OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Sooner Summit OL update (Leigh and Byrd) - "a weekend in Norman and OKC... could be what sets OU a part [sic] from others. Definitely can't hurt."

Reveal hidden contents

Eeq5C3kXkAA63tK?format=jpg&name=360x360Eeq5DdnWAAU0YAH?format=png&name=360x360Eeq5DvZXYAAsMFg?format=png&name=360x360Eeq5D_CXsAE1jyk?format=jpg&name=360x360

"a weekend in Norman and OKC... could be what sets OU a part from others. Definitely can't hurt."

4aiezr.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

I've been quite impressed with Riley's processes and hires after his first year.

Wylie is the exception, but I've withheld judgement. Injuries are one readout, but you could say this is small sample size and quarantine-related issues that were out of his control.

More concerning was OU losing the highly-regarded nutrition expert and the ballooning of some of the OL. In addition, we haven't heard/seen reports of cool/innovate stuff he's doing or player reporting on how he's made them better either. He's definitely under the microscope.

44 minutes ago, quigley said:

I've been quite impressed with Riley's processes and hires after his first year.

Wylie is the exception, but I've withheld judgement. Injuries are one readout, but you could say this is small sample size and quarantine-related issues that were out of his control.

More concerning was OU losing the highly-regarded nutrition expert and the ballooning of some of the OL. In addition, we haven't heard/seen reports of cool/innovate stuff he's doing or player reporting on how he's made them better either. He's definitely under the microscope.

Bennie Wylie’s S&C philosophy is terrible unless you are trying to become Mr. Olympia. I also think Lincoln’s insistence on keeping players away from campus is part of the spate of injuries. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Which strength coach of ours was the one that made the guys go dig a bunch of holes in a juvenile detention camp to see if they could find a buried treasure?

Also Moorer.

Bennie Wylie was the County Fair guy. Run 'em till they puke. He loves workouts with sets of 24 reps.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:
36 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Which strength coach of ours was the one that made the guys go dig a bunch of holes in a juvenile detention camp to see if they could find a buried treasure?

Also Moorer.

Makes sense.  PMo loved onion moonshine.

In Wylie's first year at Texas (2011) they lost 15 "starts to injury" according to Phil Steele's data. In his final year (2013) they lost 41 "starts to injury". 

I can't find the data for year 2 under Wylie (2012) but as Golfclap referenced above Texas had a bunch of injuries that year. Probably close to the '13 numbers if I had to guess. It's almost like Wylie might contribute to injuries once he starts "sculpting" bodies around year 2. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

In Wylie's first year at Texas (2011) they lost 15 "starts to injury" according to Phil Steele's data. In his final year (2013) they lost 41 "starts to injury". 

I can't find the data for year 2 under Wylie (2012) but as Golfclap referenced above Texas had a bunch of injuries that year. Probably close to the '13 numbers if I had to guess. It's almost like Wylie might contribute to injuries once he starts "sculpting" bodies around year 2. 

Without re-living those years, I also recall us  being "dead-legged" in the 2nd half of games. I hated Wylie. He was worse than Jeff Madden.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

So you're saying that Bennie Wylie is a cross fit instructor?

That's funny considering our current S&C does a lot of "cross fit" lifts. Cross fit has many detractors because there are plenty of shitty coaches and boxes, but it does a really good job of making people more explosive.

Edited by HtownHorn

5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

That's funny considering our current S&C does a lot of "cross fit" lifts. Cross fit has many detractors because there are plenty of shitty coaches and boxes, but it does a really good job of making people more explosive.

HtownHorn: Confirmed Crossfit bro

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 6:54 PM, Scholz said:

If you think any of their dudes would ever miss our game, you’re high

This...I know one of the athletes listed and he has zero intention of having to serve any of the suspension, and that a CoVid excuse will be used, something along the lines of "you never know when this pandemic will flare up again and we don't want to rob any athlete of a chance to play". 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2020 at 7:10 PM, golfclap said:

Marcus Hicks out for the season - with an Achilles injury. 

Bennie Wylie’d.

Siap..

The injury bug is spreading in the Oklahoma locker room ahead of the 2020 season.  The Sooners have had four injuries now. First, it was linebacker Caleb Kelly. Then quarterback Tanner Mordecai and Marcus Hicks. Now, the secondary has taken a major, major hit.

