2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

I spent years with a power fade (mid 20's) and then it went to shanks and a very weak cut with a slice miss.  Finally got to the point where every club i hit went about 150.  Found a coach and told him I had never held a club but was a quick learner.  Grip being strong was huge.  Then it was about engaging my back and starting my downswing with a turn of the hips.  I can hit all kinds of draws now and unless it is a straight up push and timing issue, I don't miss right.

The trouble you'll have is the "more is better" problem.  When I'm off, I hit a BIGGGGG draw.  It isn't a hook but it is a 20 yard draw.  Goes far as hell, just impossible to dial back.  I find that I have to bring my swing back from being too shallow (sometimes I stand closer and more upright to fix it) and I also weaken my grip a bit.

With short game, I still have a strong grip but I really lay the club face back.  Its the only way I can keep from a little scoop that doesn't jump left off the club face.  When my short game was on last year I dropped 6 strokes in 30 days.  During the winter rounds I'm having a hell of a time getting any consistency with the short game but I have patience given the bermuda in Tulsa is dormant and like hitting off a tile floor near the green.  It'll come back... I hope.

That is dope. Was thinking about buying one but got the Ewheels V2 instead. Should be interesting for those cart path only days. 

successful trip to Scottsdale. 97 on troon hurt me. 91 from the tips on the Faldo course at wildfire. 89 at Mesa country club. I’m starting to like the new GHIN app. Looks like it updates every night at midnight. I’m down to a 13.0 after bouncing up to 13.6 from ending 2019 at 13.1. My lowest handi ever. I’m pissed about Mesa. I had 15 feet for birdie on a par 3. The pin was up against a cliff. I rolled it 2 feet by which became 15 feet and up a massive slope on the fairway. 5 putts to get down from 15 feet. If my tee game was even halfway what it usually is and I don’t lose my shit on that hole then I’m probably in 82-83 territory. It wasn’t tough but it was a fun course. Not traditional desert which was nice after losing balls at troon. 

My skytrak isn’t connecting to my sim anymore so that is getting sent in today if I have time to mail it out. I’ve got probably 2000 balls hit this winter and now 6 rounds in. With the handicap headed down I’m well on my way to my goals. My tee game has been shit for the most part so lessons are due there which will also get me a driver swing so I can get fitted for a good club there. Great start to the year for me. 

Edited by Jhawk

I've played either blades or players irons since I was around 15 years old. I'm 36 now,  moderately fat, and have a bad lower back. I made the switch to a full bag of AP1's recently and shit, I just wish I had done it sooner. GI irons definitely don't have the feel that I'm used to, but the results on off center strikes are just too good to pass up. 

It’s a weird thing to me. When I was playing 845s with an offset I felt like I capped out my potential. Switched to Cleveland TA2s and got to shape some shots. Then lost the touch and went back to a ping cavity back game improvement. Once again, feeling like I couldn’t get better (especially with long irons) I got fitted and ended up with the forged cobras which I absolutely love from top to bottom. My scores are getting better with playing more but my shot shape is good and consistent and 10x more repeatable than my pings. Irons a fucking weird. 

I played tennis growing up and used midplus rackets based on 90s era tech. I quit for several years during college (when I started playing golf), but when I picked the game back up I switched to smaller Prince Original Graphite that was quite literally older than I was. Yet I was a substantially better player at 28 than I was at 18, despite being significantly fatter. It was all about how the different racket shaped my game.

Golf has been the opposite experience. My brother and dad were scratch golfers, so I only ever played hand-me-down blades. The most "game improvement" I ever got was a set of Titleist 690 CBs, and was until recently playing a set of Mizuno T-zoids from the 90s. But that was just irons. I always had the not-quite-latest tech in drivers, like my current 913D. I should have known better, and made the switch a couple months ago to a new set of P790s. It's unbelievable.

I used to think the "feel" of a crisply struck blade was the best, but I now think that was because it was such a rare experience. Now that I know what it feels like to stand over the ball knowing its most likely going to pop off the face (like a flushed shot with a blade) and fly straight (unlike my typical shot with the old clubs), I will take that any day. Of course, the equipment switch has coincided with my radical swing changes discussed previously, but add the two together and I have never been more confident with my irons than I am right now. I have been gradually working my way up through the bag and as soon as I think I can keep my tee shots in play on the course, I think I will be breaking 80 regularly (i.e., when the putts drop).

I finally played all 18 holes of the redesigned Memorial Park course in Houston today. The previous two rounds ended after 15 holes due to darkness. Played from the white tees which measure 6553 yards.

First hole is a par 5, 512 yards. Striped my driver down the center of the fairway about 275 yards. A lot of times I will lay up par 5s even when I have the “right” club in the bag for the second shot, but this time I decided to go for it. Pulled my 3 wood from the bag and hit a perfect arcing draw onto the green. Of course, I followed it up with a 3-putt par (blech). Still a good start to the round.

