A Quiet Place Part II

Buzzrock

I thought she stumbled onto a frequency that made them open up their armor and vulnerable.  Why not just keep playing that and blasting your way to an ammo shop?  I guess it's still important to try to hook up with other survivors, I would assume the handful of aliens in the town area would eventually attract dozens or hundreds or thousands more and you can't shoot your way outta that with an infant in tow.  

Gonna go out on a Maximum Overdrive limb here and assume they end up on an island in the middle of a large lake and the aliens won't go out there because M. Night.  

Well, the husband doesn't appear in the movie so that's a weird prequel idea.  I think it shows a little bit more about how the chaos of the invasion affected them.  But then picks up pretty much the next day after the birth/death of husband/taking out 2 aliens.  I'm guessing she realizes she can't just sit at home and play the sound that allows her to kill them.  She'll run out of ammo and/or put her baby in jeopardy.  So they set out to tell people their discovery and consolidate numbers.  But she finds out something else is wrong on top of everything else, so something-something...they get to an island.  

10 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Cormac McCarthy's The Road is the origin point for soul-searing hopeless suffering.

...this.  Or something like it.  

7 hours ago, 52-80 said:

That first movie was dumb as shit.  Why didn't they just set up base camp next to the waterfall.

Or, you know, play artificial noise forever as a distraction and confusion

I would imagine building a proper home is noisy unless the whole family plans on living under some sticks and leaves.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Nole-4-Life said:

I've been in love with Emily Blunt since I saw those legs in a miniskirt in The Adjustment Bureau.

Then I suggest you go have a look at her scene in Charlie Wilson's War.  You can spend a couple minutes wishing you were Tom Hanks.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

I thought you could only shoot them in the head if they open up that top shell to reveal their "inner ear" as it were.  Otherwise, their armor is just as good up top as it in the middle.  Their skinny legs also seem susceptible to be cut or trip-wired or some shit...but they're so damn fast and jumpy...makes that really difficult on a massive scale.  Blindness is probably an asset for them on our planet since they just get around by sound...I guess that helps them navigate around trees and buildings when chasing targets.  Didn't realize they couldn't swim (Haven't seen the second one yet).  Would suck to have been out swimming at a large lake or ocean...rub the water out of your eyes, look at the shore, and see 50 of those things waiting for you to get out of the water.  

Saw it yesterday and thought it was pretty good. There were some weak plot points as there always is in these types of thrillers, but not enough to diminish the film. I don't know how to spoiler quote on tapa so I won't list them.

I thought it was really good.  Are we to assume from the ending there's going to be a part 3?  I didn't really think about this until after I left the theater, but

Spoiler

what purpose do these aliens have?  I mean, they come here on a comet and their only objective is to violently kill humans?  They hang out in the shadows for over a year and pounce whenever they hear something, while Earth turns to shit all around them.  I'd imagine a part 3 would get into that, but then that would be an entirely different 'big picture' kind of movie, instead of the personal survival story.

On 5/28/2021 at 6:58 AM, Nole-4-Life said:

I've been in love with Emily Blunt since I saw those legs in a miniskirt in The Adjustment Bureau.

Adjustment Bureau is a surprisingly good and watchable movie because of the performances despite the ridiculousness of the premise. They can stop time itself but the plot hinges on someone with this power MISSING A BUS. 

I really liked QPII a lot but

Spoiler

The plot element that bugged me the most was this: If they came from the sky, and they can fly, then why couldn't they get to the island without hitching a ride on a boat? 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

Saw it last night. Pretty good.

A question about a plot point:

Spoiler

So the Boat People lie in wait and when a group approaches, they put a loud fishing net thing on someone to try and keep them under control. So if I get captured and they are going to take my daughter, what's to stop me from thinking "screw them" and making a bunch of noise on purpose to attract the aliens? If I'm likely to get killed anyway by the Boat People and my family raped/murdered/etc, I have no reason not to attract the aliens and take out some bad guys. Doesn't seem like their plan is going to work well

18 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Adjustment Bureau is a surprisingly good and watchable movie because of the performances despite the ridiculousness of the premise. They can stop time itself but the plot hinges on someone with this power MISSING A BUS. 

I really liked QPII a lot but

Hide contents

The plot element that bugged me the most was this: If they came from the sky, and they can fly, then why couldn't they get to the island without hitching a ride on a boat? 

Spoiler

My guess is that they were sent from their home planet on rocks to explore/conquer the universe.  They may have been created for this purpose. They are shielded/protected on the rock and don't emerge until they land. So they can't fly themselves but were put on a rock to be sent out to the universe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

So what’s the plan when the hearing aid batteries run out?

Also, it’s a little sexist they needed 28 days later Jim to step in for Office Jim as the pseudo Dad. Emily could have managed just fine on her own, thank you. 

And speaking of lack of progress, black dudes still be fucked in horror movies. Damn. 

• 1 month later...