OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

OU not liking their options at ILB?

Drumm-

Update

Spoke a bit with Sooners 2020 LB signee Brynden Walker. He says he is going to be on edge as a OLB. I think he may grow into a DE, but he is already a really good edge rusher as a stand-up OLB.

There was talk a few months ago that he would start at the inside. I just got clarification that is not the case anymore. Starting to see why OU is looking at up to three ILB and only one OLB.

So, I spoke to a few sources a few minutes ago about some things I will have more on by tomorrow morning on OU recruiting... BUT... I was asking about OLB numbers and ILB numbers for 2021 class. One source said OU is only taking one OLB and another said OU is taking "2-3" ILB in 2021. So, that piqued my interest a bit. I asked about the move of David Ugwoegbu to ILB and a source told me, "He is back at OLB. He will be in that group. Not going to move him inside as first was thought," the source said.

So, that means OU will be taking one DE, one OLB and 2-3 ILB in 2021. Changes some things up a bit, but Odom is in a good spot with some big-time ILB, and has one in-state that is a four-star, but yet be offered, in Collin Oliver. OU is liking Dallas Turner, Jeremiah Williams, and Clayton Smith at OLB. I will have more on them and some DE updates by tomorrow morning. Still doing some digging on a few other things.

Just wanted you all aware of the note I came across. Found it interesting as far as numbers go. That, and Ugwoegbu back at OLB/DE is intriguing cause I love his upside there.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

OU not liking their options at ILB?

Drumm-

Hide contents

Update

Spoke a bit with Sooners 2020 LB signee Brynden Walker. He says he is going to be on edge as a OLB. I think he may grow into a DE, but he is already a really good edge rusher as a stand-up OLB.

There was talk a few months ago that he would start at the inside. I just got clarification that is not the case anymore. Starting to see why OU is looking at up to three ILB and only one OLB.

So, I spoke to a few sources a few minutes ago about some things I will have more on by tomorrow morning on OU recruiting... BUT... I was asking about OLB numbers and ILB numbers for 2021 class. One source said OU is only taking one OLB and another said OU is taking "2-3" ILB in 2021. So, that piqued my interest a bit. I asked about the move of David Ugwoegbu to ILB and a source told me, "He is back at OLB. He will be in that group. Not going to move him inside as first was thought," the source said.

So, that means OU will be taking one DE, one OLB and 2-3 ILB in 2021. Changes some things up a bit, but Odom is in a good spot with some big-time ILB, and has one in-state that is a four-star, but yet be offered, in Collin Oliver. OU is liking Dallas Turner, Jeremiah Williams, and Clayton Smith at OLB. I will have more on them and some DE updates by tomorrow morning. Still doing some digging on a few other things.

Just wanted you all aware of the note I came across. Found it interesting as far as numbers go. That, and Ugwoegbu back at OLB/DE is intriguing cause I love his upside there.

I'm going to be real upset if they get Clayton Smith, and I'm going to be really fucking obnoxious if we get him. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

So, that means OU will be taking one DE, one OLB and 2-3 ILB in 2021.

I hope like hell that this is correct and those stupid fuckers only take 1 DE and 1 OLB this year, because that combined with the massive attrition will leave them behind all over the roster and with no clear or easy way to catch back up and/or restock because they will continue to be hemmed in by the 25 cap. Hell, even with 2/2 it'll put those guys directly on the 2 deep as FR. OU needs to be taking 14 defensive players this year, minimum.  I just can't figure out what Grinch is doing with David Ugwoegbu and Jamal Morris. I'm more than happy with the idea of the Sooners fucking their development up. 

From our earlier conversations on this topic

By my count, OU's going to have only 38 defensive player total next year, including guys who haven't been contributors the whole time they've been on campus.

DL depth chart ::

Defensive Ends:

Ronnie Perkins 6-3 247
Marcus Stripling 6-3 240
Isaiah Thomas 6-5 260

Nose Guards:

Jordan Kelley 6-3 293
Perrion Winfrey 6-3 283
Josh Ellison 6-2 279
Zach McKinney 6-3 258

Defensive Tackles:

Jalen Redmond 6-3 278
Laron Stokes 6-4 276
Kori Roberson 6-4 273
Marcus Hicks 6-5 272

that is a very shallow depth chart full of undersized guys that are entering their second year under Bennie Wylie (shoulder surgeon on line 1, please).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I hope like hell that this is correct and those stupid fuckers only take 1 DE and 1 OLB this year, because that combined with the massive attrition will leave them behind all over the roster and with no clear or easy way to catch back up and/or restock because they will continue to be hemmed in by the 25 cap. Hell, even with 2/2 it'll put those guys directly on the 2 deep as FR. OU needs to be taking 14 defensive players this year, minimum.  I just can't figure out what Grinch is doing with David Ugwoegbu and Jamal Morris. I'm more than happy with the idea of the Sooners fucking their development up. 

