2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

Our club just happens to be 1 street outside of the Tulsa quarantine. Men’s grill has been packed. Everyone is getting hammered all week there. Thunderstorms today so my tee time was cancelled but I got my speedsticks in yesterday and got on the 6 hole par 3 course yesterday. My G410 comes in tomorrow. Tee times for Saturday and Sunday scheduled to keep my 2 rounds per week minimum going. 

2 hours ago, hacker said:

anyone playing/practicing right now?  I'm awfully tempted to.

A few buddies of mine played at our club yesterday. Nothing in going on inside (food/drinks) but the carts and everything outside (including cart girls) are.

I seem to remember a few folks having golf trips coming up (Bandon specifically). Have you cancelled/modified those? I have that trip coming late April but at this pace it's unlikely I would want to go but have not yet called to see what the options might be. 

2 hours ago, hacker said:

anyone playing/practicing right now?  I'm awfully tempted to.

I've played the last two Saturdays (my first rounds of 2020).  Was supposed to go skiing this weekend in Colorado, so will probably play this Saturday as well.

However, I probably would reconsider if I didn't have a push cart and had to sit next to one of my idiot friends in a golf cart for 4.5 hours.

Been passing on the post-round beers in the bar though . . . 

Played Tue. Crushed a drive on a par 5, got on the green on the second shot, then 3- putted.

Might play tomorrow if the wife will let me skip out on the home school duties. I've been completely off work, but she's been working from home, so the home schooling is falling to me.

This home school shit sucks so bad. Maybe I can take my daughter. She can practice her math adding up my score, as well as chase errant tee shots.

• Like 1

Our club just happens to be 1 street outside of the Tulsa quarantine. Men’s grill has been packed. Everyone is getting hammered all week there. Thunderstorms today so my tee time was cancelled but I got my speedsticks in yesterday and got on the 6 hole par 3 course yesterday. My G410 comes in tomorrow. Tee times for Saturday and Sunday scheduled to keep my 2 rounds per week minimum going. 

JFC.

Your club is fucking stupid.

I seem to remember a few folks having golf trips coming up (Bandon specifically). Have you cancelled/modified those? I have that trip coming late April but at this pace it's unlikely I would want to go but have not yet called to see what the options might be. 

I imagine the decision will be made for you in the next 14 days (shut down of nonessential air travel—it’s coming).

My club is opening the course tomorrow but no food and beverage service and the bar is closed. We can keep a safe distance from each other while carrying our bags. Memorial Park GC and the tennis center has been open all week. My wife played there earlier in the week.

My club is open, Golf only. I have been practicing, but haven't played because of work and rain. Our club turned the cups upside down, as a preventative measure. Here was an email today:

Beginning today, the cups on all greens will be set upside down.  Once a ball has hit the cup, it's deemed holed.

The flag stick is not to be removed during play.

All rakes and ball washers are being removed from the course today.  Should your ball land in a footprint or location previously played from, you may place the ball as near as possible to the original lie where the sand is smooth with no penalty.  We ask after hitting a bunker shot, please smooth the bunker divot and footprints with your feet as best you can.

10 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

My club is open, Golf only. I have been practicing, but haven't played because of work and rain. Our club turned the cups upside down, as a preventative measure. Here was an email today:

Beginning today, the cups on all greens will be set upside down.  Once a ball has hit the cup, it's deemed holed.

The flag stick is not to be removed during play.

All rakes and ball washers are being removed from the course today.  Should your ball land in a footprint or location previously played from, you may place the ball as near as possible to the original lie where the sand is smooth with no penalty.  We ask after hitting a bunker shot, please smooth the bunker divot and footprints with your feet as best you can.

Same rules here.  Tennis is open as well.  

My wife and I have both been working from home all week, taking shifts looking after our boys (4 and 2) since day care has been closed. Cabin fever is real, and the abrupt end to my daily golf regimen (range sessions during lunch breaks at the office), had me seriously jonesing. But my wife has definitely carried the load at home, so it's not like I could just say I was heading to the course for some personal time.

