OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

5 minutes ago, Atlfan714 said:

Find me a post where I mentioned Bama Einstein. But hey congrats on Casey Thompson. That’s working out swimmingly. He definitely would’ve started at ou these past 2 years. 

I'd be surprised the point is flying miles over your head, but then I remember you're an OU fan and the lack of reading comprehension suddenly makes sense.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Atlfan714 said:

Find me a post where I mentioned Bama Einstein. But hey congrats on Casey Thompson. That’s working out swimmingly. He definitely would’ve started at ou these past 2 years. 

Hes definitely not douchey enough for your school.

Drumm trying to keep THE CALEB EFFECT on life support (#SoonerFiveStarSummit fucking lol)

The SoonerSummit, or also known as #SoonerFiveStarSummit by some that a part of this, is something I have been hinting at with comments saying “relax, stuff ongoing behind scenes” or “Emeka Egbuka is working on setting up a visit.”

All stuff I have been sitting on due to being asked to keep under wraps until they made it public. Our guy Brandon Huffman will have a piece on Emeka Egbuka and five-star DL JT Tuimoloau in the next 48 hours. Both are guys that could POTENTIALLY be a part of this, but they will have confirmation via Huffman piece he has coming in the next day or two. Stay tuned for that.

As for my saying “just the cusp?” Well, I’m sure Caleb will have more on what all that means going forward, but I honestly want to leave it up to him and the other recruits to say if they are coming or not. Caleb Williams, Mario Williams and a few others have been working on this.

Yes, the date is set but it’s something I’m betting will be brought to light by CW, along with other visitors names.

I know that is vague, but it definitely does have a chance to be quite special for LincUp21 as long as it pans out how they have it planned.

Obviously, no staff can be a part of it or even with them, but a guy like Joseph Weté could show them around due to his relationship with Williams as a teammate at Gonzaga, etc.

Again, I know this explanation is vague, but I was asked not divulge much more by those involved and I intend on not doing so. They will come public when stuff is finalized and it does look like it has the potential to be huge. All I can say.

Let your minds run wild at who cause I have heard up to 10 recruits, potentially.

Let the guesses who begin

Drumm on the #FiveStarSoonerSummit and Kollie

I know that you all want to know more about specifics of it all, but this is something that kids/parents want kept somewhat quiet as they lay out their plans to the public when the Sooner Summit date draws closer. However, as you can imagine, Caleb Williams will be the leader of releasing dates and other stuff. Don't expect him to say who will be coming with him in his SI Blogs, though, but I think you can expect him to mention the Sooner Summit soon in his blog, along with some other future things related to how he might have to handle his 2020 school year/off-season with DC not having football. So, stay tuned for his Monday blog on SI, for the latest on all of that.

As for other potential attendees at the Sooners Summit? Well, you all have named a ton of names and some of them are guys I have heard are coming. Some might think that football season, or practice would be interfering with some of the recruits, but that really isn't going to be the case with Texas starting practice in September, California, Washington, DMV, and other areas either canceling the season all together or pushing it back to later in the fall or spring. That would actually allow some of the recruits who might not be able to make such a trip, during that time, do just that.

Obviously, we will update as we feel more comfortable coming out with more information or if things change. Remember that it is within a 30-day period that all this COULD be going down, so things could change for the better or worse. Temper expectations and just be happy with who does arrive for this "Summit" of sorts. That way, if there is more you will be pleasantly happy, and if there is less you won't be near as disappointed.

I do expect this to be pulled off —(Click to read—-) as noted in my “Sooner Summit” note update with Sooners commits Kobi Mckinzie confirming his attendance to recruit organized event — but to what extent is going to be the interesting part with some already having set up, or are in the middle of setting up, their plans for the visit to Norman/OKC.

Either way, this is great momentum for the Sooners 2021 and 2022 classes.

Also, I expect that our guy Brandon Huffman should have more by Friday on two five-star potential Summit visitors from the Pacific Northwest -- along with quotes from them on where things stand in their recruiting process and more.

We have said that we wanted to allow the players/recruits the chance to state their intentions on attending the Sooner Summit on social media, etc. However, with 2021 four-star RB Camar Wheaton not having Twitter, and barely using Instagram from the looks of it, I wanted to give you all some information I have heard from a few sources.

One, I’m told Wheaton is a likely candidate to the Sooners Summit event in August.

And two, I know the Sooners still feel confident in their position with Wheaton, but I will readily admit I’m always hesitant on that because I feel like Texas is right there as well, and Camar doesn’t really tip his hand, so it’s usually guess work with him.

