2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

8 hours ago, Lurch said:

Use twice as much solvent as you think you need. Profit.

Actually get an old can or something to catch the solvent as you use it. I always use a lot on the tape but catch about 90% of it to use again.  Other tips - after sliding grip on - bang the  end of club on ground. Nothing worse than a small gap on the top of the grip. Quickly line up the marks or texture so it doesn't look corkscrewed. If you are putting a long putter grip on then pay someone to do it.  Those things are incredibly hard to get on without the grip drying out and leaving a lot left to be installed.  Make sure oyu have a vise - I did four grips once in a hotel with nothing but a dinner knife to get old one off. Not fun.  Also get a hooked knife blade to cut off old grip - I got mine at Golfsmoth before they closed so no idea where to get them but they are required for graphite shafts

Played 18 this morning for the first time in a couple years. Went about to be expected.

However if you can ever justify the drive, the Wilderness golf club in Lake Jackson was fucking nails and one of the better manicured courses I’ve seen in my life.

• Like 2

Actually get an old can or something to catch the solvent as you use it. I always use a lot on the tape but catch about 90% of it to use again.  Other tips - after sliding grip on - bang the  end of club on ground. Nothing worse than a small gap on the top of the grip. Quickly line up the marks or texture so it doesn't look corkscrewed. If you are putting a long putter grip on then pay someone to do it.  Those things are incredibly hard to get on without the grip drying out and leaving a lot left to be installed.  Make sure oyu have a vise - I did four grips once in a hotel with nothing but a dinner knife to get old one off. Not fun.  Also get a hooked knife blade to cut off old grip - I got mine at Golfsmoth before they closed so no idea where to get them but they are required for graphite shafts

No this is all wrong.

The first thing you do, is you open a beer.

Right [mention]capnamerca [/mention] ?

So I was thinking of upgrading my wedges.  I have a Cleveland sand wedge (56) that is probably 20 years old and a Cleveland lob wedge (60) that is like 5 years old.  I have been reading how important the wedges are and thought I would maybe lose the sand wedge I have and get a newer one along with something else to go with the lob wedge (or replace the lob wedge).  My PW is part of my current irons set (Taylor Made M4's and I like that club).  Thinking of doing the "fitting" thing also just for the wedges like I did with my irons.  Any recs on brands of wedge to look at or what loft is best to have in the bag?

On 7/2/2020 at 9:55 PM, Goodman said:

Player alert. Lots of helpful technology now, if you commit go hit the p790’s. Bandit greens were country club like 3 weeks ago. 

I was playing T-Zoids until January when I got a set of P790s. I had the full on shanks when they came in, and immediately set upon a complete swing rebuild, so I didn't really notice it at the time, but my god what a difference the new tech makes. I took my T-Zoid 7 iron to the range last week because I thought I had been swinging real well lately and wanted to see if the old blades really felt better on purely struck shots. But after ten swings I still hadn't flushed one. Each shot was clunky as hell. Immediately before and immediately after I was grooving perfect 7 irons with the P790s. The sweet spots on those fuckers are massive. I will gladly trade the purest of pure feeling a couple times a round for a perhaps slightly less pure feeling that happens on damn near every shot. And when you happen to miss it with the new irons, you can feel it wasn't our, but the ball still carries 90% of the distance and flies relatively straight. 

I am still rocking ~20 year old wedges, and an 8 year old driver. I will probably replace the wedges next. I barely played from 2004-2019, so the grooves are fine and I get plenty of spin, but I'm intrigued by higher CGs on newer models, and probably need to add bounce and change my lofts to get better gapping. 40-100 yards is probably the strongest part of my game, while chipping is unquestionably the weakest.  

A 79 today with 36 putts, in the midst of a gout outbreak in my right toe no less, is going to bring me to a 4.1 handicap. I have steadily improved since getting back into the game last year, and now I am better than I ever was before quitting. Hopefully I will continue to improve, but if this is just that one magical summer of Rona before it all goes to shit, I am at least enjoying it.

On 7/3/2020 at 11:05 AM, Hate said:

I always felt like I was going to die when I played Bluebonnet. I hated being out on some of those fairways knowing that there were a bunch of drunk hacks teeing off anywhere near me.

When I was in undergrad, the head pro at Bluebonnet Hills was an alum of my fraternity. For several years we would have golf events there at his invitation. You think alcohol removes inhibitions, try knowing the authorities are on your side no matter what. Zero fucks were given.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

When I was in undergrad, the head pro at Bluebonnet Hills was an alum of my fraternity. For several years we would have golf events there at his invitation. You think alcohol removes inhibitions, try knowing the authorities are on your side no matter what. Zero fucks were given.

Until somebody puts a cart into a pond.  Fucks are given then, no matter who is running things.

18 minutes ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

It was a given that we had to remain respectful to the course, equipment, employees. 

