2020 Poker: Color Up!

Lurch

I played a dumb hand. AA, made it $10 to go, BB only caller, flop Ax 8x 2h. Check, check. Turn 4h. Check, I bet $10, he calls. River 10h. He bets $30. I call, he had the flush (7h5h). 

The only time I slow play is if I have a straight flush or quads. This is why. You never know what giving a free card is going to cost you. Luckily I read the situation correctly and didn't raise.

Meh, you played it fine.

Had you bet flop, we now know he would fold. You wanted him to see a turn card that would enable him to call behind, which indeed happened.

He overpaid to chase on the turn, so you know you played that well.

He hit, it happens. Nice job just flatting.

Note you could have been paid handsomely if he hit his flush on a card that boated you up.

• Like 1

Agree with Lurch, that's all totally fine. And you can still lose slowplaying quads LOL, I checked TT behind on TT6 rainbow and lost. We play to win money, not hands. 

I think against some opponents we should actually raise this river. They should be opponents that valuebet thin and who pay off river raises. Say he has T8 or something and he bets river to get value from an ace, but then talks himself into paying off. You need to know that is your opponent, and also be willing to fold to a 3-bet. Did we have the Ah in our hand?

Also agree that a better strategy would be to instead river the 8h.

Edited by TXSooner518
  • Like 1

played a session a week ago, lost $170.  no real overt hands to speak of. 

was busy the whole weekend going to the UT baseball games,  didnt get to play until today. 

bought in for $225.  lost a bigger hand with an A on a A high 4 flush board.  added on $100, almost immediately won back $140 and then slowly chipped up to $630 when this hand happens. 

Im button  4 limpers and Ive got K5hh.  I make it $15, and as usual everyone calls. 

Flop is above average. 5d-5s-Qh. checks to MP who bets out $15. folds to CO, who calls.   I decide to slow play and just call.  Turn is Jh.   MP leads out again for $15.   CO calls.  and I now raise to $80 with trips and the flush draw.   MP is a splashy player who wont fold a pair.  MP takes a while and calls.  CO takes even more time, and calls.  river is the 2s. 

MP checks,  CO now aggressively declares $200.    Ive seen him overvalue a middle pair, but with this bet size I know hes not actually bluffing, so Im trying to figure out what he can do this with that I beat.  I guarantee he doesnt have QQ or JJ, and I cant see him having run to the river with 22.  Theres no straight, no flush, and there arent a lot of other hands that can I can see calling pre here.  A5 is possible, but I would have expected him to lead with that. Q5 & J5 are possible but pretty unlikely.  He is absolutely doing this w. any 5 in his hand. so there are only 4 hands with a 5 that I lose to.   I dont think he does this with AQ.  He would absolutely do it with QJ.   I take a while and finally just cant put it down and call. 

MP gets out of the way.... and I get shown  J5o....    fuck me.

back down to $325, work it back up to around $575 when the table breaks.  go to the new table and get back above $600.   End up losing  about $200 including $110 against Asian Max. 

we've clashed a lot. there isnt a hand he wont play if the pre flop raise size is good enough.  He bluffs a lot in position, and can have literally anything, plus hes a gambler.  Ive shoved $475 into him when I limped UTG in a straddle pot where he was the straddle (and guaranteed to raise the straddle if it limps to him).  I had AQ off, and shoved on his $75 raise. everyone else left and he snap called with 85cc.  we ran it twice, good thing, he hit the flush on the first board.  Hes also called my 5 bet all in for $550 pre with AKo when another player was all in for $200.   I had QQ and  flopped JT9, turn K and I scooped. 

I lost the $110 with 88 on a slightly scary board but I just didnt believe him (he flopped top pair).   

Im down to about $425 when this shit show of a hand happens.  Max is UTG and limps.  MP makes it $7, there are 2 callers including LP.   

I am SB.  I look down at KTss.  I raise to $20.  and Max quickly calls (this is normal). folds to LP, who shoves for $52 total.  He  was the 2nd caller of the raise,  and I just didnt put him on a strong hand.   Its a live raise, and Im tempted to reraise and isolate. but instead I just call.  Max snap calls as well.   I announce a dark check.   

Flop comes Kd-Jd-5s.  Max bets $35.   honestly this surprised me.  its a small bet considering the pot has over $170 in it and there is another guy all in.  But maybe my dark check looked like a mid pair and hes trying to push me off that.   So I call. 

turn is the 4d.  so thats no fun.   I check.   and Max bets out $75.   It looked a lot like hes betting on the scare card.   So I take a while and call. 

River is the Tc.     interesting.   I debate leading out.  But if I was good before, I should be good now unless he had AQ or Q9.    So I check.

Max doesnt take too long and he shoves.   Hes got me covered. Ive got about $260 behind. 

There is still the other player in the hand so I dont think Max is doing this with absolutely nothing, but he could be doing this light.  I beat any 2 pair except KJ.   

He is absolutely capable of having nothing or everything here.   But for the most part he is just hyper aggressive in position.  So 25% chance hes got a flush,  15% chance hes got a set or KJ. and 5% chance hes rivered the straight.     so yeah.  In my mind its more likely hes betting with less than me here.

Got myself in a real pickle. 

Do you call or give up and fold?

not going to try and defend the play,   There was some history with both villains that sort of makes a difference, but not worthy of a pot this size.

so I took a while, and just decided that there was a better than 50% chance he was betting light based on our history together and I called.

