OU Recruiting 2021: David Boren's Fondle Force

texifornia

(Brandon Drumm) Drumm Beat: Good day for Sooners, but was it just the beginning?

*** Buzz from the Old Dominion State? ***

Days like today only come around so often -- even for elite programs like Oklahoma. To get two Top 247 commits in one day is something to be relished by OU fans everywhere. However, this seemed like a long time coming, and there is a lot of smoke elsewhere for the Sooners, too. Could that smoke just be remnants of the fire created today, or is it coming from a place where things are still heating up and ready to catch fire? According to some solid sources, I will lean with the latter. Let me explain it in the best way I can...

First let's start with the elephant in the room, and that is my crystal ball I put in for OU with 2021 four-star DL Kelvin Gilliam. There is some buzz around OU and Gilliam. Sources I talked with tell me that he has been in talks with a certain uncommitted QB, and the two have been talking about playing together. Also, sources I talked to around these parts feel like OU is trending in the right direction for Gilliam. His virtual visit was "the most detailed one I have had," Gilliam said after his virtual to OU a few weeks ago. "Coach Riley knows I am a Dallas Cowboys fan, so he was in a Cowboys jersey. It was so personal. Different than others I have been on, for sure." Another source told me that OU was one of the names he is constantly talking about, so it "wouldn't shock me at all if he chose Oklahoma," the source said. There are a few other details I can talk about a little bit further down the line, but with this not being a done deal I don't want to jump all the way in with Gilliam just yet. That is why my confidence level for the CB is at a 5 right now.

Another Virginia star that has buzz going about them and the Sooners is five-star offensive tackle Tristan Leigh. Now, I am fairly picky about my crystal ball picks that I put in, so don't read too much into it that I haven't put one in with Leigh just yet. The national perception with most is that Clemson is the team to beat with Leigh. That is probably still the case, but even talking to analysts with knowledge of that area, and Leigh himself, the Sooners are making a push here. We spoke about that in this Drumm Beat from earlier this week.

I talked to a source today that told me, "Don't be surprised to see Leigh and OU become a real thing in the near future," the source said. "He has been having some good talks with OU and other recruits about the Sooners. Even his mom is open to the idea, so this could get interesting between the Sooners, Clemson, and LSU."

Another source called the Sooners "top-2" and they thought it might be LSU and not Clemson fighting for the other spot. I am not ready to go that far it, but with the Sooners sitting in what seems like pole position for Caleb Williams, it puts the Sooners in a great spot for Leigh. The thing is, Clemson had a big lead for a long time, it seems. That lead may not be as wide, but the Sooners still have a lot of work to do, even if they have the upper hand on a few top targets that Leigh is close with and would like to play with in college.

*** OKPreps star getting closer?***

Another player that I have heard some solid things about lately is 2021 ATH Kendal Daniels . Daniels put out his top four of OU, Clemson, Texas A&M and LSU on Sunday. Clemson and A&M are the biggest threats, as of right now, in my opinion. The elite OKPreps star is close with staffers on both Clemson and A&M. However, Daniels has also been getting recruited by none other than five-star QB Caleb Williams to join him where he goes. Williams spoke about his recruiting of Daniels in one of his SI blogs in the last month or so.

The two have talked a bit over the last week, and a source told me, "Caleb and Daniels have talked a lot about playing together," the source noted. "Daniels sounds like he is getting close to a decision, so this could happen before by mid-July if I was to guess."

Now, with the NCAA extending the dead period again, it seems like as those that want to take official visits -- which is what Kendal wanted to do -- but announce before the start of the season aren't getting to do that. That could play into the Sooners hands here with Daniels already having visited OU unofficially on several occasions. Oklahoma has the upper hand here. His family would like him to be a Sooners, so this one could end quicker than I first thought. However, he has the opportunity to look around if he wants to do so, according to one source,"He has a lot of people around him that want him in Norman," the source said. "They want KD close enough so that they can go see him play every weekend, but they are letting him look around and see what he likes best." Family seems to be having some sway with Daniels putting out his top 4 earlier than what was originally planned, so him making a decision earlier than planned would be surprising, but not shocking -- if that makes sense.

I still think Daniels will be a Sooner by summers end, but the timeline of the decision is just me going off what sources have told me, as of late and my gut feeling. I feel very confident in my crystal ball.

*** Dallas Turn(ing) into a realistic option for the Sooners and what's next at OLB/DE after today? ***

We have talked about 2021 top 50 OLB/DE, Dallas Turner, on OUinsider for the last month and a half, if not more. The elite south Florida defender has been in consistent communication with the Sooners ever since he was offered after the hiring of Jamar Cain as OU OLB/DE coach. Cain has been working Turner very hard on the recruiting trail, and that hard work seems to be paying off, as Turner has made sure the Sooners feel like they are in his recruitment, and made them think they are one of the top schools he is looking at right now.

