2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

Knocked it around Penick today for $16. Fucking mudpit out there - greens were cut high as usual and coupled with it being soggy as shit they were soooo fucking slow. 

Hadn't played in a couple weeks since messing up my back. I kind of felt that as soon as I got back out there I'd be off and running. Sprayed it a bit on the first 9, then played maybe the best golf I ever have the 2nd time around. It was just me and the course - I think there's something to that. Almost had b2b birds on 8 and 9 (or 17 and 18 ig).20201009_155241.thumb.jpg.a57ce18464fc0ee4430c2fa096c6ec56.jpg

Then went around one more to make it 27 and carded a 35.

Obviously it's Penick - pretty easy to score once you've got it figured out. I will say #6 is a little bitch of a golf hole. Bogey there is a par. #7 can be tough, too. 

Nice work.

I'm on 5 straight rounds in the 70s, including a 72 (par 71) from the up tees last weekend. I had a chance for my first under par round, but couldn't close the deal as I three-jacked 15 and bogeyed 18 after nutting my drive right through the fairway into a bunker. Couldn't make a putt to save my life, but I was absolutely stroking the irons. Looking to get out again this weekend, maybe at San Pedro Pitch n Putt before the game tomorrow. I'm enjoying these nice temps.

I need a new set of irons bad.  I've been playing my current set of Titleist for almost 10 years now. I shoot in the mid to low 80s, so looking for a good mid-handicapper set.  I bought the TM M4 driver a couple years ago and really like it.

I'm not sure what the latest and greatest irons are but I found a few with good reviews that I want to try out. I am left handed, so that will narrow it down some.

Thoughts on the following 3 sets? Any better sets out there?

Titleist T200 irons

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL irons

Callaway Apex irons

6 hours ago, Borachio said:

I need a new set of irons bad.  I've been playing my current set of Titleist for almost 10 years now. I shoot in the mid to low 80s, so looking for a good mid-handicapper set.  I bought the TM M4 driver a couple years ago and really like it.

I'm not sure what the latest and greatest irons are but I found a few with good reviews that I want to try out. I am left handed, so that will narrow it down some.

Thoughts on the following 3 sets? Any better sets out there?

Titleist T200 irons

Mizuno JPX 921 SEL irons

Callaway Apex irons

Take a look at the Taylormade P770s as well. Got the P790s recently(would have taken a serious look at the JPX 921 hot metals but bought my irons right before they got released). Game changer for me(coming from the s55). Wasn't a big TM fan prior to these clubs but they are making some seriously amazing clubs lately. 

Edited by AngryDragon

1 hour ago, AngryDragon said:

Take a look at the Taylormade P770s as well. Got the P790s recently(would have taken a serious look at the JPX 921 hot metals but bought my irons right before they got released). Game changer for me(coming from the s55). Wasn't a big TM fan prior to these clubs but they are making some seriously amazing clubs lately. 

Those are some nice looking clubs!  Are both the P770 and P790 for mid-handicap golfers? I couldn't find anything definitive. 

I second the P790 recommendation. I’ve been putting in a lot of work on my game this year, but new irons are at least partially responsible for the improvements I’ve made. I hit the P770s a few weeks ago and did not like them nearly as much, but you should try both if you are inclined. Not saying they are better than the other models. I’ve only hit the T200s of those you’ve listed. Just what I picked up and it was a revelation coming off the 20 year old sets I had played recently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Borachio said:

Those are some nice looking clubs!  Are both the P770 and P790 for mid-handicap golfers? I couldn't find anything definitive. 

I hit about the same scores you do (although I broke 80 for the 2nd time ever recently - mainly due to the clubs and to a new putter that I absolutely love). I've read that you'll see low and mid handicappers play the p790s. The p770s play like a thinner version of the p790s from the reviews I've seen. Definitely got a big distance jump as well and it's the most forgiving iron I've played.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sad weekend. Noticed some micro cracks in my shaft up near the grip of my driver. Still hitting it really well but I assume it's only a matter of time. Been in the bag for 8 years. Dreading trying to find something to replace it. I love that club. 