From our earlier conversations on this topic

DL depth chart ::

that is a very shallow depth chart full of undersized guys that are entering their second year under Bennie Wylie (shoulder surgeon on line 1, please).  

Hopefully they continue to use up ~3 counters per class to incoming offensive transfers, and continue to prioritize WR recruiting over everything else 

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

Clayton have any red flags? or is Drumm just saying shit?

Occam's Razor: OU backed off a player for red flags or Drumm is completely full of shit. 

I'm sorry but even typing 

OU backed off a player for red flags

chappelle show lol GIF

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Thiefery said:

Clayton have any red flags? or is Drumm just saying shit?

Given that it's OU, I would assume the red flag is that he's too smart or has too much character. Is Drumm the excon POS? I can't keep the OU 995er sacks of shit straight.

Edited by Bevo14

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Given that it's OU, I would assume the red flag is that he's too smart or has too much character. Is Drumm the excon POS? I can't keep the OU 995er sacks of shit straight.

Nah, that's James Hale. Drumm's just a homer idiot.

2 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

A red flag may just mean he wants to play school. 

Drumm with his 2021 class prediction at this point -- note he has a 25 man class here but I don't think they have 25 with the portal guys that they've signed, unless all of them count back to 2020? unsure.

they seem sure that OU will take a 5 WR class despite taking 10 the past 2 years.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

anyway - here we go ::

Last week was my first 2021 class prediction. It is linked HERE. Let's see what is different this week, if anything. Remember, this is just how I see it POTENTIALLY playing out as May 8th...

QB: Caleb Williams

(Sooners fans have fingers crossed this happens soon. Williams commitment could be the biggest magnet commitment in quite some time.)

RB: Camar Wheaton

(I think SMU is real for Wheaton, and so is Texas. I just think Murray wins out in the end. I also believe OU may just go with one RB in this class. Starting to get that feeling, and my confidence in AJ Green getting an RB offer is getting less and less as the weeks go by.)

WR: Cody Jackson, Mario Williams, Christian Leary, Jalil Farooq, and Malcolm Johnson.

(Jalil was vocal with me and others about his affinity for the Sooners. Malcolm Johnson talked up OU and playing with Williams a lot. Sooners want to use the speedster in the Hollywood Brown role. OU is making moves; I still hear positives with Leary and OU. That could change, though. We will see. Mario Williams is leaning heavily to OU, and Jackson is committed).

OL: Cullen Montgomery, Bryce Foster, and one or two more. If so, I will say Reuben Fatheree. Lastly, I will go with an outlier, and with Caleb Williams, in the class, I will say OU gets one or two shocking players. I by no means feel confident about this pick, but I do think if there is going to be a surprising big-name target choose OU, it will be at OL, WR, RB, LB, or DB.

In this case, I will go with OL and choose five-star OL Tristan Leigh. People around Caleb Williams camp seem confident in OU chances if Caleb decides on the Sooners. They have been talking a lot, and I am told OU speaks with Tristan and his mother almost daily. Add the solid virtual visit, and it gives some background for my pick. Again, I don't have much confidence in this pick, but I do think OU gets a couple, maybe three, big-name commits that no one saw coming in early May. I chose OL and a recent "visitor" as one.

Monty is committed. Foster seems to have OU in the lead with A&M always there because he is a legacy. Fatheree has visited OU a lot and is teammates with Cody Jackson.

DL/DE: Ethan Downs, Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge, Kelvin Gilliam, Tommy Akingbesote

(All can be inside/outside guys in Grinch's system. What he wants in DL/DE types. Akingbesote's head coach is close friends with Caleb Williams family.)

OLB/ILB: Danny Stutsman, Kendal Daniels (ATH/OLB/DB), Collin Oliver (I think he gets an offer at some point), Clayton Smith (OLB) ...

