OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

1 hour ago, golfclap said:

Looks like McMillon will go to Florida and Tommi Hill will go to Arizona State - which has spun up the Sooners. There's some classic aggy takes going on right now. Between the "trust the coaches" takes. To the "we actually didn't want him because Grinch is really, actually targeting X". There's a few "we are never going to get better if we keep having to settle" guys but they are few and far between. Exacerbating the situation was Drumm's lead up to the 4th of July where he told the natives that they were probably getting 5 maybe 6 guys. Instead they landed their 2 silent commits and have missed out on several guys and not made the top group for several more. It's not Hamm's 15-0 but it's not good. 

Sooner1.png

Sooner2.png

Sooner-Offers.png

That’s good shit right there. So basically, OU cashed in all their available recruiting capital and it didn’t work out and now they’re back to being stuck without momentum and headed for another top 10 to top 15 class where the offensive talent heavily outweighs the defensive talent? This is literally every single year under Riley. Rinse. Repeat. 

*ahem* 

Sooner-Mukuba.png

surprised kenan thompson GIF

Sooner-July.png

That is rich. I’ve never understood how fans can confidently say Grinch doesn’t want a guy who’s being heavily recruited by all the best schools in the country and that somehow makes them feel better.

Anyone with half a brain wouldn’t view the belief that their staff is flat out ignoring blue chip prospects as a good sign, but these are Sooners, so I guess it checks out. 

• Like 3

So the Sooners want to believe that Grinch has this 155 pound guy higher on his personal S board than Mukuba, Hill, McMillon, et al

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/9692675/5d82d06f4ba7aa106ca77fd7

Not to mention a host of other regional S, like Rawls, Caston, Baskerville,  Nwokobia, Caston, etc. I mean, the kid looks like a decent CF style FS but man his frame is slight. I'm picturing this dude doubled over the top of McCutchin vs. a guy built like Brennan Eagles or any of the host of guys Iowa State has rolled out there. Oof. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Atlfan714 said:

It’s almost like this board when Mccutchin committed to ou and people were saying Herman doesn’t want him anyways or man he’s too skinny, glad we skipped on him. 

Mukuba didn't throw a public hissy fit, let his dad complain for him all over the internet, and get processed by Bama and forced to come begging back to the regional schools. So there's that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, Atlfan714 said:

It’s almost like this board when Mccutchin committed to ou and people were saying Herman doesn’t want him anyways or man he’s too skinny, glad we skipped on him. 

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Mukuba didn't throw a public hissy fit, let his dad complain for him all over the internet, and get processed by Bama and forced to come begging back to the regional schools. So there's that.

On top of that, the entire premise that he is a good football player is built on Sophomore tape due to injury. There are no new testing numbers, no 7v7, nothing. The data points are pre-injurt tape, getting processed by Bama, and butthurt bitterness and immaturity.

But I'm sure he'll be great. 

12 minutes ago, Atlfan714 said:

Nice try troll. The idea that McCutchin is anywhere near the prospect Mukuba is just shows how far out of your depth you are. Mukuba is a no doubt take for every school in the country. McCutchin is nowhere near that and has a bunch of question marks. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Atlfan714 said:

Texas hosted McCutchin 5 weeks in a row and didn't offer, per Lattrell himself. Hence, the monumental butthurt. That tells you that Herman didn't want him. 

He is what, 155 pounds right now? He is in fact too skinny. I am glad we skipped on him. With his parents, I'd be glad we skipped on him if he was 195 and ready to play. He's not.

Bama gave him a typical carpet bomb offer which he accepted and then Bama proceeded to eval him them promptly ghosted/processed his ass and flipped a tOSU commit to replace him. OU was the only regional school interested in him and willing to deal with his baggage. His final top 10 was a farce and outside of OU the only one of those schools that would've taken his commitment and recruited him with any effort at all, was FSU. I guess maybe he could've gone to Tennessee but it's not like they put any effort into it. 

• Like 3

Drumm clearing up the Safety stuff for everyone ... 

Just spoke with a source that told me, “(OU) hasn’t been pushing for Hill Or McMillon for the last two weeks,” the source said. “Just had a better feel for guys like Daymon David and others.”

This isn’t to say OU didn’t want the two four-stars, but the Sooners have a few other targets that they felt more comfortable with, including David.

I spoke to a source on Michigan side, too, about David and was told, “Michigan wants him pretty badly, but even they feel like it’s a uphill battle to catch OU.”

ahh. ok cool. Wait, the last two weeks? Are you sure, Drumm? *checks notes from 7 days ago*

I know there has been some buzz that Tommi Hill would commit Monday, per his Instagram stating July 6th is a big day. That said, Sunday I asked Hill if he would be committing Monday and he told me "no" on is Instagram Live late last night. Does that mean a commitment soon is out the window? No. He may very well have something in the works and be playing coy with us.

I was also able to speak with a source that told me, "(OU) still very serious about Hill, but they also like Daymon David a ton, too," the source said. "Hill is a guy that can play safety or corner at OU, so that wouldn't mean they couldn't take David if Hill was to commit. (OU) seems to feel good about their chances Hill and few other DB's"

confused will smith GIF

10 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Gotta love the self awareness to say that despite hitting the playoffs 4/6 years, Michigan might be his best offer. You know, the team that's accumulated 25 losses over the same period and whose best win in that stretch is arguably a Citrus Bowl win over a McElwain led Florida team that took OT to beat FAU.

Michigan's defense has been much better than OU's since Don Brown has been in Ann Arbor. It makes sense that OU'd lose defensive recruits to Michigan just like I wouldn't be shocked to see OU get the good RB from Michigan (Edwards) this year.

An OU's CB class of McCutchin, Brown, Harmon would be one I'd be excited about. That's three high upside players, which is what OU needs.