Ended up carding a 47-45 with one birdie on the par 5 14th. I actually reached that one in 2 also (480 yards from the tee) and two putted from about 40 feet.

The new course is very different from the old course. Previously there were over 50 bunkers on the course - now there are less than 20. There’s only one large body of water on the course, which comes into play on the right side of the fairway on 16 and 17. The green side bunkers are much, much deeper than they used to be. It also seems like every green is elevated with sharp slopes on all sides where going short or long is really punished.  The greens are playing quite slow right now.

A year or so ago I was a 25 handicap. Right now I’m at 16. Besides plenty of time at the range, the biggest thing that has helped are instructional videos on YouTube. In particular, I would recommend Rick Shiels channel. He’s got lots of great content if you haven’t checked it out before.

So I am think of getting some cobra clubs. Specifically the sz irons and filling in the missing pieces with cobra as well. Question, as someone wanting to get into golfing mainly for the drinking and business connections is this a poor idea? I’ve played a few times and enjoy it other then I need a swing coach.

If you’re new to the game, be aware your first set of irons may not be right for you in a few years as your game improves. If money isn’t a concern, go for it. SZ appears to be a solid player improvement iron. Otherwise, I’d suggest buying some used clubs for the first season or two. Once you establish where your at, you’ll want to get properly custom fitted for clubs, which may well result in a brand/style you would not have considered otherwise.

Note, too, that if you’re fairly tall or short, off the rack clubs will be a hinderance to picking up the game. At a minimum you would need the shafts lengthened or shortened, and it’s likely you’d need the lie adjusted as well. Most golf stores can do this very basic fitting for you. That’s not the same as the custom fitting discussed above. The only point here is not to just buy clubs online if you don’t know if you need them modified for your size.

Finally, I wouldn’t be committing to a single brand on all of my clubs. Perfectly normal to have your driver, woods, irons, wedges and putters each being of different brands. Despite their marketing, there’s not much, if any, playability benefit in having them the same. Some people like having their woods look the same as their driver, for example, but they swing much differently regardless. If you do go the used route, I’d suggest getting new grips on all of the clubs. This one bit of consistency does help.

• Like 1

Rumble, I was in your shoes just a few years ago. What Lurch suggested about used clubs is good advice. My first set was some used Ping G20s. I went with them because Ping has a measuring system that allows you to get clubs that should be more suited to your height and arm length. Once you play a few years, upgrade to something fitted just for you. It looks like they have different charts based on different year models, so just make sure you're looking for the right color of dot (sizing).

Enjoy the game. Nothing better than hitting a great shot.

Image result for ping fitting chart 2019

Image result for ping fitting chart 2019

Have we done a WITB?  I played Ping ISIs and a variety of woods/wedges and putters from 96 to last year. The irons were a UT graduation present from my dad and it was hard to retire them. Couple years ago I rejoined a club and started playing somewhat regularly (couple or 3 times a month) and started wanting a bit more control than the pings offer.  

Currently the set is:

TM M5 tour 10.5 xtorsion shaft 

Mizuno GT 180 3 wood tensei white

PXG Gen1 3 - 5 XF (game improvement) and 6 - W (players) X100 (love them and picked them up when they dropped prices after Gen2 release)

Misc wedges. Vokey, Cleveland and Bettinardi (collectively the bane of my golfing existence)

Misc putters. Couple mid 90s Camerons, Bettinardi (Anser-style blade), Never Comprise Dinero (mallet)

What are you guys gaming?

• Like 1

Driver:. 913D 7.5. Oban kiyoshi black x flex

3 wood: 904f 13  diamana blue board x

Titleist T-mb 2 iron dg x100

4-pw ping blueprint x100s orange dot.

Ping glide 3.0 50/12

SM7 54.08 M

SM6 58.08 M

Scotty Cameron Napa

Edited by pops
  • Like 1

I'm one of the weirdos who has all the same brand with one exception

Driver:. TM M4 10.5 with Miyazaki stiff

3 wood:. TM M6 with Atmos stiff

Irons: TM rsi forged with KBS 120 stiff

Callaway Mack daddy4 52 degree

TM atv grind 56 and 60

Odyssey #2 putter

• Like 2

Ping G400 10.5* dialed back to 9.6*, Alta CB stiff 

Ping G400 14.5* 3 wood, Alta CB stiff

Ping G400 19* hybrid, Alta CB stiff

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-PW, True Temper XP105 stiff 

