2020 Golf Thread of Disappoint Yourself

Jhawk

Since it's snowing here I'll assume my season is about over unless I get a last minute trip in.  Last week I was +2 thru 6 at my home course in KC.  Proceeded to shoot a 96.  Thursday back in Tulsa, I thought it was more of the same with a 46 on the front side.  Then had my best ever back side at my club here.  Finished with an 86 and a handicap index 11.0.  Up 0.3 points from the beginning of the year but that's because I didn't have a consistent schedule all year.  49 rounds before 6/1.  Finished with 72 rounds, not including about 5-6 9 hole gimmick rounds (scrambles/varying tee holes/etc on tuesday nights).

Can't complain.  Have a trip to streamsong booked, a trip to pebble booked, and Scottsdale in february.  Goal for next year is to get 70 rounds in again.

• Hook 'Em 1

On Ebay, I've noticed "Practice" golf balls for sale (ProV1, Callaway, TP5, etc.). Where do these balls come from? Wondering if it's worth a try.

OK, found this from a guy who apparently is a staff member with Titleist:

Hi guys,

Just to clarify a little on this topic. As you can imagine, we invest significant time and effort to ensure that our products are Best-in-Class in terms of quality, performance and consistency. As such, in the rare event one of our products fails to meet USGA requirements for size, weight, velocity or any other conformance criteria we destroy rather than market such products.

To that end, only products that are of a minimal defect are available for purchase. These products are available in two offerings:

1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

2. Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.

One thing to keep in mind, both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. Please refer to the USGA Official Rules here: http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-05/#5-1/3

As a result of the potential for an X-Out to be non-conforming if tested, we do not recommend using this model during tournament play. 

Edited by Steel Shank

Harvey Penick has been completely ruined by the foot golfers.  Tried to get in a round there Sunday morning and at one point there were 4 groups totaling about 12 people on one hole.  Since there are two or sometimes three foot golf holes per golf hole, you can basically never hit your tee shot until they are all well clear.  Total waste of time and money now.

On 12/15/2020 at 4:29 PM, Steel Shank said:

On Ebay, I've noticed "Practice" golf balls for sale (ProV1, Callaway, TP5, etc.). Where do these balls come from? Wondering if it's worth a try.

OK, found this from a guy who apparently is a staff member with Titleist:

Hi guys,

Just to clarify a little on this topic. As you can imagine, we invest significant time and effort to ensure that our products are Best-in-Class in terms of quality, performance and consistency. As such, in the rare event one of our products fails to meet USGA requirements for size, weight, velocity or any other conformance criteria we destroy rather than market such products.

To that end, only products that are of a minimal defect are available for purchase. These products are available in two offerings:

1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

2. Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.

One thing to keep in mind, both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. Please refer to the USGA Official Rules here: http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-05/#5-1/3

As a result of the potential for an X-Out to be non-conforming if tested, we do not recommend using this model during tournament play. 

Only way I could play good balls growing up was to buy x-outs. I remember discovering an end-cap of Titleist Tour Balata's one day at Oshmans (high school, MAYBE even middle school). $19.99, in the black-and-white box. Bought two, felt like a king. I was even able to buy the 90 compression, which I always preferred.

"Practice" balls are the ones that they send to tournaments, so that staffers can warm up with the right balls. So they've been hit 3, maybe 4 times total, but they're full-quality balls unlike x-outs. Practice balls are a GREAT buy, although I'd be worried about authenticity on eBay. Not that they're selling fake ProV1s, but that they're selling refurbs and not legit practice balls. Refurbs are to be avoided - the process that the 3rd party folks use totally changes how the ball plays. But if you find Practice dozens at retail, or you trust the seller on eBay, snap 'em up.

Edited by capnamerca

Got some new irons today. I think the ones I had been playing with were at least 10 years old and I had snapped off two clubheads within the past couple of months. Went to the PGA superstore and it was pretty picked through. The guy had me hit a new Titleist p790 without asking my budget which was kind of a horseshit sales move since it was a fucking awesome club.  Not awesome enough to where I was going to spring $1,300, though. Settled on some pre-owned taylormade M2s for $620 after a new set of grips - PW-4. Should still be a massive improvement. 

If anything at this point I am irritated at how far I hit the ball because it makes my chipping and pitching game that much more embarassing. I mean I'm not that irritated - it does make me giggle like a schoolgirl a little bit. I guess I know what I need to work on. 

Side note - does no one make 3 irons anymore? I'd love a new 2 iron in my bag let alone a 3. Guess I need to work on my driver and hybrid game and start playing the game that everyone else is... 

On 12/13/2020 at 1:54 PM, Jhawk said:

Last week I was +2 thru 6 at my home course in KC.  Proceeded to shoot a 96. 

I wish I could do that. I usually start +5 through 2, pick up some momentum and start envisioning a round in the 80s, then pick a hole or two to fuck up coming home to settle on my regular 94.