Sure.  I had a similar arrangement at a course I worked at in college.  It holds up until it doesn’t. 

Played 18 this morning for the first time in a couple years. Went about to be expected.
However if you can ever justify the drive, the Wilderness golf club in Lake Jackson was fucking nails and one of the better manicured courses I’ve seen in my life.

Good track, just watch out for mosquitos the size of sparrows

1 hour ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

I was playing T-Zoids until January when I got a set of P790s. I had the full on shanks when they came in, and immediately set upon a complete swing rebuild, so I didn't really notice it at the time, but my god what a difference the new tech makes. I took my T-Zoid 7 iron to the range last week because I thought I had been swinging real well lately and wanted to see if the old blades really felt better on purely struck shots. But after ten swings I still hadn't flushed one. Each shot was clunky as hell. Immediately before and immediately after I was grooving perfect 7 irons with the P790s. The sweet spots on those fuckers are massive. I will gladly trade the purest of pure feeling a couple times a round for a perhaps slightly less pure feeling that happens on damn near every shot. And when you happen to miss it with the new irons, you can feel it wasn't our, but the ball still carries 90% of the distance and flies relatively straight. 

I am still rocking ~20 year old wedges, and an 8 year old driver. I will probably replace the wedges next. I barely played from 2004-2019, so the grooves are fine and I get plenty of spin, but I'm intrigued by higher CGs on newer models, and probably need to add bounce and change my lofts to get better gapping. 40-100 yards is probably the strongest part of my game, while chipping is unquestionably the weakest.  

A 79 today with 36 putts, in the midst of a gout outbreak in my right toe no less, is going to bring me to a 4.1 handicap. I have steadily improved since getting back into the game last year, and now I am better than I ever was before quitting. Hopefully I will continue to improve, but if this is just that one magical summer of Rona before it all goes to shit, I am at least enjoying it.

Sounds like you're going to enjoy hitting new wedges when that day comes. Some good & forgiving stuff. I'd love to play the 790's but i'm stuck on some Ping i200's that just do what I need. Lots of good product in the market to make the game a lot more fun than it was for me 20 years ago. 

I was pissed to hear about Bluebonnet closing.  There's not enough cheapo goat tracks around any more.  Sometimes I just wanna go play a $20 round.  Every course doesn't need to be "the finest golfing experience in the Hill Country".  Sometimes I just want a laid back 18 sticks in the ground

Edited by gurt
  • Like 1

Almost forgot about this gem from my round Friday.....

Par 5, buddy takes a big rip at the tee shot... Nobody saw it off the tee, we're all looking around for a few seconds and then...

ccb6379850415c2ea656e285d2bc81b1.jpg

Edited by cam4mav
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/4/2020 at 3:41 PM, AUinHsv said:

Said with great respect, everyone makes this too damn complicated. You don't need so much solvent that enough drips off that you can reuse it. Why not just have a five gallon bucket full and dip the shaft into it?

Get a spray bottle, put your solvent in there.

Get the 2" grip tape. One piece, about an inch shorter than the grip length, run it vertical up the shaft and wrap around. Helpful to peel the backing off before you finish wrapping the tape on the shaft, but not a requirement.

Club under your armpit, grip in your left hand, spray bottle in your right. Stand in the grass. Spritz the peeled tape on the grip until it's wet all over. It doesn't need to drip off. Three spritzes into the open end of the grip.

Drop spray bottle into grass, and move shaft into hand. Helpful to have a shop rag between your hand and the shaft.

Plug open end of grip with finger and flip the grip over a few times to coat internally. Pour solvent out of grip onto grip tape ontp top of shaft.

Pinch end of grip to fit over top of shaft, and slide down with emphasis. If you've done it right, a bit of solvent will shoot out the hole in the top of the grip.

Align, and set club aside. You've got 60 seconds or so before the grip becomes hard to move around, you don't have to panic.

We all fell over laughing  It took him almost a minute to dig that fucker out too it was really deep

With ours, we all stood in stunned silence, with me literally biting my tongue to keep from laughing. This was a tourney and we didn’t know each other. I somehow got composed and we figured out what to do. By the end of the round he finally made a crack about his 1 yard drive and we all got a good laugh.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Said with great respect, everyone makes this too damn complicated. You don't need so much solvent that enough drips off that you can reuse it. Why not just have a five gallon bucket full and dip the shaft into it?

That's what she said.

Club under your armpit, grip in your left hand, spray bottle in your right.

What about the beer?

Pinch end of grip to fit over top of shaft, and slide down with emphasis. If you've done it right, a bit of solvent will shoot out the hole in the top of the grip.

She said that too.

Fuck solvent. Use gasoline (or lighter fluid, hairspray, alcohol, starter fluid) like God intended. Few squirts in the grip...cover both ends with your fingers and give it a shake then pour it out from the butt of the grip through the hole onto the taped shaft that is pointed a bit down. Doesn't smell as good as solvent but you can play the club in about 10 minutes. 