Junior college transfer Justin Harrington arrived on campus just last week ahead of Oklahoma’s fall camp. The Sooners’ Peach Bowl performance proved its scarcity of depth at safety, and Harrington provided athleticism and length the position didn’t have.  According to a report from SoonerScoop.com, Harrington went down with a torn ACL during fall camp.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/oklahoma-db-justin-harrington-reportedly-tore-his-acl-during-fall-camp/ar-BB17E9h9

Also...   Aug 9th article

Oklahoma pauses preseason football camp with date of opener now up in the air

With the date of their season opener up in the air, Oklahoma has paused preseason camp.  Sooners coach Lincoln Riley announced the move Saturday night.  Players have been allowed to go home for the week before returning Friday.

"We decided it's best to give our players some time off," Riley said in a release. "We were able to start camp before the vast majority of teams because our Aug. 29 season-opening game was the earliest in the country. With that first game pushed back a week or two, it only makes sense to spread out our practices and give our guys some time away."

The Sooners opened practice July 31.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/big12/2020/08/08/oklahoma-sooners-pause-preseason-football-camp/3329688001/

Edited by LTtxfan

On 8/6/2020 at 3:58 PM, golfclap said:

Bennie Wylie is a bad S&C coach. He's philosophies and his workouts are good for sculpting bodies and terrible for functional strength and flexibility. You will continue to see extremity injuries as long as you have him in that role. I made the joke about shoulder surgeries but rest assured you will see those injuries coming. He does a lot of lifts that aren't football specific and the lack of core strength and flexibility leads not only to non-contact injuries like you are seeing but also degradation injuries, see the upcoming shoulder injuries. I can't tell you how amped I was when he first came to UT (2011) -- he does a great job selling himself. At the time Madden (aka Fat Dog) was taking the blame for the lack of development on the players when in reality the level of player was diminishing and it was made more apparent because Fat Dog was not getting it done. the guys I knew from Texas Tech to a man said that we should prepare ourselves for the numerous injuries, and made a shit ton of jokes relating to the shoulders specifically. Wylie came in (Working with/against Fat Dog) and many guys started to look WAY more fit. It was a new day - shit was about to pick up. They also began to be injured constantly.

You won't see cool/innovative stuff from him. He'll tell you about all his innovation. He'll sell it like mad in videos and stuff. It will not manifest itself in results on the field. 

I think Hicks injuries at OU are a direct result of Bennie Wylie. Hicks is a FREAK athlete. His wrestling background and successes speak to his flexibility and raw strength (competing at 245 in the 285 class). With a guy like Hicks coaches like Moffitt, Batson, etc .. would work to ensure that they continue to add enough mass but retaining that elite flexibility. I think it's clear from the pics of Hicks returning to camp that Wylie has continued the same kind of shit that we saw at Texas. You can see large gains in bis, tris, and traps - no development at all in his lower half. He's lost shape/form in his core.

HicksOU.pngHicksUA.png

I'd bet money that despite lifting heavier and getting bigger - that Hicks (before the injury) had less functional strength and far less flexibility. We've been down this road. 

For example --- 2012 ::

and 2013 ::

Wait. Are you me? Am I you?

spacer.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Looks more like crucifit.

I wonder how many reps he does or is it by time?  I really wish I had the chutzpah to go all in like this.  I've watched guys wrap the lap pulldown cable around their necks and do potential strangulation pulls.  If you can dream it, you can achieve it.  

2 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I assumed the players were being sent home because Oklahomasucks was allowed to start practices early and now that all the games are starting the same week they we’re going to have to pause practices. 

Aren't teams only allowed a limited number of practices?

1 minute ago, Mason Ramsey said:

fanboy drumm put a CB in today for Savion Byrd to OU with a confidence level of 6 

Apprently his parents and Williams' have been talking and he's more likely to come to the Sooner Summit thingy

Drumm:

*** Sooner Summit Good News & More***

*** How about some good news...

The Sooners commits are working on several guys that are crucial for the OU LincUp21 class. Three of those targets are on the offensive line with five-star OL Tristan Leigh, elite OL four-star (I think Foster is a five-star talent) Bryce Foster and elite four-star OL Savion Byrd (who I think is in the same vein as Leigh and Foster).

The Sooners are looking good at hosting all three in the near future on a "self visit" along with Sooners commits Caleb Williams (who discussed what Sooner Summit is about in SI Blog today. Link below), Mario Williams, and others.

