Stabbing on South Congress - Four stabbed total, 1 confirmed dead

ConferenceRoom

so according to the news report (always questionable these days of course) the police were trying to detain the guy and he got away and ran towards Freebirds

then 30 minutes later there was another 911 call that he was getting his stab on in Freebirds......where in the fuck were the cops and after the guy broke free did they just watch him run off and say "ali ali he got free well I guess he wins" and then just leave

they did not chase him to Freebirds?

and the answer with this guy would have been to cover his ass in a urine and feces covered blanket after he jumped off the roof and let him know that they are granting his wish to be left alone and to live apart from civil society.....instead they wasted resources with the amber lamps, hospital, and probably soon the "mental health system" after they waste time in the courts declaring he is too crazy to get a good hanging for the murder

29 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

so according to the news report (always questionable these days of course) the police were trying to detain the guy and he got away and ran towards Freebirds

then 30 minutes later there was another 911 call that he was getting his stab on in Freebirds......where in the fuck were the cops and after the guy broke free did they just watch him run off and say "ali ali he got free well I guess he wins" and then just leave

I hope I am incorrect, but I am starting to wonder if APD is staying  as hands off as possible regarding complaints about the homeless.

Ridiculously long response times, and not chasing perps after violent attacks does not seem like they're doing their jobs to protect and serve.

Certainly there wouldn't be official policy for shirking their duty, but I wonder if this could be a similar situation to where cops allegedly don't patrol or respond to calls in certain extremely high crime neighborhoods in some cities.

The police just say fuck em,  I'm not dealing with that shit.

Hopefully that's not the case, and there are valid reasons for hour long response times, and not pursuing violent attackers.

Someone PM'd me and said this was the perfect Austin story. For a second I thought this was true, but then I realized there was no mention of tents or Warehime or 183. So, I decided to write a second verse.

He was drunk when APD walked by him as he left his tent and passed along his way. He was drunk as he entered Freebirds and laid a Warehime to clog all the drains. He was drunk when he became a little stabby. And Addler said that was just his way. Too bad Art wasn't here to stop him and bring him back under the 183 freeway. Now that he has taken one last leap, its back to complaining about construction and the damn tollway.

Edited by Bevo
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Somnio said:

I hope I am incorrect, but I am starting to wonder if APD is staying  as hands off as possible regarding complaints about the homeless.

Ridiculously long response times, and not chasing perps after violent attacks does not seem like they're doing their jobs to protect and serve.

Certainly there wouldn't be official policy for shirking their duty, but I wonder if this could be a similar situation to where cops allegedly don't patrol or respond to calls in certain extremely high crime neighborhoods in some cities.

Hopefully that's not the case, and there are valid reasons for hour long response times, and not pursuing violent attackers.

IIRC, last summer APD was basically told by the city council to lay off the homeless except for serious criminality.

Maybe I am wrong.

29 minutes ago, Somnio said:

You're not wrong.

APD has been warned by COA not to hold homeless accountable.

12 hours ago, Cajun said:

It's a little more nuanced than that.  

How about not rolling out a red carpet leading people with mental and substance abuse issues to set up camp a pitching wedge away from party central?  That's also NOT the solution.

It's more about COA throwing gas on a fire than about them offering "solutions".

Nowhere did I suggest that everything COA has done to deal with this issue makes sense.  In fact, that's part of my point -- the true solution will need to be much more comprehensive than less restrictive camping regulations and tiny housing enclaves that will not scale sufficiently to deal with the actual problem.

Edited by jimmyjazz
Bad speler
  • Like 1

Just now, jimmyjazz said:

Or, to put it another way, while "lack of a home" is certainly one key feature of homelessness, solving that problem in a vacuum doesn't address the root cause of most people's homelessness.

Another key feature is the desire to be homeless without any intention of changing irrespective of what "solution" gets trotted by.

