Stabbing on South Congress - Four stabbed total, 1 confirmed dead

ConferenceRoom

Obviously the criminal history rap sheet would be cut in half if the city bought him a 2/1.   I could get him down to criminal mischief and maybe some parking tickets if you’re willing to throw in a study and maybe a carport

How are the major causes of this different from a mass shooting or stabbing committed by a person who isn’t homeless? And what role did city government play?

I’m sure you have a totally coherent and make-sensicle answer.

18 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

You sound like you don’t get out much. Probably for the best.

*Anecdote alert* I've traveled in the US enough to know the breed of homeless to be weary of. I'm from the RGV where there are very few homeless people, so I've always found it fascinating to see the difference depending on the cities around the country. Portland has extreme numbers of homeless, but most of them are zombied out all of the time and are generally harmless. There's kind of a lot in Manhattan, but in my experience they aren't all that aggressive, because the large number of pedestrians means they have ample opportunity to get a handout. Mostly harmless. I had one particularly rough encounter with a beggar in DC, but I don't think he was actually homeless. Other than him I didn't have much of a problem. I currently live in San Antonio, we have a growing homeless population but it's not out of control yet. The homeless here know their place and generally aren't aggressive.

The worst homeless population I've ever seen is in San Fran. Seemingly most of them were just super angry, bitter people. A lot of them go for the intimidation factor to get handouts. Aggressive approaches, demanding money instead of asking, and then cussing you out when you say no or you don't have anything. I was almost jumped by two homeless dudes there before an alpha hobo told them to leave me alone (helped me realize that not all or even most of them are bad). I notice the Austin breed of homeless people quickly becoming the San Fran type. While the majority of them don't mean any real harm, there's a growing number that do. 

I’m in San Francisco once a month, mostly the financial district and the tenderloin.

We don’t have anything like that in Austin. My daughter works on East 6th, we go to church basically next door to the ARCH, and my wife runs an emergency cold weather shelter (as a volunteer). We are around the permanent homeless population a lot and I just don’t see the similarity to the SF or LA situation.

It’s a different planet, mainly because of the weather.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I haven't spent any significant time in San Francisco -- what are the differences in the homeless populations between that city and Austin?

The Austin homeless don't get to hear the killer guitar licks coming from AUTF's apartment?

Edited by Deej

Chief Manley:  The duty belt.  It was awful how he came undone.

Oh no, Howie was a rock  Buddy came undone.

And he bailed out?  No.  Andy went to  pieces.  

Howie survived?  

Related note:

Since cops have tried acting like professional military for decades, why haven’t the police departments required a minimal standard for physical fitness in their street  patrol personnel? They have to know that obese uniformed officers are not a good look to the citizenry.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Related note:

Since cops have tried acting like professional military for decades, why haven’t the police departments required a minimal standard for physical fitness in their street  patrol personnel? They have to know that obese uniformed officers are not a good look to the citizenry.  

Because those old fat asses make the rules.

Well Mayor Adler's response to this was very refreshing.  "You can't say this crime was committed by a homeless person.  That's like saying all immigrants are rapists."  

Yep, that's his logic.  That's how he thinks our rather rational concerns are unjustified in his eyes.  

“You can’t say that Nazis ran those camps. That’s like saying all Italians....

Wait, wait, wait... Fuck it! I’m confused.