2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

Suggest testing one at a time to see the relative impact of each

Straight push means your in to out swing (good) is being matched by an equally open face (bad). Rather, you want your in to out swing matched with a square face. The delta creates a slight draw, with the ball flight starting right of target and drawing back to target.

Perhaps fear of that straight push is causing you to close the face. With your in to out swing, the delta is now bigger and the result is a strong draw that starts right but draws left of target.

Now mix a closed face with a flat or out to in swing and you’ve got disaster... that hook that starts at or left of your target line then crashes low and even further left.

So, be sure to keep your in to out swing and work to have your face square at impact.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gurt said:

I definitely draw the ball at times. Especially long irons, sometimes more a hook than a draw.

I’ll give it a shot with moving the ball forward and being open. The frustrating thing is if I’m not drawing it I sometimes it a straight push...so I get scared of opening the club face...

Like everything else, long irons require lots of practice. I think your current ball position is fine, lots of players get it too far forward and you can’t compress the ball properly. 

A key for me was more use. Instead of always swinging a 7 or 8 iron, I picked up a 4 or 5. I played numerous rounds hitting long irons off tees. I hit punch shots in practice sessions to feel the correct bottom in my swing. Once I became more comfortable, the on-course anxiety disappeared

• Like 2

Also.. something I find that helps a ton when trying to reel in your swing is to practice with half swings. You’ll never groove a consistent path at 100%. You’ll be able to keep your path under control and will strike the ball much more flush. 

• Like 3

I was always told that the key to ball compression is “ball then divot”! That’s going back to the balata ball days, but still rings true! Even with “rock hard” range balls, you’ve got to hit the ball first!

I grew up playing “butter knives” (blades) and you learn real quick to make solid contact on the ball first! Sweet spot was about a dime back then.

When my son was “struggling” during his HS golf years, I’d break out the ol “regripped” butter knives and go to the range. About an hours worth of 4-8 irons would help him figure it out. I just had to sit back and watch!

Young kids now days try to have the largest swing arc, that leads to the room for error and hard to repeat consistently. The newest Spaniard (Jon Rahm) can hit it a ton and I don’t think his hands ever go more than shoulder height. That’s the key to a consistent swing IMO, plus ball-then divot!

I was always taught, and it’s lost on today’s youth/golfers that not all par 4 or 5’s require a MFng driver on the tee! Especially the holes with a “dog leg” left/right! Those holes with sharp turns require backwards golf - what it’ll take you to hit a manageable shot to the green. Sometimes it’ll only take a 4 or 5 iron off the tee, but that’s not “sexy”

39 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

I was always told that the key to ball compression is “ball then divot”! That’s going back to the balata ball days, but still rings true! Even with “rock hard” range balls, you’ve got to hit the ball first!

I grew up playing “butter knives” (blades) and you learn real quick to make solid contact on the ball first! Sweet spot was about a dime back then.

When my son was “struggling” during his HS golf years, I’d break out the ol “regripped” butter knives and go to the range. About an hours worth of 4-8 irons would help him figure it out. I just had to sit back and watch!

I keep a set of Hogan Radials and Ping persimmon woods around for this reason.  Plus it feels real good when you hit them perfectly.

Had probably the best range session of the last 2 seasons yesterday. Real calm. Quality shots. Skill shots like flops and punches. Was controlling how torqued my draw was from a ton to none. 

Went out and shot a 95 losing my match 4&3 in the first round of a season long single elimination club tournament. 

On 5/20/2020 at 9:48 AM, Jhawk said:

Had probably the best range session of the last 2 seasons yesterday. Real calm. Quality shots. Skill shots like flops and punches. Was controlling how torqued my draw was from a ton to none. 

Went out and shot a 95 losing my match 4&3 in the first round of a season long single elimination club tournament. 

Golf.

Another 82 today. Seems like I find a new way to not break 80 every time out. I was +8 on the par 3s today (a triple, a double and three bogeys), but +3 on the other 13 holes. Missed two 5' birdie putts on the front, but hit an 8 iron to a foot on 18 to finally get one for the day.

15 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

Also, how do I teach a four year old to play golf? My daughter is smart as shit and loves coming to the course but it seems hand eye coordination isn’t quite her thing (yet).

Let them have fun and be natural. If you can make contact at 4 you’re just fine

Edited by Revolution512

On 5/23/2020 at 7:52 PM, StruggleBus said:

Also, how do I teach a four year old to play golf? My daughter is smart as shit and loves coming to the course but it seems hand eye coordination isn’t quite her thing (yet).

