Stabbing on South Congress - Four stabbed total, 1 confirmed dead

ConferenceRoom

• ConferenceRoom changed the title to Stabbing on South Congress - Four stabbed total, 1 confirmed dead

I think the guy just committed suicide. My wife works right there she got some of it on film and the guy was being chased by police, climbed up a ladder on the building next to her and push it aside.

Sounds like the altercation might have started at Bennu?

Edited by ZB'Tejas

I think the guy just committed suicide. My wife works right there she got some of it on film and the guy was being chased by police, climbed up a ladder on the building next to her and push it aside.

Sounds like the altercation might have started at Bennu?

Can you share the video?

I'll have to get it from her. Two of her coworkers were in Bennu when it all went down. He said the guy was a real shady looking homeless type either hanging around outside the coffee shop or in the coffee shop. While they were sitting he suddenly came in and went crazy stabbing some people; running off afterwards. They are all being held in there for questioning.

Edited by ZB'Tejas
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, ZB'Tejas said:

I'll have to get it from her. Two of her coworkers were in Bennu when it all went down. He said the guy was a real shady looking homeless type sitting in the coffee shop. While they were sitting he suddenly got up and went crazy; running off afterwards. They are all being held in there for questioning.

Glad your wife (pics?) is okay.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Didn't this happen yesterday?  Those time stamps look like this morning.  They were talking about it on 590 yesterday, some homeless guy went crazy and attacked a bunch of tourists (wasn't a mention of a knife though).  The head of the Police Union called in to discuss. 

Didn't this happen yesterday?  Those time stamps look like this morning.  They were talking about it on 590 yesterday, some homeless guy went crazy and attacked a bunch of tourists (wasn't a mention of a knife though).  The head of the Police Union called in to discuss. 

Separate incidents. Unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy shit.  This is fucking horrible.  Least I can do is go give blood this weekend.  

what the fuck...two homeless guys stab two sets of tourists/commuters on the same bridge 18 hours apart?  One sounded crazy, the other one sounded suicidal.  

Well I'm sure City Council will buy some more over-market real estate somewhere and that should solve this, right?  /noCR 

There was a stabbing on South Congress on Dec 18th too but not sure what that ended up being. Also correction when I said the guy committed suicide... he jumped off the Freebirds, I guess that wasn't tall enough to do the trick.

Edited by ZB'Tejas

3 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

There was a stabbing on South Congress on Dec 18th too but not sure what that ended up being. Also correction when I said the guy committed suicide... he jumped off the Freebirds, I guess that wasn't tall enough to do the trick.

There's a new Skynyrd track in here somewhere.  

12 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Holy shit.  This is fucking horrible.  Least I can do is go give blood this weekend.  

what the fuck...two homeless guys stab two sets of tourists/commuters on the same bridge 18 hours apart?  One sounded crazy, the other one sounded suicidal.  

Well I'm sure City Council will buy some more over-market real estate somewhere and that should solve this, right?  /noCR 

I'm not sure I agree with you 100% on your police work there, Lou. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

True.  Got a doodle poll today from Council's staff today about a bond oversight meeting on 18th or 25th of this month to discuss better allocation of resources.  They're gonna ask for half of my Saturday so we can talk about how we're gonna real estate our way to mental health, but putting these folks inside city-owned buildings-they'll be magically cured.  We are living under an insane regime.  

I'll bet $50 I end up saying something like Seinfeld did when George is posing in the back of the limo and declares they can't get shot in the city, I roll my eyes and say out loud, "Oh yeah, nobody ever got stabbed indoors."  

Edited by Lobo

I'm ordinarily not particularly reactionary, but something really does need to be done about the homeless situation in Austin.

Not only has the number and visibility of homeless skyrocketed over the last 5 years or so, but the number of seemingly deranged homeless is what is concerning.

I work downtown, and between those resembling staggering, lifeless zombies, and those in a state of psychosis screaming at the top of their lungs into the ether it has begun to feel dangerous.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Somnio said:

I'm ordinarily not particularly reactionary, but something really does need to be done about the homeless situation in Austin.

Not only has the number and visibility of homeless skyrocketed over the last 5 years or so, but the number of seemingly deranged homeless is what is concerning.

I work downtown, and between those resembling staggering, lifeless zombies, and those in a state of psychosis screaming at the top of their lungs into the ether it has begun to feel dangerous.

It's a societal problem. Cities can do little to nothing to ameliorate it. It needs to be addressed at the federal and state level. 

• Like 1

Oh, and what really makes it wonderful is the homeless who sleep in the stairwells, loiter in businesses, etc. know APD's response time is about an hour or so when called regarding a homeless person refusing to leave the premises.  They simply refuse to leave, and are hostile with no threat of consequence. It has a feeling of lawlessness.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Somnio said:

Little late to the party.   It already feels dangerous and has for a long time. 

