Big 12 2020 Season Notes

BigOrange1

7 hours ago, Zeus said:

TCU called off their ass whopping against SMU

Kansas State is getting their stones pounded by Arkie Lite

Iowa State getting shit on by the Louisiana Raging Cajuns

Great start to the big 12 football season

So Kansas and Texas Tech also not showing up. Jesus this conference is dogshit. When is the next chance to go independent? 2033 or something?

35 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I don’t want to be like Nebraska/Aggie/Missouri and leave a conference just because we can’t win it.

Hate to be that guy, but you do realize you have 1 more B12CC than Nebraska does right?

Edited by mulletpelini
who am I kidding? I love to be that guy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

The Big 12 is going to be horrendous this season. KU, KSU, TTU and ISU have all been confirmed to be trash. If Herman doesn't win this dumpster fire of a conference with the team he has this season it'll be embarrassing. Outside of Texas, OU and Okie St nobody is going to be any good. Baylor is breaking in a new coaching staff along with 9 new starters on defense and TCU isn't going to win much without a QB.

11 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

This really shouldn’t work for Texas and OU anymore.   We’ve been hurt by association in this conference for the last decade, and the reputation of the league is only going to get worse.

This is maybe the dumbest reaction I can imagine. We haven’t been hurt by anything.  We’ve fucking sucked. Meanwhile, OU has gotten into the playoff for 4 years, so they’re not being hurt either. If anything, it helps us because it provides us with an easy path to the playoff (if we were ever any good).

Also, the Big 12 was widely considered the 3rd best conference last year, so this idea that the Big 12 is way worse than all the other P5 conferences isn’t even legitimate. 

Tl;dr Texas has sucked. If we were good, bring in the Big 12 would be helping us. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Well no shit if an elite team plays against Kansas instead of Alabama it makes it easier to go undefeated.  But it’s harder to be an elite team in a conference with a second rate reputation.  We sucked in part because of the league we were in.  Neither Texas nor OU recruited the number of NFL players in the 2010s that they did in the 2000s.  We still should have done much better on the field, especially relative to teams like Baylor, Okie State and TCU, but we weren’t in the big leagues and that put a ceiling on recruiting on top of all our other issues.  And not having talent was the ultimate problem.

By your logic, we would have been better off in the SWC.  Why exactly do you think our football and basketball programs became markedly better on a national level after joining the Big 12 than they were in the last years of the SWC?  I guess you think we would have been even more relevant in the SWC.  Think of how much easier it would have been for us to win national championships by playing all our games against Rice and SMU!

Yea Clemson has really suffered from playing in the dumpster fire ACC. 

We've sucked ergo we're not getting or producing as much NFL caliber talent, period. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Well no shit if an elite team plays against Kansas instead of Alabama it makes it easier to go undefeated.  But it’s harder to be an elite team in a conference with a second rate reputation.  We sucked in part because of the league we were in.  Neither Texas nor OU recruited the number of NFL players in the 2010s that they did in the 2000s.  We still should have done much better on the field, especially relative to teams like Baylor, Okie State and TCU, but we weren’t in the big leagues and that put a ceiling on recruiting on top of all our other issues.  And not having talent was the ultimate problem.

By your logic, we would have been better off in the SWC.  Why exactly do you think our football and basketball programs became markedly better on a national level after joining the Big 12 than they were in the last years of the SWC?  I guess you think we would have been even more relevant in the SWC.  Think of how much easier it would have been for us to win national championships by playing all our games against Rice and SMU!

1 hour ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

Yea Clemson has really suffered from playing in the dumpster fire ACC. 

We've sucked ergo we're not getting or producing as much NFL caliber talent, period. 

Yeah, none of your points make any sense. We still recruit at an elite level, so the conference isn’t dragging us down. Our recruiting issues have been due to poor performances on the field, not conference perception. 
We just need to be better. If we were, the conference would be a non-factor just like it’s been for Clemson and Oklahoma. THe ACC has been an absolute dumpster fire the whole time Clemson’s been elite. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fellside said:

I feel like the "conference sucks, let's leave" people probably match on the Venn Diagram with the "religiously checks the pointless conference realignment thread" people.

Last time I looked at the realignment thread it was 1,400 posts and diagrams by Kopple  

Heard Danny Kanell on ESPNU today, he went on a rant bashing the B12 as an entire conference that doesn’t play a physical brand of football.  All the teams suck except possibly OU is ok, and the lack of practice and cohesion from COVID proved it when a bunch of scrubs played smash mouth on the conference yesterday.   Immediately following that he said watch out for Georga Tech, they are sneaky good this year.   

