Stabbing on South Congress - Four stabbed total, 1 confirmed dead

ConferenceRoom

7 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The "cloak room" segregation of this website is silly.  

No, it's outright absurd.

Some topics demand broad participation . . . honestly, I wish all were granted that exposure.  But no, we have to worry about the snowflakes, which is so fucking ironic I don't even know where to start.

Only someone who posts is the cloak room, and likes it, would post something this insane.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

What’s the primary cause of mass violence, Cajun? Who are these healthy and very well adjusted mass stabbers and homeless people? Are the police really going too easy on folks in Austin?

Don’t play stupid, I know you aren’t.

Neither are you, but painting ATX’s homeless situation as being just like every other big city in TX is beyond ludicrous from the vantage point of how COA has completely fucked this up at the very single turn and from the experience out in the streets relative to said other cities.  If you deny that then it is you who are playing stupid.

Beyond that, I say no more in this thread.

I feel BlackLab’s breath on our necks as I type this.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The "cloak room" segregation of this website is silly.  

No, it's outright absurd.

Some topics demand broad participation . . . honestly, I wish all were granted that exposure.  But no, we have to worry about the snowflakes, which is so fucking ironic I don't even know where to start.

I honestly don’t care aside from just wanting not to get put in timeout or get the ban-hammer.

Just wanna be in compliance, you know, here in Brainerd?

• Like 1

Neither are you, but painting ATX’s homeless situation as being just like every other big city in TX is beyond ludicrous from the vantage point of how COA has completely fucked this up at the very single turn and from the experience out in the streets relative to said other cities.  If you deny that then it is you who are playing stupid.

Beyond that, I say no more in this thread.

I feel BlackLab’s breath on our necks as I type this.

Allow me to get VERY non CR then- Austin’s only unique city policy problem with regards to homeless policy is a zoning code that prevents the creation of shelter.

They didn’t manage the end of the camping ban well (I’ve said what I think they should do), but other than our absurd zoning challenges the city government doesn’t do a much worse job than anybody, and does a couple of things better than almost anybody, like managing veteran homelessness.

People saying otherwise either

1) Don’t really know the issue or

2) are out barking a self-serving political fantasy.

Not that people in Austin care. Apparently many would prefer to wish them away or better yet force them back into the woods. That’s what this is about, I think. The view.

29 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Deliberate posting of political topics in DT with the intent of gotcha bullshit.

Ahem.  

No, they really are.  Cities and counties that aren’t on the full blown leftist pipedream are literally sending their homeless to locations that have shown the proclivity to kids glove them.  I’ve been in Orlando, Portland, Seattle, Salt Lake City, Atlanta, Austin, Dallas, Chicago and Phoenix in the last 3 months.

Take a stab at which cities have the EXTREMELY visible homeless problems.

• Like 1

Dallas has plenty of homeless people. But, unless you go to Parkland or roll down your window at one of the intersections on 35 south of LBJ you aren't going to see them. 

Can't see them except right there with their cardboard sign? No big deal. I can stay insulated in my vehicle and ignore them while I look at my phone. 

Just busting your balls.   By your standards the whole city council thread should be in CR.  Since you can rail on libs in it and it’s fine.  But the minute anyone uses the word “conservative” in a way that clinches your vaginatic sensibilities, you cry to the moderators and neg like a victorian princess with the vapors.   But you be you.  

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Just busting your balls.   By your standards the whole city council thread should be in CR.  Since you can rail on libs in it and it’s fine.  But the minute anyone uses the word “conservative” in a way that clinches your vaginatic sensibilities, you cry to the moderators and neg like a victorian princess with the vapors.   But you be you.  

Ummm...what?

I’ve neg’d maybe 20 times in the history of this site.  

The city council is a political body so, fuck yeah it should be in CR.

11 minutes ago, Little Steven said:

audrey hepburn flirting GIFSpicy?

