A Quiet Place Part II

Buzzrock

3 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They should combine this movie with Bird Box and make one where people can't look or make noise

so like a night with South Austin's Mom, then?  

On 8/1/2021 at 2:58 PM, 52-80 said:

i cant believe how this movie made money.  plot holes gaping wider than south austin's mom.  just turrible. 

I thought it was fine, kinda forgettable, but you really can't believe it made money because the plot was hard to believe or had holes in it?  Comic book movies and fast and furious 11 make shit tons of money. The American (and worldwide) movie-going public is not too discerning when it comes to plot soundness or believability.  

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just watched it last night.  If you liked the first, you'll like this one.

Spoiler

If only there were a way to get rid of highly aggressive blind creatures that charge directly at sound but can't swim.  Until we find that answer I guess we'll just have to just stay quiet and tip toe around.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the big premise in the second movie is the fact that the creatures can't swim.  I just rewatched the first one last night and in the flooded basement scene near the end it sure looked like the creature was swimming in the basement.  I guess it's like when my kids were little and as long as they are in the shallow end they can swim fine, but once it gets over their head they panic. 

• Haha 1

I thought it was something about...water itself isn't a problem up to a certain height, but once their giant eustachian tube or whatever the fuck their species calls it's inner ear opening, is under water, it fucks up their hearing just like it does with us.  And that gets them all kinds of jammed up, like a swimmer's ear that can make your torso explode.  

Yeah, I realize the baby subplot made for interesting twists and made them more sympathetic.  But I actually hated them for it.  Not sure how the timelines worked, but it seemed like they got pregnant after the invasion.  I get that people still procreate during wars, famines, etc.  It's in our DNA to try and outlast a crisis with offspring even it if it means we ourselves may perish.  But I gotta think, "IT'S SOUND" just suggests maybe the loudest version of a human, a newborn baby, isn't the wisest path of action right now.  I would think the sound thing would negate the idea of even having sex.  It's all handjobs from now on until we eradicate the invaders.  

Okay, back to plot points.  Good film premise, clever acting through mostly signing and gestures.  Give 'em partial credit.

Grief makes you do weird things. Look how many kids were born 9 months after 9/11. I think it was more John's way of showing how yet again Emily Blunt is incredible at everything and can do amazing things like birth a child without screaming. 

Edited by mdmost

Probably.  I'd show her off, too.  I realize the grief thing.  We still birth kids during wars and plagues.  Shit, even suicide and murder rates go down during big wars.  

But if the number one thing your new enemy uses to find you is sound, making the loudest fucking thing possible---a newborn baby---seems like a weird way to deal with grief.  It would like if in Bird Box, you got IVF to have octuplets, waited until they were 2 years old, got them all really awesome prescription goggles, and let them walk outside on a partly cloudy day so they could easily see the demons themselves.  

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

I thought it was something about...water itself isn't a problem up to a certain height, but once their giant eustachian tube or whatever the fuck their species calls it's inner ear opening, is under water, it fucks up their hearing just like it does with us.  And that gets them all kinds of jammed up, like a swimmer's ear that can make your torso explode.  

The one creature was fully under water in the flooded basement