2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

On 3/19/2020 at 1:33 PM, Jhawk said:

Our club just happens to be 1 street outside of the Tulsa quarantine. Men’s grill has been packed. Everyone is getting hammered all week there. Thunderstorms today so my tee time was cancelled but I got my speedsticks in yesterday and got on the 6 hole par 3 course yesterday. My G410 comes in tomorrow. Tee times for Saturday and Sunday scheduled to keep my 2 rounds per week minimum going. 

Is the Oaks in good shape? Probably the most fun of all the country clubs in Tulsa. You can make birdies out there. 

29 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

Is the Oaks in good shape? Probably the most fun of all the country clubs in Tulsa. You can make birdies out there. 

The bermuda just reached the right soil temp so it's coming back nicely right now.  I had to get on the pro and super about the greens slowing down though.  We went from a 12 to an 8 in about 5 days when they came back from being dormant.  I've been a member for a year now and it's a fun little course.  Can challenge you, can lift it's skirt for you.  Wind is almost always a factor.  Has a great membership though.  Biggest problem out there is drainage in the spring rains.  We've had about 3 days that were carts off path this year.

If you guys have some time please listen to this interview with Gary Player, what a great man. Really puts life in perspective and his story is so inspirational. You have to listen on TuneIn Radio which is a free app you should have anyway. It well worth the effort, gave me goosebumps and some tears.

I'm listening to GolfWRX Radio on @TuneIn. #NowPlaying http://tun.in/tjLWLu

• Like 1

My golf game is going to suck in this ridiculous break! Even my local ball-beater range is closed from this shit!

I was really looking forward to improving my game this year. Really practiced on chipping /short game the last couple of months, but it’s all been lost the last three weeks.

Bogey golf isn’t the problem, but the fine line between 85-75 is!

I know, i hear it from our members and customers every day.  I think the powers that be want us closed though.  Which obviously if they did it would affect my paycheck but not my ability to practice and play since I have keys to the property. I'd just play every day then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ImGolfn said:

I know, i hear it from our members and customers every day.  I think the powers that be want us closed though.  Which obviously if they did it would affect my paycheck but not my ability to practice and play since I have keys to the property. I'd just play every day then.

fuckin a

Got hammered drunk yesterday and played 36. 92 in the first round and then 85 in the second with my best 9 hole score ever in 38 on the front side. Won $83 in the first round of wolf and then $150 in the second. I suggested double or nothing on a 19th hole and it became a $1000 hole for the wolf but we pushed the hole. Our hammer wolf games are getting pretty pricey very early in the season. Down to an 11.9 index. Can’t seem to break below the 85 barrier. Need to get my iron striking more consistent. 

Edited by Jhawk

Got hammered drunk yesterday and played 36. 92 in the first round and then 85 in the second with my best 9 hole score ever in 38 on the front side. Won $83 in the first round of wolf and then $150 in the second. I suggested double or nothing on a 19th hole and it became a $1000 hole for the wolf but we pushed the hole. Our hammer wolf games are getting pretty pricey very early in the season. Down to an 11.9 index. Can’t seem to break below the 85 barrier. Need to get my iron striking more consistent. 

Wow. You and I are close index wise. I would never play for $1k on a hole. Good for you.

18 hours ago, HouTex said:

Wow. You and I are close index wise. I would never play for $1k on a hole. Good for you.

That was definitely an outlier. Usually we play and the most anyone loses is around $60. The man who is down the most money going into 16 sets the bet and hitting order. The biggest loser going into 16 was only down $50. He set the bet at $25. The problem is after 2 hammers it’s now $100. Then a birdie doubles it. So he loses 200 on 16 and then bets 100 on 17 to try and get it back. Rinse and repeat and then after 18 and a few more drinks you get someone saying “double or nothing on 1.” Luckily we tied because I don’t think anyone wanted to see that blood. 

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 9:40 AM, Jhawk said:

Can’t seem to break below the 85 barrier. 

This is me with breaking 80. Got out there with my pops this morning after the tornado warning in Horseshoe Bay cleared. Had my 2yo with us, so we hustled through warm up on the range, and I started slow as a result. Shot 43/39 for an 82. Left a few strokes out there as I generally hit it well but fucked up a few easy chips. Wind was hard out of the west, which made it a completely different course than I’m used to. 

Got my balls stomped on today. 98. Lost 14 strokes to bad chips within 20 yards. Regulation on putts. No body turn. 
everythjng I figured out on the range Saturday didn’t happen today. Back to the range tomorrow. 

Had myself, one of our other assistant pros and my soon to be 92 year old stepfather out at Walden Lake Conroe. We played tips, my stepdad played the red, all 3 rounds in the 70s. The 851st time my stepfather has shot his age or below.  I'd kill to have his game at his age.

• Like 4

back in the day at my home course, played a lot of golf with old man earl. i vividly him being 70 and beating his age. i vividly remember him being 75 and beating his age, consistently. this went on into his 90's. 

my theory when it comes to irons, long and strong. i dont care about feel, distance is everything. 

cabin fever has me browsing online, those new pings sure look nice. i played ping irons for a long time, like their swing weights, great company. the old school ping sales reps were great guys. ping puts a little more into their shafts than most companies, 100% id go with their steel shaft. id go with stronger lofts, I hit the ball very high. I'd have to get a new bag. https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/ping-g710-irons-steel-20pngmg710stl5pwwirn/20pngmg710stl5pwwirn

ill give the titleist T300's a hard look. i would get stronger lofts, see if they can lighten them up some.  MODUS 3 TOUR 105 shafts for sure. https://www.golfgalaxy.com/p/titleist-t300-irons-steel-19ttlmt300stl4wxxirn/19ttlmt300stl4wxxirn

On 4/18/2020 at 12:29 PM, hacker said:

I bought the Callaway Apex irons with the modus 120 shafts.  Crazy long with stronger lofts.  Their pre-owned site always has crazy deals.  