Wilson Harmonized 50/08

Wilson Harmonized 56/12

Wilson Harmonized 60/10

Odyssey O-Works 7S Black

Definitely looking to replace the wedges ($30 each on Amazon). I’m looking for something “blade-like” without a big sole and with relatively low bounce. I really like the look of the Ping Glide Forged but they’re pretty pricy. Also considering the Cleveland RTX-4. Any advice is appreciated.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 10:51 AM, Auto Driller said:

Ping G400 10.5* dialed back to 9.6*, Alta CB stiff 

Ping G400 14.5* 3 wood, Alta CB stiff

Ping G400 19* hybrid, Alta CB stiff

Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-PW, True Temper XP105 stiff 

Wilson Harmonized 50/08

Wilson Harmonized 56/12

Wilson Harmonized 60/10

Odyssey O-Works 7S Black

Definitely looking to replace the wedges ($30 each on Amazon). I’m looking for something “blade-like” without a big sole and with relatively low bounce. I really like the look of the Ping Glide Forged but they’re pretty pricy. Also considering the Cleveland RTX-4. Any advice is appreciated.

The glide forged will drop in price soon as the glide forged 2.0 is supposed to drop in July.

I bought the standard glide 3.0 sight unseen because my old gap wedge was a ping, but I'm not a fan. Performance is fine, but the look is not. Was hoping it would blend with my blueprints. It doesn't. At all. Probably going to get a vokey sm8 as soon as they are out. 

• Like 1

My biggest enemy on the course is my own head. I play great by myself and in a very casual setting and play like shit in a competitive situation. Played 18 Saturday and shot a 96. Played the same front 9 on Sunday with the same people but smoked about 2 hits from a vape. I played great shooting a 41. Had 4 bad short game shots that might have cost me a PR on 9. Granted the lies are really tight on the packed and dormant Bermuda at my course but I think I might have found something. I need to smoke a little dope. Even when major skins were on the line I was a zombie approaching the ball. Loved every second of it. 

• Like 1

My bag:

rocketballZ 3 wood

4-G cobra tec 2019 forged irons with kbs shafts

callaway 52 Degree with kbs shaft bent to 53

callaway 56 degree with kbs shaft bent to 57

ping anser putter

Ive got room for 2 more clubs but don’t know where to go. Hopping on a trackman soon to space my clubs and make some decisions.

22 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

My biggest enemy on the course is my own head. I play great by myself and in a very casual setting and play like shit in a competitive situation. Played 18 Saturday and shot a 96. Played the same front 9 on Sunday with the same people but smoked about 2 hits from a vape. I played great shooting a 41. Had 4 bad short game shots that might have cost me a PR on 9. Granted the lies are really tight on the packed and dormant Bermuda at my course but I think I might have found something. I need to smoke a little dope. Even when major skins were on the line I was a zombie approaching the ball. Loved every second of it. 

Smoking weed at the golf course was common on our high school team. That was mostly because we were in high school but I always felt like it helped my tempo. 

26 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Smoking weed at the golf course was common on our high school team. That was mostly because we were in high school but I always felt like it helped my tempo. 

We had 4 skins piled up, music blaring, $20 a man on the line. I go to the tee and one guy says “he’s going to screw this up like he always does” and the next guy goes “he’s walking like a zombie. He doesn’t give a shit about anything. This is going down the middle.”  I piped it. Made putts. Had a good tee game (only hit 3 fairways but was never far off or in trouble). Need to get a driver that I can hit further than my 3 wood. Need to get the short game in order then I’ll be going low. 

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

We had 4 skins piled up, music blaring, $20 a man on the line. I go to the tee and one guy says “he’s going to screw this up like he always does” and the next guy goes “he’s walking like a zombie. He doesn’t give a shit about anything. This is going down the middle.”  I piped it. Made putts. Had a good tee game (only hit 3 fairways but was never far off or in trouble). Need to get a driver that I can hit further than my 3 wood. Need to get the short game in order then I’ll be going low. 

Then why play in tournaments? That sounds way more fun!  And that rocketballz goes farther than a lot of drivers anyway. 

If i were you, I'd add something between the 3 wood and 4 iron. That's a big gap. But maybe that doesn't come into play at your course. 

55 minutes ago, pops said:

Then why play in tournaments? That sounds way more fun!  And that rocketballz goes farther than a lot of drivers anyway. 

If i were you, I'd add something between the 3 wood and 4 iron. That's a big gap. But maybe that doesn't come into play at your course. 

I’m trying to get used to competition because I like getting in money games. I also want to learn to handle the pressure so I can be in the big club events and not choke when 100 people are watching. 

My 3 wood is 250-275 depending on how well I tag it. My 4 is pretty good for 220. I’m thinking about reworking my wedges and really learning full swing distances. Right now I use the 53 for everything not in the sand which restricts my ability to really have a great and consistent short game when I’m down to 125 and in. 

