2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

My recent grip change all came together on Friday afternoon as I hit 12 of 13 fairways and 12 greens in regulation, missing another 3 pin high but just on the fringe.

Unfortunately I couldn’t putt for shit, and missed 7 putts inside 5 feet to shoot 80.

That’s my best score in 15+ years and I left a lot of strokes out there. I wasn’t just hitting fairways, but splitting them down the middle. The only miss was actually one of my best drives, right on line but it ran through the fairway, and I hit a nice 8i from the rough to 15 feet (three jacked it, naturally). 

I clearly need to mix in some time on the putting green with all these weekday lunch time range sessions. Altogether a very reassuring day after all the work I’ve been putting in with the new grip. 

• Like 1

My tee and putting game are tight. Played 9 today hitting 6/7 fairways. Didn’t hit one green and shot 45 on 14 putts. Missed multiple greens chipping from 10-20 yards. Have a lesson on Thursday. Short game and then iron accuracy is on deck. I’m a short game away from low 80s. I’m hitting the green from175-100 out to high 70s. Short chips cost me about 6 strokes today. 

Most people learn to play golf backwards. They start with the driver and work toward the green.

The proper way is learn to putt and chip. And develop a fundamental short game. It may be boring, but that skill is far more valuable than getting an additional 5 yards off of your new $500 driver....that you still push to the right.

I have been putting on them. The Bermuda grass is so tight right now you have to be really aggressive with the wedge to get it up. My short game was nails when in mid season forms I just haven’t gotten it close to coming back and now I’ve lost confidence. I picture blading or chili dipping every short shot over a bunker or from 30 out. I also have lost all spin on all clubs so I’m aiming 10 yards short depending on pin position when attacking a green. I’m just not confident unless I’m on the green or on the tee box right now. T is awesome to pipe drives and make 10-12 footers like it’s your job but frustrating as hell to shoot 90+ while doing it. 

I've got a lot of work to do before pinehurst at the end of May. That work starts on Thursday over lunch. Then another 2.5 rounds this weekend.

*slight edit to my previous post. Just looked and I have 9 rounds recorded for 2020. Which is awesome. The new GHIN app is sweet. 13.1 handicap as of this morning. 

Edited by Jhawk

11 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Most people learn to play golf backwards. They start with the driver and work toward the green.

The proper way is learn to putt and chip. And develop a fundamental short game. It may be boring, but that skill is far more valuable than getting an additional 5 yards off of your new $500 driver....that you still push to the right.

Learning to hit one shot well helped me improve more than anything when I was younger. Essentially, learn to play a fade or draw and only play that shot. Having a one way miss eliminates a ton of mistakes. 

Also I currently have a two way miss. 

I have been putting on them. The Bermuda grass is so tight right now you have to be really aggressive with the wedge to get it up. My short game was nails when in mid season forms I just haven’t gotten it close to coming back and now I’ve lost confidence. I picture blading or chili dipping every short shot over a bunker or from 30 out. I also have lost all spin on all clubs so I’m aiming 10 yards short depending on pin position when attacking a green. I’m just not confident unless I’m on the green or on the tee box right now. T is awesome to pipe drives and make 10-12 footers like it’s your job but frustrating as hell to shoot 90+ while doing it. 

I've got a lot of work to do before pinehurst at the end of May. That work starts on Thursday over lunch. Then another 2.5 rounds this weekend.
*slight edit to my previous post. Just looked and I have 9 rounds recorded for 2020. Which is awesome. The new GHIN app is sweet. 13.1 handicap as of this morning. 

Seconded. End of last summer I was nails, bringing the hc down to sub 7.

5 months off, winter conditions, and I can't chip or pitch worth a damn. Driver is still nails, irons are solid.

Mentally just know it will get better as the grass greens up and fairways soften. That, and many months more of playing /practicing.

Holy shit Bandon is amazing. Just got back from a buddies trip. First time in the Pacific Northwest. Played Pacific Dunes on Thursday and it is absolutely incredible. Bandon Dunes and Bandon Trails on Friday. Dunes has some amazing views but I think I like trails better. Saturday was the Preserve and Old Mac. Next time I go, I’ll probably skip Old Mac and play the Sheep Ranch once it is open. 

it’s just golf paradise. We saw zero women golfers. Just a ton of guys on a bucket list golf trip. Everybody was having the time of their lives. Service is great. The shuttles make it easy to get everywhere. If you’re serious about golf, you have to go. 10/10. Can’t wait to go back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I’ve been told to plan for 1k a day. True or false?

We went this week and I spent about 1500. Green fees were 130. The day we played 36 the second green fee was 65. Had a forecaddy that was 40 a round. Preserve is 50 bucks.  Double occupancy in chrome lake was 125 a night. I could see 1k a day if you went during peak times. We got lucky with the weather. 55-60 and light winds. 

Has anyone done Streamsong or Traverse City, Michigan? We are planning next year. Streamsong seems sweet because everything is there at the resort, so no driving. I’ve heard awesome things about Traverse City. Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, The Loop, etc. and we have an outside shot at getting on Crystal Downs. Michigan in the summer sounds really nice. 

I agree with Lurch on Streamsong.  I loved the Red and Blue courses.  Don't bother with the new Black course.  I hate driving to/from hotel and golf courses on golf trips.  And if you are a wine guy, go to Bern's Steakhouse in Tampa the day before and spend the night in Tampa.  Steaks are ok, but it has one of the best wine lists in the country.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:22 PM, ocugolf said:

Has anyone done Streamsong or Traverse City, Michigan? We are planning next year. Streamsong seems sweet because everything is there at the resort, so no driving. I’ve heard awesome things about Traverse City. Arcadia Bluffs, Forest Dunes, The Loop, etc. and we have an outside shot at getting on Crystal Downs. Michigan in the summer sounds really nice. 

