Hose won’t connect to outside faucet

Moved into this house last summer. House has four outside spigots. Three connect to hoses just fine. This one won’t. Are these pipe threads? I’ve tried a couple of over the counter adapters from Home Depot with no luck. Trying to avoid the expense of replacing the thing entirely. Thoughts here? Previous owners probably had something hooked up here but it’s not there anymore.

f0c907d111fbb8996bdc7ec432a0fbee.jpg1d3ead42da88a7166ced20f9d3bb3c56.jpg

Tasks like this one suck. Someone made a stupid decision years ago that cause on-going problems. If standard adapters aren't working I would agree you should swap it out. plenty of videos on youtube to walk you through it.   If you're renting the place, I wouldn't worry about it. Buy a longer hose to use with one of the other spigots.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie

Get your husband to try

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

First reply. Surly's still got it.

Tasks like this one suck. Someone made a stupid decision years ago that cause on-going problems. If standard adapters aren't working I would agree you should swap it out. plenty of videos on youtube to walk you through it.   If you're renting the place, I wouldn't worry about it. Buy a longer hose to use with one of the other spigots.

If you don't mind it being ugly, you could do a redneck adapter. Glob the correct fitting on win solder or silicone.

41 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

The expense of replacing it is a trip to Lowe's, about $20 (for a fancy one), and less than an hour of your time.

Are you sure? I think replacing an outdoor faucet depends on how it's attached. I had some in my old house that were directly soldered onto the Brass pipe therefore to change out would include draining the whole water supply in order to cut it off and put a new one on.

3 hours ago, Buffsoldier said:

My thoughts exactly.  Try tapping it a few times on the side of the faucet before connecting.

reminds me of a joke from when I was a kid

Bum Phillips was having a hard time getting it up so he ask Earl for some advice and Earl said that is easy just knock your dick against the wall three times right before you are ready

so that night Bum was ready to get with the wife and he turned out the lights and knocked his dick against the wall 3 times and his wife said "Earl is that you?"

As was said thread is too fine for a hose, great call on the adapter Lou.

I will say that on the house I flipped the one thing I did not do was replace an outside spigot that I should have.  It had a hose screwed on that had basically welded itself onto the threads with corrosion.  I did a hillbilly fix with a hose repair kit and never go around to getting out the torch and trying to bust it loose.  Main reason I didn't try too hard is the folks that plumbed the place were not that great on securing the stub outs and I was very afraid I was going to just have to start digging into the wall...