2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

Played in a charity scramble at Cowboys last week. We shot 15 under, good enough for third place lol. So many sandbaggers

We didn’t use one single shot of one guy, only putts for the second guy. I was third and used a lot of my irons but our ringer was a kid who hit every drive well over 300. He was like freakin Rory McElroy.

I hit nothing but short irons in all day, seven iron on par fives. It’s a different game when you’re that long.

The key to winning those is to turn in your scorecard last and carry a good eraser.
  • Like 1

Caveat: Haven't read a single post in this thread or it's 2019 predecessor, so apologies if this has been asked/answered. 

Golfer from the time I was 8 or 9 until my late 30s. Joined Onion Creek when I moved to Austin in the late 80s and played in the weekend Brown group for years (with dime a point gin in the locker room after). Pretty much stopped playing when kids came along in the early aughts because of the time suck. Now starting to play some again. What's the current state of art ball that helps with length/loft but cuts down on spin? Also, will I look like a dork if I wear my 20 year old black Footjoys (they are softspikes)?

12 hours ago, StruggleBus said:

There should be no numbers assigned to irons. They should have the loft only on the bottom of the club.  

Then I wouldn’t have to listen to my fuckstick friend brag about hitting his “5 iron” 215.

And in the process probably having a 35-yard gap between "PW" and his 56deg sand wedge. Drives me fucking insane.

12 hours ago, ftf82 said:

What's the current state of art ball that helps with length/loft but cuts down on spin? 

Those two things are opposites. Play something softer that doesn't cost you $60/dozen. Bridgestone e5/e6, Titleist Tour Speed (supposed to be $35/doz, we'll see), Callaway ERC Soft or Supersoft. You can sometimes find the Callaway Chromesoft Truvis balls for $35/doz.

On 8/31/2020 at 10:52 PM, StruggleBus said:

There should be no numbers assigned to irons. They should have the loft only on the bottom of the club.  

Then I wouldn’t have to listen to my fuckstick friend brag about hitting his “5 iron” 215.

Would be cool. They do it with wedges, so why not with irons?

I can maybe get an honest 5 215 - if I tee it up and hit 10 yards downhill lol.

Has anyone ever hit these or clubs like them? Found them in my mom's garage and got some rust off em - not sure where they came from.

20200903_125348.jpg

20200903_125358.jpg

Would be cool. They do it with wedges, so why not with irons?
I can maybe get an honest 5 215 - if I tee it up and hit 10 yards downhill lol.
Has anyone ever hit these or clubs like them? Found them in my mom's garage and got some rust off em - not sure where they came from.

20200903_125348.thumb.jpg.9a2fa8d953186bc76e2f796ab0e5718e.jpg
20200903_125358.thumb.jpg.74e7669b97965f1b36008e3c2a340178.jpg

When you hit them on the sweet spot, which is about the size of a dime, I bet it feels like butter.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:12 AM, capnamerca said:

And in the process probably having a 35-yard gap between "PW" and his 56deg sand wedge. Drives me fucking insane.

Finally changed my wedge game this year because the gaps are dumb. I've always had PW-52-58 and carried a 5 wood and 2 iron. Have the ping blueprints and even though i got retro lofts the gap between PW and 52 was just too much. So, added a 49,  dumped 52 for a 54 and 58 then take out either the 2i or 5w depending on the course. So much better with the tighter gapping at the bottom of the bag. I cant even think what it would be like with PW at 44 or even 42 in some of the sets today. 

The PW in my AP1s is 43. The set finishes with a 48 degree gap wedge. I carry 52, 56, and 60 degree vokeys. 

I carry 15 clubs. The top end of my bag is D, 3W, 19* hybrid, 4i(21*). 

Edited by heso

27 minutes ago, pops said:

Finally changed my wedge game this year because the gaps are dumb. I've always had PW-52-58 and carried a 5 wood and 2 iron. Have the ping blueprints and even though i got retro lofts the gap between PW and 52 was just too much. So, added a 49,  dumped 52 for a 54 and 58 then take out either the 2i or 5w depending on the course. So much better with the tighter gapping at the bottom of the bag. I cant even think what it would be like with PW at 44 or even 42 in some of the sets today. 

Yeah I hadn't touched my bag in forever and went out and played and had this issue as well. I just had a PW and a 56 or 57 and there were a handful of shots where a club between them would have been nice. 