Sources I talk with tell me Byrd is 'most likely' visiting the Sooners in the next few weeks. This is one of the main reasons why I switched my crystal ball to OU after originally having it with SMU for quite some time. Now, my confidence level, when it was with SMU, was only been at a 2 the last few weeks. That had a lot to do with the momentum that OU has been building with Byrd over time. Also told that Caleb Williams family has been having solid dialogue with Byrd's parents. All of that has my confidence more with OU at this point.

I know I may be out on a limb there, but I feel good about my new crystal ball as long as Byrd does make it to Norman in the next month or so.

*** As for five-star Tristan Leigh, I still feel like Sooners are quietly making a move there. I know he and his mom plan on visiting the Sooners soon, so if that happens there could be some interesting new developments in his recruitment. Definitely something to watch as the Sooner Summit draws closer. It will be interesting to see if he makes it out or not. Right now, I am hearing there is a good chance he does make it out to Norman soon, but that will be something I let him announce due to timeline uncertainty of it all.

LSU is still the perceived leader with Ohio State, Bama, and Clemson also battling the Sooners and Bayou Bengals for Leigh's commitment.

*** Same goes for elite OL Bryce Foster. I keep hearing he could be back up to Norman in the next few weeks, but nothing is confirmed from Foster himself. That said, I like where OU stands and sources I speak with still seem to feel the Sooners are the team to beat with A&M and Oregon really working on Foster hard, as well. Never can throw Gig'em out of this with his strong family ties in College Station.

*** A note that seemed to not draw as much news as it probably should -- and that has a lot to do with CFB uncertaninty -- is the fact Sooners five-star QB commit Caleb Williams all but admitted the move to Oklahoma is happening soon in his latest SI blog that he dropped today. Williams was quoted as saying, "lay down some roots" when talking about his future visit to Norman/OKC. Sources I speak with tell me that is the plan and that Williams and his family will be looking to move to the OKC area in the near future. That is all I will say right now, but I would expect Caleb to go into deeper detail when he is ready to do so.

*** Lastly, with the Sooner Summit looking like it will be a big deal, I am sure there are some that want to know what five-star WR Emeka Egbuka and five-star DL J.T. Tuimoloau are doing. Sources I talk with say that Egbuka is likely to visit, but Tuimoloau is the wild card going forward.

The Sooners are still in good shape for both, but how OU looks in the future will be dependent on if the two can ever make it to Norman

14 hours ago, texifornia said:

*** As for five-star Tristan Leigh, I still feel like Sooners are quietly making a move there. I know he and his mom plan on visiting the Sooners soon, so if that happens there could be some interesting new developments in his recruitment. Definitely something to watch as the Sooner Summit draws closer. It will be interesting to see if he makes it out or not. Right now, I am hearing there is a good chance he does make it out to Norman soon, but that will be something I let him announce due to timeline uncertainty of it all.

This dudes going to LSU, imo

Drumm is basing his 7 confidence CB on a pretty weak hand, imo

*** I spoke to a few solid sources about 2021 five-star RB Camar Wheaton yesterday.

It sounded like the Texas Longhorns were making a strong case for the five-star RB, but even before the LJ Johnson news with Texas became public, a source I spoke with told me that Texas may not be as much of a player with Wheaton as we first thought.

Now, I personally think Texas is a player, but I think the source was meaning on the level of the other two programs. The source went on to tell me, “(OU) and SMU seem to be the players here, but he is quiet so you never really know,”

The source added. “I do expect him to be at the Sooner Summit in a few weeks. That would be huge for (OU). Especially with it sounding like he is getting closer to a decision.”

Of course, later on our national recruiting director, Steve Wiltfong, put in a crystal ball for five-star RB LJ Johnson to Texas. Another source told me, “Texas, Texas A&M and OU seem to be his top three, but you hear a lot about Texas these days,” the source said.

That shocked me a bit, as I always heard A&M for him as a leader, but new info obviously says Stan Drayton and Texas have been doing a great job with Johnson.

As for Wheaton, the Demarco Murray connection and the fact he has visited on several occasions seems to be paying off a bit.

The Sooners were one of Wheaton’s last visits prior to the dead period, and sources tell me that has paid dividends for Oklahoma since. If Wheaton does make it to the Sooner Summit there has to be even more confidence if you’re Oklahoma and Demarco Murray, in my opinion. 

However, I still can’t rule out SMU, as Coach Samples has continued to be a huge recruiter of Wheaton, along with SMU four-star QB commit Preston Stone. Definitely something to watch as Wheaton’s decision draws near, but I do like my crystal ball pick as if now. I will like it more if Wheaton makes it to Norman on his own in the next few weeks.