Playstation Plus free games of the month

bernorange

Trackmania Turbo is excellent - fun and challenging.  Definitely add this to your library while you can.

I downloaded and started Q*Bert and my son groaned and shook his head in disbelief.  That reaction was priceless.  It's Q*Bert.

I haven't started Mad Max yet, but I've heard good things.

99 Vidas wasn't my cup of tea (and I liked Double Dragon back in the day).

• Like 1

R&C was last month.  Fun game.  Hope you peeps added it to the library while it was available.  

Bloodborne was also last month.  I played it a bit and the graphics, controls and fighting mechanics are all pretty sharp, but I wasn't a fan of the Dark Souls "do the same damn shit over and over and over because there is no save point and you just died" design.  Just too much repetition.

Re: Trackmania ... Getting a gold finish on the multi-lap tracks is so frustrating.  You have to be nearly perfect for all three laps.  So many times, I'm half way through the last lap and graze a side rail.  *restart*  Arrrrgggghhh!  Some maps are really unforgiving, some are cheap (must navigate one specific obstacle perfectly) and some are truly awesome. 

I was goofing around with my son playing (couch co-op) multiplayer and there is a "secret" game option.  You mash 3 buttons and you get a secret game mode.  It looks like there are only four secret modes, but one of them is tremendous fun.  It's kind of like Mario Kart - split screen race where both racers can bump each other off the track or into an obstacle and each car gets random effects periodically (no need to drive over tokens) to help or hinder .

I did explore a bit in the Mad Max game.  Some things aren't explained too well and I had to search the web for answers, but so far the hand to hand fighting is really easy and pretty entertaining.  When you are attacking the first enemy oil pump camp, you unlock "fury" fighting mode which includes a lot of WWF type finishing moves.  I'm just getting started with building my new war machine (car) and the car to car combat seems like it's going to be both awkward and crazy.  First encounter you get with two patrol cars encourages you to ram them with your new ramming grill, but after destroying one car by T-boning it at full speed + nitrous, I tried to shoot a harpoon at the second car and instead of hitting the car, I hit the driver and yanked him out of the car.  It was pretty gratifying even if unexpected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 5:05 PM, Storm the Field said:

Days Gone is currently free to download for PS Plus members. Quite a fun game that I had never really paid attention to despite always seeing references to it. Basically an open-world, more action-oriented knock-off of the Last of Us.

You nailed it. Open world Last of Us. Storyline doesn’t compare but I like that I don’t have to fret after wasting a few bullets (I’m about 5% into the storyline so maybe that comment will come back to bite me). 

10 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

You nailed it. Open world Last of Us. Storyline doesn’t compare but I like that I don’t have to fret after wasting a few bullets (I’m about 5% into the storyline so maybe that comment will come back to bite me). 

Some of the stories can be tedious and you'll occasionally get frustrated that after finishing a short mission you have to then drive all the way to other side of the map to talk to another person to start the next mission. Definitely upgrade the fuel tank on your bike whenever you can.

Game really hits its stride after the first 10 hours or so. Once you build up trust at some of the major camps and get access to better weapons with larger magazines and level up enough to get the increased ammo capacity perk, you can really enjoy spraying bullets into crowds of freakers. Taken on any hordes yet?

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately you're right. I have a crew of about 4-5 people who we've been playing games together online since 2007. The biggest one we all rally around was the Battlefield series. The steady-ish releases of new Battlefield games have kept us in touch for over a decade, but sadly the series has sucked since BF3. Hardline, 1, and 5, hasn't held our attention for very long, so sadly that group has started to drift away into separate directions, and has pretty much died off aside from some occasional discord memes. 

• 2 weeks later...