2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

10 minutes ago, pops said:

I'm saying if you are setting up for the big draw or fade then move it in that direction.  Normally you're correct. Back in you stance and the club isn't fully closed...forward it is past square. 

But if you are trying to hit a sling draw with a closed face and you're aimed way to the right you will need it back in your stance a bit otherwise the face will just be too closed at impact. 

Ahhh okay. Thanks man. I'm also about to get new clubs so that will change what I'm working with. 

41 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Ahhh okay. Thanks man. I'm also about to get new clubs so that will change what I'm working with. 

Also... that's for irons. If you are talking about a big draw with the driver, tee that thing up high,  put it out on your left toe, close the face and feel like you are Tyson trying to throw an uppercut. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, pops said:

Also... that's for irons. If you are talking about a big draw with the driver, tee that thing up high,  put it out on your left toe, close the face and feel like you are Tyson trying to throw an uppercut. 

I'm flattered that you think I can hit a driver straight to begin with. Easily weakest part of my game right now. 

• 2 weeks later...

God this game wears me out sometimes. 

Played Grey Rock from the white tees today with my dad. It's a good exercise, because I need the practice hitting irons. I've been in a serious free-fall over the last six months. So today, what do I do? I proceed to hit 16 greens (17 if you count the double with a ball OB, the second ball was GIR). And 37 putts. SMOOTH little 74. Iron play was way, way better tho, so i'll definitely take it. Just frustrating to not get anything to go in. I counted 9 putts inside of 15' today for birdie or eagle, not one of them even lipped out (although two died center-cut, but short). 

Awesome. How did you like it compares to the other courses?

If the wind is down it is a cakewalk. Lots of short par 3s and a finishing hole that is a tough par 4 listed as a par 5 on the scorecard.

One of our caddies described it as a ride on a cruise ship. Lots of fun and beautiful views.

It’s a very enjoyable walk and it has jumped into my top 3 favorite courses on the property.

5 hours ago, Rumblefishstix said:

Did you guys know that buying a $2k set of clubs will not make you a better golfer? I found that out this year.

Golfwrx.com has an article showing excellent game improvement sets for something like 200 bucks or so. Best bet was x20's. I had them and loved them but traded them at Golfsmith demo day to get back to Pings - which I also love.

On 11/9/2020 at 8:27 AM, Rumblefishstix said:

Did you guys know that buying a $2k set of clubs will not make you a better golfer? I found that out this year.

I'm guessing pxg?  If not, ignore the rest, but I'll bet they fold that company in the next couple of years. 

Buddy of mine was their tour rep. They paid him a shit ton of money to leave ping and most of the tour guys they have were because of him. They fired him this year to save money and he's at titleist now. The pxgs just never got much traction on tour and it sounds like Parsons is about to cut bait. 

I'm guessing pxg?  If not, ignore the rest, but I'll bet they fold that company in the next couple of years. 
Buddy of mine was their tour rep. They paid him a shit ton of money to leave ping and most of the tour guys they have were because of him. They fired him this year to save money and he's at titleist now. The pxgs just never got much traction on tour and it sounds like Parsons is about to cut bait. 

Anyone play with PXG? Are they that much better than the other out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Anyone play with PXG? Are they that much better than the other out there?

I know a few guys that hit the irons and they are fine. But I'll be honest,  never hit a set that was fit for me. I just can't see how the price is justified. You could fly to titleist,  tM, Ping, z Callaway, whatever and have a factory fitting and come out at maybe 75% the cost of a set of pxgs. Max. 

And their woods have a sweet spot about the size of my dickhole. Not sure a single tour player uses their woods. 

PXG fitting can was out at my course today. Hit a bit with them. They’re golf clubs like everything else. If they were fucking magic wands I’m sure we’d have heard about it. Speaking of magic, I’ve got a driver fitting scheduled the 23rd to see if I can replace my 913D3. Would be nice to rediscover some distance as I enter my 40s. 