On 7/2/2020 at 6:56 PM, deadshank said:

I haven’t picked up a stick in 10 years.  Used to play 2-3 times a week; year round.  

Now my old golfing buddies are coagulating again and wanting to put the band back together. They have a weekend joint rented somewhere around McQueeney and multiple rounds booked at The Bandit.   

I’m being bombarded, denigrated, called out, pestered and badgered about joining the gangsome for the weekend in October.  

Fear and trepidation or return to glory?

I pulled my clubs out to check them out.  I don’t know if they even work anymore.  At a minimum they’ll need to be re-gripped. 

what’s in the bag:

Titleist 905R 9 degree driver

King Cobra Speed LD 3W

King Cobra 3 and 5 rescue

Mizuno T Zoid Pro 4 - PW irons

Cleveland 52 & 60 degree wedges

Rife putter

Gonna give it a go with ancient technology.  Light a candle for me.

That's still a solid bag. 905r and tzoids are as solid as anything ever made. Not quite as forgiving as the new stuff but still great. 

• 2 weeks later...

So after playing for three months my short game is slowly coming back. It's nice to actually make a birdie or two. Played Cedar Creek on Friday and did nine strokes better than last time. Even had a 10-foot eagle putt on one hole, which of course I missed.

But I'm taking a lesson on Saturday. I'm hitting some massive, massive hooks, especially with this 3-hybrid I bought.

A friend of mine videotaped my swing and I think I'm taking the club way inside.

Edited by Bookman
  • Like 1

Had to send my putter to the DL for a few rounds. Have had a scotty napa since 95. Made thousands of putts with it but for whatever reason I can't see putts going in the hole with it so far this year. So it will take a little break and will be back. 

It is crazy how mental this game is and just looking at something else can make a difference. 

Well Northern MI trip was a success. Before the trip, thought I would walk most rounds and did not walk a single one, there were even push carts available at every course. Played like shit and loved every minute of it, perfect combination of fat & golf camp. Here's the recap.

Thursday, arrive at Forest Dunes for 18 holes on the Loop. Play the Black and it's a blast, does not show any odd feel or playability as a reversible course. It was 88 and humid AF. Play putting course after dinner, par 3 was closed and opens August 1st.

Friday: Cooler weather, humid and the bugs at Forest Dunes are a problem. Start the day with Forest Dunes, fantastic course. Front nine looks Augusta'esque and back nine has a Pine Valley look. Played the Loop Red on this day and it was fun, completely different look/feel than playing it as Black the day before. Very cool.

Saturday: Play Belvedere in Charlavoix, now one of my favorite courses. Fun, challenging golden age golf design. Head to Arcadia for an end of day round on the Bluffs. Great views, miserable 5:30 hour round. 

Sunday: Bluffs in the morning and had fun since we played in 3:30. Played South course in afternoon and had a blast. Perfect round in 3 hrs. Headed north and played end of day round at Champion Hill on a recommendation by the Fried Egg crew. Incredible place to play for $25 twilight rate. Reminded me most of Pasatiempo for the dramatic land. 

My post trip stack rank would be:

1. Belvedere
  2. Forest Dunes - Bugs keep it from #1
  3. Loop Black
  4. Arcadia South
  5. Champion Hill
  6. Loop Red

When I do this trip again I will add Kingsley, keep Belvedere & Champion Hill. Saves a bunch of money and it'll be all the golf I want. Charlevoix is a fun little village. Northport is another I'd like to play along with going to Marquette but that might be too much of a drive for me.

• Like 1

Down to a 4 cap now. Makes winning any kind of bets really difficult, giving up strokes to everyone. How do you guys handle bets and strokes? Play off the lowest cap, or give everyone strokes according to their cap?

For instance, if a 5 plays a 9, the 9 gets 4 strokes. Do those strokes count on the hardest 4 holes (1-4), or does the 9 get pops on the 6, 7, 8, and 9 cap holes?

7 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

Down to a 4 cap now. Makes winning any kind of bets really difficult, giving up strokes to everyone. How do you guys handle bets and strokes? Play off the lowest cap, or give everyone strokes according to their cap?

For instance, if a 5 plays a 9, the 9 gets 4 strokes. Do those strokes count on the hardest 4 holes (1-4), or does the 9 get pops on the 6, 7, 8, and 9 cap holes?

Depends on the game ... for a heads up match, you use the differential. The 5 would be getting 4 shots from the 9, one each on the 1-2-3-4 handicap holes. For any sort of points game, or a "Net Flight" tournament, everyone gets their full allotment of shots (or whatever percentage was agreed to), and then you tally up the points/scores at the end.