I may have shot 70 on the Red three years ago to win the GCAmtour event out there. Fucking amazing track.

It’s a really good track. The greens were completely rebuilt and they were exceptionally designed. Challenging but fair. Several drivable par 4s, good risk/reward on all the par 5s.

Downside is I used to walk 18 for $14. Now it’s $28 if they’ll let me at all. Tee sheet is solid just about every single day. Was a great investment for the city.

• Like 1

I had my first golf lesson ever yesterday. I’m basically a tour pro now. 

honestly it’s amazing how well a competent pro can teach you what you’re doing wrong in you’re swing. I went in completely lost with my irons and left feeling supremely over confident. 

im going back next week to polish things off before I sign up for Q school. 

Edited by heso
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Take a moment to write down everything you learned. You’ll find it helpful in the future

Good call. I’ll definitely do that.

He sent me video of my best swing of the session, a swing that was an example of me doing what we’re trying to change, and the drill we were using to change it. I’ve probably watched each of those 20-30 times. 

Pretty common cycle for me: identify and fix A. Swing great, but identify need to fix B. Focus hard on B and eventually fix it, but something isn’t right. Realize Ive let A slip.

Obviously when it’s just 2 things, it’s fairly easy to mitigate, but for me it’s often a half dozen or so. Being able to go back and review notes helps reduce the risk of letting something fall back into old habits.

I took off work yesterday and managed to shoot 51 - 39 for a smooth 90. Golf is fucking unbelievable. I don't think I've shot 50+ on 9 holes since I was 15 or so. Made 4 triples on the front just spraying the ball everywhere with my driver. Hit my 4 iron and 3 wood only off the tee on the back and everything was back to normal. 

1 hour ago, heso said:

I had my first golf lesson ever yesterday. I’m basically a tour pro now. 

honestly it’s amazing how well a competent pro can teach you what you’re doing wrong in you’re swing. I went in completely lost with my irons and left feeling supremely over confident. 

im going back next week to polish things off before I sign up for Q school. 

Had a short game lesson yesterday. I was so far off with everything from stance to ball placement to shaft lean that it was unbelievable. Simplified to two stock shots from 20 and in and then got an outside in swing grooves for 30-80. Got back to spinning the ball so now it’s time to practice like hell. 

next Sunday I’ve got an irons session to set my gapping on the trackman. Then a playing lesson the next week for course management. On the 7th I’m headed back to club champion for a new driver fitting. I’ve found I can hit a driver with a stiff shaft but don’t hit it any further than my 3 wood. The difference is I’m consistently at that 265 number. That’s with a buddy’s club. If I can get a got driver fit for me then maybe I can consistently touch 280. 

I’m pretty happy with the direction of things right now. Playing my 10th round of the year tomorrow morning. Playing a 136 slope. A low 90s or 80s score will drop me sub-13 I think. 

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

Under the new handicap system we need to post scores on the same day. Indices are reset daily at midnight I believe.

You don't have to post it on the same day, but that is the only way to get the benefit of any daily course rating adjustment the system will make based on all scores reported for a given course on that day.

You don't have to post it on the same day, but that is the only way to get the benefit of any daily course rating adjustment the system will make based on all scores reported for a given course on that day.

Exactly. And there are other issues. The one that should have been obvious from my post is that for tournament play we all should want everyone’s handicap to be as current as possible. If someone scores a couple of great rounds and “forgets” to post them right away it can inflate the handicap. Then there are the vanity guys who never post their high scores. The new software gives easy access to your favorite’s last 20 scores. I know guys who play once or twice every weekend but their last 20 scores go back a year. Most are not sandbaggers—they just want to keep their handicap in a certain range. They almost never shoot their handicap.

87 at Lakewood today, and I actually was hitting the ball well.

5 consecutive doubles on 7-11 were soul crushing.

Of course it was blowing 20-30 and lowest score in our group was a 70 by a former UT golf team member (and mini-tour pro).

Got in 36 today to punish myself for not playing yesterday. 96 and 90 136 slope. I’m happy with it. Driver fitting on Friday. Yardage lesson in the trackman Sunday. 2 rounds in between.  That’s my week. 

12 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Got in 36 today to punish myself for not playing yesterday. 96 and 90 136 slope. I’m happy with it. Driver fitting on Friday. Yardage lesson in the trackman Sunday. 2 rounds in between.  That’s my week. 

Was happy with it. Went to bed thinking I could be getting under a 13.0. Woke up to realize I bumped two sub 90s off my card and am a 13.9. Ive got to do MAJOR work on my short game and irons. I hit about a mile of putts and really every fairway it seemed like. It is time to get into mid season form. 

Yesterday was as bad as I can remember.  Nothing felt comfortable other than a birdie on a 122 par 3.  But dont worry, I also put 3 in the lake from 130 on another hole.

Broke 100 the wrong way for the first time in forever.  Only solace is the 23.1 wont hit the handicap.  Or will it?

I need to keep stats better this year. I’m trying to make lesson summaries and draw pics of how I should be hitting shots. Just feel like I need to immerse myself to get to the next level. 

Still remains to be seen how it translates to the course, but I’m kicking myself for not taking lessons years ago.

had the second lesson today after work and I’m ready to register for a us open qualifier as soon as I finish this Blantons. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, heso said:

Still remains to be seen how it translates to the course, but I’m kicking myself for not taking lessons years ago.

had the second lesson today after work and I’m ready to register for a us open qualifier as soon as I finish this Blantons. 

I’ve had the same feeling.  Give it a few weeks before you pay the entrance fee.