2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

5 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Tight lie today on 11.
ea183438aa3a1292fe02971f1329a594.jpg

Where is that?  Obviously not where it reminds me of...

I grew up playing at Riverside between Lake Jackson and Brazoria.  Hole 9 was a short par 4 over water with a bridge right of the fairway, tree “guarding” the green short right (but not really in play) and bunkers short on both sides of the green.  Really similar to the pic.

In HS, I hit one right off the tee that settled on the bridge. Unlike the above there were rubber strips to to limit wear on the wooden bridge.  I played my sand wedge off the bridge and pulled it back damn near the length of green to hole out for eagle.  Almost every time after that I’d hit one off the bridge and never came close to holing it again.  But they always spun like crazy.  

Separately, from less challenging lies I also bounced more than one off the clubhouse that was easily 40 yards behind the green. 

Edited by brown water

Where is that?  Obviously not where it reminds me of...
I grew up playing at Riverside between Lake Jackson and Brazoria.  Hole 9 was a short par 4 over water with a bridge right of the fairway, tree “guarding” the green short right (but not really in play) and bunkers short on both sides of the green.  Really similar to the pic.

In HS, I hit one right off the tee that settled on the bridge. Unlike the above there were rubber strips to to limit wear on the wooden bridge.  I played my sand wedge off the bridge and pulled it back damn near the length of green to hole out for eagle.  Almost every time after that I’d hit one off the bridge and never came close to holing it again.  But they always spun like crazy.  

Lakewood CC Dallas
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, pops said:

Sounds dumb,  but actually pretty easy to play off of. Will spin like a mofo. 

Likely no local rule so drop back, no closer to hole? Can you choose fairway vs rough since bridge likely has no specific rule?

Likely no local rule so drop back, no closer to hole? Can you choose fairway vs rough since bridge likely has no specific rule?

It’s in a water hazard. Play it as it lies or use standard hazard rules to drop w penalty.

• Hook 'Em 1

I actually had to call it in. The hazard paint did not cross the cart path Apparently it is treated as cart path so I got a free drop. If it had been farther from the edge I might have tried to hit it off the bridge but the edge was in my swing path.

38 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I actually had to call it in. The hazard paint did not cross the cart path Apparently it is treated as cart path so I got a free drop. If it had been farther from the edge I might have tried to hit it off the bridge but the edge was in my swing path.

Local rules are always a guessing game. Typically that is considered in the hazard but good for you for getting relief. 

Nonresponsive.

Look. I get it. My initial reaction is that it should be in the hazard/penalty area. But if the bridge isn’t marked then it’s an open question. Here the paint stopped on either side of the path.

So it’s up to the staff to define where the penalty area is.

1 hour ago, DDD Dad said:

You say this as if there is a rule to support it yet you don’t provide it.

The rule is pretty simple.  If it’s your ball on the bridge, it’s inbounds.  If it’s the other guy’s ball, it’s o.b.  

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/24/2020 at 9:59 PM, conVINCEd said:

I’ve owned one putter in my 30ish year golfing life.  Ping, probably from the 80’s.  Grandfather gave it to me when I started playing semi-seriously.   Always been a pretty good putter, never felt the need to upgrade.  I’ve putted  with some of the new stuff, and I just don’t feel like there is some massive technological advantage I am giving up like there is with every other club.  Everything else in the bag has been upgraded many, many  times over the years, but I very well may die with that putter.

So much this. I've been using the same Zebra for over 30 years. I've flirted with a lot of others but I have yet to find one that is more reliable. I put a 1 5/16 grip on it and can't imagine using anything else.

We play a 1,2,5 game on the weekends with up to 12 players. I had 5 birdies and 2 bogies for a 69 and 2 eggs today. One stroke from shooting my age again.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/2/2020 at 11:41 AM, Lurch said:

Hazards are vertical. If the water under the bridge is hazard, the bridge is. The paint is irrelevant, short of a local rule, imo.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:12 PM, Lurch said:

On 8/2/2020 at 7:16 PM, DDD Dad said:

Nonresponsive.

Look. I get it. My initial reaction is that it should be in the hazard/penalty area. But if the bridge isn’t marked then it’s an open question. Here the paint stopped on either side of the path.

So it’s up to the staff to define where the penalty area is.

So after doing some more digging I think the staff gave me the wrong answer.  Best as I can tell, even if penalty area is marked with stakes and lines (as is the case at my course), it is not necessarily required for the line to cross over the path/bridge for the bridge to be part of the penalty area.   IMO the better practice would be to note one way or the other on the scorecard or in shop as a local rule.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/8/2020 at 7:31 PM, DDD Dad said:

So after doing some more digging I think the staff gave me the wrong answer.  Best as I can tell, even if penalty area is marked with stakes and lines (as is the case at my course), it is not necessarily required for the line to cross over the path/bridge for the bridge to be part of the penalty area.   IMO the better practice would be to note one way or the other on the scorecard or in shop as a local rule.

Yep. That's the way it works under the rules. Whatever is under the bridge is treated the same as being on the bridge,  but the course always has the authority to make a local rule. 

