2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

I came down with food poisoning and was down for the count all weekend. Didn’t get even 1 of my 4.5 rounds in. Gotta grind this week. Luckily the sun is allowing play until 830 or so. Going to try and play every day until Saturday then lake it up. 

In tourneys, arrive 1 hour before tee.

Stretch, 8i to get groove, then 7i, 6i, 4h, 3w, Driver, then back to 8i, 9i, W, 56*, 60*

Eat/restroom

bunker, chips

4’ straight, flat putts between two tees with two alignment rods running length of putt to hole. Then take aids away and do 4’, 6’, 8’ putts. Maybe a few long putts to practice lag. Then off to tee.

Non-tourney, maybe 30 mins early.

Stretch, probably 10-15 swings total. 6-9 putts. Tee.

• Like 1

I’m trying not to show and go much anymore but I’ve also watched my friends (and I’ve done it too) beat balls for an hour before a round. Hitting 76 balls before a round isn’t going to prep you or fix anything and if you’re a mid-80s player then you just doubled the load on your mind and body for a day of golf. 

I’ve been relaxing before rounds. Trying to not rush to the course. I walk slow. Maybe listen to some easy music that doesn’t get my heart rate up. I stretch my core. I take a 5-10 orange whip swings and then will chat with people while casually hitting 15-20 yard high and low chips. I work it up to 50 yarders and then 100 yards. Probably 15 balls with the 56 degree and an additional 5 at 100 yards. Basically only 5 full swings. Then I’ll grab a 9 or 8. Hit 10 balls or so. 5 at half swing. Only 5 or so at close to full swing. Then a 6 about the same. Then 5 or so with a 4 iron and about 10 with a driver. I’m hitting max 50 balls and probably 25 of them are full swing. Many of them are just casual flops or chips. I depending on time i night hit 5 punch shots. I don’t want to be rushed so I’ll head to the putting green with about 20 minutes before tee time. Putt for 10 minutes. Mainly putting a ball at 3-6-9 feet in a line and I putt from 12-3-6-9 on the clock around 1 hole. Then I’ll toss in a few 15-25 footers just for pace, never to make really. Then I’m getting food and drink 5-7 minutes before the round in the halfway house. I’ve found that eating more often than before the round and at the turn helps my mind stay focused. I’ll eat something before the round. Snickers and jerky or protein bar around hole 4. Banana and more protein at the turn. 

...oh. Almost forgot... also get roaring drunk by 16 if things aren’t going right. 

• Like 2

Well I’m finally biting the bullet. I’m going to take a couple of lessons and go to a few clinics. I used to be pretty good back when I lived in Austin. I played about 3 times a week and went to golf clinics a couple of times a month to maintain my swing. Since I moved to Houston 13 years ago, I haven’t played consistently and I can’t play well for a while round anymore. I may play well for a few holes, but I quickly lose the feel and struggle with my fundamentals to get it back. We’ll see how it goes.

2 hours ago, heso said:

What’s your guys pre-round warmup? 

Beer.

Tournament golf/grinding ended my senior year in college. Walked off the last green at conference and decided I’d had enough of that shit.

Edited by Revolution512
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Beer.

Tournament golf/grinding ended my senior year in college. Walked off the last green at conference and decided I’d had enough of that shit.

Honestly, I didn’t enjoy the game that much when I played competitively when I was young. I have much more fun now than I did then, even though I’m nowhere near the golfer I used to be.

What’s your guys pre-round warmup? 

I have found that my warm up has no bearing on how well I play that day. And sometimes, like all of April and most of May, no warm up at all produced some great scores for me. I definitely believe that too much time on the range can hurt. If I hit several bad shots in a row and don’t know what I did wrong it can ruin my round before it starts. If I practice at before a round I now try to hit 20-30 balls. And if I hit my driver really well the first time I hit it I’m done.

Lots of stretching at home. A few swings on the orange whip. Arrive at course 1 hr early, hit a few putts, 10 to 15 chips, then head to range.

8i to loosen up. Then 10 to 15 wedges. Then 5 or 6 long iron shots. Then 10 to 15 drivers.

Back to putting green to work on lags, get a feel for green speed.

1st tee.

Shot a 47 today on 9.  First time to play in a couple of years due to back issues.  I was happy with that.  I struck the ball better than I expected, and was terrible around the greens, which is normally a strength.  I figure next time out I’ll spray it all over the place and bail myself out with my short game.  Such is golf.

