OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

It’s true, Herman needs to win. So far Herman has been tripping over his loyalties to coaches that didn’t belong, even when it was evident. He has the team, experience and coaching now to accomplish some goals—shutting up Choklahoma, then beating the f’k out of rape u and frog, in any order. Want to shut up the critics? Win on the field. That’s how all sports go. Herman should feel pressure, just as Choklahoma should for always getting the shit beat out of them on the national stage. 

On 9/3/2020 at 9:59 AM, golfclap said:

Assuming Spray Tan is Wiltfong? If so I approve of the nickname. Otherwise I completely agree it's a thing Murray will have to learn. Anything you say to a recruit - you are saying to all the recruits and the other coaches. 

there's a shitton honestly.

First, do you know what the number is for OU in this class? You guys have 14 right now - and signed 23 last year but with 4 guys in from the portal - I don't know where each of the counters go. So do you have numbers to count back so that you can take a full 25, even with the transfers? I've tried to find it but no definitive answer. I am assuming that the way the Gilliam/Burris/Abiara situations played out that OU is feeling the numbers crunch despite only having 14 (officially) in the boat.

Safe to assume that Byrd was the silent at the Summit? 

I think we'll see Farooq, Byrd, Wheaton, and I assume in the end Foster added to the class - which gets it to 18. I imagine you will fight for Leigh until the fax is sent it. Same with Jardin Gilbert, is that a good assumption? Do you have any idea who else will end up with those last few spots? 

Is Trevin Wallace (the BC LB commit) still a possibility? Is Chase Hattley a possibility or is his status dependent on Gilbert? is there is scenario where they'd take Hattley and Gilbert? 

the 2022 thread could use some discussion as well - esp with how deep the in-state crop is for Oklahoma in 2022. 

Spray Tan is DeMarco. That was his name in Brennan Clay's wife's phone.

Can't nail down the exact number either.

Yes, Byrd is in and was probably the eyes from the Summit.  The "O" emoji from that weekend was 2022.

Leigh is going to take that LSU trip and from there it sounds like a coin flip.  Recent history recruiting against LSU hasn't been great, but none of those kids have been from northern Virginia. 

Haven't heard anything about Gilbert or Hattley.  With four DBs already committed and space becoming limited, both of those guys would be a lot.  As of a couple weeks ago, Wallace was on the table.  Have to assume he still is...there's no sure ILB in the class (247 lists Stutsman as OLB), no others on the horizon, and the current roster situation is such that we're moving Ugwoegbu inside and Barnes down.

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah it'll look kinda suspicious when they play texas and pull  a " no-contest" under 53 man roster , if its apparent that a lot of these guys seem to have been reinfected .  

OUsux is gonna do some low shit like that to try and mitigate the loss thay know.is coming. 

2 hours ago, soonernado said:

Spray Tan is DeMarco. That was his name in Brennan Clay's wife's phone.

Yes, Byrd is in and was probably the eyes from the Summit.  The "O" emoji from that weekend was 2022.

Leigh is going to take that LSU trip and from there it sounds like a coin flip.  Recent history recruiting against LSU hasn't been great, but none of those kids have been from northern Virginia. 

Haven't heard anything about Gilbert or Hattley.  With four DBs already committed and space becoming limited, both of those guys would be a lot.  As of a couple weeks ago, Wallace was on the table.  Have to assume he still is...there's no sure ILB in the class (247 lists Stutsman as OLB), no others on the horizon, and the current roster situation is such that we're moving Ugwoegbu inside and Barnes down.

Oh Yeah...

spray-tan-demarco-murray.jpg

10 hours ago, soonernado said:

the current roster situation is such that we're moving Ugwoegbu inside and Barnes down.