Shot my personal best on the front 9 today for a 39. Even par thru 6 my buddy spent the whole time we were waiting on the 7th tee talking about my score and how well I was playing so obviously fired the next ball OB. Finished bogey bogey bogey. 

followed up the 39 with a smooth 49 on the back. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

Playing Mo Willy today at 10:50. I might melt into a puddle of disappointment.

First 18 I've played in a looooong time. Will be lucky to break 100.

51 out 47 in. Fucking 10 over on the first four holes. Played the last 15 17 over. 

Bag needs some work. Missing irons, woods are garbage, lob wedge needs a new grip.

Oh well. Had fun. Need to get back into playing, it had been too long.

51 out 47 in. Fucking 10 over on the first four holes. Played the last 15 17 over. 
Bag needs some work. Missing irons, woods are garbage, lob wedge needs a new grip.
Oh well. Had fun. Need to get back into playing, it had been too long.

PM [mention]capnamerca [/mention] for tips and videos on regripping.

I had to miss my club championship last weekend and cancel an outing with a buddy this week since my wife has gone crazy over this quarantine thing. She doesn’t believe I can play a round with buddies safely.

Possibly true for a member guest but club championship?!? I can’t wait to get back on the course more regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I had to miss my club championship last weekend and cancel an outing with a buddy this week since my wife has gone crazy over this quarantine thing. She doesn’t believe I can play a round with buddies safely.

Possibly true for a member guest but club championship?!? I can’t wait to get back on the course more regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to tell your wife to chill the fuck out

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

You need to tell your wife to chill the fuck out

Agreed... to be fair we are having parents visit in the next 2 weeks (some of which just finished cancel treatment). Once the kids go back to school in Sept I figure it will be all bets off.

Just now, ZB'Tejas said:

Agreed... to be fair we are having parents visit in the next 2 weeks (some of which just finished cancel treatment). Once the kids go back to school in Sept I figure it will be all bets off.

Well yeah if that's the case then I get it. Golf is one of the few things that feels completely harmless during covid. Especially in the 100 degree south texas heat. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

After playing/practicing for four months my swing seems to be coming together. I'm certainly striking my putter better. I bought a 3-wood (haven't used one since the late 1990s) and I'm hitting some great shots with it.

I need to hit about 10,000 shots between 30-100 yards.

On 8/21/2020 at 5:48 AM, Bookman said:

After playing/practicing for four months my swing seems to be coming together. I'm certainly striking my putter better. I bought a 3-wood (haven't used one since the late 1990s) and I'm hitting some great shots with it.

I need to hit about 10,000 shots between 30-100 yards.

This really is the bottom line. I hit probably 100 half wedges the other night; by the end of the session I felt pretty good about it. Went out to play the next day, and it was like I was holding a live snake. Made two bogies and a double on par5s, sitting 2 inside of 100 yards. Fucking hate this game some times.

• Like 1

This really is the bottom line. I hit probably 100 half wedges the other night; by the end of the session I felt pretty good about it. Went out to play the next day, and it was like I was holding a live snake. Made two bogies and a double on par5s, sitting 2 inside of 100 yards. Fucking hate this game some times.

Except that I’m now laying strokes to you....

Played a round robin yesterday afternoon, and in the clutch made par on four out of five holes to put the match away. Fairway, green, two-putts.
I need to do a better job of reading greens.

Or hit it closer to the hole on the greens.

22 hours ago, capnamerca said:

I keep hitting them fat. It's infuriating.

Took a lesson today for the first time in a couple years from my old college coach. I'd been actually scoring ok but just zero consistency. I had gotten so fucked up trying to fix what I knew was wrong it was almost comical that I could even make contact.

But my God it felt good to finally compress the ball again. 

Moral of the story... have someone that knows what they are doing take a look. You have no clue. Your brain is lying to you. 

• Like 1

So I’m pretty sold on the new mizuno JPX hot metal irons. Does anyone play them ? Their hot metal line out sells all mizuno irons combined.  5% of the iron market. I found that note interesting.

I’ll do the mizuno swing analyzer and see what it says. My titleist ap2 irons have been damn good clubs. Titleist makes a great iron and wedges. They still make the best golf ball too 

So I’m pretty sold on the new mizuno JPX hot metal irons. Does anyone play them ? Their hot metal line out sells all mizuno irons combined.  5% of the iron market. I found that note interesting.
 I’ll do the mizuno swing analyzer and see what it says. My titleist ap2 irons have been damn good clubs. Titleist makes a great iron and wedges. They still make the best golf ball too 

I have the hot metal 919s. I love them. Buttery feel and the best looking game improvement irons on the market imo. Everything mizuno makes is beautiful.

They’ve always made a beautiful iron but until the hot metal I always questioned the playability 

all I care about is distance,. I’ve always been a straight hitter with my irons 

i plan on getting stronger lofts but I’m curious about the mizuno fitting. I worked in Golf shops all through hs / college / 20’s and I’ve been very good at fitting my swing to the shafts and such. Imo the shaft is everything

Edited by tx 3 putt

Played in a charity scramble at Cowboys last week. We shot 15 under, good enough for third place lol. So many sandbaggers

We didn’t use one single shot of one guy, only putts for the second guy. I was third and used a lot of my irons but our ringer was a kid who hit every drive well over 300. He was like freakin Rory McElroy.

I hit nothing but short irons in all day, seven iron on par fives. It’s a different game when you’re that long.