So last night I loaded my clubs into the car after she went to sleep, knowing that this morning I would volunteer to make an HEB run. I laid the groundwork over breakfast by saying that I'd heard that stores had insanely long lines, and that it was too bad I couldn't take one or both kids, cause of the virus. At 9a I finished the shopping list, remarking loudly how much stuff we needed. If she wondered why I had changed into a collared shirt just for a grocery store run, she didn't say anything.

As I grabbed my keys, I was certain the coast was clear, and that I would have time to hit the range, or perhaps a short game session, without raising suspicions. I headed to the store first, and was in and out with uncommon speed. 20 distinct items, but I went express lane anyways, cause fuck it. My plan was all falling into place and I was already visualizing the crisp 7 irons I would soon be lofting into the sky, each with a tight little right to left draw. And right as I pulled up to the club the skies opened up the deluge was on. I waited there in the car for a solid 15 minutes but it never let up, so I finally gave in and went home.

Maybe tomorrow.

85 today. My handicap is about to normalize as my next 5 rounds to drop off are high 90s and I’m booting a 94 off my counted scores. 17 rounds on the year with another one coming tomorrow. This week is going to be real nice. Might get 4 in this week. Our grass should start to come back by the end of the month which is BADLY needed as the Bermuda is fucking real thin. 

Tennis is pretty questionable.

Well, my game has been questionable. I’m more of a golfer these days.

If you are thinking about the virus concern, unless you are doing those childish Bryan Bros. chest pumps, you can easily stay very far away from your opponent or doubles partner.

I've been using the virus break to read golf books. First up was Stan Utley "Art of the Short Game". Follows the same philosophy as his putting method. After 2 practice chipping sessions, I'm seeing a great improvement. Weight about 60% on front leg, fold, turn and hold. Strike ball first. Makes chipping easy, just need to have a feel on distance.

Pitching, a little tougher, but the idea is to use the bounce and strike ground first, before ball. Similar technique to chipping, but add in wrist hinge. Send ball high with soft landing. Key is to stay forward on lead leg to prevent fats and thins.

Well, my game has been questionable. I’m more of a golfer these days.

If you are thinking about the virus concern, unless you are doing those childish Bryan Bros. chest pumps, you can easily stay very far away from your opponent or doubles partner.

Except for the tennis ball that everyone is touching.

Played 3 days last week. Passed my 36 hole PGA playing ability test at Raven Nest in Huntsville on Monday, then played at home at Cypresswood on Tuesday and Thursday. 

Rain this weekend has been a bummer especially having Monday and Tuesday off.  I want to find somewhere its dry and play both days.  I've been considering jumping a plane in the morning, can fly from Houston to Orlando round trip for $57 same day,  hell I'd probably pay more for green fees over there and still be home for late dinner.

Only thing I'm afraid of is someone closing down all the airports and being stuck there

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ImGolfn said:

Played 3 days last week. Passed my 36 hole PGA playing ability test at Raven Nest in Huntsville on Monday, then played at home at Cypresswood on Tuesday and Thursday. 

Rain this weekend has been a bummer especially having Monday and Tuesday off.  I want to find somewhere its dry and play both days.  I've been considering jumping a plane in the morning, can fly from Houston to Orlando round trip for $57 same day,  hell I'd probably pay more for green fees over there and still be home for late dinner.

Only thing I'm afraid of is someone closing down all the airports and being stuck there

I’m looking at flight right now to head down to an island for the next month. Everything is going to be shut down here soon. Anyone know of an island that has good/affordable golf so I can get in 10-15 rounds?

13 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

I've been using the virus break to read golf books. First up was Stan Utley "Art of the Short Game". Follows the same philosophy as his putting method. After 2 practice chipping sessions, I'm seeing a great improvement. Weight about 60% on front leg, fold, turn and hold. Strike ball first. Makes chipping easy, just need to have a feel on distance.