• Like 2

Day 1 of the member/member and I had a career round. I have only broken 80 a handful of times, and not once in at least 15 years. But it all came together today and I shot 74. After missing a 6 footer for birdie on the first, I caught fire with the putter and made five 20-30 footers. Course was set up about 200 yards shorter than the tees I normally play, but I'll take it. Maybe I should move up a box full time.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

Day 1 of the member/member and I had a career round. I have only broken 80 a handful of times, and not once in at least 15 years. But it all came together today and I shot 74. After missing a 6 footer for birdie on the first, I caught fire with the putter and made five 20-30 footers. Course was set up about 200 yards shorter than the tees I normally play, but I'll take it. Maybe I should move up a box full time.

How many cries of "Sandbagger!" were there?  ;)

My first gcamtour tourney i shot 105 somewhere in SA. A few weeks later at second tourney, I shot a then personal record of 80 on Onion Creek. Quite a few dudes were legit challenging me. Tourney Director immediately moved me up to the next group (8-12 handicap) where I proceed to come in dead ass last for the next 4-5 events before my tourney index forced him to move me back to the 12-16 group.

Golf.

8 hours ago, Jhawk said:

You’ll shoot 104 from the same box today. 

Today was an 18 hole shamble. We took 14 of my tee shots including all five par 3s (let's not talk about the four we didn't take). I hit 13 greens but didn't make a putt longer than 5 feet all day. My gross shamble score was a 73. 

We won our flight going away, and got into the modified alternate shot shootout. I have never played competitive golf so I had never felt pressure over a swing like that. I should have slammed a few drinks from the beverage cart while we were waiting. You can see where this is going. I promptly duck hooked my drive into the trees, and then fanned an 8 iron from my dad's ball in the middle of the fairway. He lagged to 4 feet and I sank the putt to save our par. He can't chip for shit, so deferred to me for the five-way blind chip off. I was lining up with my putter to cross 10 feet of fringe and 50 feet of green when the pro told me I had to chip. So I went back to my bag and grabbed the 58* (I liked the weight and had no confidence in a lower lofted club), but it checked up about 10 feet short and that apparently wasn't good enough.

I am sure that 104 is coming at some point, but I am dialed in right now.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lurch said:

Alternate shot is awesome. The pressure is INTENSE. Incredible high when you pick up your partner and you feel like total shit when you fuck up.

Our club does 4 blind pairing alternate shot horse races a year and everyone comes out to watch. The first and only one I have been in had about 100 people in the gallery not including the 30 guys in it. Scary shit. 

Edited by Jhawk

Effing 93 yesterday.  What was weird was I struck the ball fairly well but it just seemed that my lob wedge (what I use for everything 100 yards an in) screwed me on multiple holes.  Mostly the short chips from 10 yards or less.  When you 3 chip on a multiple holes its a problem. That and some putting added 7-10 shots to my score.  I know I know, short game.

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Effing 93 yesterday.  What was weird was I struck the ball fairly well but it just seemed that my lob wedge (what I use for everything 100 yards an in) screwed me on multiple holes.  Mostly the short chips from 10 yards or less.  When you 3 chip on a multiple holes its a problem. That and some putting added 7-10 shots to my score.  I know I know, short game.

When I try to get cute around the greens I always realize that only 1 thing matters... eye on the ball. You can’t do anything with feel until you keep your eye on the ball. That’s 3 strokes a round minimum. You’re welcome. 

Fuck this game, and also I love this game. A month ago, buddy and I played at Falconhead and neither one of us (both single-digit handicaps) couldn't find the clubface, much less the sweet spot. Both shot low 90's (easily do-able out there from the back tees). Cut to last sunday - Shot 68 at Star Ranch. Five birdies and two bogies, and really had very little stress all day. Cut to this morning at Star Ranch. Another fucking 68 - four birdies and a lone bogey, and a first-time achievement in my life, a scorecard with no 5's on it. Chipped to a foot on 5 for birdie, two putt birdies on 13 and 18, and my lone bogey was on 12 (par 3, score 4). Crazy game, and those last two rounds have DECIMATED my handicap.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

When I try to get cute around the greens I always realize that only 1 thing matters... eye on the ball. You can’t do anything with feel until you keep your eye on the ball. That’s 3 strokes a round minimum. You’re welcome. 

Thanks and I actually realized that during the round.  I have two bad habits.  One is I dont stay on my left side/front leg and if I dont concentrate on that every shot then I sway back and become really inconsistent.  The other is not looking at the ball on the chip shots and looking up.  When I concentrated on looking at the ball (and not decelerating/follow through) I hit some pretty good chips.