Yes, I have heard the rumors on Camar having SOME lean to Texas off of a Zoom call last week, but also know OU did too and they seem confident, as well.

The reality is that no one really has much of a clue where Camar is headed — not even those closest to him. He is that quiet about things when it comes to a decision.

Still, getting him up for the Sooner Summit would be a huge win for OU and could be the thing that puts over the top. It looks like there is a good chance of Camar Wheaton attending, but who knows with him!? Especially when it comes to where he will end up going. A surprise awaits us one day, in my opinion.

Stay tuned to OUInsider for the latest on this.

*** 2021 Four-star LB Prince Kollie note***

Oklahoma is still in hot pursuit of 2021 four-star LB Prince Kollie. The athletic linebacker is very quiet, according to on of Kollie’s coaches and recruiting advisors, Couch Ramsey.

According to Coach Ramsey, the four-star LB had a Zoom call with Coach Riley and the Sooners staff yesterday. Coach Ramsey went on about Kollie and the Sooners, saying, "They are doing a zoom call today to talk about the OU brand," Coach Ramsey said. "Prince texted with Coach Riley yesterday and Coach Odom has done a great job giving PK some of the space he wanted the last two to three weeks to just be a teenager and enjoy the summer of his senior year. Things will start to pick up again and, hopefully, some things will come into focus. Unsure what that focus will be, but hopefully it will include OV's at some point."

As for where the Sooners stand? Coach Ramsey says they are still right in the thick of things, adding, "All five schools have been given equal and sincere attention," Coach Ramsey went on saying. "And until he decides that he has enough information to make a good, sound decision he will continue to treat all five the same. The brand presentation today, we feel is a huge positive for the Sooners and he is very much looking forward to it."

Coach Ramsey and I spoke after the presentation and Coach Ramsey had glowing things to say about what OU has to offer, saying, "The meeting went very well today," coach Ramsey added. "The ofive that OU always sits in was mindblowing. You add that aspect to a program that has the ability to find and pay experts in technology, marketing, analytics, and whatever else they can use, gives them an advantage over so many other programs."

Coach Ramsey had even better things to say about the Sooners staff, adding, "It truly is a program that is head and shoulders above the competition," he said. "That doesn't include a stable of the best coaches. It's hard not to want your son, or in my case, a young man that I feel is close enough to be like my son, and feel that he will have plenty of advantages to succeed starting day one at OU."

With Coach Ramsey coming away with glowing remarks, what did the elite four-star LB think of it all? Coach Ramsey again says Kollie is a many of few words, but he did tell coach Ramsey some of his thoughts, "Princely also loved the meeting. He expressed how much he learned today and it really stuck, but I am going to talk more with him about it tomorrow," Coach Ramsey finished saying.

As we talked more on recruiting stuff overall and relationships, Coach Ramsey did add that Kollie does speak with Caleb Williams quite a bit, but he said that he hadn't heard about he Summit just yet. That's not to say it hasn't been discussed, but that they just hadn't heard about it from Kollie just yet.

As far as what I am hearing on Kollie and where things stand? It seems the Sooners are in a dog fight here, but they are really throwing all of their punches each and every chance they get. I will work on finding out more, but it doesn't seem like Kollie is in too much of a hurry to decide, so we will have to continue to follow this as things begin to unfold on down the line.

It’s hard for me to get excited, but if we land Wheaton out of nowhere, considering how it’s been feeling, suddenly it feels like this class goes to fucking exciting. And Turner? Wow. Still holes at key positions but man, it would really turn around perception. 

As I’ve said before, I still don’t understand how Wheaton can end up in a place like Norman over Austin. But here we are. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s hard for me to get excited, but if we land Wheaton out of nowhere, considering how it’s been feeling, suddenly it feels like this class goes to fucking exciting. And Turner? Wow. Still holes at key positions but man, it would really turn around perception. 

As I’ve said before, I still don’t understand how Wheaton can end up in a place like Norman over Austin. But here we are. 

Our defensive class is looking really damn good so far. Offense outside of Milroe not so much...

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Kollie would be a good get if they indeed land him.  Built and ranked similar to Blackwell.

I don't think they aren't getting Kollie over LSU and UGA. LSU has started to make him a priority. 

The reality is that the Sooners are likely looking at Trevin Wallace and Jabril Macneill (assuming Auburn doesn't actively pursue him) as their LB class.  

https://247sports.com/player/trevin-wallace-46101045

https://247sports.com/player/jabril-mcneill-46084698/

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

What happened here?