With all of the excitement of the Sooners landing 2021 four-star OLB Clayton Smith, and with the spots available at the OLB and DE positions becoming less robust and more limited allows Sooners OLB/DE coach, Jamar Cain, to focus on the three or so targets left for him to recruit. A source told me that OU is only taking one more OLB if it's an elite one and one more DE. The source added "(OU) has to take Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge, Jeremiah Williams, or Dallas Turner if any one of the two decides to commit."

The source knows where things stand with all three in their recruitments, and added, "Jeremiah has been very talkative with the Sooners ever since his conversation with Caleb Williams," as the source said. We touched on that in this Drumm Beat on Monday.

With NRK, he wants to check some things out but will decide when his gut tells him he is ready. The four-star DE had some good things to say about Sooners DE/OLB coach Jamar Cain, saying, "I love Coach Cain," NRK said. "He is one of my favorites to talk with, and Coach Riley is so genuine that I never feel like I am being fed false information. He genuinely cares about me as a person. He and Coach Cain are both that way."

A source that knows NRK and recruiting in that area seem to think OU is the leader here, and so do I. Miami (FL) is the other non-Pac12 school. Those sources seem to think NRK will end up staying with Washington State and playing both sports there, or heading off toe OU or Miami. The one school they feel is very much in play, without an offer is Stanford. The Cardinals would change everything up if they threw their name in the hat.

For Dallas Turner, he has been great with the Sooners, along with Coach Cain and Riley recruiting him. A source told me that this morning Turner and Coach Cain spoke a bit, and then Turner called Coach Riley via Facetime and had a solid conversation with the Sooners head coach this afternoon. The same source has been very adamant the last month about the Sooners quietly creeping up the list for Turner. The source said that the Sooners are the "unassuming team in his process right now."

OU is listed as "warm" on his 247 profile, but UGA has 100% of the crystal balls for Turner. He has been able to converse with former St Thomas Aquinas stars and current Sooners defensive players, Jaden Davis and Nik Bonitto, while they are back in Ft Lauderdale for the off-season. How much that has played a part in the Sooners chance is yet to be seen, but each time I speak with Turner and sources around him, I get the feeling OU has made more progress. Catching UGA could insurmountable, but the Sooners are in the door. Getting a few more big names committed to the LincUp21 class, along with more communication with other big targets like Caleb Williams, could make the Sooners even more of a challenger going forward.

*** So...***

With two huge pieces off the board for the Sooners, there are other recruits contacting OU about potentially coming on board in the LincUp21. I am told that 2021 Duncanville (TX) four-star OL Savion Byrd called Sooners head coach Lincoln Riley and offense line coach Bill Bedenbaugh, today, about his interest picking up for OU. You all know about Texarkana four-star DL Marcus Burris, but there is another big name recruit that has heavy interest in the Sooners, but we are unable to talk more about them due to the sensitivity of the matter as it stands today. If things stall out in the few weeks we will not only give the name, but go into detail how close this OU target came at being of the Sooners future.

We apologize for not being more clear, but unfortunately we can't be more descriptive at this time. However, I felt as members of this board it was important that we give you a scope of how much momentum is being built behind the scenes in recruiting for the Sooners. Again, we will go into much further detail when we know for sure this won't happen or when it does go public. Right now, there is just too many variables with said Sooners target.

Stay tuned. We will update when we get a bit more information.

Just now, Mason Ramsey said:

With Tua's little brother transferring to Maryland, is it safe to assume Riley lands Caleb Williams for sure?

He’s been recruiting for OU and showing up on other recruits virtual visits with the OU staff, so I think it’s a safe assumption. 

Just now, Mason Ramsey said:

Here's to hoping that scares off Ewers

Doesn’t look like it, sadly. TCU and OU have both been pushing that Tom Herman is on the hot seat and that his staff changes are proof that he is next to go and it’s working. This is one of the most consistent things you will hear rn from recruits and trainers that are interacting with either staff. They are also pushing the development/NFL angle hard because this is likely the last year that they can. 

Just now, golfclap said:

Doesn’t look like it, sadly. TCU and OU have both been pushing that Tom Herman is on the hot seat and that his staff changes are proof that he is next to go and it’s working. This is one of the most consistent things you will hear rn from recruits and trainers that are interacting with either staff. They are also pushing the development/NFL angle hard because this is likely the last year that they can. 

Fuck... recruiting is recruiting.  Time for this new Texas Staff to overcome this blOU/TCU negative recruiting bullshit and land more 2021 studs!!

5 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Here's to hoping that scares off Ewers

That’s our best hope at this point. 

Just now, golfclap said:

Everything Golfclap says here. Doesn’t mean we can’t still hope. But at the end of the day this staff just needs to perform this fall. If Herman wins everything falls into place. If not, Hermans toast anyway. So there isn’t too much reason to fret since it’s entirely out of the hands for anything other than wins. It’s not talent. It’s not academics. And in most cases it’s not even recruiting. Just wins and production. We beat LSU and OU and make noise, we’ll get a lion’s share. We don’t and Herman is done. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Yeah, for both the 2021 and 2022 classes, it’s all pretty much pointless right now. If Herman wins the conference and has a big season, all that negative recruiting will fade-away and we’ll land a bunch of big fish. If not, then we’re fucked anyways. 