I was a big Ugwoegbu fan as a recruit. Huge athletic upside and a hard worker. I don't know how much harder the reads for ILB vs. OLB are in SpeedD (thinking of his learning curve). I assume that the LB spots are used more as attackers/disrupters than the standard read-react that you often see at ILB. Barnes is just a football player. I don't think you'd want to continue the path of not recruiting clear ILBs prospects but at least these 2 guys are good football players. Having Kobie McKenzie is a good start, he's going to be very good. I expect Mukes to be an outstanding OLB in a couple of years. I guess I'm not sure what the profile for Grinch's ILB is, based on the guys he's targeted as recruits vs. who has played it from the current roster, but  I assume that Stutsman will carry 225 -230 and play inside unless the Sooners get Wallace. Wallace looks like he could carry 235-240 pretty easily, big lean frame. 

11 hours ago, soonernado said:

I haven't seen a single source that has a good feel for it. It's really almost meme-worthy at this point. 

17 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I was a big Ugwoegbu fan as a recruit. Huge athletic upside and a hard worker. I don't know how much harder the reads for ILB vs. OLB are in SpeedD (thinking of his learning curve). I assume that the LB spots are used more as attackers/disrupters than the standard read-react that you often see at ILB. Barnes is just a football player. I don't think you'd want to continue the path of not recruiting clear ILBs prospects but at least these 2 guys are good football players. Having Kobie McKenzie is a good start, he's going to be very good. I expect Mukes to be an outstanding OLB in a couple of years. I guess I'm not sure what the profile for Grinch's ILB is, based on the guys he's targeted as recruits vs. who has played it from the current roster, but  I assume that Stutsman will carry 225 -230 and play inside unless the Sooners get Wallace. Wallace looks like he could carry 235-240 pretty easily, big lean frame. 

Ugwoegbu flashed late last season.  Rumor has it he is doing well inside (but not ready to start there) while Barnes is doing...less well.   Stutsman's main recruiter was Odom, so he should at least get his first look inside.  I don't know how much McKinzie's moves to '21 and back to '22 threw a wrench in this cycle.  There was less urgency in the '21 LB class when it looked like he could make it.

Edited by soonernado

14 hours ago, golfclap said:

EhfiH4GWkAUf_42?format=jpg&name=900x900

This depth chart has a few surprises:
- LT Harrison, true freshman starting. This is not unprecidented (RT Samia, 2015).
Floor for the OL is relatively high because you Swenson (who wasn't great, but more than a traffic cone) back and healthy who could move back to LT if Harrison/Wilkins are incompetent.

- WR Mims, true Fr. Seems like the buzz for him is real because he's on the 2-deep at WR and with return teams.

- DL is mostly new as expected.
DE Thomas is a surprise as he's a 3rd yr player who's done nothing so far. Apparently, he's always had the body. If he can be productive, that'll be awesome for depth when Perkins returns.
Happy to see Roberson on the 2-deep too. I was excited when OU got him.

- LB could see little drop off, despite the loss of Murray, if Ugweogbu can be a dude who can play 30 snaps/game to keep White and Asamoah fresh.
Depth is shaky, again, with Mead as a 2nd stringer. Longterm, Will should be OK because Whitter and Morris seem like good prospects, and Odom can apparently teach.
Rush seems like a place OU could have some stars moving forward.

- CB has three freshman listed as back ups. This probably isn't the case as Tre Norwood, who by all accounts is back and healthy, will serve as the back up for both CB slots. Grinch loves Norwood's versatility also so it wouldn't surprise me if he ends up starting somewhere.
- The somewhere I'd hope for Norwood is NB to get Bookie off the field.
OU has a history of DB's who had rough starts to their careers eventually developing into trusted players (Wolf and Lynn, eg) so there is the hope for development. I just don't think Bookie is big enough to hold up. I hope Norwood, or better yet Criddle, supplant him.

