Big 12 2020 Season Notes

BigOrange1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lincoln Riley leaving?

Hope so...  Gil Brandt has said in the past that Lincoln Riley reminds him of a young Tom Landry.  Here's an old article...

New Oklahoma football coach Lincoln Riley impressed this insider years ago

By Jimmy Burch.  jburch@star-telegram.com

JUNE 07, 2017 

The timing of the conversation is a bit sketchy, so many years later. But the message remains crystal clear and rings louder today than it did when it was first delivered.  The discussion centered on Lincoln Riley, a little-known Texas Tech wide receivers coach at the time. Riley, 33, triggered nationwide Google searches Wednesday when he became the new head football coach at Oklahoma on the same day that predecessor Bob Stoops, 56, announced his immediate retirement.

Way back when, Gil Brandt didn’t need a Google search to enlighten me about the bright future he envisioned for Riley. Brandt, a NFL.com analyst and former Dallas Cowboys’ director of player personnel (1960-88), simply told me that Riley, in his estimation, projected as “the next great young coach in college football.” He rattled on, in great detail, about how impressed he’d been when watching Riley in action at Tech practices and in their conversations that followed.  I filed away the information, wondering if I’d ever need it, because Riley was about 26 at the time and serving on the staff of then-Tech coach Mike Leach. It’s not every day that a 26-year-old, former quarterback from Muleshoe High School morphs into college football’s next big thing in the coaching world.

As Riley’s career has blossomed, culminating with Wednesday’s upgrade to the big chair at Oklahoma, I often reflect on the day Brandt extolled the virtues of a player who cut short his college career after one season because he realized he’d make a bigger impact as a coach. Riley spent three seasons as a Tech student assistant (2003-05) before Leach upgraded him to a full-time position (2006-09). It was during that stretch, year unknown, when Brandt’s comments caused me to take a closer look at Riley.

Riley grabbed my full attention during his lone performance as Tech’s offensive play-caller, helping secure a 41-31 victory over Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl shortly after Leach’s ouster in December 2009. He followed with five strong seasons as offensive coordinator at East Carolina before moving to Oklahoma in 2015.  During his two seasons at OU, Sooners’ quarterbacks have posted the highest quarterback rating in the country with a combined mark of 179.8. Oklahoma has won the last two Big 12 titles and should be favored to make it three in a row in Riley’s debut season as the successor to Stoops, who walks away with the school record for career wins (190), one national championship (2000) and a gaudy winning percentage of .798 (190-48).

Justifiably, most of Wednesday’s accolades were heaped on Stoops, winner of 10 Big 12 titles during his 18 seasons in Norman, Okla. In a statement, former Texas coach Mack Brown, now an ESPN college football analyst, said Stoops “will be remembered as a Sooner legend.”   No doubt. But as the plaudits flowed Wednesday for Stoops, I found myself reflecting more on a solitary voice from yesteryear who assured me that Lincoln Riley could handle the role he accepted Wednesday.

We’ll soon learn if Brandt, 84, knocked this one out of the park as cleanly as he did several of his under-the-radar draft picks during the Cowboys’ glory years.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/article154944539.html

Edited by LTtxfan

On 1/1/2020 at 11:05 AM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Kansas State loses a bunch of Srs., including entire starting OL.  We start conference play against them next year so they may still be figuring things out.

Blacklock from TCU has declared.

@ Oklahoma State to end the season doesn't sound fun.

Reagor too. 

OSU also added an All Big 12 OL from WVU as a grad transfer, with two years of eligibility.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-adds-west-virginia-graduate-transfer-ol-josh-sills/

Also added a DL from Arky from the portal. Should be immediately eligible per recent precedent (coach was fired, moving closer to home).

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-lands-arkansas-transfer-dl-collin-clay/

I hope we're scouring the portal for CB. That is our most significant area of loss by graduation.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

OSU also added an All Big 12 OL from WVU as a grad transfer, with two years of eligibility.

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-adds-west-virginia-graduate-transfer-ol-josh-sills/

Also added a DL from Arky from the portal. Should be immediately eligible per recent precedent (coach was fired, moving closer to home).

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-lands-arkansas-transfer-dl-collin-clay/

I hope we're scouring the portal for CB. That is our most significant area of loss by graduation.

Motherfucker. Sills would've been a nice get for Texas, and I never even heard he was on the market. Does he have some connection to OSU?

Other than the “we have two new coordinators justification”, I do not see any way that Texas can beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and Baylor.  I think we will be OK against Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, and Iowa State since it’s at home.  

Will be helped by the fact that we get Baylor at home later in the year after our lines I have Gelled together for a while, they are coming back awfully stacked and Matt is a better coach than Herman by a landslide.  The two Oklahoma schools are just better than us and we’re gonna have to start to face that fact. 

But overall the conference will be about is above average as it was this year but I still don’t see us doing any better than six and three in it

10 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Other than the “we have two new coordinators justification”, I do not see any way that Texas can beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and Baylor.  I think we will be OK against Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, and Iowa State since it’s at home.  

Will be helped by the fact that we get Baylor at home later in the year after our lines I have Gelled together for a while, they are coming back awfully stacked and Matt is a better coach than Herman by a landslide.  The two Oklahoma schools are just better than us and we’re gonna have to start to face that fact. 