3 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah, for both the 2021 and 2022 classes, it’s all pretty much pointless right now. If Herman wins the conference and has a big season, all that negative recruiting will fade-away and we’ll land a bunch of big fish. If not, then we’re fucked anyways. 

Letting the days go bye. Same as it ever was

I will say it sure seems like Riley’a recruiting, on both but (but particularly the defensive) sides of the ball have picked up recently. And what’s changed? Nothing that he can really sell to defensive recruits. But all of a sudden he’s landing these kids? Wonder if the 4-5 rich OU alum like ChiTown have opened back up the faucets. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I will say it sure seems like Riley’a recruiting, on both but (but particularly the defensive) sides of the ball have picked up recently. And what’s changed? Nothing that he can really sell to defensive recruits. But all of a sudden he’s landing these kids? Wonder if the 4-5 rich OU alum like ChiTown have opened back up the faucets. 

First defensive player they've had go in 1st rd since Tommie Harris? Or just opportunity and generally trending in right direction since removal of Mike Stoops?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, golfclap said:

This is what made the Tom double down on stupid, meathead decisions after year 1 & 2 so very short sided. 

I still think we win 10-12 games this year and only this current class is impacted. Get ready for the big contract extension. 

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma/Article/Jamar-Cain-OU-Football-Oklahoma-Sooners-New-Coach-143163347/

Could be the addition of Jamar Cain who supposedly is a "dynamic recruiter"??

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

He’s taken point on more recruits, and it’s made a big difference. Orgeron and Dabo do it more that other top head coaches, and it looks like Riley now following suit. I think Caleb Williams is also making a difference.l; frequently, the effect of bell-cow recruiters is overstated, but it’s made a difference here 

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Baylor is going to suck 

They only have 3 returning starters on D and are rolling out a new scheme/coach. 

Ok state is returning almost everyone on both sides of the ball. They should be switched for sure. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They only have 3 returning starters on D and are rolling out a new scheme/coach. 

Ok state is returning almost everyone on both sides of the ball. They should be switched for sure. 

Yep.  It's ridiculous how loaded they are.

And that we could very well lose for the 5th time in 6 years, to a school whose last 4 recruiting classes were ranked

Happy Sunday.

6 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Yep.  It's ridiculous how loaded they are.

And that we could very well lose for the 5th time in 6 years, to a school whose last 4 recruiting classes were ranked

Happy Sunday.

Who knows how OK State will look last game of the year.  Last year Sanders and Wallace were done for.  Not out of the question for Gundy to ride Hubbard for 30+ carries a game and he get dinged up.  We "should" be able to maul them on both lines.

Btw as much as OU has a history of shit defense, Grinch did turn them around into a top 20s defense and got a 1st rounder after 1 year.  I wouldnt be surprised to see a more successful OU defense moving forward unless Grinch also has a history of Orlando syndrome.

Edit: nvm it still ranked like shit after a double check.

Edited by westexhorn

22 hours ago, Getafix said:

Patterson/TCU last three seasons combined record:  23 - 16

Herman/Texas last three seasons combined record: 25 - 15

Sigh.

Yea, but with the context of being on the hot seat...

Patterson has a statue on campus and he's not going anywhere anytime soon. Hell, that record is pretty acceptable for TCU.

For Texas, that record has the Fire Tom Herman thread at 140 pages (granted it's buried on page 6 of the football board right now) and fans wondering if he'll earn job security this year.

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

We should use these testimony to negative recruit the hell out of them.

I mean it's obviously a fucking piece of shit school  in the shittiest part of the country. It negatively recruits itself. 

Edited by Bevo14

Hope this doesn't happen...

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/forecasting-ou-s-rivals250-success

54bd20139c09307b4e398c263476e050_bigger.    Mike Farrell   @rivalsmike
10h
Oh yes they could and probably will. #Sooners

Quote Tweet
scooplogo_normal.jpg
SoonerScoop.com    @SoonerScoop
· May 16
Could the #Sooners really land four 5-stars in the class of 2021? @BPrzybylo thinks that could be the case in his latest #LincUp21 forecast. https://rvls.co/364SpI9

Edited by LTtxfan

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

10h

Quote Tweet
scooplogo_normal.jpg
· May 16
Could the #Sooners really land four 5-stars in the class of 2021? @BPrzybylo thinks that could be the case in his latest #LincUp21 forecast. https://rvls.co/364SpI9

Wheaton?

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

https://oklahoma.rivals.com/news/forecasting-ou-s-rivals250-success

10h

Quote Tweet
scooplogo_normal.jpg
· May 16

2 of those guys will only be 5 stars on rivals and won’t be close to composite 5 stars by the end of the cycle. 

• Like 2