Pitching, a little tougher, but the idea is to use the bounce and strike ground first, before ball. Similar technique to chipping, but add in wrist hinge. Send ball high with soft landing. Key is to stay forward on lead leg to prevent fats and thins.

i have a ton of shaft lean with my irons. One thing I forgot how to do was to get my shaft neutral when chipping and pitching. In 3 stroke I was able to pitch again. Only $80 for that lesson. 

Anyone still golfing? Confusing times, i wouldn't think it would be "essential".

Word on the street is, the city of Austin shut down their courses, and APD will come shut down any private course that tries to open right now. Avery has gotten shut down two days in a row.

Other courses in RR/Pville remain open, despite the county saying they should be closed. The police there say the SiP order can be too loosely interpreted and aren't shutting them down.

Seems like a strange time to play.....better walk if you do!

Edited by Pam Cummings

My club is closed. I played Wildcat last Sunday but everything in Houston is shut down now. Memorial Park Golf Course was open until yesterday. I got an email this morning that Teravista in Round Rock will remain open. One person per cart, but you are encouraged to walk. I walk and carry my bag about 80% of the time so I would have no problem with that. They also have other reasonable restrictions in place. Good for them for remaining open. If I lived nearby I’d look into it.

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

My club is closed. I played Wildcat last Sunday but everything in Houston is shut down now. Memorial Park Golf Course was open until yesterday. I got an email this morning that Teravista in Round Rock will remain open. One person per cart, but you are encouraged to walk. I walk and carry my bag about 80% of the time so I would have no problem with that. They also have other reasonable restrictions in place. Good for them for remaining open. If I lived nearby I’d look into it.

Most everything in Houston has reopened except for Gus Wortham and Memorial park.   I'm assistant pro at Cypresswood and we're not closed and in fact never did.  Sheriff office came by asked what we were doing.  Inverted cups so ball doesnt go to the bottom,  individual carts that are washed and sanitized before and after each round. No water coolers on course, dont touch rakes.  Supervisor said you guys are good to go and has been business as usual.   Did over 200 rounds today. 

• Like 1

Most everything in Houston has reopened except for Gus Wortham and Memorial park.   I'm assistant pro at Cypresswood and we're not closed and in fact never did.  Sheriff office came by asked what we were doing.  Inverted cups so ball doesnt go to the bottom,  individual carts that are washed and sanitized before and after each round. No water coolers on course, dont touch rakes.  Supervisor said you guys are good to go and has been business as usual.   Did over 200 rounds today. 

Great to hear. I hope we open next week. It’s hard for a club in Houston proper (or any major city) to go against an edict from the local government. The directors just don’t want the controversy for the club. And it just might be illegal.

Played yesterday and had a pretty decent round. Club was taking all the same precautions as ImGolfn described and overall the course was fairly busy for a Thursday morning. Many folks were walking but I went ahead and took the cart. The only thing we did differently was using a pvc pipe in the hole so the ball sits up versus the inverted cups. With an inverted cup where you only had to hit it I could have shaved off several strokes and shot in the 70s ;)

Anybody aware of public courses open in Dallas?  Have a buddy that wants to go this weekend, but said he called 5 or 6 places.  Bear Creek and Tenison had messages that they're closed indefinitely.  The others didn't answer.  This was also in the evening, so he said he's going to try again today.

9 hours ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Played yesterday and had a pretty decent round. Club was taking all the same precautions as ImGolfn described and overall the course was fairly busy for a Thursday morning. Many folks were walking but I went ahead and took the cart. The only thing we did differently was using a pvc pipe in the hole so the ball sits up versus the inverted cups. With an inverted cup where you only had to hit it I could have shaved off several strokes and shot in the 70s ;)

Yeah we have pool noodles in the cups.  My only problem with it is that they didn't cut them low enough so if you hit the lip then instead of falling it bounces off the noodle and out.  Is that in or out??  We didn't know so after the first hole we started pulling the pins and playing regular golf.