But overall the conference will be about is above average as it was this year but I still don’t see us doing any better than six and three in it

WTF is with you?  First, you tried to claim OU would only be losing three players in a previous thread and now you're saying that Baylor is coming back awfully strong?  They're losing like 10 or 11 guys to graduation alone and there's a very good chance James Lynch declares, which woudl mean they lose all three DL that made their drop 8 scheme work this year. They do not come back strong at all. Oklahoma State is not better than us. We beat them this year and had a better record overall.  They'll be good next year, but they're not some top 10 juggernaut. 

Also, the conference was not above average at all this year. It was fairly down and will be again next year. Competent coaching should pretty easily lead us to top 2 finish. 

Edit: And you're glossing over the very real possibility that one or both of Riley and Rhule leave for the NFL.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Okay, so we're going 9-0 in conference then?  I don't get it.  Either we lose some games next year or we don't.  

See below. 

Warmest Regards,

Burt Macklin 

Secret Agent 

Federal Bureau of Investigation

100 State Street

Pawnee, Indiana 47998

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

You write and think like a baboon.

Edited by Burt Macklin

1 minute ago, Lobo said:

Okay, with the conference shaping up as it is for 2020...do you think we will lose any football games to any other football teams in the Big XII?  

Are you attempting one of these dipshitted BBS games where you try to lure people into guessing a specific loss in the future so that when it doesn't happen, you can come back and say "nanny nanny boo boo!"? It's fucking dumb and waters down the thread. We get it, you shit yourself at night in fear over Baylor and Oklahoma State. The rest of us don't. Move on.

• Haha 1

Yeah, that really has been my track record, I'm genuinely curious where y'all see us stumbling in 2020.  Sometimes football message boards pontificate about how their team may do against other opponents in the following season.   5-5 against Baylor in the last decade and I think they can take us this year.  It's more of a macro topic on the Big XII so I'll leave game-by-game predictions for the other thread.  I actually hope Baylor isn't that great next year so our Halloween game is in the morning/afternoon, but I think Baylor comes to Austin at 6-1 with their lone loss at OU and we end up in primetime giving rise to millions of kids left to trick or treat alone as Dads watch this game.  

Tell you what though, we beat Baylor and OU and you can be my guest on the Southwest Airlines flight to Stillwater for the OSU game after Thanksgiving.  

Edited by Lobo

14 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, that really has been my track record, I'm genuinely curious where y'all see us stumbling in 2020.  Sometimes football message boards pontificate about how their team may do against other opponents in the following season.   5-5 against Baylor in the last decade and I think they can take us this year.  It's more of a macro topic on the Big XII so I'll leave game-by-game predictions for the other thread.  I actually hope Baylor isn't that great next year so our Halloween game is in the morning/afternoon, but I think Baylor comes to Austin at 6-1 with their lone loss at OU and we end up in primetime giving rise to millions of kids left to trick or treat alone as Dads watch this game.  

Tell you what though, we beat Baylor and OU and you can be guest on Southwest Airlines to Stillwater for the OSU game after Thanksgiving.  

Here's the thing.  None of us are saying we WILL win all those games because we've seen how our coaching incompetence can impact us.  What we are saying is that on the basis of talent we shouldn't be at a disadvantage against anyone other than maybe LSU.  Is it possible our coaching still sucks and we lose some of them?  Yes.

The difference is that you aren't hedging on that basis.  You're tryimg to say all those teams have talent advantages which simply isn't true.

16 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Tell you what though, we beat Baylor and OU and you can be my guest on the Southwest Airlines flight to Stillwater for the OSU game after Thanksgiving.  

What are we, hobos? I don't fly SWA unless the Falcon is in for maintenance and all of the airlines with 1st class seating have gone on strike. I'll be in either NYC at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade or Park City for Thanksgiving, scoffing at any poor bastard lowering themselves to Oklahoma territory for Thanksgiving festivities, UT game included. 

That all considered, Baylor isn't beating Texas in 2020. If Herman can actually continue to hire competent staff, I expect an 11-1 or 12-0 regular season followed by a conference title and a slot in the CFP. I'm not kidding and I don't need to re-calibrate my settings. Fuck Herman if he isn't up to the task.

• Like 4

Lolz Southwest Airlines.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That all considered, Baylor isn't beating Texas in 2020. If Herman can actually continue to hire competent staff, I expect an 11-1 or 12-0 regular season followed by a conference title and a slot in the CFP. I'm not kidding and I don't need to re-calibrate my settings. Fuck Herman if he isn't up to the task.

That's the fucking stuff I ordered.

tH2Sha.gif

• Like 1

I was almost certain Brewer was concussed last night, however, reports indicate Rhule is saying it's a neck injury and the head is not a problem.  Then again, earlier in the year Rhule left him in a game after clearly getting concussed; the refs had to intervene and take him out.  That was a first for me to see.  

IIRC, the first two concussions within a given time period aren't significant but after the third, the chances of getting another one increases drastically.

Edited by The Whistler

19 minutes ago, 'stache said:

All the OSU coaches and players are tweeting Canadian flags, including Gundy. Everyone thinks Chuba has told the team he's coming back. Fingers crossed.

Holy shit, with the mileage Gundy put on him this year, that's a crazy decision for his career. Good for y'all, obviously.

28 minutes ago, 'stache said:

All the OSU coaches and players are tweeting Canadian flags, including Gundy. Everyone thinks Chuba has told the team he's coming back. Fingers crossed.

You lost your OC to Buttgers