Silicon Valley season 5 hbo

Bogeywon

10 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

"You've finally gotten your rightful position in the handicapped spot" or whatever that line was, was the most fire line in two seasons. Gilfoyle was snapping this episode, dude.

Yeah that was a rare funny moment.  The Dinesh/Gifloyle stuff will always be funny

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PilotsError said:

Yeah that was a rare funny moment.  The Dinesh/Gifloyle stuff will always be funny

I don't share that opinion. It seems like it's getting more and more unfunny, more dumbed down, less interesting. They need to stretch out into new areas of potential quirky comedic territory.

This is exactly what I've been thinking all season.  He came off as an ass with the way he left, but his premise that the show and writing were heading in a shit direction has pretty much been validated.

I can't ever recall a show starting as strong and fizzling as fast. 

Weeds, Homeland, pretty much every Showtime show. True Detective

there is a fundamental issue with the way episodes are being constructed, and that begins with the showrunner and the writers room.  unable to create any type of combination of fun/funny/plot, they've turned to backwards convoluted storytelling.  let me explain...

they needed to have the fridge story leak.  instead of it happening organically, they create some sidestory where dinesh, fresh off buying a tesla, cannot afford rent on a one bedroom.  he wasn't trying to buy, just rent, but apparently has so little money left, that he has to move in with a coder (all of whom seem to be just fine and live on their own).  so they create this silly storyline just to get him in the apartment with the mole.  the mole, who incidentally seemed pissed about it at first.  wouldn't he be encouraging this?  wouldn't it help him gather info for gavin?  then they double down by making him some light weight who can't drink.  that's fine, it was a lot of vodka i guess.

then they need to make richard question what to do about the lawsuit.  even going as far as having him consider throwing his friend under the bus.  richard is shitty for numerous reasons, but he seems pretty loyal to his friends.  so what do they do?  they start planting seeds about gilfoyle being a shitty employee - something he's never ever shown to be before.  in fact, through the years, he seems to live at his coding terminal, and do a great job (something dinesh even admitted last night).  he's gone above and beyond building anton, breaking through the walls, etc.  but no, let's show him missing meetings and being disruptive in the office so that richard considers taking the advice of the coo dude about severing ties.

i have no problem with them deciding to create and conclude individual stories inside of 30 minutes, but the way they're doing it is distracting, obvious, and not very funny.  sure, i'd prefer they let the stories breathe - the dan mintz (tina from bob's burgers) character could've been way better as a 2-3 episode arc, where stealing his coo seemed like a dick move if they had a real relationship, instead of just a forced playdate scenario concocted by jared.  incidentally, jared can pretty much do no wrong in my book, but even last night his bit seemed forced.

they clearly are building this into a showdown with gavin (again) so hopefully they've got a good idea of the direction to make it entertaining.  it either needs to be a good story or be funny.  i can deal with one or the other.  right now it's neither unfortunately, and that's a real shame.  i said it earlier, but berg is gone, and after 3-4 seasons, typically some writers move on as well.  i doubt judge is that involved either.

• Like 2

This season has been really good. 
So, the show left it's roots and became a typical, 30 minute episodic comedy with quick, cheap, down and dirty jokes with plots that wrapped themselves up in 30 minutes and everyone was outraged.
This season is less episodic and formulaic and has introduced longer, more drawn out plot points and story lines and it still sucks.
I think the problem isn't with the show, but more with the viewers. I also think it speaks to some sort of phenomenon and psychology that happens with certain people and their inability to be rational once they've crossed some emotional rubicon. This show to some of you is like the partner in a relationship who said or did something to really deeply hurt you and though you've forgiven them and things are seemingly back to the way they were, they can never be the same because of that hurtful transgression.

ec32c3a113c9afe99829b669b32baabc.jpg
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I think the problem isn't with the show, but more with the viewers.

this is a bit, right? 

i've had several different people from random corners of my life comment about the terribleness of the show this season.  i doubt it's a situation where we're all wrong and you're right.

the fact that we tune in every week ready and willing to be entertained should show you that we're not some jilted lover with ptsd.