Yeah,  I could probably just get the same shaft but that never seems to be the same. Going to put her out to pasture when it finally goes. 

For the Houston folks, coming to make a recommendation to play Gus Wortham. I played in a charity event there a couple of weeks ago and it’s a fine course and in good shape. It was the Houston Country Club course until the late 50’s. Not long but lots of character and a surprising amount of elevation changes because it runs along Braes Bayou. If you were taken there blind folded you wouldn’t know you were in Houston.

• Hook 'Em 1

How is Riverside in Austin? Never played - it's a new course, right? 
Pretty good rates that I'm looking at online. 

No it’s been around forever. Used to be Austin Country Club in the days of Harvey Penick.

I play there a lot. It’s fine. Nothing special. Worth it for the price. Has some good downtown views on the front nine. Lots of duffers out there and the staff is exceedingly lax so pace of play can be a problem.

6 minutes ago, gurt said:

No it’s been around forever. Used to be Austin Country Club in the days of Harvey Penick.

I play there a lot. It’s fine. Nothing special. Worth it for the price. Has some good downtown views on the front nine. Lots of duffers out there and the staff is exceedingly lax so pace of play can be a problem.

That's crazy that I've never played it then. I'll have to get out there. 

And pace of play can always be an issue when you're trying to play for less than $50. 

Went to the range, hit some warm up wedge shots and decided to “play” a course in my head. Instead of just hitting one club for a bunch of shots in a row I would hit the tee shot for hole one, then approach and on and on.

Was going well until I pulled a wedge for one of my “approach” shots. Complete shank. Ok, it happens. Try it again, same thing. I suddenly could not hit the ball...everything was a thinned shank. Try as I might I only sort of figured it out before running out of balls. Has me shook.

I don’t know how you can go from making good contact to feeling like you’ve never swung a club before in the span of 30 minutes but here I am. Hopefully I can put it past me on sundays round

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/15/2020 at 3:31 PM, BradInATX said:

Y'all like roller coasters? Check my 13-16. 619bfbb3462a24ca0ed700c3a716fc03.jpg

Do you usually play that strange? You had a birdie, an eagle, 3 doubles and a quad. On 9 holes.

Just make your mind up, man. Either go pro or hang it up.

• Like 1

Do you usually play that strange? You had a birdie, an eagle, 3 doubles and a quad. On 9 holes. Just make your mind up, man. Either go pro or hang it up.

I'm a little jekyll and hyde. Played varsity in high school, quit for 15 years, then picked it back up casually but only get out once a month at best. So I'll flash some game then flash game of someone who plays once a month. I'm also long and wild off the tee so I can be hitting 7 iron into a par 5 or I can be two fairways over after my drive. 

But that was wild even for me. Front 9 was a "normal" 41 of a birdie, 6 bogeys and 2 pars.

Just got to Horseshoe Bay, haven’t been here since the 90’s. Playing three course will post some pics.

Played Cowboys two weeks ago in a scramble. I was B player with my 6 handicap. A player was 24 and hit the driver like Rory McElroy and I’m not kidding. But that’s about all he could do. He and carried the team as the other two guys and we shot 15 under and came in third!

Played in Broker scramble in Duncanville at the old Dallas CC or whatever it’s called, I was A player and played maybe best round ever. Other three guys sucked and we shot 9 under.

Had a contest on par three closest to hole for a a Scotty Cameron putter, 166 uphill, I hit it to 1 foot and got beat by a GD hole in one! Will list pic later.

That’s my update talk later

8bdae4bd58c0b76911f4036995b611f3.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

A player was 24 and hit the driver like Rory McElroy and I’m not kidding. But that’s about all he could do.

If "all he could" do was hit driver like Rory then it sounds like he was probably your most valuable player.

Just got to Horseshoe Bay, haven’t been here since the 90’s. Playing three course will post some pics.

