Lead singers manning the drum kit

jimmyjazz

There have been a bunch, but I'll throw this out to start the conversation.  I've always viewed singing drummers in the same way I've viewed songwriting drummers ("How did the drummer get fired?" "Hey guys, I wrote a song!") but there are obvious exceptions to the rule.

• Like 2

and I LOVE his cymbal grabs.   He is the KING of that.   And he didn't sing many but damn, I always LOVED his vocals.  It was mostly Freddie in the studio but live, Roger supplied a lot.  There is a part in Radio Gaga that just slays me.  

And doing part of Bowie's parts and various harmonies.   and the section:  "Insanity laughs/laughed, under pressure we're cracking"....   watching Freddie and him work together...live.    And Freddie's voice cracks at 2:52....  Then the duo vocal run after that.  

Edited by hullabelew
  • Like 1

Huh . . .  not only do I not remember that Journey tune, but it was on "Escape", with presumably Steve Perry on vocals.  That drummer does an admirable job.  Wonder why they didn't let their little Perry clone sing it?

I'm not all that fond of the song, but I do like hearing Neal Schon play guitar.

On a separate note, it does appear said drummer might have a little streak of shithead in him:

Castronovo was arrested on June 14, 2015 and charged with fourth-degree assault and menacing after police say he physically injured a woman. As a result, he was dropped immediately from upcoming Journey performances[5] and ultimately replaced by Omar Hakim on the band's 2015 tour.[6] On June 29, 2015, Castronovo was indicted by a Marion County grand jury on felony charges of rape (which was later dropped), assault, sexual abuse, unlawful use of a dangerous weapon, and contempt of court (violation of terms of bail after the June 14 arrest).[7] Deen took a plea bargain instead of going to trial and was sentenced to four years of probation and counselling for domestic violence.[8]

Edited by jimmyjazz

I saw Frampton add a 3 or so minutes of some serious talent during “Do you feel like we do” around the time Comes Alive hit stores. 

We all arrived thinking we would hear talk box, fuzz tone (which we did) and some old Humble Pie riffs during that particular song. But his playing the break on the drums opposed to the talk box was actually more enjoyable for me. Probably the highlight of the entire show as it was so unexpected

Huh . . .  not only do I not remember that Journey tune, but it was on "Escape", with presumably Steve Perry on vocals.  That drummer does an admirable job.  Wonder why they didn't let their little Perry clone sing it?
I'm not all that fond of the song, but I do like hearing Neal Schon play guitar.
On a separate note, it does appear said drummer might have a little streak of shithead in him:
Castronovo was arrested on June 14, 2015 and charged with fourth-degree assault and menacing after police say he physically injured a woman. As a result, he was dropped immediately from upcoming Journey performances[5] and ultimately replaced by Omar Hakim on the band's 2015 tour.[6] On June 29, 2015, Castronovo was indicted by a Marion County grand jury on felony charges of rape (which was later dropped), assault, sexual abuse, unlawful use of a dangerous weapon, and contempt of court (violation of terms of bail after the June 14 arrest).[7] Deen took a plea bargain instead of going to trial and was sentenced to four years of probation and counselling for domestic violence.[8]

Yikes.

I’ve always liked that song and thought DC did a good job. For some reason he always sang it live. Didn’t know about the other stuff, that’s not good.

On 1/3/2020 at 5:36 PM, 4th&Five said:

Wife and I met at a CM concert. This was the last song played at our wedding. 

I saw Cowboy Mouth in concert at a Seattle music festival in about 1992.  We literally only saw them because it started raining really hard and they were playing inside at the time.  Still one of the best concerts I've ever seen.  Fred just completely controlled the crowd. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/4/2020 at 11:31 PM, Beau Vine said:

I saw Cowboy Mouth in concert at a Seattle music festival in about 1992.  We literally only saw them because it started raining really hard and they were playing inside at the time.  Still one of the best concerts I've ever seen.  Fred just completely controlled the crowd. 

I've always heard what a great live show they put on.  The very worst show I have ever seen, and it is not even close, and I've seen a lot of live shows, was a Cowboy Mouth show at The Nick, in Birmingham, AL.  Looking back at their history, it may have been even before their first album was released.  My lord, it was horrible.  

22 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I've always heard what a great live show they put on.  The very worst show I have ever seen, and it is not even close, and I've seen a lot of live shows, was a Cowboy Mouth show at The Nick, in Birmingham, AL.  Looking back at their history, it may have been even before their first album was released.  My lord, it was horrible.  

You know who really did put on a kickass show?  Dash Rip Rock.  Now THAT was a band.  Fred is a great drummer, Bill is a terrific guitarist and songwriter, and Hoaky was the perfect court jester on bass.

Over the years I saw a crap ton of shows with bands like Dash Rip Rock, Scruffy The Cat, and The Dead Milkmen, all of which mined similar styles with different regional twists, and they remain just about my favorite club memories.  Sometimes you just need to hear some hooky rock 'n roll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...