ā 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Ā 

• Like 1

Fyi...

TheĀ school announced his role as a special assistant to the head coach and shares that McNeillĀ will serve asĀ an advisor toĀ Doeren and lead special projects and provide player development analysis.

Ā 

(McNeillĀ announced back in January that he was leaving the Oklahoma staff to help his family as his father, who is dealing with some health issues. At the time, he was clear to note that the move was not a retirement for him and that he still desired to coach in some capacity. This reunion with longtime friend Dave Doeren will allow him the opportunity to do that in a unique capacity.)

https://footballscoop.com/the-scoop/

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

I just don't understand how they think that Spencer Rattler is going to run the offense anywhere as well as Baker, Kyler or even Hurts.

Whatā€™s not to get? Theyā€™re a quarterback factory and have been for years. Rattler was highly rated, and they were able to take a quarterback of average throwing ability, in Hurts, and put up video game numbers.

I would be confident as well, if I were a Sooner.

ThenĀ again I would also be a meth-eating, sister humping, inbred if I were a Sooner.Ā 

Fuck OU.

Edited by Ghost of Shag
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Whatā€™s not to get? Theyā€™re a quarterback factory and have been for years. Rattler was highly rated, and they were able to take a quarterback of average throwing ability, in Hurts, and put up video game numbers.

I would be confident as well, if I were a Sooner.

ThenĀ again I would also be a meth-eating, sister humping, inbred if I were a Sooner.Ā 

Fuck OU.

it has more to do with the fact that Baker and Kyler ran some of the most efficient college football offenses of all time and Rattler was far from efficient in HS. things can change, but expecting a guy who has taken like <50 snaps to suddenly play at the level of a heisman winner is foolhardy and the kind of shit that Aggy does.

confidence is one thing.

but they act like there is going to be zero drop off between those 3 dudes and Rattler.

Hurts also was a pretty efficient passer who didn't exactly turn the ball over a ton.

also, yes. Fuck OU.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, NoName said:

I just don't understand how they think that Spencer Rattler is going to run the offense anywhere as well as Baker, Kyler or even Hurts.

We should expect Rattler to perform well because they didn't seek a transfer. JT Daniels, Jamie Newman, and KJ Costello wereĀ available and they passed. If Riley believes Rattler is better than JT Daniels, he probably is.Ā 

Now, expecting blOU's offense to be good isn't fatalistic, it's reality. Also reality is their defense. They'll be as successful as theirĀ second year DC, who predicates his philosophy on speedĀ and scheming pressureĀ (you know, like Todd Orlando), will allow them to be. And, considering swamp aggy hung half a hundred points on this unit in 30 minutes of gameplay, I'm going to feel pretty good about the defense being bad, and potentially worse than last year.Ā 

We should expect Rattler to perform well because they didn't seek a transfer. JT Daniels, Jamie Newman, and KJ Costello wereĀ available and they passed. If Riley believes Rattler is better than JT Daniels, he probably is.Ā 
Now, expecting blOU's offense to be good isn't fatalistic, it's reality. Also reality is their defense. They'll be as successful as theirĀ second year DC, who predicates his philosophy on speedĀ and scheming pressureĀ (you know, like Todd Orlando), will allow them to be. And, considering swamp aggy hung half a hundred points on this unit in 30 minutes of gameplay, I'm going to feel pretty good about the defense being bad, and potentially worse than last year.Ā 

Also probably has to with JT Daniels and Costello being very mediocre college qbā€™s
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Could it be that if Riley went for another transfer that would start to cement the notion that he canā€™t develop QBs and that would kill them in QB recruiting going forward. Ā I think Rileyā€™s ego may be getting the best ofĀ him in this situation. Ā He should stick his formula that has worked so well for him. Ā Just grab the best available graduate transfer every year but at some point recruits would be turned off by that strategy. Ā 

• Like 3

Drumm basically saying that Damon Harmon is a silent - and I assume that means that Kelvin Gilliam is as well.Ā 

Ā 

Been speaking with a several people for the last few days about elite DBĀ Damond HarmonĀ along with four-star DL teammate Kelvin Gilliam.

As you all know, I did a zoom call with Gilliam last night. I will have FULL write up on that and some 5-star info with it in the morning.

That said, while I was out in DMV area I kept hearing solid things about Damond Harmon and the Sooners. Thought this thing would stay quiet a bit longer, but he put out a August 1st announcement date on Twitter. I can tell you all I feel very, very confident in Sooners chances with Harmon and thus put in a CB for him to Sooners.

One source tells me, ā€œ(OU) is going to have some decisions to make with Caleb Williams committing its made a lot of the top DC, Maryland and Virginia targets reach out to OU or try and pull the trigger. (OU) only has so many spots left.ā€

As noted noted above, Iā€™ll have 5-star updates tomorrow, along with a few others, that arenā€™t in DMV area so this Caleb Williams effect is starting to take its course for Sooners out of his region, as well.