Played Cowboys two weeks ago in a scramble. I was B player with my 6 handicap. A player was 24 and hit the driver like Rory McElroy and I’m not kidding. But that’s about all he could do. He and carried the team as the other two guys and we shot 15 under and came in third!

Played in Broker scramble in Duncanville at the old Dallas CC or whatever it’s called, I was A player and played maybe best round ever. Other three guys sucked and we shot 9 under.

Had a contest on par three closest to hole for a a Scotty Cameron putter, 166 uphill, I hit it to 1 foot and got beat by a GD hole in one! Will list pic later.

That’s my update talk later

8bdae4bd58c0b76911f4036995b611f3.jpg

Oak Cliff CC. Fun track.

Oak Cliff CC. Fun track.

Yeah I had never even heard of it much less played it. Demographic has changed there over the years so it’s not in a great part of town but I was pleasantly surprised. Nice big trees and was in pretty good shape. It was a fun track.

If "all he could" do was hit driver like Rory then it sounds like he was probably your most valuable player.

It was nuts, I hit the ball a long way for my age and usually the longest in my groups but he was flying it by me 30-40 yards at times, always over 300.

Cutting corners on par 5’s leaving me a wedge in sometimes. I don’t think I ever hit anything over an 8 iron all day. Different game that I’m used to.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

It was nuts, I hit the ball a long way for my age and usually the longest in my groups but he was flying it by me 30-40 yards at times, always over 300.

Cutting corners on par 5’s leaving me a wedge in sometimes. I don’t think I ever hit anything over an 8 iron all day. Different game that I’m used to.

I can hit it that far but not that consistently and not with a lot of loft. Part of my game I really need to work on. 

I can hit it that far but not that consistently and not with a lot of loft. Part of my game I really need to work on. 

Biggest improvement I’ve made this last year is my driving accuracy. I got a Callaway Mavrik standard 10.5 with a much lighter shaft than I normally play and can really bomb it. Best feeling and best sounding driver I’ve ever had.

Yeah I had never even heard of it much less played it. Demographic has changed there over the years so it’s not in a great part of town but I was pleasantly surprised. Nice big trees and was in pretty good shape. It was a fun track.

IIRC it’s a Perry Maxwell design.
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2020 at 12:03 AM, gurt said:

Went to the range, hit some warm up wedge shots and decided to “play” a course in my head. Instead of just hitting one club for a bunch of shots in a row I would hit the tee shot for hole one, then approach and on and on.

Was going well until I pulled a wedge for one of my “approach” shots. Complete shank. Ok, it happens. Try it again, same thing. I suddenly could not hit the ball...everything was a thinned shank. Try as I might I only sort of figured it out before running out of balls. Has me shook.

I don’t know how you can go from making good contact to feeling like you’ve never swung a club before in the span of 30 minutes but here I am. Hopefully I can put it past me on sundays round

This was me at the start of the year. My grip had gotten very weak, which led to an open-face/hosel-first delivery at impact. The good news is I embarked on a total swing rebuild, starting with strengthening my grip, which made me feel like I had never swung a club at first, but quickly turned into tight baby draws all day long once I got my swing back on plane. It derailed my plan to focus practice time on short game in the first half of the year, but since May I have been playing the best golf of my life. The hard part was paying $12 for a big bucket to just go hit nothing but smothered pull hooks. Felt like a waste, but I was putting in the work and it paid off.

1 hour ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

This was me at the start of the year. My grip had gotten very weak, which led to an open-face/hosel-first delivery at impact. The good news is I embarked on a total swing rebuild, starting with strengthening my grip, which made me feel like I had never swung a club at first, but quickly turned into tight baby draws all day long once I got my swing back on plane. It derailed my plan to focus practice time on short game in the first half of the year, but since May I have been playing the best golf of my life. The hard part was paying $12 for a big bucket to just go hit nothing but smothered pull hooks. Felt like a waste, but I was putting in the work and it paid off.