Dug this up and cleaned it today, too. Some tarnish on it but it's in pretty good shape - excited to hit it.

20200903_230123.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, HouTex said:

Why stop at 15?

Bag is getting a little heavy for walking in the hills of Pennsylvania. I’ll probably take the 4i out eventually and just work in taking a little off the hybrid when I need it, which isn’t all that often. 

On 9/3/2020 at 11:09 PM, ztejas said:

Yeah I hadn't touched my bag in forever and went out and played and had this issue as well. I just had a PW and a 56 or 57 and there were a handful of shots where a club between them would have been nice. 

Dug this up and cleaned it today, too. Some tarnish on it but it's in pretty good shape - excited to hit it.

20200903_230123.jpg

So I got to hit this today. It's a fucking awesome clubhead. Only problem is that the shaft is abnormally short and I play half an inch long to begin with. So it's basically impossible for me to hit. Makes me wonder where it came from or who owned it previously.

I need to get a bunch of shit regripped, anyway, so I guess I'll find a new shaft for it while I'm at it.

Just played 9 at Harvey Penick twice. It remains a great little par 30 even if it's pretty rough around the edges. 

However, it's an absolute shitshow out there. They have that soccer golf thing running alongside each hole now so you have those people out there plus the normal super beginner Penick clientele that you get that can take forever to play.

At one point we got stuck behind a threesome that was playing behind a fucking sixsome with a wife and kid and just opted to skip the hole so we could play through.

Sunday afternoon on a holiday weekend probably not the best time to go I guess.

Been a rough summer.  49 rounds on 6/1 and only 10 rounds since.  Played Shangri-La at Grand Lake a couple of weeks ago 2 over on the front nine with my second ever eagle and finished double, double, single bogey for an 82.  A personal best by 1 stroke.  Handicap at 11.5 but has been consistently between 12.5 and 13.1 all year.  I was playing a ton but not really practicing so my short game is inconsistent.  Another frustration is that i have changed my putting stroke.  My fell is unreal at this point, never 3 putting and putting long putts withing 20" each time.  But i'm not ramming it home on 3-5 footers anymore so i'm really letting the green take control of the ball.  Results in missing a lot of short putts which is incredibly frustrating.  The other day I almost had a hole in 1 only to miss the 2.5' putt because of a 4" break and babying the ball to the hole.  Need to get back into my old putting routine and get back to making putts.

I’m playing the Golf Club of Houston tomorrow afternoon. I’m looking forward to it even if I’m not playing very well right now. I either can’t get off the tee and hit decent iron shots or the other way around. I’d really like to have everything align one day.

8 hours ago, Jhawk said:

A huge issue is that i haven't been practicing at all.  I show up and play, sometimes not even stretching.  I really need to be on the range at least 1 time a week, 2 being better.

I love not playing well until the last 5 holes. 

I'm really good at it, too. This last outing I think I started something like triple, double, double and then made par on 4 of the last 5 with a few GIR (which is good for me, I'm happy with bogey golf right now). And we only got about 14 holes in before it got dark. 

Just posted this in DT. Cross posting here. 

As of yesterday, i’m the new owner of Swing Zone Golf, https;//swingzonegolf.com. We are an indoor golf simulator/sports bar. We have 6 simulator bays, a full bar and food. We’ll be upgrading the food menu shortly as well. The simulators have almost 200 courses from around the world that you can play a full 18 on as well as a driving/chipping range. Pebble Beach, Spyglass, Bethoage Black, St Andrews and Harbour Town are just a few of the courses available on the simulators. The full list is on our website. You are welcome to bring your own clubs or, if you’re more of a drinker than golfer, we have ones available to use. We’re located in Tomball, right at the border of Tomball, Spring and The Woodlands. 

After reading about all the fun @Penelope has had opening her bar, how could I not jump at the chance? 🤣 Would love to have any and all Shaggy-ites in thearea come by and check us out. Send me a message and let me know you’re coming and I’ll buy you a drink. We have 6 big screens tuned into all the big sports. We’ll have all the Astros, Texans, Cowboys, Sooners and Longhorns games on. Or just ask us to put your team on. I’d love to become an unofficial watch place for a couple of different university alumni groups in the area like the Texas Exes. 