Funny how so many cities have serious problems with homelessness, and yet the typical "solution" is some version of making their existence illegal.

Where exactly are they going to go?

Classic case of missing the forest for the trees.  It's a problem that needs to be solved on a large scale, and nobody wants to do it.  The solution will not be to shuttle them off to some other community.

• Like 3

To be fair to Austin, I've heard some silly solutions including at my commission meetings---but other than a cursory asshole here and there---nobody is really calling for them to be shuttled outside of the city limits.  Some of us just think a real estate solution isn't really a solution but rather a really fun grift that I'd like to partake in.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Funny how so many cities have serious problems with homelessness, and yet the typical "solution" is some version of making their existence illegal.

Classic case of missing the forest for the trees.  It's a problem that needs to be solved on a large scale, and nobody wants to do it.  The solution will not be to shuttle them off to some other community.

It's a little more nuanced than that.  

How about not rolling out a red carpet leading people with mental and substance abuse issues to set up camp a pitching wedge away from party central?  That's also NOT the solution.

It's more about COA throwing gas on a fire than about them offering "solutions".

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 6

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Why not? Give those fuckers $200 and a bus ticket to Portland/SF/wherever. 

Let them go shit on the street and stab people somewhere else.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Why not? Give those fuckers $200 and a bus ticket to Portland/SF/wherever. 

Let them go shit on the street and stab people somewhere else.

Username checks out.

37 minutes ago, Lobo said:

To be fair to Austin, I've heard some silly solutions including at my commission meetings---but other than a cursory asshole here and there---nobody is really calling for them to be shuttled outside of the city limits.  Some of us just think a real estate solution isn't really a solution but rather a really fun grift that I'd like to partake in.

Wait, there's people who actually believe this isn't the case?

Oh my 

1 hour ago, Cajun said:

It's a little more nuanced than that.  

How about not rolling out a red carpet leading people with mental and substance abuse issues to set up camp a pitching wedge away from party central?  That's also NOT the solution.

It's more about COA throwing gas on a fire than about them offering "solutions".

^this. You don’t have to expect them to change, but don’t support, indulge, or otherwise encourage their lifestyle. Go to a shelter, seek drug/crazy treatment, go ask your father’s forgiveness, move along, whatever. Don’t set up a couch, tent, bbq at 6th and Red River then stab Chipotle employees you death. Nobody deserves that, no matter how many people they’ve infected with fecal bacteria after not washing their hands and returning to work. Society is breaking down on so many levels. 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

^this. You don’t have to expect them to change, but don’t support, indulge, or otherwise encourage their lifestyle. Go to a shelter, seek drug/crazy treatment, go ask your father’s forgiveness, move along, whatever. Don’t set up a couch, tent, bbq at 6th and Red River then stab Chipotle employees you death. Nobody deserves that, no matter how many people they’ve infected with fecal bacteria after not washing their hands and returning to work. Society is breaking down on so many levels. 

Why would anyone in their right mind eat at Chipotle's? You have to think that the employees know "Hey I work at Chipotle's. This guy who I am about to serve will soon have the shits and is eating here on his own volition. He might not be right in the mind". JFC, it is not that difficult folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5043510

tenor.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/dec/20/bussed-out-america-moves-homeless-people-country-study

oh and the this one...

ATLANTA - Local officials want to help rid the city of crime and homeless people before the Olympics with stricter loitering laws and one-way bus tickets out of town.

Fulton County is paying the bill for one-way bus tickets for the homeless as long as the recipient promises never to return and can prove he has a family or job waiting at his destination, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported yesterday.

Advocates for the homeless say Project Homeward Bound, funded by a county grant, proves Atlanta's hospitality does not extend to everyone.

"They have you sign a statement that you won't return," said Robert Farrell, president of the Atlanta Union of the Homeless.

Mitch Skandalakis, chairman of the Fulton County Commission, said he had never heard of the grant or the program.

Project director Willie Chappell said the program is aimed at eliminating homeless people from "continuing to be a drain on the social service agencies in Fulton County."

Chappell said hundreds of people have been sent home under the program, which he said started in 1994 but was revised in February to add the no-return provision.

This shit is ridiculous. If you're not going to treat their addiction and /or mental illness, and if you're not going to tell them to get fucked, and if you're going to change your laws to give their hobo lifestyle more leeway, you're basically just wilfully inviting this shit into your city. 

Why are they withholding the name of the suspect? 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, TornACL said:

This shit is ridiculous. If you're not going to treat their addiction and /or mental illness, and if you're not going to tell them to get fucked, and if you're going to change your laws to give their hobo lifestyle more leeway, you're basically just wilfully inviting this shit into your city. 

Why are they withholding the name of the alleged suspect? 

Fify