- Safety has two 3rd year players starting again. Remarkably they both made 13 consecutive starts last year before Turner-Yell got hurt. Hopefully, Washington and Washington get the opportunity to sub in to give DTY and Fields a break and to build experience for depth and the future.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, quigley said:

LT Harrison, true freshman starting. This is not unprecidented (RT Samia, 2015).
Floor for the OL is relatively high because you Swenson (who wasn't great, but more than a traffic cone) back and healthy who could move back to LT if Harrison/Wilkins are incompetent.

Floor is high because Bedenbaugh. The ability slide in a lumbering 5th year guy who has done nothing but provide traffic cone depth in his career does not a high floor make. Today, they think the Freshman are better than Swenson, and if I cared about your team, that's terrifying.

- DL is mostly new as expected.

We laugh about this on here, but I was listening to a Barton and Bud podcast yesterday previewing the B12. They were working through your roster and were genuinely shocked that there were no 300lbers on the DL. Shocked. I share that sentiment.

- LB could see little drop off, despite the loss of Murray, if Ugweogbu can be a dude who can play 30 snaps/game to keep White and Asamoah fresh.
Depth is shaky, again, with Mead as a 2nd stringer. Longterm, Will should be OK because Whitter and Morris seem like good prospects, and Odom can apparently teach.
Rush seems like a place OU could have some stars moving forward.

Really couching your bets there. Keep in mind your slim and trim DL is going to draw fewer double teams in conference play which bodes poorly for your inexperienced LBs efforts to get over the muck. 

- CB has three freshman listed as back ups. This probably isn't the case as Tre Norwood, who by all accounts is back and healthy, will serve as the back up for both CB slots.

Grinch likes him so much that Jaden Davis is starting. Norwood is faster than Davis, so the decision to start Davis at CB in the B12 is a pretty clear message that Norwood isn't a starting caliber corner with corner skills. But Grinch likes him. 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, quigley said:

OU has a history of DB's who had rough starts to their careers eventually developing into trusted players (Wolf and Lynn, eg) so there is the hope for development. I just don't think Bookie is big enough to hold up. I hope Norwood, or better yet Criddle, supplant him.

The sunniest framing, bravo sir. "OU has a history of rolling out unprepared underclassmen, but their colossal failures haven't totally broken their confidence and they can have decent bounce back campaigns". I agree that Norwood is better suited for NB, your depth just doesn't shake out to support that. 

You have a record prediction this year, Quigs? 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Pledger and Anton Harrison out for Saturday — sounds like more as well.

Drumm :: 

There will be 5-6 players, some starters, out for OU. I am skiddish on naming the players. Want to discuss how we want to handle this info before the game. You want this to happen this week and next week before Kstate, if you’re OU. That’s the only positive way to look at it.

The other good news, is that OU is getting closer and closer to running out of guys that can contract the virus. I’m guessing around half the team, maybe a bit more, has contracted it at some point between this spring/summer and now.

I will add that Rattler has already had Covid so you won’t have to worry about him in contact tracing or covid issues, I’m told.

Further from Drumm :

Look, I know you all have posted Pledger and Harrison being out for Covid/contacting tracing. 

I don’t want to jump the gun and post something that could end up potentially changing — though the chances are slim. 

Those two are guys I have heard from several sources and Brian even called me after he heard about those guys earlier this afternoon from a source. 

We have been trying to treat this situation delicately due to Riley and OU not wanting the names out at all. 

That said, I can say that at least that 5-7 guys will be out, that I know of, due to contact tracing/positive tests. 

As far as starters go, I have heard two for sure and im sure there are possibly more I don’t have confirmed. 

We will discuss how we want to handle this as a site going forward. It’s a tough thing to report on and we would rather error on the side of caution here. 

If we do update a list it will be tomorrow evening sometime. Just expect several guys out on Saturday. Better to have OU dealing with this issue now, rather than in conference play. Just my opinion. 

Lastly, Rattler has already had it earlier this summer. So that’s great news on contract tracing and positives with him going forward.

22 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Pledger and Anton Harrison out for Saturday — sounds like more as well.

