Big 12 2020 Season Notes

BigOrange1

On 9/13/2020 at 10:09 AM, Chad said:

The Big 12 is going to be horrendous this season. KU, KSU, TTU and ISU have all been confirmed to be trash. If Herman doesn't win this dumpster fire of a conference with the team he has this season it'll be embarrassing. Outside of Texas, OU and Okie St nobody is going to be any good. Baylor is breaking in a new coaching staff along with 9 new starters on defense and TCU isn't going to win much without a QB.

I wouldn't automatically discount both TCU and Baylor until we see them play. Baylor was an unranked team last year at this time and they won 11 games. Just saying....

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Extra Anejo said:

I wouldn't automatically discount both TCU and Baylor until we see them play. Baylor was an unranked team last year at this time and they won 11 games. Just saying....

Baylor lost a great coach and most of their best players.

TCU should be dangerous, both to other teams and the female population of Fort Worth.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

I’m saying that if it came down to it and there are two undefeated teams and two 1 loss teams in the playoff that the big 12 would not get the benefit of doubt due to this seasons performance so far vs a Clemson or Alabama with 1 loss

And who would be these other two undefeated teams be? Georgia or Florida if they win the East and beat Bama in the SEC title game, UNC? UCF? You’re  creating a scenario that isn’t even realistic.

4 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

You do realize Baylor is replacing 9 starters on the unit that was the strength of their team last season, right? They'll be breaking in an entirely new coaching staff with a shortened off season, that's not an ideal recipe for a seamless transition. Any chance TCU had to be decent went down the tubes when Duggan opted out.

6 minutes ago, Extra Anejo said:

TCU hasn’t actually been good in years now, and they literally don’t have a QB. They won’t be good. Baylor lost a ton of players and Brewer sat out a lot of the offseason due to lingering concussion issues. He’s entering Senior year David Ash territory so he’s almost guaranteed to not make it through the season. 

1 minute ago, Xian said:

So, fuck every other big 12 team. 

Damn right. Them sucking just helps us crush them and win Sam the Heisman and should be greeted with rejoicing not hand wringing about how we need to go prostrate ourselves to Ohio State and Alabama for conference cred.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Who.the.fuck.cares.about.conference.pride?

jfc we have been over this a million times

I want an interesting schedule with good games. I want our wins to mean something. When the SWC was just about all Texas teams, I did want to see it do well.

1998 was a blast even if it was one good team too many. It was more exciting than the 95 regular season after Ohio State, and that's a high bar.

I like Iowa State being ranked. I hate that they shit the bed. Is that conference pride? I don't know or care. It's been fun watching ISU bite some of the big boys. The fun of sports is the unpredictability. 

Edit to add: All the plotting to be undefeated and make the playoffs even if it means we just roll over bad teams to get there seems out of balance. I guess I focus more on the individual games than the season. It's a short season every year. I like to savor it.

Oh, and what a pleasure to play a lesser team and not jump out to a 21 point lead and then go to sleep. I have hated watching games where at the end of the first quarter you expect to see the second team play the second half only to have the offense get conservative and sloppy.

Edited by RomaVicta

Remember how the 2006 Rose Bowl meant less because Colorado was shitty in the Big 12 title game? Because I don't.

And suffering because the Big 12 provides too many easy wins has never been a problem. Can we at least have this problem before people start whining about it?

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

I think the Big 12 has as good a chance as ever to put in a one-loss champion, assuming the season is completed, and even assuming the B1G pulls off the miracle of cramming in enough games for Ohio State.  The PAC has eliminated itself only slightly earlier than usual and Notre Dame for once won't be allowed to watch CCGs from home if they're relevant. 

The other obvious threat would be a one-loss runner-up of the SEC champion's division, as in 2017.  (I still don't think anyone wants to see a rematch of a CCG.) If we default to Bama winning the SEC, that eliminates the East.  LSU is a shell of itself and seems unlikely to get through trips to Florida and Auburn before facing Bama.  Auburn is perhaps the best possibility if they beat Newman-less Georgia and Burrow-less LSU before dropping a close Iron Bowl.

Of course, anyone who loses a game around here is unlikely to go anywhere in the CFP anyway.  If we're 10-1 I might rather just hang 400 passing yards on someone without 80% blue chips.