There's a significant number of homeless in ATX who fit this bill.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Another key feature is the desire to be homeless without any intention of changing irrespective of what "solution" gets trotted by.

There's a significant number of homeless in ATX who fit this bill.

Well, that's probably a discussion for a different thread (and forum), but I'm pretty sure it doesn't describe the majority of homeless people.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

I had to read over half the article before learning that someone lost their life. I think that was probably worthy of inclusion in the title

”assault” seems a bit soft

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

I had to read over half the article before learning that someone lost their life. I think that was probably worthy of inclusion in the title

”assault” seems a bit soft

Yeah, the linked article was shit, talk about burying the lede. 8 graphs before you get to the part where an employee was killed? 

The missing 30 minutes between Shoeless Joe Crapson running from the coffee shop to Freebirds is indeed curious, but may be just more shitty reporting from the KTBC folks.

5 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

where in the fuck were the cops and after the guy broke free did they just watch him run off and say "ali ali he got free well I guess he wins" and then just leave

All the Austin cops did say,

"We could've had him any day

We only let him slip away,

Out of kindness, I suppose."

• Like 6

I wonder is people will blame the APD they way they blamed the cop from up north of Austin that gave the Hurka Weiser killer a ride to Austin

you know a guy that had not been reported missing at the time, that was not doing any crime and that the cop gave a ride to because he expressed a desire to get to Austin....and that did not kill her until days later

10 hours ago, RollLeft said:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-interactive/2017/dec/20/bussed-out-america-moves-homeless-people-country-study

oh and the this one...

ATLANTA - Local officials want to help rid the city of crime and homeless people before the Olympics with stricter loitering laws and one-way bus tickets out of town.

Fulton County is paying the bill for one-way bus tickets for the homeless as long as the recipient promises never to return and can prove he has a family or job waiting at his destination, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported yesterday.

Advocates for the homeless say Project Homeward Bound, funded by a county grant, proves Atlanta's hospitality does not extend to everyone.

"They have you sign a statement that you won't return," said Robert Farrell, president of the Atlanta Union of the Homeless.

Mitch Skandalakis, chairman of the Fulton County Commission, said he had never heard of the grant or the program.

Project director Willie Chappell said the program is aimed at eliminating homeless people from "continuing to be a drain on the social service agencies in Fulton County."

Chappell said hundreds of people have been sent home under the program, which he said started in 1994 but was revised in February to add the no-return provision.

Mitch Skandalakis is a pretty badass  name for someone overseeing homeless shipments

7 hours ago, ButtFumble said:

and the answer with this guy would have been to cover his ass in a urine and feces covered blanket after he jumped off the roof and let him know that they are granting his wish to be left alone and to live apart from civil society.....instead they wasted resources with the amber lamps, hospital, and probably soon the "mental health system" after they waste time in the courts declaring he is too crazy to get a good hanging for the murder

They lost him when he went into Freebirds and camouflaged himself in a tortilla blanket.

16396017_619.jpeg

I actually had some homeless dude start getting really pushy wanting a beer from the 12 pack I bought from my neighborhood convenience store two days ago. He kept following me and finally started bumping up against me as I was trying to get in my car. Ended quickly when I flipped open my Benchmade from my pocket. I really thought I was going to have to stab someone. Austin needs to put these fuckers in check.

• Like 1

Took my special lady friend to Truluck's for her birthday the other night.  Afterward, waiting for the valet to get our wheels a homeless guy came up and started pestering one of the dude's running the car-getter desk.  You could tell all the valets were annoyed the minute he showded up and it wasn't the first time.

In the end the guy didn't get what he wanted so he put an empty dixie cup into one of those propane heater rigs you see outside so many restaurants downtown and ran off.  Caught fire, knocked it over, ran off screaming some unitelligble shit.

I look at the valet guy who'd just brought our car around and he just simply shakes his head slowly and says, "Every fuckin' night man".