Murray said some shit in a snap/OG or whatever that made it's way back to Patterson and Cumbie and since then, Patterson has taken a giant shit directly on Demarco. Anyone who has had kids go and visit TCU knows exactly how hard his push is and how much he hammers some things home. Sometimes it works (Johnston) and sometimes it goes south (TQ Graham) but it's never not an absolute event. That guy will shit on anyone and he has no off button. Murray is pretty new to the entire CFB scene and recruiting (as a coach) and has said things/sent texts to recruits and trainers and is only now beginning to understand that if you say it to one of them, you might be saying it to everyone in the class and to a lot of other coaches.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

Drumm on the #FiveStarSoonerSummit and Kollie

It would be really interesting if someone from NCAA compliance showed up at the "player-led" gathering.

They won't, but you could imagine what it would be like if they did.

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

SMU still wouldn’t surprise me 

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

So in summation, Wheaton shouldn’t go to Texas because the OL in front of Jonathan gray was poor, and the rb coach that has put several players into the nfl including zeke elliott hasn’t yet put a longhorn there in his 3 seasons after having inherited nothing. 

You forgot...    ou sucks!!

Pier Piper 2.0 - the 4th of July was clearly just a test run ::

Caleb Williams ...  said he’ll return to Norman the weekend of Aug. 21. Obviously Williams won’t be able to visit with coaches and players because of the current NCAA Dead Period in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, but nevertheless he looks forward to getting back after seeing a trip in April and then again in June canceled.

“We’re going down there because we actually have never been to the city,” Williams said. He chose the Big 12 power over LSU and Maryland on July 4. “Go down there and spend time and kind of get used to where my next three or four years is going to be.” That weekend could also turn into a big recruiting weekend for Oklahoma where current commits like Williams continue to court their peers. “I’ve been trying to get a bunch of guys to come out there and spend some time with me and hopefully their quarterback for the next couple years,” Williams said.

He said that group could include the Top247's top-ranked receiver Emeka Egbuka. “I think so but he hasn’t told me for sure,” Williams said. It would be Egbuka’s first time in Norman as the Sooners battle Ohio State and Washington for the five-star’s pledge. “Emeka has been one of the main guys I want to get there because he basically finishes it off. Jalil Farooq, I’ve been trying to get him to come.” Those are just two of the prized prospects Williams is doing his part to try and land.

“I’ve been trying to push the cornerback out of Virginia Damond (Harmon), been trying to push Kelvin (Gilliam) and all them. I’ve been trying to push Emeka obviously. I’ve been trying to push Bryce (Foster), he’s a mountain as he calls himself. I’ve been trying to get Tristan (Leigh), I’m trying to get Tristan to come on a visit, him and his mother and try and get a better feel for it. Those have been the main guys.”

42 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What we see:

Boyd breaking down the Grinch defense

I deleted the bottom picture because it distresses me.

If we get football in 2020, I think OU's defense treads water.

(BTW, the Sooners decision to move up their PPV game is brilliant from a $ perspective. With less gate receipts, it's the most revenue football will bring in).

Negatives: loss of four best players (Perkins for five games), better offenses in B12

Positives: better talent, better coaching, more system familiarity.

OU's weakest DB, Bookie, should be relegated to the bench. Their S were first year starters last year and should grow simply because of playing time and system familiarity. Maybe more promising is that there are highly touted RS-Fr that could spell/replace them. Motley was best CB, but wasn't spectacular. J Davis was competent early in the year, and there will be several other options who may be better.

Loss of Murray will be felt, but I thought he was overvalued because of big hits. He got beat a lot too. I'm not actually as high on Kelley as others. I think he's quick enough to cover or big enough to take on blocks. I'm intrigued by the safeties who've been spun down (Barnes, Morris). Overall, the young LBs improved last year, and I'm excited to see what another year of competent coaching can provide.

Gallimore + his subs at NT is the most glaring personnel deficiency. Counting on two JUCOs as primary replacements is dicey.

An OU team with a defense in the 40 - 50 range is a playoff contender, and I think that's what we'll see (if we see football).

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU's weakest DB, Bookie, should be relegated to the bench. Their S were first year starters last year and should grow simply because of playing time and system familiarity. Maybe more promising is that there are highly touted RS-Fr that could spell/replace them. Motley was best CB, but wasn't spectacular. J Davis was competent early in the year, and there will be several other options who may be better.