PXG fitting can was out at my course today. Hit a bit with them. They’re golf clubs like everything else. If they were fucking magic wands I’m sure we’d have heard about it. Speaking of magic, I’ve got a driver fitting scheduled the 23rd to see if I can replace my 913D3. Would be nice to rediscover some distance as I enter my 40s. 

I have a vague recollection of my 40s.

I have Titleist T-MB irons. About half the cost of PXG.

My AP2s are about 4-5 years old and they are fine. I am considering what a driver upgrade could do (current M1) plus grabbing a 3 wood.

PXG is more of curiosity since I don’t see them very often.

Lol^

Played the Glen of Shadows today from the tips - despite my driver continuing to be an absolute disaster - because I'm a masochist apparently.

Course is in fantastic shape making it a steal for $40. 

That shit wore my ass out. A lot of full long irons and scrambling to save bogeys - hit a lot of 2nd and 3rd shots uphill. It felt like playing 25 holes.

Typically not the type to take photos or preen or anything - but I was laying 3 on #12 and still 200 yds out and hit a full, 15 yd draw 5 iron for my best shot of the day.

20201118_160120.thumb.jpg.8bf829d904a9a06b79037aa499250dc4.jpg

(Anyone wanna guess if I made the putt to save par?)

My short game is in the best shape it's maybe ever been - just need to figure out my big stick and get a new, longer set of irons for my height. Played ~2 shots better than my 20 hdcp given the rating and slope (which I think is a little high - but I'll trust it)

20201118_174114.thumb.jpg.2bcf471a2bec83cc3b345fbc746b9d68.jpg

On 11/18/2020 at 9:15 PM, Rumblefishstix said:

I went with cobras. Specifically their one length irons and speed zone drover and fair way woods. Not shabby. Just need practice.

What made you decide on the one length?  They are interesting to me,  but I think i would struggle with them in the short irons. 

I scrambled like a madman yesterday. Only hit five greens but was sitting -1 in the middle of the 18th fairway. Ended up putting two in the water from there and taking a quintuple bogey 9. Six months ago I was racking up 80s and 81s and couldn't bust through to the 70s. Now I am knocking on the door of even par rounds every few times out. It'll happen. I just need to learn how to close.

Spent 10 days in Southern Utah for Thanksgiving. Hadn't played since mid October up here. Chipping and putting were a little rusty but it was good to get out. Noticed some micro fractures in my driver shaft which bummed me out. I know I can just get a shaft but time to upgrade. That driver has won me a lot of money and tourneys. 8 years in the bag. Titleist 913. Going to schedule a fitting at titleist in carlsbad in January. I am really digging the TSi3. Will be interesting to see how the new stuff matches up to the old. 

20201125_135325.jpg

I scrambled like a madman yesterday. Only hit five greens but was sitting -1 in the middle of the 18th fairway. Ended up putting two in the water from there and taking a quintuple bogey 9. Six months ago I was racking up 80s and 81s and couldn't bust through to the 70s. Now I am knocking on the door of even par rounds every few times out. It'll happen. I just need to learn how to close.

Man I would’ve hung myself if I had a chance for par or under and ended up with an 80...

I had my own chance at breaking 80 today. Needed a 4 on the last par 5, which if you’ve played Riverside you know 18 has no business being a par 5. Had just come off a birdie so was feeling myself. Hit a great drive to 135 out, then proceeded to take 5 more from there...

Golf Magazine's #1 course in Texas is one you've probably never heard of. 

Wolf Point (Port Lavaca) [1]

Built as a wealthy rancher’s private playground, “The Saint Andrews of Texas” is one of the world’s most exclusive courses with only six hundred or so people having ever played it. The layout looks flat and harmless, but architect Mike Nuzzo’s brilliant cloverleaf design makes the wind a constant challenge and brings Keller Creek into play on eight holes. You won’t find ball washers, tee markers or yardages at Wolf Point, but there are camels and a private airstrip. Tom Doak says the special dwarf Bermuda greens are the best in Texas.