Ā 

Ā 

Rattler is going to put up NCAA numbers in that offense. He's going to throw for a lot of yards and TDs. That offense and it's precursors let guys like BJ Symons and Tim Couch put up insane numbers. That doesn't mean that he is going to play at the level of those other guys and certainly isn't a given in games against better/faster opponents. There's a lot of wishcasting going on.Ā 

Ā 

38 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Could it be that if Riley went for another transfer that would start to cement the notion that he canā€™t develop QBs and that would kill them in QB recruiting going forward.

This has become an issue and a lot of coaches have been pointing it out. As long as they put up great numbers, Riley will draw QBs but he's going to have to prove that he can pick a guy, recruit him, and turn him into the guy. I would bet good money that Patterson and Cumbie have hammered that point home at every camp or clinic they run. Cumbie has talked with several QBs about Riley leaning on Kingsbury's development and I'm very sure he's not the only one.Ā 

Austin Kendall. Chris Robison. Tanner Mordecai.Ā 

Riley has a lot to prove at this point because that ^^ is an undeniableĀ trend. The QBs that RileyĀ has identified, recruited, and signed have transferred out without having any impact.Ā I suspect that we will see Mordecai bail as well, since it appears that they have already handed the ball to Rattler.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I found this RileyĀ quote from this week very interesting, especially in light of the QB referenced having completed only 55% of his passes and being one of the least accurate QBs at the Elite 11, an event that was missing several top tier QBs that would've likely pushed Williams further down the list.Ā 

Ā 

ā€œThe big arm doesnā€™t matter a whole lot,ā€Ā Riley said. ā€œThat doesnā€™t come into play a ton. Physically, the number one thing we look for is: are they accurate? Theyā€™ve got to be accurate, and theyā€™ve got to be a good enough athlete. Theyā€™re not always gonna be Kyler Murrays. Thereā€™s only one of those out there. But theyā€™ve got to be good enough athletically.

ā€œThe biggest thing we look for is: was the guy a winner? And, at the end of the day, if youā€™re a good enough high school player as a quarterback then your team is gonna win.ā€

Ā 

Riley's taking of Caleb Williams is interesting because he's simply not the type ofĀ QB that Leach, Mumme, Briles, or Kingsbury has taken. It will be interesting to see if Riley will forge a new path, or if this is hubris. Vandagriff was a much better scheme fit and was on a different level than Williams in every single Elite 11 eventĀ that I watched. It's a gamble.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Austin Kendall. Chris Robison. Tanner Mordecai.Ā 

Riley has a lot to prove at this point because that ^^ is an undeniableĀ trend. The QBs that RileyĀ has identified, recruited, and signed have transferred out without having any impact.Ā I suspect that we will see Mordecai bail as well, since it appears that they have already handed the ball to Rattler.Ā 

Maybe. I watched Tanner Mordecai play football for 4 years. He was solid, but not stellar. There's nothing special about the way he plays. I think he was just happy and surprised to get a scholarship to OU. Not sure he will transfer.

Ā 

8 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Maybe. I watched Tanner Mordecai play football for 4 years. He was solid, but not stellar. There's nothing special about the way he plays. I think he was just happy and surprised to get a scholarship to OU. Not sure he will transfer.

Ā 

I was surprised that he was Riley's pick when he recruited him, so I can certainly see your point.Ā I just remember that sideline reaction from Mordecai during the Peach Bowl when Riley sent RattlerĀ in. that was NOT a guy that was ok with it. at all. It was enough that the Sooner media had to cover it and further had to reportĀ on his decision to stay for 2020. Maybe he stays, and honestly it's probably the right choice. I guess he could transfer to Tulsa or UNT or somewhere like that and probably start for two seasons or he could stay at OU and wait for an injury. I suspect that he won't want to sit behind both Rattler and Williams, who is an EE and expects to go directly on the 2 deep behind Rattler, for his last 2 years of eligibility.Ā 

Ā 

OU took Mordecai to be a backup. Sometimes you just need a QB for depth who you think wonā€™t transfer immediately.
Ā 

Happens all the time, and then the ratings services wronglyĀ boost the kidsĀ ratingĀ because said school took them. Mordecai shouldā€™ve never been a 4-star.
Ā 

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

OU took Mordecai to be a backup. Sometimes you just need a QB for depth who you think wonā€™t transfer immediately.
Ā 

Happens all the time, and then the ratings services wronglyĀ boost the kidsĀ ratingĀ because said school took them. Mordecai shouldā€™ve never been a 4-star.
Ā 

Ā 

Wasn't Mordecai trending towards UH and Herman until the OU offer?