I'm sure he'll handle that with the composure and class that have made him a fan favorite across the Big XII and beyond.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, quigley said:

Gallimore + his subs at NT is the most glaring personnel deficiency. Counting on two JUCOs as primary replacements is dicey

Above all else, this is the one thing that I think should be giving Sooner fans a case of the bends. One of those 2 JUCOs that needs to be effective (as depth, but still)  is Josh Ellison. Despite his JUCO ratings on the recruiting services this is the same Josh Ellison that just 2 years ago was such a fucking spare as a recruit that he would've had to buy a ticket to see an OU or Texas game because he certainly wasn't coming as a recruit. His only regional offers were aggy and Baylor. Maybe he's turned a corner and he reaches his ceiling of average and helps Grinch for a season as depth behind Stokes.

12 minutes ago, quigley said:

OU's weakest DB, Bookie, should be relegated to the bench.

@quigley do you have any idea how the early DB depth chart really plays out?

I've seen a few people taking a stab at it so I'll do the same ... 

I just assume that Harrington goes directly into the FS spot. DTY at SS. Brown and Norwood at CBs. Does that leave Bookie vs. Washington at NB? is there a scenario where someone like Eaton (with his athleticism) plays NB? I assume Jaden Davis is the dime and way too small to play NB, but maybe under Grinch? He can run and cover ...   

It's been frustrating to bounce around the different Sooner forums and try to get a consistent read on how the DB depth shakes out. The front 6/7 seems easy, the back half is a complete mixed bag. 

42 minutes ago, golfclap said:

1. One of those 2 JUCOs that needs to be effective (as depth, but still)  is Josh Ellison

@quigley 2. do you have any idea how the early DB depth chart really plays out?

1. Yeah, that's where I get stuck too. They have another dude who hasn't played for 3 yrs (Jordan Kelley) who they can give some run. Stating the obvious, even if they Winfery is awesome, your going to get 30 snaps of Ellison/Kelly every game. If there are injuries 😬

2. I'd say the back 7 is fluid. You have guys with athletic upside and not much experience vs guys with experience and less upside. Fortunately, the days of Dakota Austin, Justin Broiles are probably gone as there is better athleticism throughout. With actual coaching, I'd expect to see some growth from guys who haven't been on the field much. In theory, with bye weeks between games 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. This could be great for getting more people involved.

I feel ok about the DBs. Four of the five spots have an reasonable answer, and there is more viable depth and athleticism than in several years. Here's a list of who I'd like to see (with rationale).

CB: Tre Brown - he's set

CB: one of the new guys Woodi Washington (who looked good in the Sugar Bowl despite getting cooked), Davis, Daniels, Eaton. I'd love to see two of them be good enough to survive so that there can be a rotation again.

NB: Norwood - he probably doesn't have the speed to play CB but is smart and quick and, despite his build, a willing tackler. Could Harrington eventually play here bc of his size/speed combo? Will also need quickness and smarts/experience.

S: DTY - best Sooner DB by the end of 2019?

S: Brown - smart but limited athletically. I'd love to see him get 30 snaps per game as a backup at S/NB. Harrington is one option, but he's arriving this week so asking him to pick up a defense in this time is a bit much. Bryson Washington is who I'd like to see get a chance.

Edited by quigley
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Holy shit, they REALLY like Bijan. Contrast this with that aggy boards saying their 3-star scrub from Georgia was pretty much the same player.

Hide contents

EeBrp2kWAAYKkGl?format=png&name=360x360EeBrqSsXkAEUTo5?format=jpg&name=360x360EeBrshFWoAETdRn?format=png&name=360x360EeBrtoxXYAIweq7?format=png&name=360x360

He's obviously a great prospect at a position where HS production translates to college production. Anyone that says otherwise is being ridiculous.

Part of this is likely sour grapes from knowing that several top 2020 class RB (including Robinson) looked at OU, but the Sooners stuck by McClellan and got burned.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, quigley said:

He's obviously a great prospect at a position where HS production translates to college production. Anyone that says otherwise is being ridiculous.

Part of this is likely sour grapes from knowing that several top 2020 class RB (including Robinson) looked at OU, but the Sooners stuck by McClellan and got burned.

Hard to think of a situation where a guy burned a team as hard at a position as McClellan. That was ice cold.

10 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Thought Patrick Fields was a returning starter at Safety?

Thanks...should say:

S: Fields- smart but limited athletically. I'd love to see him get 30 snaps per game as a backup at S/NB. Harrington is one option, but he's arriving this week so asking him to pick up a defense in this time is a bit much. Bryson Washington is who I'd like to see get a chance.