I chunk. When I have my eye on the ball I might pull. When I lean forward and have my eye on the ball I’m within 10 feet. Amazing how that works. 

weird is when I have a neutral shaft lean. Weight forward. Eye on the ball and an outside swing to get the ball up. So unnatural but so good with feel. 

Edited by Jhawk

49 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

weird is when I have a neutral shaft lean. Weight forward. Eye on the ball and an outside swing to get the ball up. So unnatural but so good with feel. 

I'd bet dollars to donuts that with this swing feel, you aren't outside the line at all, but actually on-plane. The really good players play with the club well out in front of their chest, which to normal folks feels like you're shoving it out away from your head like an idiot. It's fascinating to see/feel, right @chitwood?

• Like 1

Fuck this game, and also I love this game. A month ago, buddy and I played at Falconhead and neither one of us (both single-digit handicaps) couldn't find the clubface, much less the sweet spot. Both shot low 90's (easily do-able out there from the back tees). Cut to last sunday - Shot 68 at Star Ranch. Five birdies and two bogies, and really had very little stress all day. Cut to this morning at Star Ranch. Another fucking 68 - four birdies and a lone bogey, and a first-time achievement in my life, a scorecard with no 5's on it. Chipped to a foot on 5 for birdie, two putt birdies on 13 and 18, and my lone bogey was on 12 (par 3, score 4). Crazy game, and those last two rounds have DECIMATED my handicap.

Post it.

Decimated? So it’s down 10 percent?

14 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

So, devastated.

Sigh ...

verb (used with object), dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing.

to destroy a great number or proportion of: The population was decimated by a plague.
to select by lot and kill every tenth person of.
Obsolete. to take a tenth of or from.

(the best part of this is your pedantic reference is flagged "obsolete").

3 hours ago, capnamerca said:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that with this swing feel, you aren't outside the line at all, but actually on-plane. The really good players play with the club well out in front of their chest, which to normal folks feels like you're shoving it out away from your head like an idiot. It's fascinating to see/feel, right @chitwood?

Yep. What’s really odd is that it always comes back nicely under the ball and produces spin. A little tougher to learn distance control but it goes up and is good out to 40 yards or so. I’m really trying to get a good spinning short game. I’m getting there but want to reel back 20 foot chips and I’m not close to where I want to be 

Sigh ...

verb (used with object), dec·i·mat·ed, dec·i·mat·ing.

to destroy a great number or proportion of: The population was decimated by a plague. to select by lot and kill every tenth person of. Obsolete. to take a tenth of or from.   (the best part of this is your pedantic reference is flagged "obsolete").

Deci-tenth. Mate-kill. You didn’t take Latin, did you?

Was on pace (if I got a bogey) to shot a personal best of 85 today but ran out of light. 41 on the front nine. Hit a gap wedge to within 2 feet for a birdie on the first hole that really set the tone for the round. Feels good, man.

My lesson was both revealing and appalling. I can’t believe how far I am taking the club back even when I’m supposed to take half a swing. How in the hell did it get to this?? I’m hitting the clinic this week as well to follow it up. I’m going to be decent at golf again if it kills me.

On 6/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Thanks and I actually realized that during the round.  I have two bad habits.  One is I dont stay on my left side/front leg and if I dont concentrate on that every shot then I sway back and become really inconsistent.  The other is not looking at the ball on the chip shots and looking up.  When I concentrated on looking at the ball (and not decelerating/follow through) I hit some pretty good chips.

They key for me to hitting consistent chips was to always pull the club around my belt, almost a little bit from outside to inside. It takes a away the “pushing straight through” sensation that leads to deceleration around the greens. 

23 hours ago, Hate said:

My lesson was both revealing and appalling. I can’t believe how far I am taking the club back even when I’m supposed to take half a swing. How in the hell did it get to this?? I’m hitting the clinic this week as well to follow it up. I’m going to be decent at golf again if it kills me.

Ughh. Huge problem of mine. At one point a few years back my 3/4 swings were basically at parallel. 

Got a par on 4 of the first 5 holes yesterday with a lone bogey being the other shot.  Then my teenage son started pissing and moaning because he was playing bad and pissed me off to know end and my game went to shit.  Next three holes were two doubles and a triple where I struggled to even hit the ball as my mind was thinking about how pissed I was at him.  Strange day in that I couldn't get off the tee and the Dallas heat at 98 degrees really killed me by the last 5 holes (I used a 8 iron to chip on hole 17 from 10 yards away because I thought I grabbed my lob wedge but could barely stand due to the heat)  yet I still shot a 91.  I guess that is a positive at this point since low 90s was as good as I could do in the past and now when I struggle and can't get off the tee I get low 90s at worst.