He announced 1 pair-  Jacks.  and mucked when I showed the 2 pair.  other player mucked without showing either.  ends up being a bit more than $900 pot. 

I play 1 more round get AK twice, raise to $25 both times, get called by 2-4 players, miss the flop entirely and fold to several bet-calls.   leave with $841

16 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

I keep checking the Bravo. People were still showing up last night. I quit a few weeks ago.

yeah i quit going. seems like there can't be much or a worse place to go than a poker room. i just looked and at midnight there are still 6 tables going at the place by me. kinda blows my mind. they should at the very least on every dealer change pass the hand sanitizer around and have everybody use it.

On 3/10/2020 at 11:02 AM, Stung said:

I played a dumb hand. AA, made it $10 to go, BB only caller, flop Ax 8x 2h. Check, check. Turn 4h. Check, I bet $10, he calls. River 10h. He bets $30. I call, he had the flush (7h5h). 

The only time I slow play is if I have a straight flush or quads. This is why. You never know what giving a free card is going to cost you. Luckily I read the situation correctly and didn't raise.

Yeah but sometimes that river is the 8 of hearts and you take his stack.

Anyone still playing live poker? I was so bored yesterday afternoon I didn't know what to do, so I picked up my copy of Applications of No Limit Hold'em, which I bought in 2015 when I was started playing poker.

Anyway, back then I didn't understand any of it, so I put it down. It's funny how it makes sense now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bookman said:

Anyone still playing live poker? I was so bored yesterday afternoon I didn't know what to do, so I picked up my copy of Applications of No Limit Hold'em, which I bought in 2015 when I was started playing poker.

Anyway, back then I didn't understand any of it, so I put it down. It's funny how it makes sense now.

last session was Thursday and I knew it was gonna be my last session for a while.  

ridiculous part is i kept getting invites  all weekend from them telling me that there are multiple tables still running from the day before.

Ive already talked to the managers a few times in the week leading up to the sports collapse on Wed, and they just didnt seem to understand that it was time to close it up.

who knows, maybe after the tweets last night from Daniel N and Vegas that they were closing the poker rooms it will finally sink in that this shit is done for at least a month.

APP sent me a text saying they hope to back open again on April 1.....     lol  who the fuck they think they are kidding?

they have only been officially closed since  March 17.....   meaning they think they are only gonna be closed for exactly 15 days? 

gonna be stunned if they reopen anytime before tax day

Got my money on ACR and played some $.10/.25 to get familiar. Super tight tables, even 6-max.

Signed up for an 8-max $50 tourney to try this evening.

I join about 30 mins in, blinds 30/60 w 10k chips.

Very first hand, I’m in BB w KhKd. Seriously.

UTG makes it 150. UTG1 calls. UTG2 makes it 350. Folds to me and I decide the new-guy-playing-rebuy-bingo strategy may actually work here. I jam (!) and UTG calls w JJ. I hold, full double and am briefly in 1st place over 150+ entries.

Hello online poker world. It’s been too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurch said:

Very first hand, I’m in BB w KhKd. Seriously.

UTG makes it 150. UTG1 calls. UTG2 makes it 350. Folds to me and I decide the new-guy-playing-rebuy-bingo strategy may actually work here. I jam (!) and UTG calls w JJ. I hold, full double and am briefly in 1st place over 150+ entries.

Hello online poker world. It’s been too long.

Doesnt sound like the online poker world that I remember.

Still, I am getting the itch to play as even my weekly game shut down a few weeks ago because the dude that hosts is an old.

If ACR offers a referral bonus, PM me your screen name or however they track that shit, and I'll use it if I cave and sign up.

8 hours ago, NateHitch said:

I cashed out from ACR about a year ago but unless anything has changed all you need is a credit card or bitcoin

bitcoin is probably best,

The issue I ran into with using a credit card at the alternate sites after Black Friday, was my credit card companies all refused to fund the transaction.

I cant remember the exact details, but I got notices from either the sites, or my credit card itself that said "highly fraudulent site charge detected, charge automatically denied, no option to use this card at this site",  "US Based players may not fund this site" and I tried using several of my cards, from different banks,  including my debit card as well.... no luck.

however, as I am thinking about it, the one thing I didnt do was call my card company ahead of time and verify that I was me and trying to use the card on site  "ABC".... so maybe that might work?

Edited by AUS-97HORN

1) setup a free coinbase account. Connect to bank (2 days)
2) buy BTC. You must keep it in coinbase for 3 days
3) move BTC to a wallet. I used electrum(free). Takes 1 hr.
4) move BTC from wallet to ACR. Takes 30 mins.

There were maybe $10 in fees when buying BTC on coinbase, but it increased in value during the 3 day period, so my $500 was $503 by the time it got to ACR.

I believe he was referring to the value of bitcoin, not anything against coinbase. Coinbase is regulated and based in the US, so I wouldn't be afraid of using it. 

Sucks not being able to play. Is ACR the only option out there? I might have to sign up if this drags on much longer. The only problem is my home PC is old. Is it possible to play on an Ipad?

Looks like there are 2 options that get a decent amount of traffic. ACR and Ignition.

ACR is similar to the sites I used to play on back in the day. You have a name that everyone can see and if they have the tracking software, they have statistics on every hand you've played and can use that info against you. I used to have the software and once you learn how to use it, it can be quite helpful. 

Ignition is anonymous, so the tracking software doesn't work. You just have a numbered seat. 

Both sites are available to be played on mobile devices.