Shortest shot to longest. Start with putting and as she gets used to that move to chipping and then half swings.

• Like 1

Another 82, this time with two doubles and a goddamn quad on 16 to break my back. At least I can be proud that I cleared my head and gave myself two ~15 foot birdie looks on 17 and 18, but couldn't convert either. 

And the kicker was with the ESC knocking off the quad it's going to bring me down to a hair under 6, just in time for the member-member.

Maybe tomorrow. Won't be as windy but we are getting doused right now to it's gonna play long.

Got through the annual guys trip. Played well... really well. Beat everyone by a minimum of 12 strokes (net).

#1 - (front 9 only because of rain) 44  
#2 - 90 with 8 pars.

#4 - 83 with a 39 on the back. 3 putt par on a big par 5. Bird lipped out. Then stepped up and lipped out a 7 iron for a hole in 1 on the next hole. Then on the next hole stuck a 120 yard gap wedge from the sand to 7 feet and lipped out another bird. Was even going into 8 and just got a terrible bounce into a big tuft of long grass and tripled.  I’ve never been in the zone like that. I was exhausted when the round was over.

#8 - 90 but my back is shot. So shot that 66 of those strokes were from the field. Only 24 putts today. My short game and putting is on fire right now. I literally didn’t miss a putt within 12 feet today. 

I need about a day to rest up. I’ll be back on the grind Wednesday. Need 5 rounds to reach 50 by June. 

I think it was hole 12 where I had that. My pace is just nails right now on the putter. My country club is Bermuda and I’ve been playing dormant right lies all year so my short game was pretty good too. I think I might have had 3 three putts all weekend. 

Regarding the new maximum scoring under the new rues, I just want to make sure I understand.

Let's say four golfers. All handicaps in the teens. Just out playing, no betting. No taking strokes on handicap holes. Is our maximum a double bogey or a triple? We all keep track of our scores and handicap on our phone app, but they aren't "official" handicaps. I understand the rule if you are taking strokes, but not really when it comes to how we play.

And also regarding the phone apps, when we record a score that is used to calculating a handicap, are we supposed to be entering a "net" score (taking off strokes on handicap holes) or our gross score?

Any help would be appreciated. Only been playing a couple years, so I'm not very knowledgeable about the whole scoring thing.

I’ve had back issues for the last few years that have prevented me from playing.  Finally got that straightened out over the last few months.  Dusted off the clubs, threw them in the car and hit the range yesterday.  After I got through the absolute horror of the first 20 or so balls, it started to come back.  By the end of the bucket I was pretty happy with how I was hitting it.  I was happier when I woke up this morning and the back was feeling ok after only taking some Advil before bed.  May try to walk 9 this week.

• Like 1

Regarding the new maximum scoring under the new rues, I just want to make sure I understand.

Let's say four golfers. All handicaps in the teens. Just out playing, no betting. No taking strokes on handicap holes. Is our maximum a double bogey or a triple? We all keep track of our scores and handicap on our phone app, but they aren't "official" handicaps. I understand the rule if you are taking strokes, but not really when it comes to how we play.

And also regarding the phone apps, when we record a score that is used to calculating a handicap, are we supposed to be entering a "net" score (taking off strokes on handicap holes) or our gross score?

Any help would be appreciated. Only been playing a couple years, so I'm not very knowledgeable about the whole scoring thing.

The maximum score you can take for handicapping purposes is a net double bogey. If you were a 10 handicap, you could take a triple bogey on the hardest 10 holes, but 11-18 you could only take a double bogie on.

None of this should have any impact on the games you play with your buddies. It’s only for calculating handicap. If someone is really struggling, you might just let them pick up if it doesn’t have an impact on your game and they’ve already maxed for handicap purposes.

if you’re only playing twice a year, gross or net in the app is fine. If you put in gross, it will adjust when calculating handicap.

Personally, I put in gross because I want to see how I actually played, regardless of handicap modifications to my score.

I’ve had back issues for the last few years that have prevented me from playing.  Finally got that straightened out over the last few months.  Dusted off the clubs, threw them in the car and hit the range yesterday.  After I got through the absolute horror of the first 20 or so balls, it started to come back.  By the end of the bucket I was pretty happy with how I was hitting it.  I was happier when I woke up this morning and the back was feeling ok after only taking some Advil before bed.  May try to walk 9 this week.