Edited by ztejas

Got some new irons today. I think the ones I had been playing with were at least 10 years old and I had snapped off two clubheads within the past couple of months. Went to the PGA superstore and it was pretty picked through. The guy had me hit a new Titleist p790 without asking my budget which was kind of a horseshit sales move since it was a fucking awesome club.  Not awesome enough to where I was going to spring $1,300, though. Settled on some pre-owned taylormade M2s for $620 after a new set of grips - PW-4. Should still be a massive improvement. 
If anything at this point I am irritated at how far I hit the ball because it makes my chipping and pitching game that much more embarassing. I mean I'm not that irritated - it does make me giggle like a schoolgirl a little bit. I guess I know what I need to work on. 
Side note - does no one make 3 irons anymore? I'd love a new 2 iron in my bag let alone a 3. Guess I need to work on my driver and hybrid game and start playing the game that everyone else is... 

Many, if not most, new 4 irons have the loft of old 3 irons. That’s one of the main reasons shots travel farther with the new generation of irons. That’s the case with my relatively new Ping G400s.

• 1 month later...

Let’s see what’s new in my little golf world. In the last two months.

Shot my first 72 with no mulligans and putting out every hole since I took up golf again two years ago. Followed up that round with an 87, like how does that even happen? By hitting 3 fairways and two OB that’s how.

Missed a hole in one by less than an inch two weeks ago

85cd4b3332084832512654170e9090cd.jpg

6b5c09968602ec85684bf42ac738a650.jpg

Did my first swing evaluation ever at Golftec. A week ago. Takes aways, while I center most shots and he said I had great tempo I sometimes close the club face causing hooks and with the driver I had an ugly ass slight over the top sometimes which causes pulls etc.

Then he put my video up next to Colin Morikawa and although I only weigh 190 I look old and fat. Begged him to turn it off..

Added these two beauties to the arsenal. Because we know the more you spend the better you play.

8364f2b3c8242eb2aa299ee7933efff2.jpg

ca404bd65ad825f7c791e463a593f749.jpg

Replacing this spiteful bitch

dd7fa50ec4efb5c1b7c2947a304bb001.jpg

And added this yesterday

e09eff30a45a43169527c79227cc7cde.jpg

On 2/14/2021 at 1:00 PM, Mileslong said:

Did my first swing evaluation ever at Golftec. A week ago. Takes aways, while I center most shots and he said I had great tempo I sometimes close the club face causing hooks and with the driver I had an ugly ass slight over the top sometimes which causes pulls etc.

Then he put my video up next to Colin Morikawa and although I only weigh 190 I look old and fat. Begged him to turn it off..emoji35.png

Did they give you any drills to correct the shit? 

My daughter took a "lesson" at PGA Superstore. All the dude did was point out what she was doing wrong. Yea, not shit. That's why she's taking a lesson.

Her: Chunks it 2 inches behind the ball.

Him: "What did you do?"

Her: "I hit it way behind the ball."

Him:         

Her: thinking.....uhhhh, that's why the fuck I'm here. No what are you going to tell me to correct it?

Him:            

Biggest fucking waste of money ever. All he did was tell her what she already knew she was doing wrong. No drills or tips on how to fix. That's a great golf "instructor".

Did they give you any drills to correct the shit? 
My daughter took a "lesson" at PGA Superstore. All the dude did was point out what she was doing wrong. Yea, not shit. That's why she's taking a lesson.
Her: Chunks it 2 inches behind the ball.
Him: "What did you do?"
Her: "I hit it way behind the ball."
Him:         
Her: thinking.....uhhhh, that's why the fuck I'm here. No what are you going to tell me to correct it?
Him:            

Biggest fucking waste of money ever. All he did was tell her what she already knew she was doing wrong. No drills or tips on how to fix. That's a great golf "instructor".

No and I hate that. It was technically a swing evaluation but not one drill to work on. He did offer me a lesson package for like $5k.

6 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

No and I hate that. It was technically a swing evaluation but not one drill to work on. He did offer me a lesson package for like $5k. emoji35.png

That's paying good money just for someone to tell you that your swing is wonky. I already know my swing sucks, that's why I'm not on tour.

• Like 1

I'm going to be in Lakeway, TX early next month and will have 4-5 days of golf. Don't need super high end, but well maintained, interesting courses...preferably with elevation changes, trees, etc... No problem traveling 45 mins or so radius. Thanks for any help.

PM Derka. Or [mention]longhorn10 [/mention]

2 hours ago, Seneca Tinsley said:

I'm going to be in Lakeway, TX early next month and will have 4-5 days of golf. Don't need super high end, but well maintained, interesting courses...preferably with elevation changes, trees, etc... No problem traveling 45 mins or so radius. Thanks for any help.

Falcon Head is in Lakeway.  Nice public course with a decent amount of elevation change.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
reminds me of the old Mizuno TZoids. what a horrible name.
how do they hit?
63365d-mizuno-t-zoid-pro-forged-individual-8-iron-sensicore-steel-stiff-flex-63365d__68596.1579548623.1280.1280.jpg?c=2&f=1&nofb=1
Finally took them out for a test drive. They hit the same as my Callaway Xforged, except they are 1* weaker so about 3 yds shorter. Pretty negligible to be honest. The turf interaction is much better though, the Miuras cut through like a hot knife through butter.

They punish you for mishits, for sure, but not too bad.

On 3/1/2021 at 7:58 AM, Seneca Tinsley said:

As long as lakecliff has it bunkers redone by then, it’s worth a visit.  So is wolf dancer but it’s a bit of a hike.