Oh, no.  This waaaaay post Spicy.  Let’s just say Spicy does not order the salad.

She wishes she looked like this special lady friend.

I’ll just leave it at that.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

Well Mayor Adler's response to this was very refreshing.  "You can't say this crime was committed by a homeless person.  That's like saying all immigrants are rapists."  

Yep, that's his logic.  That's how he thinks our rather rational concerns are unjustified in his eyes.  

7 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Well Mayor Adler's response to this was very refreshing.  "You can't say this crime was committed by a homeless person.  That's like saying all immigrants are rapists."  

Yep, that's his logic.  That's how he thinks our rather rational concerns are unjustified in his eyes.  

It’s not just him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

See, this is what I don't understand.  I'm not an unkind person.  I have sympathy for the homeless.  I believe the problem needs to be approached from a higher level than municipal.  BUT, crime is crime.  I don't get the willful "look the other way" aspect of all this.  I'm not insensitive to the fact that mental illness might render a person unable to discern the illegality of their behavior.  At the same time, I don't understand why law enforcement looks the other way while actively seeking out pot dealers to put in jail.  If you commit a crime, and you are caught,  you need to go through the system.  If one path through that system is to treat the mentally ill, so be it, but ignoring the crime is the wrong way to go.  So is a refusal to address the illness/addiction issue.

It's small fry as a crime, but nevertheless against the law, how some of these people foul the city with their garbage. 

I was just riding my bike tonight over a bridge across White Oak Bayou. One of the banks is wooded, and a platoon of stoplight gotta dolla sign- holders have a little nest in there. About 100 sq.-ft. ankle deep in garbage. (I've seen the same thing at some bus stops -- sometimes a few of them will take up residence at one and in just a few days, render it completely unusable for working poors or anybody else.)

Another time I saw a bridge dweller empty sack after sack of garbage into the bayou. All of that shit winds up in the bay and eventually the ocean. 

In the latter case, I presume somebody gave him garbage bags in the hopes that he would keep his residence clean, and I guess he did, until the sacks were full. 

If I were a king, I would jail the vagrants responsible on weekends a few times a year and have them picking up litter while in custody.

10 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

It's small fry as a crime, but nevertheless against the law, how some of these people foul the city with their garbage. 

I was just riding my bike tonight over a bridge across White Oak Bayou. One of the banks is wooded, and a platoon of stoplight gotta dolla sign- holders have a little nest in there. About 100 sq.-ft. ankle deep in garbage. (I've seen the same thing at some bus stops -- sometimes a few of them will take up residence at one and in just a few days, render it completely unusable for working poors or anybody else.)

Another time I saw a bridge dweller empty sack after sack of garbage into the bayou. All of that shit winds up in the bay and eventually the ocean. 

In the latter case, I presume somebody gave him garbage bags in the hopes that he would keep his residence clean, and I guess he did, until the sacks were full. 

If I were a king, I would jail the vagrants responsible on weekends a few times a year and have them picking up litter while in custody.

Which makes exponentially galling when the local storm water authorities crawl up your ass because a 5’ x 5’ piece of dirt isn’t covered in hay during storm season on a construction site.

• Like 1

Impossible- I learned on Surly that only Austin has a visible homeless population.

12 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Ummm...what?

I’ve neg’d maybe 20 times in the history of this site.  

The city council is a political body so, fuck yeah it should be in CR.

It was actually immortal13 that negged bozo.   I think we all agree our city government is a steaming pile of shit, but this whole topic can’t be addressed without a political solution at the state and federal level.  Particularly the mental health aspect.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

You left out “we need to double our budget for the homeless”

11 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

That's not so dissimilar from how they used to deal with vagrancy not so long ago.  I know it's extremely un-PC, but I think we need to bring back some of the old, unenlightened ways.  Maybe, just maybe they knew what the hell they were doing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Somnio said:

That's not so dissimilar from how they used to deal with vagrancy not so long ago.  I know it's extremely un-PC, but I think we need to bring back some of the old, unenlightened ways.  Maybe, just maybe they knew what the hell they were doing.