Some of these fucks really just need to be dealt with.  And not kindly.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Took my special lady friend to Truluck's for her birthday the other night.  Afterward, waiting for the valet to get our wheels a homeless guy came up and started pestering one of the dude's running the car-getter desk.  You could tell all the valets were annoyed the minute he showded up and it wasn't the first time.

In the end the guy didn't get what he wanted so he put an empty dixie cup into one of those propane heater rigs you see outside so many restaurants downtown and ran off.  Caught fire, knocked it over, ran off screaming some unitelligble shit.

I look at the valet guy who'd just brought our car around and he just simply shakes his head slowly and says, "Every fuckin' night man".

Cool story. Pics of girlfriend would help.

2 hours ago, Cajun said:

See, this is what I don't understand.  I'm not an unkind person.  I have sympathy for the homeless.  I believe the problem needs to be approached from a higher level than municipal.  BUT, crime is crime.  I don't get the willful "look the other way" aspect of all this.  I'm not insensitive to the fact that mental illness might render a person unable to discern the illegality of their behavior.  At the same time, I don't understand why law enforcement looks the other way while actively seeking out pot dealers to put in jail.  If you commit a crime, and you are caught,  you need to go through the system.  If one path through that system is to treat the mentally ill, so be it, but ignoring the crime is the wrong way to go.  So is a refusal to address the illness/addiction issue.

• Like 5

See, this is what I don't understand.  I'm not an unkind person.  I have sympathy for the homeless.  I believe the problem needs to be approached from a higher level than municipal.  BUT, crime is crime.  I don't get the willful "look the other way" aspect of all this.  I'm not insensitive to the fact that mental illness might render a person unable to discern the illegality of their behavior.  At the same time, I don't understand why law enforcement looks the other way while actively seeking out pot dealers to put in jail.  If you commit a crime, and you are caught,  you need to go through the system.  If one path through that system is to treat the mentally ill, so be it, but ignoring the crime is the wrong way to go.  So is a refusal to address the illness/addiction issue.

It’s a good question. Austin is exactly like every other city in Texas. The police and the Sherrif’s dept stand in the gap between the mentally ill and the “mental health system”.

It’s funny that conservatives often have a hard time with this, because it’s the same thing they often correctly point to with mass violence: law enforcement is the primary intake mechanism for mental healthcare in our state. In literally every single big city in Texas, the county jail is by far the biggest mental healthcare provider, and Austin is no exception.

So back to your question- when the cops and Sherrif see someone In crisis they have to ask themselves a number of questions because their highest priority job is law enforcement, not mental health intake. Also, doing intake ties up scarce and expensive resources, so it’s not as though they are encouraged to help.

So usually the way it plays out is the same way it plays out with people who aren’t homeless: unless they are an imminent danger to themselves or others, the police will overlook the little things.

The thing on South Congress is just like what I always say on the mass shooting threads: this is our system working as designed.

If the usual bitchasses on surly and the governor of our state want to ignore the problem and blame the city, they can, but that’s like blaming guns and video games for a mass shooting.

• Like 3

That’s not a cloakroom post. That’s a “I care about mentally ill people and don’t care about your feelings” post. I’d say the same thing to a gun grabber. One of the ways political party and ideological identity makes people stupid is that they turn their brain off.

I’m just noting that a lot of people on this board who have a clear understanding of why gun violence happens seem to suspend thinking when something like this happens or somebody winds up living in the woods talking to the devil. It’s pretty much the same problem.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

The "cloak room" segregation of this website is silly.  

No, it's outright absurd.

Some topics demand broad participation . . . honestly, I wish all were granted that exposure.  But no, we have to worry about the snowflakes, which is so fucking ironic I don't even know where to start.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The "cloak room" segregation of this website is silly.  

No, it's outright absurd.

Some topics demand broad participation . . . honestly, I wish all were granted that exposure.  But no, we have to worry about the snowflakes, which is so fucking ironic I don't even know where to start.

Lmao