(Sooners got Stutsman to commit. He looks to be headed to four-star territory soon. Also, little known fact, Stutsman's father played on the same team as current Sooners TE Austin Stogner's father in college. I am told they were Baylor Bears together, and both were really good players. I just found that fact pretty interesting. Can confirm that the Stogner's played a role in OU getting Stutsman. Players and their families are the program's best recruiters. I will believe that till proven otherwise.

Daniels is a guy I think grows into an OLB/Edge rusher, and Collin Oliver will be too good to pass up. I think OU probably knows that already. Though I have admitted, I am not as confident as I was last week in him getting the offer. I do think he ends up with one — just a total guess.

Clayton Smith is just me picking an OLB that the Sooners seem to be focusing on. I think the virtual visit will be key going forward for Smith. OU still has a lot of hurdles here, but they are right there. Again, I am just taking a stab here due to the fact sources I speak with seem to think OU feels good about him. Texas leads, as noted earlier, but OU can make up ground, and I am guessing they do... Not confident at all, but have to pick an OLB, and on May 8th, I will pick Clayton Smith. )

DB: Jordan Mukes, Latrell McCutchin, Tommi Hill, Caleb Johnson, Khyree Jackson, Daymon David

(Mukes is committed. McCutchin and OU are something if you get what I am eyeing... I mean, talking about. Caleb Johnson is newly offered and hasn't played much DB. OU loved the limited DB film so much that they offered off WR film. Johnson is FAST and has all the tools to be a lockdown corner. SEC schools are coming in hot too, but I like the Sooners chances here. Khyree Jackson is just a gut feeling from the positive things I have heard recently. I will cover that on Monday or so. Daymon David has a very tight relationship with OU staff that dates back a bit.)

*** If they have room, they take one or two extra OL. I am just guessing how they allow this class to play out because they have a bunch of variables going forward. I went a bit off of numbers/need, and also off of what/who I thought best chances with going forward. That is one helluva class, in my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Drumm with his 2021 class prediction at this point -- note he has a 25 man class here but I don't think they have 25 with the portal guys that they've signed, unless all of them count back to 2020? unsure.

they seem sure that OU will take a 5 WR class despite taking 10 the past 2 years.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hide contents

Last week was my first 2021 class prediction. It is linked HERE. Let's see what is different this week, if anything. Remember, this is just how I see it POTENTIALLY playing out as May 8th...

(Sooners fans have fingers crossed this happens soon. Williams commitment could be the biggest magnet commitment in quite some time.)

(I think SMU is real for Wheaton, and so is Texas. I just think Murray wins out in the end. I also believe OU may just go with one RB in this class. Starting to get that feeling, and my confidence in AJ Green getting an RB offer is getting less and less as the weeks go by.)

WR: Cody Jackson, Mario Williams, Christian Leary, Jalil Farooq, and Malcolm Johnson.

(Jalil was vocal with me and others about his affinity for the Sooners. Malcolm Johnson talked up OU and playing with Williams a lot. Sooners want to use the speedster in the Hollywood Brown role. OU is making moves; I still hear positives with Leary and OU. That could change, though. We will see. Mario Williams is leaning heavily to OU, and Jackson is committed).

OL: Cullen Montgomery, Bryce Foster, and one or two more. If so, I will say Reuben Fatheree. Lastly, I will go with an outlier, and with Caleb Williams, in the class, I will say OU gets one or two shocking players. I by no means feel confident about this pick, but I do think if there is going to be a surprising big-name target choose OU, it will be at OL, WR, RB, LB, or DB.

In this case, I will go with OL and choose five-star OL Tristan Leigh. People around Caleb Williams camp seem confident in OU chances if Caleb decides on the Sooners. They have been talking a lot, and I am told OU speaks with Tristan and his mother almost daily. Add the solid virtual visit, and it gives some background for my pick. Again, I don't have much confidence in this pick, but I do think OU gets a couple, maybe three, big-name commits that no one saw coming in early May. I chose OL and a recent "visitor" as one.

Monty is committed. Foster seems to have OU in the lead with A&M always there because he is a legacy. Fatheree has visited OU a lot and is teammates with Cody Jackson.

(All can be inside/outside guys in Grinch's system. What he wants in DL/DE types. Akingbesote's head coach is close friends with Caleb Williams family.)

