Big 12 2020 Season Notes

BigOrange1

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You lost your OC to Buttgers 

And OSU's offense will keep rolling, especially if Chuba comes back with Wallace already set to return. OSU is gonna be fine. Doesn't mean we aren't kicking their ass next year. 

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You lost your OC to Buttgers 

If the rumors are true, we're gonna be pretty happy with his replacement. Bigger news is that we managed to keep WR coach Kasey Dunn from taking an OC position with UNLV for Marcus Arroyo, who was our RB coach a few years ago. Dunn has served the longest and coached Blackmon, Washington, Wallace, etc. 

On 1/2/2020 at 2:07 PM, Lobo said:

Other than the “we have two new coordinators justification”, I do not see any way that Texas can beat Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and Baylor.  I think we will be OK against Kansas State, TCU, Texas Tech, West Virginia, and Iowa State since it’s at home.  

Will be helped by the fact that we get Baylor at home later in the year after our lines I have Gelled together for a while, they are coming back awfully stacked and Matt is a better coach than Herman by a landslide.  The two Oklahoma schools are just better than us and we’re gonna have to start to face that fact. 

But overall the conference will be about is above average as it was this year but I still don’t see us doing any better than six and three in it

Only game that should be a toss up is ou.  Rest of this conference is garbage.

Hubbard should absolutely go. It only takes one stupid hit on a knee. And quite frankly I’m not sure he can really increase his stock value much. At least I don’t think the risk/reward is worth it. But maybe he just loves OSU and wants one more year.

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

Holy shit, with the mileage Gundy put on him this year, that's a crazy decision for his career. Good for y'all, obviously.

Agreed.  Gundy was consistently giving him 30 or even 40 carries a game.  Why would he put himself through another season of that when he could hop to the NFL?

25 minutes ago, CDAK said:

Agreed.  Gundy was consistently giving him 30 or even 40 carries a game.  Why would he put himself through another season of that when he could hop to the NFL?

And yet Gundy only gave him 19 carries against aggy even though he was averaging 8.3 yards a carry.

6 minutes ago, DFW Horn said:

SWA doesn't have any flights to Backwater, for starters. Tulsa is only 70 miles away, though.

Well, in 2016 we flew SWA to Stillwater.  But we had to fly back to Austin from OKC because of the runway length.  

5 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

he had 4 games of 30+ carries and 0 games of 40 carries.

You're right.  I thought he had a game with 40 carries but it looks like he didn't.  He did have 39 touches against us.  

He led the country in rushing attempts.  If he comes back, I don't see Gundy dialing down his workload.  I think he would be asinine to come back and subject himself to 325+ carries and 20+ receptions at OSU.  I assume he's not going to improve his draft stock significantly by coming back.

12 hours ago, taybo20 said:

Hubbard should absolutely go. It only takes one stupid hit on a knee. And quite frankly I’m not sure he can really increase his stock value much. At least I don’t think the risk/reward is worth it. But maybe he just loves OSU and wants one more year.

Yeah, Chuba returning for another year at Okie Lite at running back could end up costing him a lot of money while not likely increasing his draft position that much. Totally agree Chuba should leave early if his goal is to play in the NFL.

SI: "Chuba Hubbard led the nation in rushing yards with 2,094 yards leading many running backs who played in even more games than Hubbard had himself. Hubbard is also second in the nation in rushing touchdowns earning him a Doak Walker Award finalist position."

Edited by LTtxfan
Damn Autocorrect changes Chuba to China

After watching Baylor’s two games against OU and the buttfucking at the Sugar Bowl, I don’t understand all the Rhule ball gargling. Just seems like a guy that took advantage of a weak Big12. Ha can beat the poorly coached teams, but doesn’t produce in big games. Also, can’t seem to teach his QB to protect himself on the field.

I mean, that’s cool how he took them from 1-11 to conference runner up (in a very weak Big12), but am I missing something? I don’t disagree that he’s good coach, but I’m not ready to crown him as “clearly superior to TH”. After all, Tom Herman is the one that managed to beat Georgia convincingly, despite having TO and Beck on his staff.