39 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Wasn't Mordecai trending towards UH and Herman until the OU offer?

Mordecai was a 2018 -Ā so Herman was already at Texas. I think UH had Chance Amie in thaĀ classĀ before losing him and taking Clayton Tune. Unless I have all my years mixed up.Ā 

23 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Mordecai was a 2018 -Ā so Herman was already at Texas. I think UH had Chance Amie in thaĀ classĀ before losing him and taking Clayton Tune. Unless I have all my years mixed up.Ā 

Herman offered him in spring of 2016, and then went on to beat OU pretty easily that fall, but you are right, he committed to OU in 2017, so Herman was already at Texas.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

let me rephrase it.

with Baker and Kyler they had something like 3? of the top 10 most efficient/best offensive seasons of all time

they clearly were very very good with Hurts last year

if their offense drops from the 90th percentile down to say the 80th percentile of all time that costs them a ton of wins

last 3 years:

• 2019: 6 games decided by 7 points or less (went 6-1)
  • 2018: 5 games decided by 7 points or less (went 4-1)
  • 2017: 4 games decided by 7 points or less, and another by 8 points (went 5-1)

are they going to be really fucking good of offense? absolutely.

if they go from being a historically great offense the last 3 years to just a really damn good offense the odds of them going 15-3 in games decided by 7 points or less is virtually zero.

also if they brought in another transfer QB they were going to have a hard time actually recruiting any QBs all things considered. Riley is smart.

Ā 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, stork642 said:

Could it be that if Riley went for another transfer that would start to cement the notion that he canā€™t develop QBs and that would kill them in QB recruiting going forward. Ā I think Rileyā€™s ego may be getting the best ofĀ him in this situation. Ā He should stick his formula that has worked so well for him. Ā Just grab the best available graduate transfer every year but at some point recruits would be turned off by that strategy. Ā 

While this position seems to have been made popular by repetition, I'm not sure it makes much sense.Ā  Riley has taken 1 grad transfer in Hurts. Mayfield had been on campus a year before Riley was hired.Ā Ā Riley recruited Murray as soon as he was hired, but he obviously went to aggy for a year.Ā  Most programs in the country would have taken Murray as a transfer with 3 years to play.Ā  When Murray left early the options were true freshman Rattler, RS Freshman Mordecai, or Hurts.Ā  I'm guessing Riley (any coach)Ā would've preferred another year of Murray and then transition to RS Freshman Rattler/RS Soph MordecaiĀ instead of Hurts.Ā Ā 

Looking up the QBs recruited under Riley:Ā 

Kendall I'm guessing would've played if Murray wouldn't have transferred in.Ā  Any coach choosing Kendall over Murray probably isn't a very good coach.

Robison looks like he got kicked off the team in less than a year.

Mordecai was/is depth.

9 minutes ago, NoName said:

if their offense drops from the 90th percentile down to say the 80th percentile of all time that costs them a ton of wins

This is my point. Why would Riley actively choose to allow that? He wouldn't. He must believe Rattler is their best chance to maintain their offensive standard. If he didn't believe that, they would have chased a transfer.Ā 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

This is my point. Why would Riley actively choose to allow that? He wouldn't. He must believe Rattler is their best chance to maintain their offensive standard. If he didn't believe that, they would have chased a transfer.Ā 

if the difference there is Rattler is going to be close to those other guys (i am sure he does believe this) then you can keep him, address a down year as "learning", not take the recruiting hit and have something to clap back with against the negative recruiting and reload for the next year

very little downside to the whole deal

Ā 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fud said:

I think it's revisionist to say that Riley took Mordecai to be a backup. He was the only QB in that class and was toosly; Riley took him because he thought he could coach him up

Justin McMillan was once the only QB LSU took one year. You think they took him to be the starter?Ā The backup thingĀ happens sometimes andĀ being the onlyĀ QB in a class doesnā€™t matter, because you arenā€™t switching starters every year.Ā 

Rattler committed the same month Mordecai did, everyone knew Mordecai wasĀ getting passed up. Thatā€™s not revisionist. Itā€™s literally what pretty muchĀ everyone thoughtĀ at the time. Iā€™m sure Lincoln liked Mordecai, but he knew Rattler was the guy.

46 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

Justin McMillan was once the only QB LSU took one year. You think they took him to be the starter?Ā The backup thingĀ happens sometimes andĀ being the onlyĀ QB in a class doesnā€™t matter, because you arenā€™t switching starters every year.Ā 

Rattler committed the same month Mordecai did, everyone knew Mordecai wasĀ getting passed up. Thatā€™s not revisionist. Itā€™s literally what pretty muchĀ everyone thoughtĀ at the time. Iā€™m sure Lincoln liked Mordecai, but he knew Rattler was the guy.