Drumm :: 

There will be 5-6 players, some starters, out for OU. I am skiddish on naming the players. Want to discuss how we want to handle this info before the game. You want this to happen this week and next week before Kstate, if you’re OU. That’s the only positive way to look at it.

The other good news, is that OU is getting closer and closer to running out of guys that can contract the virus. I’m guessing around half the team, maybe a bit more, has contracted it at some point between this spring/summer and now.

I will add that Rattler has already had Covid so you won’t have to worry about him in contact tracing or covid issues, I’m told.

"skiddish"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

1. Floor is high because Bedenbaugh.

2. no 300lbers on the DL. Shocked. I share that sentiment...Really couching your bets there.

3. Norwood isn't a starting caliber corner with corner skills. But Grinch likes him. 🤷‍♂️

4. The sunniest framing, bravo sir.

5. You have a record prediction this year, Quigs? 

1. They started Swenson last year while he was hurt. Apparently he's healthy now. Since health and experience tend to produce better results, I believe Swenson could be better than he was last year. Please let me know how this is controversial. That said, apparently Bedenbaugh has said Harrison has more talent than any other OL on campus. I guess that includes Creed Humphrey, who's on a lot of AA teams.

2. OU's defense lost their best play at each level so there'll be a lot of uncertainty at baseline. With new starters at each DL position, that increases uncertainy. Add in a new strategy for DL, I guess focusing on speed/quick overall, there's a lot to learn. Now consider practice disruption and absences due to C-19

Certainty is foolish.

3. Norwood apparently missed a month in quarantine, apparently never positive. He play CB in 2018 and want the worst OU DB. Regardless of his physical limits, his experience and intelligence probably generate trust over 3 true Fr.

4. I really don't think the framing was out of line with the totally of these individual careers. I acknowledged that they had rough early careers. Regardless, it's my lens.

5. Through the Norwood story, I learned that OU isn't doing screening testing yet which means that they'll probably have multiple players out weekly.  Teams that have daily testing will avoid quarantine for many players and will thus have a lot less absences. This is a HUGE advantage. 

It looks like OU's elevating a lot of young players early this year. This may be to get experience for 2021, the year many OU fans (including me) have been pointing to as a real NC contender. With all this uncertainty, I could see a 7-3 or 8-2 OU season this year. If the defense is good, they could run the table. 

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

How long does a player have to stay out under "contact tracing" rules if they test negative??

I don't know the rule OU's using.

In general, if truly asymptomatic, 1 week would be sufficient but some are using 10 - 14 days. Logically, it should vary with the level of illness of the positive person and the extent of contact between the positive and the traced.

19 minutes ago, quigley said:

It looks like OU's elevating a lot of young players early this year. This may be to get experience for 2021, the year many OU fans (including me) have been pointing to as a real NC contender. With all this uncertainty, I could see a 7-3 or 8-2 OU season this year. If the defense is good, they could run the table. 

Thanks for the detailed write-up.  Glad to see another person stating the possibility of blOU with 3 losses in 2020.   No home games in Norman in October...

Edited by LTtxfan

If OU fields a meth/Covid free team this year, this Texas team is going to kick that ass back to Norman.  Recruits will see it and with Ewers as the future, this will be Herman's salvation.  We are going on a long run until Herman gets fat and eats too many cookies or kills himself recruiting in Florida.  

• Hook 'Em 1

In general, if truly asymptomatic, 1 week would be sufficient but some are using 10 - 14 days. Logically, it should vary with the level of illness of the positive person and the extent of contact between the positive and the traced.

Maybe that’s why half the team has had it

Maybe he just kept partying with dudes that kept getting it. Exposure one. Spend a week quarantining. Then Go out partying with your boys, one of whom gets it. Week 2 of quarantine. Rinse. Repeat.

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m starting to think Riley just going to magically not have 53 players when it comes time to play texas this year. 

Is there any way they try (at least before forfeiting) to delay the game to later in the year, so that they have their suspended players on the field against us?