Yeah, I bought some Callaway X-Forged 18s last year with modus 120 shafts on the pre-owned site.  They are amazing irons and shafts.  I bought them as "like new" and they were all brand new except for 3 of them that had a few hit marks on the face.  Other than that, they were fresh out of the wrapper.  

Plus, you can send in old clubs and get pretty decent "credit" for them.  I got $120 of credit for some 15 year old Big Bertha irons I had laying around.  They wouldn't sell for $50 on craigslist.  

On 4/21/2020 at 2:55 PM, ousuxndallas said:

Yeah, I bought some Callaway X-Forged 18s last year with modus 120 shafts on the pre-owned site.  They are amazing irons and shafts.  I bought them as "like new" and they were all brand new except for 3 of them that had a few hit marks on the face.  Other than that, they were fresh out of the wrapper.  

Plus, you can send in old clubs and get pretty decent "credit" for them.  I got $120 of credit for some 15 year old Big Bertha irons I had laying around.  They wouldn't sell for $50 on craigslist. 

Before moving I bought a ton of clubs there. Especially when you could pick them up locally. The some doofus decided golfers were a security risk and made locals use UPS to ship trade ins.  Once I was in the area and dropped the club off at UPS main site - which is literally across the street from Callaway pre owned. Told em this is probably the shortest delivery you will ever make

I was striping it today. Took driver on every hole and hit 11/13 fairways, with the two misses just barely running through doglegs and easy shots to the green. Hit several beautiful iron shots. But had two very costly water balls, one skanky sand shot, and I could not buy a putt. Missed 10-15 foot birdie putts on 8 holes, including the 3 toughest ones on the course, which I rarely even par. But I stroked them all good and didn't leave a single one short, so I'll take that as a victory even though the card showed 85. That's on the high end but within my usual range, and about the absolute worst I could have scored the way I was hitting it today. Fucking beautiful out though. Twilight round, got around in a hair over 2 hours, wife riding in the cart, and we picked up some fry chicken from the clubhouse on our way out. Damn fine way to spend an afternoon.

• Like 1

Was biggest loser going into 16 today (down 16$). Push 16. Dame bet on 17. Push. 

Roll up to 18. Shotgun a beer. Tell the fucks they’re “in my house now”. Blind wolf hammer. Stripe a drive. 4 net 3. Win $128 on the last hole. Booked a flight to Scottsdale for a 5 round outing wed-sun. 

lets fuck. 

Edited by Jhawk

I am not a very good player and usually shoot low 90’s but can’t improve do to the short game (chipping and putting are atrocious).  I can easily shoot a 90 with 50 putts.  On Sunday I finally shot a 87 which is my best score ever and my 14 year old shot a 86 (we were tied going to 18 and he got a par to my bogey)  He has been playing for about 2 years and refuses to practice because he would rather play X BOX.  I keep telling him if he would practice he would shoot mid 70s easy and that would be a good skill to have for the rest of his life.  

12 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I am not a very good player and usually shoot low 90’s but can’t improve do to the short game (chipping and putting are atrocious).  I can easily shoot a 90 with 50 putts.  On Sunday I finally shot a 87 which is my best score ever and my 14 year old shot a 86 (we were tied going to 18 and he got a par to my bogey)  He has been playing for about 2 years and refuses to practice because he would rather play X BOX.  I keep telling him if he would practice he would shoot mid 70s easy and that would be a good skill to have for the rest of his life.  

Honestly... spend a couple of hours a week on and around the green and you might be shooting 70. 50 putts is so outrageous. You must have the hand coordination of a 3 year old. 

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

Honestly... spend a couple of hours a week on and around the green and you might be shooting 70. 50 putts is so outrageous. You must have the hand coordination of a 3 year old. 

I have never had time to really practice my short game (or practice in general).  Now I am playing a lot more since I can't travel and trying to improve but the range and practice facility at my club is closed due to Covid.  Yeah, my putting is basically guessing.  Sometimes long, sometimes short.  No idea where its going.

9 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I have never had time to really practice my short game (or practice in general).  Now I am playing a lot more since I can't travel and trying to improve but the range and practice facility at my club is closed due to Covid.  Yeah, my putting is basically guessing.  Sometimes long, sometimes short.  No idea where its going.

We would be excellent scramble partners.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

If only you could practice putting inside your home on some type of a mat.

• Like 1

Bought one of those little flexible phone tripods to video myself. 

My God I had gotten into some bad positions. Can't believe how different it felt from what it was. 

If you've never videoed your swing, i suggest doing it. But also know you might want to give up the game after the first peek 

I just became awate of Maridoe in Carrollton (old Columbian Club/Honors Club Dallas) totally rebuilt by Albert Huddleston. Any guesses what initiation/dues range...Dallas National "range"..Northwood "range"?

I just became awate of Maridoe in Carrollton (old Columbian Club/Honors Club Dallas) totally rebuilt by Albert Huddleston. Any guesses what initiation/dues range...Dallas National "range"..Northwood "range"?

It was $85k initiation but I think Albert is bumping it to $110k or so because of the clubhouse construction.

[mention]Longhornanth [/mention] can give you more accurate info.
  • Like 1

Made an emergency trip to Phoenix. 
raven - 88

boulders south - 93

boulders north - 89

TPC stadium - 88

of all things to lose this week I lost my putting. I was 3 putting 3-5 times a round. Didn’t have 1 round under 34 putts.  If I’m even close to my average there I’m probably low 80s most of the week. 

I think the south course might be the hardest golf course I’ve ever played. 

Edited by Jhawk