On 11/29/2020 at 7:56 PM, gurt said:

Man I would’ve hung myself if I had a chance for par or under and ended up with an 80...

I had my own chance at breaking 80 today. Needed a 4 on the last par 5, which if you’ve played Riverside you know 18 has no business being a par 5. Had just come off a birdie so was feeling myself. Hit a great drive to 135 out, then proceeded to take 5 more from there...

Everyone has this story :). I was playing in one of the big GCAmTour (RIP) tournaments at Streamsong in Florida. I woke up Saturday (1st round) and was really struggling. Got it around the first 10 holes ok, then game went completely away. Got it back and birdied 16, parred 17, and needed par on 18 to break 80. PIPED a fucking drive, caught the speed slot down the hill, had 152 to the pin, which is a fucking driving-range 8i. Straight-up skulled it long into the hazard, made double, 81. Breaking 80 with the game I had that day would have been massive. Oh well.

7 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Everyone has this story :). I was playing in one of the big GCAmTour (RIP) tournaments at Streamsong in Florida. I woke up Saturday (1st round) and was really struggling. Got it around the first 10 holes ok, then game went completely away. Got it back and birdied 16, parred 17, and needed par on 18 to break 80. PIPED a fucking drive, caught the speed slot down the hill, had 152 to the pin, which is a fucking driving-range 8i. Straight-up skulled it long into the hazard, made double, 81. Breaking 80 with the game I had that day would have been massive. Oh well.

Oh, and to beat @DDD Dad to the punch, I also once four-putted from 25' to lose a significant amount of money for he and I to another surly poster. We were playing at a VERY nice club in Ft. Worth, and that was a costly lunch.

Edited by capnamerca
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Oh, and to beat @DDD Dad to the punch, I also once four-putted from 25' to lose a significant amount of money for he and I to another surly poster. We were playing at a VERY nice club in Ft. Worth, and that was a costly lunch.

Should have made you buy a pitcher too.  Because a 4 putt costs a pitcher.

7 hours ago, capnamerca said:

I worked at Shady in high school and caddied for my dad when he played in the Senior Am out there. Couldn’t stop him from putting off the green multiple times during the stroke play rounds. There were no match play rounds for him. 

1 hour ago, Gen. Applewhite said:

I worked at Shady in high school and caddied for my dad when he played in the Senior Am out there. Couldn’t stop him from putting off the green multiple times during the stroke play rounds. There were no match play rounds for him. 

Possibly the best greens i've ever putted on. Certainly top 3 without question. Plus the history that place oozes, it was a hell of a day.

• 2 weeks later...

Several rounds of yip solvent at the gauntlet (black putting green) and afterwards   Honestly the gauntlet was pretty cool - fire pit, chairs over looking Black, full bar and service that comes to the green, drink stands at each hole.  Putter was on fire by the time we left for dinner.  Felt confident heading into our last round on Black.

8E32420C-A9DD-4817-8486-1343D68E1699.jpeg

Day 3.  Black. Our luck with weather ran out. The trip had been windy but no rain until day 3. And we were walking since before 11 or noon it’s no carts and we had an early evening flight. Black was silly - greens are huge but comically undulated. It’s a novelty.  Fun once in a while but not for everyday. 

First pic is a green - maybe 9 if I remember correctly.  Just a huge soup bowl.  Several greens had sprinkler heads on them due to size.  

85761A85-00F5-403C-BCC8-C1C7AC25269E.jpeg

5C4769A4-07EA-4EF1-AFF9-5F8AB8076548.jpeg

99D686DC-9394-4663-837B-4050F6C09D3D.jpeg

B56FB98E-B01A-41AD-A3A7-D697FA6A8A57.jpeg

Edited by brown water
  • Hook 'Em 1