Yeah thankfully I was able to correct it with the help of a friend/former college golfer.  Mostly it just got in my head, but I didn't hit any shanks on Sunday so crisis averted (for now)

What are y'alls go tos for hitting an intentional BIG draw or fade? Been starting to play around with it but it's very difficult to pull off when I'm not at the range just dialing it in ball after ball. 

I guess - for starters - how much of it do you achieve with moving the ball in your stance vs. more gimmicky stuff like where you address the ball or how much you close/open the face?

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

What are y'alls go tos for hitting an intentional BIG draw or fade? Been starting to play around with it but it's very difficult to pull off when I'm not at the range just dialing it in ball after ball. 

I guess - for starters - how much of it do you achieve with moving the ball in your stance vs. more gimmicky stuff like where you address the ball or how much you close/open the face?

Big draw is a swinging hook for me.  I mean 30 yards or more movement. I actually practice it with irons every now and then. The bets shot I ever hit in my life was two years ago. Left handed and 18th hole is hard right to a green over 20 foot moat. I am off to left with trees all down the side in the rough. I channel the inner Bubba and hit a 5 iron about 170 with a 40 yard draw/hook. All I wanted was over the water - I will scramble back from anywhere past the green. I can't see the shot after hitting but laying partner up by the green is going crazy. Stopped four feet from hole. Of course I missed the birdie putt....  As far as where to play it - I am very old school and play my irons in different locations depending on the iron. My 5 irons is middle of stance.  For the swinging hook I move it back about 2 inches to make sure I hit down and deliberately rotate wrists over to exagerate the draw.

Edited by AUinHsv

As someone that works in the industry, I get to play maybe once a month these days if I'm lucky. Got a chance to play last Monday with some members at the club I work at.

Not a bad start... (inc /humblebrag)

Par

Birdie

Birdie

Birdie

Bogey (3putt from 12ft, I hate this game)

Par

Birdie

Par

Birdie

Par

Birdie

Then closed with 3 bogeys in the last six holes including a final 3 putt on the last to shoot 70. It's been about... five years since I was -5 during a round. Can't wait to have that adrenaline rush again sometime around the next election cycle...

• Like 1

On 10/16/2020 at 10:03 PM, gurt said:

It's like looking in a mirror.

Especially fun when you lose it mid-round.  Played one of the best first 14 holes of my life last weekend, 3 over with 4 to play finished Bogey, Quad, Double, Double.  Swear to god that was almost it for me.

Edited by Incredulity

Especially fun when you lose it mid-round.  Played one of the best first 14 holes of my life last weekend, 3 over with 4 to play finished Bogey, Quad, Double, Double.  Swear to god that was almost it for me.

588e0cc86f868f95ab63d7124041abc3.gif

I bet you were

Incredulous.

I’ll see myself out.

On 10/24/2020 at 9:12 AM, ztejas said:

It's hard to move the new balls and clubs like before with older stuff,  but the rule of thumb is aim the club at the final target and set your feet and shoulders to where you want the ball to start then swing down that line. 

Maybe move it back a bit to go left and forward a bit to go right. 

That's really the only way for big movement of the ball anymore. 

1 minute ago, pops said:

aim the club at the final target and set your feet and shoulders to where you want the ball to start then swing down that line. 

Interesting. I'll experiment with that.

1 minute ago, pops said:

Maybe move it back a bit to go left and forward a bit to go right. 

Usually it's the opposite for me. Higher up in my stance I place the ball - more of a draw I'm going to hit. Further back - more of a straight ball flight or to the right. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Interesting. I'll experiment with that.

Usually it's the opposite for me. Higher up in my stance I place the ball - more of a draw I'm going to hit. Further back - more of a straight ball flight or to the right. 

I'm saying if you are setting up for the big draw or fade then move it in that direction.  Normally you're correct. Back in you stance and the club isn't fully closed...forward it is past square. 

But if you are trying to hit a sling draw with a closed face and you're aimed way to the right you will need it back in your stance a bit otherwise the face will just be too closed at impact.