I need a hard reset on my wedge game. There was a time I felt super confident in that 10-40 yard range, but currently I never know if I’m going to leave it halfway to the hole or fly it 20 yards over. I’m all mixed up with ball back, middle and forward in stance, stance square or open, weight 90% left or 60%, club face open going, back or square, hands centered or forward, setting the wrist or not. I’m a fucking head case and it’s costing me 5 strokes a round.

I need a hard reset on my wedge game. There was a time I felt super confident in that 10-40 yard range, but currently I never know if I’m going to leave it halfway to the hole or fly it 20 yards over. I’m all mixed up with ball back, middle and forward in stance, stance square or open, weight 90% left or 60%, club face open going, back or square, hands centered or forward, setting the wrist or not. I’m a fucking head case and it’s costing me 5 strokes a round.

Sounds like we both need to attend Pelz’s school. I’ve been watching his pitching videos and at least I have a plan. He says ball position is always middle of the stance which is the bottom of the swing arc.
  • Like 1

I bump and run any around the green shot that doesn’t require a flop. It’s easy and consistent. Doesn’t look cool, but I don’t have to worry about any of the things Lurch described.

I’m also a head case when it comes to golf. For years my own fucking shadow would bother me based on its position and would negatively impact my swing.

7 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I ate an edible before a round one time and I ended up spending 45 minutes inside one of the comfort stations on the back 9 eating candy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, huge said:

Hitting 3W 275 and 4i 220 is PLENTY unless you tip it out everywhere you go.

But of course you need a driver in your bag.

275 is if I really reach back and touch it. 250 is plenty too but if I had an easy swing driver that could consistently hit 275 or more then I want it. There are a few holes I play where a standard 3 wood won’t quite get me to the corner and I’m a 4 iron in. I don’t like that. 

that being said, I haven’t had a driver in 10+ years so I don’t care if I have one if I can be lethal with a quiver of wedges. I need that part of my game so badly that I dream about it. I was literally banging a girl Saturday night and thinking about how I bladed a 90 yard shot over hole 3 only to not get up on the dance floor from 15 yards away. I almost went soft thinking about that 1 putt bogey. Think how hard I would get putting for eagle on that hole?

I bump and run any around the green shot that doesn’t require a flop. It’s easy and consistent. Doesn’t look cool, but I don’t have to worry about any of the things Lurch described.
I’m also a head case when it comes to golf. For years my own fucking shadow would bother me based on its position and would negatively impact my swing.

Oh I do the same and am quite good at it. The problem is that I will frequently be prevented from doing that when missing a green left right or long, particularly with fluffy green sides that just eat up low runners

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

275 is if I really reach back and touch it. 250 is plenty too but if I had an easy swing driver that could consistently hit 275 or more then I want it. There are a few holes I play where a standard 3 wood won’t quite get me to the corner and I’m a 4 iron in. I don’t like that. 

that being said, I haven’t had a driver in 10+ years so I don’t care if I have one if I can be lethal with a quiver of wedges. I need that part of my game so badly that I dream about it. I was literally banging a girl Saturday night and thinking about how I bladed a 90 yard shot over hole 3 only to not get up on the dance floor from 15 yards away. I almost went soft thinking about that 1 putt bogey. Think how hard I would get putting for eagle on that hole?

I like the cut of your jib. 

Taylormade M4 - 8.5* spun up to 9.25 - UST recoil es 460 - I was so hot and cold with this thing last year. Some days I was crushing it straight and long, just draw and fire. Some days I couldn’t find a fairway, missing both directions. 

taylormade burner high launch 3 wood - this is the oldest club in my bag. I keep thinking about replacing it but then I think about hitting a soft fade into a par 5 from 230 and 3 putting for par. It’s easily my most consistent club. Never fails me.

Taylormade burner rescue - another oldie that sticks around because it’s the only club in my bag that I can easily work right to left around corners. Plus it’s my go-to out of the thick Appalachian cabbage when I miss the fairway on a par 5. 

titleist AP1s - 4 thru gw(48*) - these have been impatiently waiting to be put into play since I got them in December. Haven’t seen any action yet. 

vokey 60* - this used to be my favorite club. I use it for everything inside of 70 yards. I’ve been neglecting the practice with it for a few seasons and it’s been punishing me for it. 

i have a 55* sw that is currently a placeholder for 90 yard shots. The early part of this season will be deciding if I’m going to fill the gap between 48 and 60 with just a 54 or 52 & 56. 

5 hours ago, Jhawk said:

I was literally banging a girl Saturday night and thinking about how I bladed a 90 yard shot over hole 3 only to not get up on the dance floor from 15 yards away. I almost went soft thinking about that 1 putt bogey. Think how hard I would get putting for eagle on that hole?

When you finally do get home in two, I don't think you're going to want to have to deal with an erection while lining it up.