7 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I didn't even realize Arkansas State was down 8 starters. Yikes, K-State might be terrible. 

That makes me feel mildly better about our loss.  We were down multiple significant starters, and UL was full strength.

It's still unacceptable and comical, but not as much as K-State.

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

That makes me feel mildly better about our loss.  We were down multiple significant starters, and UL was full strength.

It's still unacceptable and comical, but not as much as K-State.

The K State loss is quite a bit worse. UL is good. Arkansas State not so much and while your score was a lot worse, the efficiency measures weren’t nearly as bad. K State got flat out smoked. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

The K State loss is quite a bit worse. UL is good. Arkansas State not so much and while your score was a lot worse, the efficiency measures weren’t nearly as bad. K State got flat out smoked. 

Our defense actually played really well until they got wore out from being on the field all day.

Our special teams are hammered dog shit, and have been for awhile.  I don't know how we correct that as Campbell refuses to hire a special teams coach.  Our offense was bad, but they're always bad out the gate.  Brock Purdy and Breece Hall didn't forget how to play football, they just had shitty days at the same time.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our defense actually played really well until they got wore out from being on the field all day.

Our special teams are hammered dog shit, and have been for awhile.  I don't know how we correct that as Campbell refuses to hire a special teams coach.  Our offense was bad, but they're always bad out the gate.  Brock Purdy and Breece Hall didn't forget how to play football, they just had shitty days at the same time.

Yeah just watching the game it felt like Iowa State was in control, even though it was close, until the two kick return TDs. That was basically the difference in the game. If those don't happen, you guys probably sneak out a close win.  Heck if just one of them doesn't happen I think you guys probably still win.

3 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah just watching the game it felt like Iowa State was in control, even though it was close, until the two kick return TDs. That was basically the difference in the game. If those don't happen, you guys probably sneak out a close win.  Heck if just one of them doesn't happen I think you guys probably still win.

Yeah, we were up 14-10 at half after the KR TD.  The PR felt like the back breaker in the game.

We gave up a KR to open Farmageddon last year, and I don't think we truly bounced back (even if we did score 17 unanswered at one point) from it mentally.  Which is another thing - Campbell teams are mentally weak unless they're the underdog.

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

To be fair, Ark St has won 7 or more games like 9 seasons in a row.  Not saying much, but they're a well-coached team with nothing to lose against a BigXII opponent who lost an entire starting OL and several other key players to graduation.  

That's not making excuses, but Ark St isn't UTEP, NMSU, or S. Illiinois.  

And LouLa won 11 games last year  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Well I was skeptical, but here we go. OSU v. Tulsa tomorrow at 11am. If we were taking it easy in practice, hopefully the Big 12's pathetic effort last weekend against the Sunbelt changed things this last week. Although, Tulsa is probably not nearly as good as Louisiana, and might not be any better than Arky St. or Coastal Carolina. I just hope we play solidly and without any injuries or infections.

tl;dr they are terrible, we should win convincingly

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 10:24 AM, Burt Macklin said:

TCU hasn’t actually been good in years now, and they literally don’t have a QB. They won’t be good. Baylor lost a ton of players and Brewer sat out a lot of the offseason due to lingering concussion issues. He’s entering Senior year David Ash territory so he’s almost guaranteed to not make it through the season. 

Literally?  Who is going to take snaps?  An RB?

I'm tired of the narrative that we're everyone's super bowl. It's a lame excuse at best and something you don't often hear from Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson fans. Of course teams are motivated to play us hard. Every brand name school or program with recent success has that "problem". You either take care of business or you don't. If we're constantly tripping up on the likes of Kansas State, OSU, and Baylor, why should we deserve to face likes of Clemson and Bama in the playoff? Consistency is a hallmark of an elite team. Until we demonstrate that we can dominate weaker/mediocre opposition every week of the season, we're still who were in the 2010s. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just win baby. The rest will take care of itself. 

It matters not how sucky the B12 is. It matters how sucky we are or not.

Take care of our own business, that's usually enough, we just haven't been able to do that for a while.

Win, including  beating our chromosome-deleted conference nemesis, and let the chips fall where they may.