Silicon Valley season 5 hbo

Bogeywon

48 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Part of the humor (for me) was that it was a refrain in the episode. I enjoyed the premeire and like SV for what it is and has become-- but I can also appreciate those who see SV as a wasted opportunity to be better/more epic based off the first few seasons.

At this point, everyone knows what the score is, to keep watching it and expecting it to be different is that ole definition of insanity and, well, that's on you guys.

A "refrain?"  In comedies, this "refrain" as you call it is typically called a "joke."  I guess it could feel like a "refrain" if the rest of the episode is unfunny and awful.

The joke writing has gotten so bad.  Last joke of the show is a good example.  "Ha-ha!  It's funny because he thought he was puking in the privacy of his office with glass walls, five steps away from the gathered crowd!"  And that doesn't take into account how weird and false the whole scene felt, because after manipulating and sabotaging a company, suddenly some version of babbling, bumbling Season 1 Richard shows up because he's needed to make a bad joke work.

This shit barely meets the standards of a made-for-middle-America network sitcom. A random episode of Big Bang Theory probably has better joke writing.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Like 2

oh man, i had totally forgotten about the laurie pregnancy "jokes".  i guess it got lost in all the other filler dialogue.

what i think i missed is that silicon valley decided after season 3 to be a terrible, unfunny sitcom.  if i had known this, my expectations would be tempered.  like watching an aging athlete or a rock band in their 70's - apparently it's just nature.

i'm really glad veep decided to still be hilarious.  

22 hours ago, Michael Knight said:

better than some of the shit episodes last season, and being erlichless helps

I, for one, found great humor in Bachman mansplaining the concept of "mansplaining."

It's up to Jian Yang to bring the comedy lulz this season.

18 hours ago, KaiserSoze said:

Underwhelming and at best solidly average.

Pretty much. Laid out the groundwork for the meat of the season (box vs new internet), with some side action with jin yang trying to forge erlichs death to get his house/piper shares. Nothing really hysterical, but typical shit. Hopefully the slow start builds up, because if this was the bar for the season then they’re about done with it. 

It looked Richard was growing as a character with the revenge storyline. He was like a budding Gavin Belson but then he reverted back to socially awkward Richard at the end. The characters need to grow as well as Pied Piper.

They should have gone the Vice Principals route, hard af for just a couple seasons, then bye felicia.  Now it feels like its from the dept of the dept of redundancy.  

All that being said, I'll still watch it, but it will be while answering emails, browsing Surly etc....

46 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

they need to kill off richard or return back to season 1 richard. he's completely unlikable 

yeah, nervous and neurotic worked better with the plot.  aggressive and vindictive, yet utterly hopeless in every social or professional setting is tough to watch and impossible to root for.  he doesn't even seem to be good at whatever he's supposed to be good at anymore.

On 3/26/2018 at 8:39 PM, bernorange said:

It's shitty.  Gilfoyle/Dinesh and Jinyang are the only interesting characters.  Richard/Gavin/whoever range from boring to nails on a chalkboard terrible.

Yep.  The strength is in the sidecast.

If this were the first season I would quit watching at this point. That was not quality programming.

These can't be the same writers that were in on the creation of the show. They had to have been replaced by the staff from Alf or Who's The Boss or some other bad 80s sitcom. This isn't the same show, except for the name and faces.

2 hours ago, DougO said:

If this were the first season I would quit watching at this point. That was not quality programming.

These can't be the same writers that were in on the creation of the show. They had to have been replaced by the staff from Alf or Who's The Boss or some other bad 80s sitcom. This isn't the same show, except for the name and faces.

Pretty, pretty shitty.

38 minutes ago, DougO said:

The sloppy fat guy they axed may be a douchebag in real life, but it seems he was right about the direction of the show.

This is exactly what I've been thinking all season.  He came off as an ass with the way he left, but his premise that the show and writing were heading in a shit direction has pretty much been validated.

I can't ever recall a show starting as strong and fizzling as fast. 

On 3/26/2018 at 10:13 PM, TexasMan said:

FUDVwrL.gif

I liked the dig at Juicero in the upper-right corner.  Their VC ruse has now been officially placed into the course materials at the McCombs School of Business.  A number of other B-schools are embracing their story as a cautionary tale.  They're pariahs in Silicon Valley now.  If they had pulled that shit in any midwestern/east coast city...their C-level people would have had their organs squeezed out of their rectums like so many smart-Juicero packets.  

Season premiere started out on solid footing.  But I suspect we are in the beginning of the end of this show which was, at its peak, the funniest show on cable (IMO, it was a hint ahead of Veep for a season at least).  Judge is one to kinda announce when something is over, so I'm guessing they let him run one more season after this one.  Either way, it sucks because Veep is for sure in its last season.  And there's really nothing funny out there on HBO, IMO.  Barry is great so far, but not really a comedy (though I enjoy the dark humor).  Curb will be back for one more season, but it could be 1-2 years before it's finished and released.  

the dick joke was the first joke of the episode.
i'm not saying it was the first time i laughed or the first good joke, i'm saying i'm pretty sure it was the first actual joke.
the telegraphed car crash was funny?  really?
It was more the noise gilfoyles pos made as he drove down the bike path.