If your back issues are anything like mine, I have discovered that the key is a legitimate pre round stretching routine. When my back hurts the next day, it’s almost always because I skipped, or half assed, the stretching.

The set that works my back is to hold my 6i and 7i like ski poles, club heads on the ground a several feet in front of me, feet together, bending forward almost 90*, while keeping my head up and eyes straight ahead; hold 10-15 secs. Then cross legs and repeat. I twist hips a bit during this to feel them stretch. Cross legs other way and repeat one last time, again twisting hips a bit.
  • Like 1

[mention=241]Lurch[/mention], thanks. So If we are all pretty much getting a stroke on most holes, we should just go with a net double (or triple bogey). We play weekly, so we'd kind of like to get a handle on it.

Sorry, I misread that and thought you said you only played a couple times a year. Playing weekly, you almost certainly want to be entering gross in the app, so you know how you’re really improving or not each week.

Yes, if you’re all in the teens, max for everyone will either be triple bogeys on the harder holes, or double bogeys on the easier ones.

Note, if anyone ever starts playing worse and their handicap slips to 19, they’d have to score a quad on the course’s hardest hole if it came to that.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lurch said:

If your back issues are anything like mine, I have discovered that the key is a legitimate pre round stretching routine. When my back hurts the next day, it’s almost always because I skipped, or half assed, the stretching.

The set that works my back is to hold my 6i and 7i like ski poles, club heads on the ground a several feet in front of me, feet together, bending forward almost 90*, while keeping my head up and eyes straight ahead; hold 10-15 secs. Then cross legs and repeat. I twist hips a bit during this to feel them stretch. Cross legs other way and repeat one last time, again twisting hips a bit.

My back issues go a little deeper than just stretching.  But I do the stretching.

90 on #2 is fantastic in my book. Did you putt off any greens or chip on only to watch the ball return to your feet?

So there’s a guy at my club who years ago played 2 and never made a par. He was like a 2 HC at the time.

So now when someone doesn’t make a par it’s referred to by his last name.

We modified it to say getting off the “” (his last name) by whatever hole it takes to get your first par.

/csb

Caddies make such a big difference. I lost 1 ball all weekend. It also is a huge relief to not think on the course. Just being told to step up and hit and being given a line and distance on how far you need to go. If I couldn’t get to 110-115 my caddies we’re giving me the club to get to 145 (9 iron for me) because I didn’t miss a green with that in my hand. Walking without the burden of carrying the bag is also incredibly relaxing and focusing for me. Going to use the pushcart way more than I have been, especially when the automatic motor I bought for it comes in. 

I was on pace to shoot my best ever round yesterday at Forest Creek but ran out of light for the last two holes.  Just needed to bogey the last two holes to get an 87. 

Hit probably the best iron shot I've ever hit on the par 5 16th.  After slicing my drive left (I'm a lefty) into the bunker I got out but didn't quite round the bend to have a clear third shot into the green.  As mentioned before, I struggle to get the ball up in the air, so I was anxious hitting straight over the tees, but I stepped up and hit a 9 iron 155 yards up the hill, dead straight with tons of clearance over the trees.  Birdie putt from about 12 feet away (didn't make it of course).  Not much feels as good as when you hit an iron right in the center of the sweet spot

The covid lay-off was not kind to my game. I couldn’t get to the range and went out and fired a smooth 100 on what is probably the easiest course in the area. I hit 2 fairways all day. I had multiple rounds last season that I was north of 70% FIR. If it wasn’t such a wide open course I might have shot 120. I just could not stop leaving my hands behind me and blasting everything out to the right. Probably the worst day I’ve had off the tee in 10+ years. Driver, woods, irons, made no difference. Everything was either a big slice, a push, or a shank. Even when I thought I was making a good swing it was trash. I’ve never thrown a golf club, but if I was ever going to, it would have been this past weekend. 

6 hours ago, gurt said:

Not much feels as good as when you hit an iron right in the center of the sweet spot

3 wood off the deck with a slight bit of fade to reach a par 5 in two. Feeling lasts the whole way to the green before I invariably leave the eagle putt well short. 

• Like 2

3 wood off the deck with a slight bit of fade to reach a par 5 in two. Feeling lasts the whole way to the green before I invariably leave the eagle putt well short. 

Yeah, I’m gonna have to let you know how that one feels...