I was excited about McMillon, and of course OU wanted Mukuba. Losing Hill wasn't such a big deal. I'm unsure if OU has any true safeties in the class right now. With the Sooners relative success in recruiting CB, I wonder if they load up on CB and move bigger ones to S. Alternatively, OU may circle back to AJ Green (Ark commit) later in the cycle. Green is apparently very talented as a DB but set on playing RB. OU may need numbers at DB and RB. Similarly, OU's Rivals site said Raheim Sanders from FL (Ark commit) was very interested in OU prior to committing to the Hogs.

That’s good shit right there. So basically, OU cashed in all their available recruiting capital and it didn’t work out and now they’re back to being stuck without momentum and headed for another top 10 to top 15 class where the offensive talent heavily outweighs the defensive talent? This is literally every single year under Riley. Rinse. Repeat. 

It's completely unsurprising that OU's offensive recruiting is much better than the defensive recruiting. If it weren't, I'd assume bagmen were the cause. OU lost the best Oklahoma HS DB in in 2018 (Proctor Ohio St) and 2019 (Hill Michigan). If the Sooner defense puts up another top 40ish season in next time (2020, 2021, or whenever), then the gap will start to close.

Edited by quigley
clarity
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Nice try troll. The idea that McCutchin is anywhere near the prospect Mukuba is just shows how far out of your depth you are. Mukuba is a no doubt take for every school in the country. McCutchin is nowhere near that and has a bunch of question marks. 

Leon O'neal starter package. 

Caleb Johnson official to OU. Will be super interesting to see if they still go after Prophet Brown. That 25 cap vs their need on the 2 deep is going to be interesting to see the numbers play out 

https://247sports.com/Player/Caleb-Johnson-46100091/

OU just needs talent on defense. God bless him, but Justin Broiles proved that loving OU too much isn't going to be enough stay with NFL-caliber WR.

If you look to take 10 on offense and 15 on defense, I'm good with taking PBrown and CJohnson. I think it shows that OU has recognized the 4-corners on the field at all times is necessary to play in CFP. I'm assuming they're planning on playing bigger CB at S/NB.

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU just needs talent on defense. God bless him, but Justin Broiles proved that loving OU too much isn't going to be enough stay with NFL-caliber WR.

Ah yeah, we know that feeling. Breckyn Hager blessedly replaced by Joseph Ossai. 

if you take PB and you get Gilliam, does that leave Burris out? I just don’t know how the 15 fills out. 

41 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Ah yeah, we know that feeling. Breckyn Hager blessedly replaced by Joseph Ossai. 

if you take PB and you get Gilliam, does that leave Burris out? I just don’t know how the 15 fills out. 

It comes to a numbers game with Gilliam Burris Abiara and Coe. Read somewhere that there’s been some radio silence with Burris recently. Personally I want them to accept Gilliam Burris and abiara and coe asks us to respect his decision. 

• Fuck You 2

7 hours ago, golfclap said:

6 hours ago, Atlfan714 said:

It comes to a numbers game with Gilliam Burris Abiara and Coe. Read somewhere that there’s been some radio silence with Burris recently. Personally I want them to accept Gilliam Burris and abiara and coe asks us to respect his decision. 

I don't have any inside knowledge, but it appears as though they're only going to take 3-4 LB (Studsman, Daniels, ?Kollie -- Mukes probably here eventually). That leaves 11 slots for DL, DB (6 DL, 5 DB). For the DL (Smith, Down, Coe, Rawlins-Kibonge, Burris*, Gilliam*) and DB (McCutchin, Johnson, Brown*, Harmon*, ???).

7 hours ago, Fud said:

Can OU even take 25 after taking five transfers over the past two years? 

They've had so much attrition, especially in the secondary, that I think they have plenty of room for the 85.

3 hours ago, quigley said:
10 hours ago, Fud said:

They've had so much attrition, especially in the secondary, that I think they have plenty of room for the 85.

The 25 is the issue. Transfers count against it 

HammLite with a Burris update - aggy co-leaders (?) now that OU doesn't have a scholarship for Burris this comes of the heels of Gilliam setting a commit date - Aug 22nd 

I have confirmed reports elsewhere that Burris is no longer considered an Oklahoma lock. He wants to make a decision by the end of the summer and A&M and OU would now be considered co-leaders. He was on the verge of a commitment to the Sooners a couple months back.

Burris is up to DT size and would probably end playing inside. However, he also suffered a recent season-ending injury (I believe it was the ACL but am not positive).

https://247sports.com/Player/Marcus-Burris-46050583/

2 hours ago, quigley said:

OU does a lot in the early enrollment game. Does this play a role? If not, I agree that they can't take a full 25.

I can figure it out. Do you know how many scholarship transfers OU took in 2017 and 2018? 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

I can figure it out. Do you know how many scholarship transfers OU took in 2017 and 2018? 

From 247, they only list JUCOs in those years (3 and 2, respectively). I don't recall any FBS/FCS transfers those years and can't find another source.

6 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I think OU wanted both. Michigan felt really good about Brown, so this seems pretty crazy 

I think you guys are probably right in that OU won't be able to take a full 25 which may mean that they can't take 4-5 in the secondary. If this is the case, OU's secondary recruits may be Mukes, McCutchin, Johnson, Harmon (announcing Aug 1).

Hopefully they take one more. Among public offers, Brown was most highly regarded.

11 hours ago, quigley said:

From 247, they only list JUCOs in those years (3 and 2, respectively). I don't recall any FBS/FCS transfers those years and can't find another source.

Unfortunately OU's 247 pages aren't accurate in regards to early enrollees and transfers, so it's tough to know exactly how many spots they have. Probably have to get that from Super K or someone with a team source