9 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

After watching Baylor’s two games against OU and the buttfucking at the Sugar Bowl, I don’t understand all the Rhule ball gargling. Just seems like a guy that took advantage of a weak Big12. Ha can beat the poorly coached teams, but doesn’t produce in big games. Also, can’t seem to teach his QB to protect himself on the field.

I mean, that’s cool how he took them from 1-11 to conference runner up (in a very weak Big12), but am I missing something? I don’t disagree that he’s good coach, but I’m not ready to crown him as “clearly superior to TH”. After all, Tom Herman is the one that managed to beat Georgia convincingly, despite having TO and Beck on his staff.

Yeah. You’re missing how shitty the roster was when he took over. They can’t beat good teams this year because they’re at a huge talent disadvantage, unlike Texas. If their talent was anywhere near OU’s in that CCG, they would’ve won the conference this year. So yeah, most of their performance was due to good coaching making up for a lack of talent. Rhule can coach, and he’s absolutely a better coach than Herman so far. It’s not even close. 

• Like 7

On 1/4/2020 at 6:52 AM, LTtxfan said:

Yeah, Chuba returning for another year at Okie Lite at running back could end up costing him a lot of money while not likely increasing his draft position that much. Totally agree Chuba should leave early if his goal is to play in the NFL.

SI: "Chuba Hubbard led the nation in rushing yards with 2,094 yards leading many running backs who played in even more games than Hubbard had himself. Hubbard is also second in the nation in rushing touchdowns earning him a Doak Walker Award finalist position."

My friend who is a scout for an NFL team disagrees with you. :) Of course, that's just his opinion, but he currently sees Hubbard as a 3rd round pick.  That's pretty good, obviously, and he would still make a lot of money, but he said that he could absolutely increase his draft status by coming back and putting up big numbers next year.

Also - with Dobbins and Taylor coming out this year, it's a pretty deep RB class.  If he stays, he would go into next year as the odds on favorite to be the first RB taken in the 2021 draft.  That's likely not the case this year.

In terms of work load, remember that it's not like he's a guy who has started 3 years going into his senior year.  He has essentially just  shade over one season of starts under his belt and is a RS sophomore. 

The only thing that will cost him money by not going out this year is forgoing one year of an NFL paycheck on the front end of his career.  That's not insignificant given the brevity of they typical career of an NFL running back. That's a good enough reason to go out this year, IMO. 

If he stays, he won't damage his draft status by coming back next year and putting up huge numbers...as a RS junior... Especially if he improves on his known areas of weakness - pass protection being primary.

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

My friend who is a scout for an NFL team disagrees with you. :) Of course, that's just his opinion, but he currently sees Hubbard as a 3rd round pick.  That's pretty good, obviously, and he would still make a lot of money, but he said that he could absolutely increase his draft status by coming back and putting up big numbers next year.

Also - with Dobbins and Taylor coming out this year, it's a pretty deep RB class.  If he stays, he would go into next year as the odds on favorite to be the first RB taken in the 2021 draft.  That's likely not the case this year.

In terms of work load, remember that it's not like he's a guy who has started 3 years going into his senior year.  He has essentially just  shade over one season of starts under his belt and is a RS sophomore. 

The only thing that will cost him money by not going out this year is forgoing one year of an NFL paycheck on the front end of his career.  That's not insignificant given the brevity of they typical career of an NFL running back. That's a good enough reason to go out this year, IMO. 

If he stays, he won't damage his draft status by coming back next year and putting up huge numbers...as a RS junior... Especially if he improves on his known areas of weakness - pass protection being primary.

He'll likely get fewer carries next year if he returns and likely won't break 2000 yards. We rode him to death this year out of necessity because Sanders was a turnover machine for about half the season and our backup running back regressed to a point he was completely useless. We should have a more reliable passer and a more competent backup running backs. And Chuba (if he returns) should still get plenty of carries and yards and highlight breakaways and still improve his draft stock even if the overall numbers are down. With a more reliable passing games his YPC could increase.