OLB/ILB: Danny Stutsman, Kendal Daniels (ATH/OLB/DB), Collin Oliver (I think he gets an offer at some point), Clayton Smith (OLB) ...

(Sooners got Stutsman to commit. He looks to be headed to four-star territory soon. Also, little known fact, Stutsman's father played on the same team as current Sooners TE Austin Stogner's father in college. I am told they were Baylor Bears together, and both were really good players. I just found that fact pretty interesting. Can confirm that the Stogner's played a role in OU getting Stutsman. Players and their families are the program's best recruiters. I will believe that till proven otherwise.

Daniels is a guy I think grows into an OLB/Edge rusher, and Collin Oliver will be too good to pass up. I think OU probably knows that already. Though I have admitted, I am not as confident as I was last week in him getting the offer. I do think he ends up with one — just a total guess.

Clayton Smith is just me picking an OLB that the Sooners seem to be focusing on. I think the virtual visit will be key going forward for Smith. OU still has a lot of hurdles here, but they are right there. Again, I am just taking a stab here due to the fact sources I speak with seem to think OU feels good about him. Texas leads, as noted earlier, but OU can make up ground, and I am guessing they do... Not confident at all, but have to pick an OLB, and on May 8th, I will pick Clayton Smith. )

DB: Jordan Mukes, Latrell McCutchin, Tommi Hill, Caleb Johnson, Khyree Jackson, Daymon David

(Mukes is committed. McCutchin and OU are something if you get what I am eyeing... I mean, talking about. Caleb Johnson is newly offered and hasn't played much DB. OU loved the limited DB film so much that they offered off WR film. Johnson is FAST and has all the tools to be a lockdown corner. SEC schools are coming in hot too, but I like the Sooners chances here. Khyree Jackson is just a gut feeling from the positive things I have heard recently. I will cover that on Monday or so. Daymon David has a very tight relationship with OU staff that dates back a bit.)

*** If they have room, they take one or two extra OL. I am just guessing how they allow this class to play out because they have a bunch of variables going forward. I went a bit off of numbers/need, and also off of what/who I thought best chances with going forward. That is one helluva class, in my opinion.

Oh this is really good even for Drumm..  Can't wait til his boards go in on him when they strike out on several these guys just so he can go "this board is nothing without my info" again.

7 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Hide contents

Stutsman's dad is buddies with the Stogners from his Baylor days? I knew the kid looked like a douche.

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

Stutsman's dad is buddies with the Stogners from his Baylor days? I knew the kid looked like a douche.

Yeah, I didn't know they were bros but it makes so much sense. I have a friend who knows the Stutsman dad and he is a complete assflute. 

I will say that even with Drumm's sunshine, that is a fucking shitty defensive class. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yeah, I didn't know they were bros but it makes so much sense. I have a friend who knows the Stutsman dad and he is a complete assflute. 

I will say that even with Drumm's sunshine, that is a fucking shitty defensive class. 

Outside of Smith and maybe Gilliam who in that defensive class looks elite/like a difference maker?? 

Drumm pumping up Smith seems like Lotushorn with Trey Sanders talk.

Looks like Collin Oliver has grown tired of waiting for OU and has moved up his commit date to the 15th and barring a huge surprise it will be OkState. The OU coaches either don't really like him or feel like they can flip him later but this guy looks like a damn good player at a need spot and is in-state as an Oklahoma kid. Feels a lot like I've seen this from the Texas staff (Deshaun White, etc). Will be a good get for Gundy and co. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Collin-Oliver-46084719/

Ian Boyd had a long article about the Texas D and the OU D and expectations for the season and blah blah. I didn't think there was too much to call out of interest, save for this one graphic and it's not really news to those of us on this board, but it certainly should be sobering for Sooner fans. 

Oklahoma’s cornerback options for 2020.

Oklahoma-CBs-for-2020.jpg

The main issue is one that I’ve been pointing out since investigating their 2020 recruiting class and surveying their overall recruiting at defensive back under Alex Grinch.

The gist of my concern for them is this, the best press-man cornerbacks are guys that have elite speed and athleticism. Grabbing big guys is just not the way to do it because while length and strength may help you jam a wideout, quick footwork is more effective and guys with length and strength are exactly the types that can get burned badly if the wide receiver does get a decent release. Here’s the rundown on Oklahoma’s cornerback room.