6 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

What is particularly funny about this is that from what I've seen most people and critics agree with me while a few petulant messagboarders are being emo about this and think they (the Principal Skinner minority) know more than the masses (the children).

If you really think that you fall in the with the majority with respect to the direction this show has gone...well that makes sense coming from you.

4 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Is your position that the majority of viewers, critics, and audience at large think Silicon Valley sucks like you and a handful of others here? Serious question.

How has my position not been made clear since before this site even existed? And how have you been unable to see that the majority here agree with that take and disagree with yours?

when i get a text from across the country saying "what is wrong with silicon this season?" i'm going to assume it's not just a handful of random longhorn fans.

clearly some of us hold the show to higher standards that were set in season 2, and some of us are happy with what we're getting.  neither is necessarily wrong or right, it's just the way it is on this show.  i wish it was better, but i don't think it is very good right now.

Edited by henrygandorf

I can only talk anecdotally; but when I talk about the show to people, people who don't watch a lot of TV but are fans of this show, they think there is a decline in quality. But those I talk to also still think it is funny.

I disagree, but I love television and am comparing it to everything I have seen like most of this thread. I think the difference is easier to see when it came on right before VEEP. But I have generally been able to leave a show pretty quickly lately even if I have a lot of time invested in watching, so there is still a small reason why I watch this one. I am starting wondering more and more what it is though.

Edited by Dr. Teeth

11 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I agree that the show had a dip, but my point is this season is a return to form (in my opinion) yet nobody else seems to agree.

I would love someone who has seen all the seasons and all the episodes this season to answer:

So this season hasn't been good? It's not a return to the earlier format with respect to comedy and pace?

I think this season has been a little slower than the previous seasons,  but it's definitely building up. I, for one, am excited to see the next episode about the mole and how Jared takes to his newly earned position.

Which jokes did you laugh at last night? This is the type of show I don't really look at critically for a clear story path. I just want to laugh. I barely laughed last night. They even had to do the bitcoin thing for a cheap laugh. Other than the Jing Yang letter, I really haven't laughed out loud. I think the closure on the company's future might be the only thing I care about.

correct.  it hasn't been good, and certainly not to season 2 standards, which was the peak for this show.  the comedy is not nearly as smart and i can see most of the bits coming from a mile away.  the story is fine, i suppose, but they extend way too much effort and screentime to try and make the jokes work.  this shows a lack of foresight that the show once had.

if you're fine essentially lining this up with modern family, then you're getting what you want.  slow developing jokes and character traits invented 5 minutes ago in order to have a mediocre scene make some sense. 

personally, i don't see this show as a true episodic sitcom written joke to joke to joke like friends or will and grace (both fine shows, but different from this).  i see this as a sitcom with serial qualities where i can follow the story along a season or multiple seasons.  if the story is chugging along, i don't need constant jokes.  the issue i'm having is that they've abandoned the continuous storyline, but haven't made up for it with hilariousness, which is really what needs to happen once you go down that road.

now i'm left with a stop-and-start story, lame jokes, and very few laughs.  judge and berg are responsible for some very smart comedy over the years, but it feels like they're phoning it in right now.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I agree that the show had a dip, but my point is this season is a return to form (in my opinion) yet nobody else seems to agree.

I would love someone who has seen all the seasons and all the episodes this season to answer:

So this season hasn't been good? It's not a return to the earlier format with respect to comedy and pace?

No, it's not a return.  The earlier seasons I was laughing out loud multiple times per episode.  It's night and day.  The original creators are doing other things now, and it shows.  

Richard is still completely unlikeable.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I'll bite. I'm also in their targeted demographic, and a coder.

The story so far has been alright, but not outstanding. 6/10
Potential could be there, but we'll see. Not really impressed that for now it seems to be headed towards yet another Richard vs Gavin slap fight. Things may change.