You're comparing a 4* to... the 1490th recruit in the country?Ā 

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

You're comparing a 4* to... the 1490th recruit in the country?Ā 

No, that was to point out that being the only QB in the class doesnā€™t always matter.

The second paragraph was showing why Mordecai didnā€™t matter (in terms of being a starter).

28 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

No, that was to point out that being the only QB in the class doesnā€™t always matter.

The second paragraph was showing why Mordecai didnā€™t matter (in terms of being a starter).

It doesn't always matter, but it's generally a sign that the staff views the QB as a potential starter

Blinkin trying to move 1st game a week earlier...

https://www.normantranscript.com/sports/report-oklahoma-eyes-playing-football-opener-vs-missouri-state-a-week-early/article_b5055e5e-c2ac-11ea-8a23-5b800b1c109e.htmlĀ 

The Oklahoman's Berry Tramel reports OUĀ is seeking an NCAA waiver to play FCS Missouri State on Aug. 29, as opposed to their originally planned Sept. 5 meeting in Norman.

The timeline for OU to prepare for its 2020 season obviously shortens if the NCAA granted a waiver that allowed it to play Missouri State a week early. The benefit to OU is an added bye week between its first and second games.

Ā 

(Also would get to start fall camp a week earlier right??Ā  Ā Seems like a competitive advantage to start a week sooner and add another bye week.)

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by LTtxfan

On 7/8/2020 at 4:26 PM, Fud said:

I think it's revisionist to say that Riley took Mordecai to be a backup. He was the only QB in that class and was toosly; Riley took him because he thought he could coach him up

In 2018, OU put all of their eggs in the Cameron Rising basket. When he decommitted, they went after Adrian Martinez who ended up going to Nebraska.

That year, the QB market was depleted early so there were relatively few options for OU when Mordecai, at that time a 3-star backup plan, committed on Jun 1st. I'm sure OU took him thinking he had potential, but he certainly wasn't celebrated by the coaches or fans.

Similarly, OU didn't have great options at QB for the 2020 clases after Bryce Young went elsewhere. The Sooners ended up with Morris, but there is very little excitement with him.

Riley's said somewhere that he'd like to take a QB annually, but he doesn't just take a body. That said, it appears OU takes a highly regarded high schooler in odd number years (Robison, Rattler, Wms), and guys with less accolades in the even years (Mordecai, Morris). I guess this bodes poorly for OU's prospects with the highly-regarded 2022 Texas QB.

Looks like McMillon will go to Florida and Tommi Hill will go to Arizona State - which has spun up the Sooners. There's some classic aggy takes going on right now. Between the "trust the coaches" takes. To the "we actually didn't want him because Grinch is really, actually targeting X". There's a few "we are never going to get better if we keep having to settle" guys but they are few and far between. Exacerbating the situation was Drumm's lead up to the 4th of July where he told the natives that they were probably getting 5 maybe 6 guys. Instead they landed their 2 silent commits and have missed out on several guys and not made the top group for several more. It's not Hamm's 15-0 but it's not good.Ā 

Sooner1.png

Ā 

Sooner2.png

Ā 

Sooner-Offers.png

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

It's simple really--there's no way these suspensions stick. Ā 

They are no longer playing the games that the suspension was levied for. Lincolnā€™s hands are tied, he has to let them play. Ā 
Ā 

Just like when the jailhouse burns down, you have to let the inmates free.Ā 

13 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Looks like McMillon will go to Florida and Tommi Hill will go to Arizona State - which has spun up the Sooners. There's some classic aggy takes going on right now. Between the "trust the coaches" takes. To the "we actually didn't want him because Grinch is really, actually targeting X". There's a few "we are never going to get better if we keep having to settle" guys but they are few and far between. Exacerbating the situation was Drumm's lead up to the 4th of July where he told the natives that they were probably getting 5 maybe 6 guys. Instead they landed their 2 silent commits and have missed out on several guys and not made the top group for several more. It's not Hamm's 15-0 but it's not good.Ā 

Sooner1.png

Ā 

Sooner2.png

Ā 

Sooner-Offers.png

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

The best offer Daymon has is either us or Michigan

Gotta love the self awareness to say that despite hitting the playoffs 4/6 years, Michigan might be his best offer. You know, the team that's accumulated 25 losses over the same period and whose best win in that stretch is arguably a Citrus Bowl win over a McElwain led Florida team that took OT to beat FAU.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

In terms of quarters or halves? Ā 3 games=3 quarters? Ā If OU is threatened after a half or drops the first game, my guess is theseĀ sentences get commuted. Ā 

It's an NCAA suspension, not an internal OU oneĀ 

• Like 2