Edited by 'stache

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Agree.  He looked really worn down to me in the bowl game.  Get your money while there's still plenty of tread left.

Edited by ClubWhatever

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

Agree.  He looked really worn down to me in the bowl game.  Get your money while there's still plenty of tread left.

He went for 158 yards at 8.3 ypc when A&M's whole defensive game plan was focused on stopping him.

That's "worn down?"  :) 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
6 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I don't know why anyone gives a fuck about the conference. Just beat the shit out of everyone we play and Texas will be in the playoff. 

Maybe ya'll are thinking of all the times OU has suffered from the B12 being weak? Oh wait.....that never fucking happened. Just win. 

It doesn't matter, until it matters. When 3 teams from the SEC get in along with Clemson, you still be wishing we weren't in the "toughest road" conference. Other teams can be 2 loss and go to CFP, we have to be perfect and beat the other decent team in the league twice.

9 minutes ago, Zeus said:

It doesn't matter, until it matters. When 3 teams from the SEC get in along with Clemson, you still be wishing we weren't in the "toughest road" conference. Other teams can be 2 loss and go to CFP, we have to be perfect and beat the other decent team in the league twice.

There is no chance in hell a B12 champ Texas with 2 losses doesn't get in over 3 SEC teams, 2 of which will have at least 1 loss. It would also be very unlikely for 2 non conference winning SEC teams to only have 1 loss. 

This year is going to be messy for most teams. 

Edit: Yea, there hasn't been 3 teams in the SEC with 1 loss or less in the 15 years I looked up. The last time there were 2 was 2011. 

Edited by totallynotabuttpirate

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Same as it ever was. It's OU's conference and a couple teams occasionally jump up to win it but are typically never a threat to them. It would be nice if we could muster up enough talent to win this shitty conference. 

We should never ever ever finish worse than 2nd in this shitty conference. Last decade, and I could be wrong, but we finished worse than 2nd in like 8 of those years

This season was supposed to be the BIGXII time to shine. Just us, ACC, and SEC in the spotlight. We all know that ACC is basically just Clemson, and SEC is basically just Alabama and maybe an occasional LSU or Florida. So this was setup perfectly for the BIGXII and so far they comes out and aside from WVU lay a big egg out the gate.

Edited by MillerEP

11 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Same as it ever was. It's OU's conference and a couple teams occasionally jump up to win it but are typically never a threat to them. It would be nice if we could muster up enough talent to win this shitty conference. 

It’s very frustrating we can’t 

24 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

There is no chance in hell a B12 champ Texas with 2 losses doesn't get in over 3 SEC teams, 2 of which will have at least 1 loss. It would also be very unlikely for 2 non conference winning SEC teams to only have 1 loss. 

This year is going to be messy for most teams. 

Edit: Yea, there hasn't been 3 teams in the SEC with 1 loss or less in the 15 years I looked up. The last time there were 2 was 2011. 

They all play each other more this year, mega gauntlet will be the story. Big12 with 2 losses doesn't get in over SECSECSEC teams. There's a reason they say SECSECSEC three times.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

We (and ou) are going to have to beat the shit out of all of these teams, and UT, OU, and OSU will need to only lose to each other for the conference to get a cfp bid. 

so don’t let off the gas. Hang 60 when you can. 

Then they will say the big12 doesn't play defense.

The only way in is a near perfect season. We can only afford 1 regular season loss to make CFP even with a missing B1G (who may even be coming back)

21 minutes ago, MillerEP said:

This season was supposed to be the BIGXII time to shine. Just us, ACC, and SEC in the spotlight. We all know that ACC is basically just Clemson, and SEC is basically just Alabama and maybe an occasional LSU or Florida. So this was setup perfectly for the BIGXII and so far they comes out and aside from WVU lay a big egg out the gate.

I never thought there were many good teams in the Big XII this year.  We really need to win it now.

• Fuck You 1