As far as the comedy aspect, it's lacking. 4/10
The jokes have been lame, and few and far between thus far. The story seems forced, leading to uninspired attempts at humor. Unfortunately it's not up to the standard the show set for itself in the first three seasons. Last season was an odd duck, but at least there were still some good laughs and camaraderie within the group. So far this season it hasn't hit. Maybe it's a slow start to build deep into the season. Maybe it's a lack of writing talent.

I'm not bailing on the show, and I don't hate it. However I'm not ignorant to the fact that the quality is down from what the show has set people to expect. That's a real shame, as with some good writing this show could be killing it still. If the first season was written to this standard, it may not have garnered the attention to deserve a second.

Of course that's based on the first three episodes. Things could change, and it could be just a warmup for the meat of the season. The preview for EP4 showed potential, so I guess we'll see what happens.

turning Jin Yang into a villain is a poor easy move that screams lazy.  Having him take over the company and then copy it....could see that from the first second they mentioned Erick's 10% ownership....Richard has become entirely impossible to root for as the clumsy super nerd...Gifoyele and Dinesh are hardly characters, and more of a weekly side joke...

It honestly feels like they created a blue print and handed it off to less talented people who are just mailing it in until the viewership drops enough to cancel.  The quick wit and smart humor have been replace by "create a dumb problem, fail miserably...quick resolution...foreshadow next problem...repeat

At this point it might be a spin off series if they were to go five minutes without stepping on their dicks

I'm out

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 2

turning Jin Yang into a villain is a poor easy move that screams lazy.  Having him take over the company and then copy it....could see that from the first second they mentioned Erick's 10% ownership....Richard has become entirely impossible to root for as the clumsy super nerd...Gifoyele and Dinesh are hardly characters, and more of a weekly side joke...
It honestly feels like they created a blue print and handed it off to less talented people who are just mailing it in until the viewership drops enough to cancel.  The quick wit and smart humor have been replace by "create a dumb problem, fail miserably...quick resolution...foreshadow next problem...repeat
At this point it might be a spin off series if they were to go five minutes without stepping on their dicks
I'm out

Well, bye.

From a storytelling standpoint this week's episode was probably the best of this season. Not much in the way of LOL moments. I did really enjoy the greaseboard behind Jin Yiang though where he was basically going to put together Chinese equivalents of popular US applications/websites. It was subtle -- then they had Jin Yiang erase the "Pied Piper" one to make sure you didn't miss it.

I feel like it's potentially heading back towards the direction of where on track might be.

Jared again with the best lines.  Richard is a master at getting consent.  Showing your junk to a john so that he'll know you're not a cop.  Because cops aren't allowed to do that and worst case the john gets a free peak.  Why do all the homes I love get stripped.

• Like 1

Just stumbled upon an episode, and it’s...not good. Been on for literally five minutes and (wait for it) Richard has put his foot in his mouth at an inopportune time during a big meeting! Also, replace “you can’t smoke in Silicon Valley” with “you can’t be Christian in Silicon Valley” and then multiply the hyperbole by three. 

Still sucks. 

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

This one is.

No. It’s an absurdist/hyperbolic view of Silicon Valley.  Doesn’t mean show hasn’t fallen off, but it was never meant to be realistic as much as emblematic and purposely taking real life Valley issues and adding an absurdist twist (see genesis of Middle Out)

29 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

This season is the worst so far.

Lots of unfunny jokes mashed together without much flow.  I don't know if that is shitty production/direction or shitty writing or both.  

There are still occasional laughs but I think it is the boredom effect. Like most of his shows, It starts off great and then he kinda seems to get bored with it and abandon it to everyone else. See Beavis and Butthead, much better at first, tailed off at the end. Not sure about the last few seasons of KOTH, as I quit watching after about S6. He seems to be best when he takes an idea and makes a movie out of it. Maybe he should start doing limited series, when he has an idea. HBO has had several of those that have been good.