It’s all been done before.

Unfortunately humans have to learn the same lessons over and over.

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It’s a good question. Austin is exactly like every other city in Texas. The police and the Sherrif’s dept stand in the gap between the mentally ill and the “mental health system”.

It’s funny that conservatives often have a hard time with this, because it’s the same thing they often correctly point to with mass violence: law enforcement is the primary intake mechanism for mental healthcare in our state. In literally every single big city in Texas, the county jail is by far the biggest mental healthcare provider, and Austin is no exception.

So back to your question- when the cops and Sherrif see someone In crisis they have to ask themselves a number of questions because their highest priority job is law enforcement, not mental health intake. Also, doing intake ties up scarce and expensive resources, so it’s not as though they are encouraged to help.

So usually the way it plays out is the same way it plays out with people who aren’t homeless: unless they are an imminent danger to themselves or others, the police will overlook the little things.

The thing on South Congress is just like what I always say on the mass shooting threads: this is our system working as designed.

If the usual bitchasses on surly and the governor of our state want to ignore the problem and blame the city, they can, but that’s like blaming guns and video games for a mass shooting.

Well the county jail seems like a logical place to start. When a mentally ill person crosses the line and loses control of their capacities and commits a crime, that seems like a good time to step in and help. 

California is finally trying to get some logical thought into the process. They are trying to pass a “conservator” program where a mentally ill person who is arrested EIGHT times in a year would be appointed a “conservator” to basically force them to use the resources available, because they realize at this point they don’t have the capacity to help themselves. 

of course it is being bitterly fought by the ACLU and every other worthless group that has outlived their usefulness who portray this as kidnapping. These groups stay in business because of problems, not solutions. Solutions close their doors closed. 

Having mental health resources at the local jails seems like a logical allocation of resources and a good way to identify those in danger to themselves and others. 

Mental Health Shelters with locks on the doors and doctors on staff.  

Edited by ChickenSandwich

53 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Well the county jail seems like a logical place to start. When a mentally ill person crosses the line and loses control of their capacities and commits a crime, that seems like a good time to step in and help. 

California is finally trying to get some logical thought into the process. They are trying to pass a “conservator” program where a mentally ill person who is arrested EIGHT times in a year would be appointed a “conservator” to basically force them to use the resources available, because they realize at this point they don’t have the capacity to help themselves. 

of course it is being bitterly fought by the ACLU and every other worthless group that has outlived their usefulness who portray this as kidnapping. These groups stay in business because of problems, not solutions. Solutions close their doors closed. 

Having mental health resources at the local jails seems like a logical allocation of resources and a good way to identify those in danger to themselves and others. 

Mental Health Shelters with locks on the doors and doctors on staff.  

I was reading an article a year or two ago about how the Harris County Jail was the area's largest mental health facility and how tragic that was and how something should be done about it.

I found that article and Newspapers.com and it was from 1912, I think. Somewhere around in there.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It was actually immortal13 that negged bozo.   I think we all agree our city government is a steaming pile of shit, but this whole topic can’t be addressed without a political solution at the state and federal level.  Particularly the mental health aspect.

I don't think this is widely agreed upon at all.

Lots of silent supporters abound.

• Like 1

The truth is simply this: SJWs love to paint certain causes and people with a broad brush. They just don’t want the people and causes they support to be painted with that same brush. Truth. Fuck off. 
Same for the other side. 
everyone should be looking at this on a case by case basis but they don’t and never will. 

Edited by Nicole44
I’m a dumbass

I’m in full San Fran mentality whenever I’m in Austin now. Anytime I see one of those homeless pieces of filth I assume that they’re on drugs or insane, or both, and that they’re about to attack me. Ready for a fight at all times. 

You sound like you don’t get out much. Probably for the best.
  • Like 1