He was a scrub who’s main claim to fame was backup QB to Charlie Ward when they won a MNC that should have gone to Domers. Dome kicked their ass, but choked to BC a few weeks later on a walk of field goal.  

I mean, the B12 is a dumpster fire right now, there’s what, 2 HCs with tenures >3 years and half are in their 1st year?  Add COVID to the mix and it’s probably an ugly year.   We were the best conference top to bottom in the 2000’s and fell to the middle of the pack over the past decade largely because we sucked    Still, until this year B12 has been better than PAC or ACC collectively   

10 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Go independent, play whoever the fuck we want, stop sharing money with Baylor. Problem solved. 

Aggy isn't getting any better going to the SEC as far as I can tell, they had that one magical Jonnie football year then it's been shit. Jumbo shrimp Fisher is the perfect coach for them though.

19 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Go independent, play whoever the fuck we want, stop sharing money with Baylor. Problem solved. 

I would prefer that to being in another conference.

But I just don't think independence is viable in today's college football. Even Notre Dame is fake independent.

6 hours ago, Zeus said:

Aggy isn't getting any better going to the SEC as far as I can tell, they had that one magical Jonnie football year then it's been shit. Jumbo shrimp Fisher is the perfect coach for them though.

Good Lord, aggie does enough embellishment on their own without us trying to assist. What the fuck is magical about placing 3rd in their division and 5th in their conference? They got lucky and slipped up on Saban one time. Please don't help aggie perpetuate their unsubstantiated myths.

7 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

But I just don't think independence is viable in today's college football. Even Notre Dame is fake independent.

Technically, Notre Dame isn’t independent at all this year. Saturday against Duke was their first conference game ever.

21 hours ago, Chad said:

The Big 12 is going to be horrendous this season. KU, KSU, TTU and ISU have all been confirmed to be trash. If Herman doesn't win this dumpster fire of a conference with the team he has this season it'll be embarrassing. Outside of Texas, OU and Okie St nobody is going to be any good. Baylor is breaking in a new coaching staff along with 9 new starters on defense and TCU isn't going to win much without a QB.

Pretty sure those teams haven't been the ONE blocking Herman from that conference championship...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Problem is the two most mentioned names BIG and PAC aren’t even playing football right now.  Football doesn’t seem to be as important in those conferences especially the PAC so be careful what you wish for.  

If we make it to the CCG game in December and have a clear shot of making the CFP with a win, will y'all still be bitching about the sun belt losses from this past Saturday?  Will y'all still want to go independent because you just can't take KU losing any more games against G5/FCS level of schools?

• Hook 'Em 3

If we make it to the CCG game in December and have a clear shot of making the CFP with a win, will y'all still be bitching about the sun belt losses from this past Saturday?  Will y'all still want to go independent because you just can't take KU losing any more games against G5/FCS level of schools?

No. That is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to this conference as a whole.

48 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

There’s limited teams this year so if we go undefeated, we’ll get in the playoffs. Have a decent showing in the playoffs, then we start to build that benefit of doubt Clemson has being in a weak conference. If there’s any year for the big 12 to be horrendous this is it thankfully 

In both 2009 and 2005 the Big 12 was unusually weak and it did not hurt us either time.

55 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Not if that one loss team is texas

This. If tOSU doesn’t play enough games, and Texas or OU win then conference, they’re guaranteed in regardless of number of losses. If tOSU play, then they any need to avoid losing more than one game so a second SEC team doesn’t beat them, but UGA doesn’t even have a good starting QB right now, so I don’t think they’ll be nearly as much of a threat. ND or UNC could be the other threat if their only loss is to Clemson, but neither looked all that good Week 1and the only good win they’ll possibly have will be beating the other one. 

Either way with the limited OOC, style points matter now more than ever, so I’m glad we have an OC who goes all has no breaks for 60 minutes and a DC who coaches sound, fundamental football instead of hemorrhaging points and yards even when we win. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

A 1 loss Texas/OU isn’t getting in over a 1 loss Clemson/Alabama if it came to that scenario.

There are four teams in the playoff not two though. And being in another conference is not going to help us against Clemson or Alabama because of their recent success, but that has nothing to do with how great the ACC is in Clemson's case.

Edited by Valmy77

There are four teams in the playoff not two though. And being in another conference is not going to help us against Clemson or Alabama because of their recent success, but that has nothing to do with how great the ACC is in Clemson's case.

I’m saying that if it came down to it and there are two undefeated teams and two 1 loss teams in the playoff that the big 12 would not get the benefit of doubt due to this seasons performance so far vs a Clemson or Alabama with 1 loss