34 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

5 gets no strokes, 9 gets a pop on 1-4. We always go off the lowest cap and bump everyone down. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gurt said:

Does anyone have any recs on gps watches? My rangefinder broke and I was thinking of just getting a watch instead.

Bushnell iOn 2.  I have the previous generation and I love it.  I prefer the convenience of having front/middle/back always on my wrist.  And it also gives distance to bunkers and penalty areas.  The rangefinder takes too long and the watch is way more convenient for me because I usually walk. 

Bushnell iOn 2.  I have the previous generation and I love it.  I prefer the convenience of having front/middle/back always on my wrist.  And it also gives distance to bunkers and penalty areas.  The rangefinder takes too long and the watch is way more convenient for me because I usually walk. 

What’s been your experience on accuracy? In addition to being able to target trees, carts, players, etc., I always preferred laser because I was seeing as much as 10yd differences between my measurements and those using gps watches. I would certainly like the convenience/speed of a gps watch otherwise.

10 hours ago, gurt said:

Does anyone have any recs on gps watches? My rangefinder broke and I was thinking of just getting a watch instead.

I was gifted the Approach S62 (Garmin). This fucking thing is like a supercomputer ... they're trying to compete in about six different areas with it. Golf, fitness/steps, health/sleep monitoring, general style (app marketplace, custom watch faces, etc). It's incredibly comfortable, and can apparently do it's thing on the golf course w/o your phone nearby which is nice. I used it for three holes this last weekend and it got confused about what hole we were on and I couldn't fix it, so I took it off (and then felt the urge to yell "get off my lawn!" at the cart kid). I can't see how a range finder takes too long - it's in a specific pocket in  my bag, I can shoot the flag first thing as I get to my ball (when walking), and then go about my normal routine.

Buddy has the approach S20, which just does golf stuff. He loves it.

4 minutes ago, Lurch said:

What’s been your experience on accuracy? In addition to being able to target trees, carts, players, etc., I always preferred laser because I was seeing as much as 10yd differences between my measurements and those using gps watches. I would certainly like the convenience/speed of a gps watch otherwise.

My buddy using the S20 is always w/in ~2 yards of my rangefinder. I was impressed.

10 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

We don't ever give strokes. The entire idea of handicap is stupid (in my moronic opinion). If you want to win a bet, you should get better at golf. It helps that my regular foursome consists of relatively equal players that will shoot anywhere from 75 to 85 on any given day. 

I check it against sprinkler markers all the time when one is close by and it will not cause a delay. Always right on or within a yard or two at most. It’s also consistent with the guy shooting the distance with a range finder and if it isn’t it’s usually the rangefinder reading that was wrong—likely user error. I trust the watch completely. Do range finders give you front/back/middle? Depending on pin location and the slope of the green the front or back of the green yardage is more important to me than the pin location. For me, it’s the speed and convenience. I get annoyed with playing partners taking too much time fumbling for the range finder, stepping out of the cart and walking to their ball, trying to hold it steady after a few drinks, and they still have trouble getting a good reading. They then have to walk back to the cart and put it away. All of that adds time to a round when each guy does it. And sometimes I have to tell them to read it again because I know they didn’t get a good reading based on what’s showing on my watch.
  • Like 1

Sure, it’s in the cart but they still fumble around to find it as it gets tossed around with their phone and other shit in the cart. Then there are the ones that vecro to the frame of the cart. Sometimes they fall off and the player has to go back a hole or two to find it. I like that my watch is on my wrist and with a two second glance I have what I need even if it’s a blind pin placement. It also has a nice feature that with a press of a button it will display exactly how far you hit your shot when you get to your ball. My playing partners will hit their best drive and ask me to measure it. It’s almost always shorter than they think.

Best putting round in a couple years yesterday. Damn it is fun to watch the ball go into the hole. 

Also, finally rec'd my custom sm8 from vokey last week. Covid delays made it take about 8 weeks.  Worth the wait. What a club. 49 degree 2nd gap wedge. Damn. 

Had a change of plans for Norther MI trip2. Met an associate and played Orchard Lakes on day 1, course is everything that is right with golf. Headed up to Petoskey and played Belvedere 3 days in a row, great value and walk. Belvedere runs similar to courses in UK where you can play as a non-member. Finished it off with a Bay Harbor sunset round at Links/Quarry, fun but played for 1st time it was blind-target golf. The starter suggested I go to their site for gps, I did not and lost 8 balls on the round. We had fun, 2.5 hrs to play front 9 but 3 4'somes dropped at turn and played back in 80 min. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Played round one of my club championship today. Ended up with a five over 77. That’s with a got damn triple on a par five I usually birdie. Hit one OB. I this missed an 8” inch putt on another. Throw in two more three putts and a 77. Probably the worst score I could have shot as well as I hit the ball.

Round two tomorrow. They have me as as 5.6 so I won’t be winning anything anyway

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1