Look forward to meeting anyone that comes by. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Spent Monday and Tuesday out at Pine Dunes in Frankston, TX, with two surly-ites and one other guy. Played 36 monday (all from the tips, shot 79-87), and 18 Tuesday (blues, 84). What an amazing, incredible golf course. It's long, hard, fair, beautiful, tough, subtle, bold, big, pretty, quiet ... looks more than a little bit line Pinehurst in Texas. Quaint clubhouse and grill set in the middle of fucking nowhere, TX, with a world-class golf course. Even after three rounds I can't say I know the best way to play all the holes. All four of us hit several putts each that had perfect speed and still missed by five feet - the greens don't have huge break, but it was consistently hard to get the ball close. All the greens had areas to run the ball up, or at least a safe place to bail and chip from. Really tough visual sight lines off the tee - no blind tee shots, but lots of doglegs (lots of dogleg lefts), and a few shots that with forced carry that messed with your eyes. Liberal use of bunkers, with more than one in the fairway not as hazards but as aim points. The holes aren't narrow, per se, but with the pine trees and undergrowth so punishing, finding fairways is the key to avoiding big numbers. 4 and 17 are 460+ par 4s, and 6 is a par 3 that was playing 255 into the wind ... just sick.

Top notch, all the way around, and a fucking STEAL at $89 (with $30 replays!). If you haven't gone yet, go. Make it a day trip if you have to - you won't regret it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, capnamerca said:

Shit, I hit cut driver in the second round on Monday.

Yeah, I mean, I wish I could consistently hit my 2 iron in the 250 range but I might make that contact 2 out of every 5 shots. 

But I'm tall and young and my distance covers up the shitty parts of my game sometimes. I wish I could break 80 on a course like you're describing. Maybe in a few years.

Has anybody played the Texas Rangers course? I'm thinking about heading over there Friday afternoon. Would like to know that it's a fun course in good shape for the drive (about 30 mins for me so not too bad) and $.

I played it last summer. It was a lot of fun. Great variety of par 4s, good layout, and good conditions.

I don’t know what the green fee was (longhornanth paid for me) but I would think it is easily worth up to $100.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spent Monday and Tuesday out at Pine Dunes in Frankston, TX, with two surly-ites and one other guy. Played 36 monday (all from the tips, shot 79-87), and 18 Tuesday (blues, 84). What an amazing, incredible golf course. It's long, hard, fair, beautiful, tough, subtle, bold, big, pretty, quiet ... looks more than a little bit line Pinehurst in Texas. Quaint clubhouse and grill set in the middle of fucking nowhere, TX, with a world-class golf course. Even after three rounds I can't say I know the best way to play all the holes. All four of us hit several putts each that had perfect speed and still missed by five feet - the greens don't have huge break, but it was consistently hard to get the ball close. All the greens had areas to run the ball up, or at least a safe place to bail and chip from. Really tough visual sight lines off the tee - no blind tee shots, but lots of doglegs (lots of dogleg lefts), and a few shots that with forced carry that messed with your eyes. Liberal use of bunkers, with more than one in the fairway not as hazards but as aim points. The holes aren't narrow, per se, but with the pine trees and undergrowth so punishing, finding fairways is the key to avoiding big numbers. 4 and 17 are 460+ par 4s, and 6 is a par 3 that was playing 255 into the wind ... just sick.
Top notch, all the way around, and a fucking STEAL at $89 (with $30 replays!). If you haven't gone yet, go. Make it a day trip if you have to - you won't regret it.

$59. The rooms were $89.

45 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

I played it last summer. It was a lot of fun. Great variety of par 4s, good layout, and good conditions.

I don’t know what the green fee was (longhornanth paid for me) but I would think it is easily worth up to $100.

Planning to tee off at 4:20, so the fee is down to $79 by then (seems to be $102 for prime tee times during the week and $119 on the weekend). Think I'm going to check it out. Thanks.

Love Pine Dunes.

Do not ever try to bring your own beer into that course though. They are MILITANT

Do liquor instead. They didn’t inspect our styros or insulated drink containers when I was there last fall. Those little airplane bottles also work. That said, I do prefer beer to liquor during a round.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

There's always ways around that.  Trust me.

I've fooled the worst of 'em.

We had a softside cooler UNDER THE SEAT and the bastard inspected that and busted us.

Then I felt like a jerk because they need the revenue badly to keep up that awesome track.

I guess that is why they charge a mint for their "cabins*"

*shitty converted ass apartments with window units.