Obviously Boo Radley, Tre Norwood, and Bryson Washington are more likely to end up at nickel or safety than at cornerback. I listed them anyways because there’s not a ton of depth here for Oklahoma right now.

There’s a major difference between the guys at the top of the depth chart now and then the guys coming up next like DJ Graham and Joshua Eaton. The newer guys are substantially bigger and yet also meaningfully slower. If you look at the guys that Grinch has been offering for 2021, they’re also almost all larger players and over 6-0.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Ian Boyd had a long article about the Texas D and the OU D and expectations for the season and blah blah. I didn't think there was too much to call out of interest, save for this one graphic and it's not really news to those of us on this board, but it certainly should be sobering for Sooner fans. 

There’s also no chance Bryson Washington can play CB. 

11 minutes ago, golfclap said:

I will fully quit on Herman if we aren't in 4-wide sets for most of the RRS. We have 2-3 WRs that should consistently run by all but one of their coverage options and at least one of them should be perpetually streaking. And Tre Brown would have declared if he was good. Scheme the matchup and let Tarik/Washington/Omeire post him up all day.

• Like 2

Long corners are ideal for 2man coverage, which is the preferred passing down coverage the vast majority of the time in the nfl. It doesn’t work great in college though because running QBs and underneath routes are so prevalent, and the corners don’t get a chance to get their heads around to find ball carriers until they see the safeties diagnose the play and start to run upfield 

34 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

I will fully quit on Herman if we aren't in 4-wide sets for most of the RRS. We have 2-3 WRs that should consistently run by all but one of their coverage options and at least one of them should be perpetually streaking. And Tre Brown would have declared if he was good. Scheme the matchup and let Tarik/Washington/Omeire post him up all day.

Eagles is considerably bigger and faster than all their DBs. Yeah if Sam doesn't have a career day it'll be a disappointment.

Edited by Bevo14

On 5/11/2020 at 12:22 PM, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Did Yurcich use 4-wide very often at Okie Lite and Suckeyesville??

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn Autocorrect

If our new coordinators are good play callers we will look great while winning. Play calling the last 3 years was below average. On both sides of the ball. Forgot about ST, our new staff should also help tremendously. Tom's 1st staff was not Charlie levels bad but damn close.

On 5/11/2020 at 12:56 PM, Bevo14 said:

Eagles is considerably bigger and faster than all their DBs. Yeah if Sam doesn't have a career day it'll be a disappointment.

I agree our WRs should be open, but if our OL can’t learn to pick up twists and stunts, it won’t matter if we have Julio Jones.  

17 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I agree our WRs should be open, but if our OL can’t learn to pick up twists and stunts, it won’t matter if we have Julio Jones.  

I'm anxious to watch our OL vs. lsu and ou. I'm a believer in this years team but I do not trust our OL, need to see it. 

9 hours ago, Goodman said:

If our new coordinators are good play callers we will look great while winning. Play calling the last 3 years was below average. On both sides of the ball. Forgot about ST, our new staff should also help tremendously. Tom's 1st staff was not Charlie levels bad but damn close.

4 hours ago, Goodman said:

I'm anxious to watch our OL vs. lsu and ou. I'm a believer in this years team but I do not trust our OL, need to see it. 

Well, those are the million dollars questions. I’m pissed about our pathetic WR recruiting, but even after the studs on campus leave, we can afford a bad year or two. You can scheme open WRs. IF you have good coordinators. It’s the elephant in the room and we won’t know shit till after we play some games. The OL needs to improve but the biggest thing is playcalling, and it’s not even close. I want to be optimistic, but ive been Charlie Brown’d too many times the last decade by the Lucy Longhorn program. So I too am from Missouri. And I fucking hate Missouri, it is a miserable state. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

Noted in our thread, but it's gonna be a huge day for OU tomorrow. Barf.

https://247sports.com/Article/Oklahoma-Alabama-Texas-football-recruiting-Mario-Williams-Clayton-Smith-147156601/

We'll get Jonathan Brooks, so... hooray?

sucks but can you blame him... look at what they are putting in the league compared to us and it fucking sucks.

6 minutes ago, HeyMcFly said:

sucks but can you blame him... look at what they are putting in the league compared to us and it fucking sucks.

You literally only come into the recruiting forums to say "aw man, [aggy/OU] is doing really well right now aw bummer". Find a new schtick.

• Like 3