Well we pull it with our glove hand.  That's basically no different than picking your ball out of the hole with a glove and better than picking it out with no glove.

It's oklahoma... even our golf pro and super are idiots.

I've been on pretty good roll lately after passing my PGA playing ability test 2 weeks ago at Raven Nest in Huntsville.  Went out this afternoon with our other assistant pro after we checked in 300+ rounds today and got in 14 holes before I said I had enough and was tired, threw 4 birdies, really swinging my driver well at the moment.  Which of course now means because I said I am I'll likely develop a snap hook for the next 2 weeks LOL

Anybody aware of public courses open in Dallas?  Have a buddy that wants to go this weekend, but said he called 5 or 6 places.  Bear Creek and Tenison had messages that they're closed indefinitely.  The others didn't answer.  This was also in the evening, so he said he's going to try again today.

Pretty sure they are all closed.

Some guys from my club are playing today at Van Zandt. If you feel like you have to play you might try East.

I decided it just doesnt feel right to play at the moment. I know people losing businesses but i'm gonna go play golf?

Plus i just think any type of gathering should be discouraged atm. 200 rounds? That poor guy in the pro shop is having to interact with a lot of random people.

• Like 2

I decided it just doesnt feel right to play at the moment. I know people losing businesses but i'm gonna go play golf?

Plus i just think any type of gathering should be discouraged atm. 200 rounds? That poor guy in the pro shop is having to interact with a lot of random people.

I like how people think that golf courses shutting down don’t affect jobs and people’s livelihood as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Shot 87 today. -1 after 3. Hole 4 I blast a 3 wood about 320 downwind 25 mph. I’m driving the first cart and everyone is saying there is no way I’m that far. I help everyone find their balls and then no one helps me. They finish the hole and it turns out I out drove everyone by 20 yards just into the rough. I don’t even finish the hole because I dropped and then hit a tree. Only find my ball while approaching the green. Yell at a guy in the group... Birdie the next hole. Par the next one. Pick right through the round and win 200. Fuck the world. On again tomorrow morning. Tulsa lockdown starts at midnight tonight. 

It's been a while since I've participated in this thread but all this time at home has made be quite bored. This story is wild...my new club Metacomet Golf Club (mostly because I moved right across the street and can't afford Rhode Island CC) was purchased last year by Faxon and others. Now they flipped it for profit (or so it seems). Article is a great read. From what I've heard from one of the owners and head pro it sounds like they're not convinced the new group will demolish / close the club. The course is incredible, some of the best greens I've ever seen. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/brad-faxon-saved-his-childhood-club-members-are-now-suing-him-for-fraud-the-curious-case-of-metacomet-golf-club

Video of course is also fantastic..

Edited by longhorn10
  • Like 2

I read that article last week. That's too bad if they close it

I walked into kizer this afternoon. Played the front nine at a decent pace but bailed once we got to the turn. It was too backed up with people walking on so we got out there.

18 hours ago, longhorn10 said:

It's been a while since I've participated in this thread but all this time at home has made be quite bored. This story is wild...my new club Metacomet Golf Club (mostly because I moved right across the street and can't afford Rhode Island CC) was purchased last year by Faxon and others. Now they flipped it for profit (or so it seems). Article is a great read. From what I've heard from one of the owners and head pro it sounds like they're not convinced the new group will demolish / close the club. The course is incredible, some of the best greens I've ever seen. 

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/brad-faxon-saved-his-childhood-club-members-are-now-suing-him-for-fraud-the-curious-case-of-metacomet-golf-club

Video of course is also fantastic..

Wind power turbines in the background - would not play.

Club had a member die who had been at the club as lately at 3/15.  We closed now.

Yikes. How old was he? My club has reopened for golf with the now familiar distancing rules and no carts. But no halfway house. It’s BYO.