Silicon Valley season 5 hbo

Bogeywon

i've been a silicon valley sunshine pumper in the past, but the episodes are getting so slow and what happens in most episodes now is so contrived. richard needs to just gtfo. jin yiang used to provide a small amount of comic relief, but his character now is just flat out stupid.

the funny thing is that i'll continue watching anyway.

12 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Good point.  A comedy TV shows supposed to mirror real life.

i don't think it's supposed to mirror real life, but i think this show has been hilarious in the past using a certain type of smart comedy and "zany" is not really it.  leave the goofball or physical comedy for broadcast network.

the show isn't getting any funnier (jared one liners notwithstanding), but i thought the plot had an uptick.  of course once they told the mole they were onto him and would be using him to fuck over gavin, their next move was...nothing?  although i started daydreaming and playing on my phone near the end, so it's possible i missed something.  at least it's a plot thread that's lasting multiple episodes.  

small, slow progress is still progress.  the jian-yang stuff is stupid.  owning a silent share of a company and then trying to force that company to do business with other companies you own doesn't seem legal, or funny.  

also, real quick question - because i had similar questions about pied piper the compression algo the last couple seasons.  i know hooli is huge and evil and whatever, but they don't own the internet, right?  richard keeps acting like this will be a free internet instead of confined to all the regulations from the current internet (always referencing hooli).  in real life, yahoo/google/microsoft can theoretically screw with their search results, but they can't keep a website from being a website reachable from the regular internet, right?  this isn't an attack on the show, this is a legit question that i just don't understand.  are the octo-pipers going to have their sites/apps/services available on richard's internet and not on the current setup?  seems like a pretty shitty business strategy.

also their runners this season (octo-piper, no christians in silicon valley, etc) are terrible.  they're supposed to be funny the first few times and get old near the end (or get funnier even).  they're bad.  archer is the absolute best at this, and this show might be the worst.

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't think it's supposed to mirror real life, but i think this show has been hilarious in the past using a certain type of smart comedy and "zany" is not really it.  leave the goofball or physical comedy for broadcast network.

the show isn't getting any funnier (jared one liners notwithstanding), but i thought the plot had an uptick.  of course once they told the mole they were onto him and would be using him to fuck over gavin, their next move was...nothing?  although i started daydreaming and playing on my phone near the end, so it's possible i missed something.  at least it's a plot thread that's lasting multiple episodes.  

small, slow progress is still progress.  the jian-yang stuff is stupid.  owning a silent share of a company and then trying to force that company to do business with other companies you own doesn't seem legal, or funny.  

also, real quick question - because i had similar questions about pied piper the compression algo the last couple seasons.  i know hooli is huge and evil and whatever, but they don't own the internet, right?  richard keeps acting like this will be a free internet instead of confined to all the regulations from the current internet (always referencing hooli).  in real life, yahoo/google/microsoft can theoretically screw with their search results, but they can't keep a website from being a website reachable from the regular internet, right?  this isn't an attack on the show, this is a legit question that i just don't understand.  are the octo-pipers going to have their sites/apps/services available on richard's internet and not on the current setup?  seems like a pretty shitty business strategy.

also their runners this season (octo-piper, no christians in silicon valley, etc) are terrible. they're supposed to be funny the first few times and get old near the end (or get funnier even).  they're bad.  archer is the absolute best at this, and this show might be the worst.

I’m Mr.Meseeks, look at me!

No I just figured I was tuned out if it was ever explained.  Not trying to dissect any further than how you would explain it to a 10 year old.

Makes no sense to me. Let’s use a network of internet connected devices to create our own decentralized internet? I think that’s how it was explained on the show.

But isn’t that the point of the character? Or are you saying it’s old
Yeah I think it's just getting old. I get that most of the characters are one note, but Richard's note is wearing on me. I'll still keep watching though for the other characters.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Dinesh has become the Jar Jar Binks of cable TV.

yeah.  when he's getting into it with gilfoyle it's typically pretty good, but he's nearly unwatchable when he's communicating with anyone else.

in fact, the majority of the characters, including recurring (laurie, the doctor, gavin's security guy) are a beating right now.  take jared away, and you're not left with much.

Even with Jared, you aren't left with much.  The frequency of genuinely laughable moments or even mere amusement is dwindling with every episode.  I'm still watching, but it's no longer something I feel I need to watch at first airing.  I'll either catch it on a replay or stream it on demand when I can't find anything else more appealing. 

On 4/16/2018 at 3:43 PM, henrygandorf said:

Hooli is sorta like AT&T, controlling access and some content.  Having (and motivating) users to be tied into their centralized, served up internet...essentially the internet we have today in real life.

The decentralized internet would theoretically render their servers farms obsolete and cost them subscribers, essentially kill the company.  Gavin thought the patent that Richard/Pied Piper now have was impossible, because his experts didn't have distributed compute power then.  Mobile devices and Pied Piper's compression performance have made it possible, so they're trying to build a business out of that.  It's probably not solving a real-world equivalent problem, but it's a pretty clever plot device for a tech geek show.

I agree with everybody else, nowhere near the bar itself for itself, but I'm not going to stop watching.

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Jareds lips were funny

I couldn't stop laughing at them. I just wished he could have given the television interview and said "manure" with those lips. 

I'm interested to see where the show goes with "Fiona." There is a lot of potential there. And it appears that Big Head will feature in next week's episode, too.

i feel like this show is missing tj miller.  as much of a buffoon as they made him, he kept the story going and provided a little outsider perspective.  jared is the only character worth a shit right now.

although everyone reacting to jared's lips was probably as funny as anything they've done this season.

all the gavin stuff is retarded.  what happened to the plan with the mole?  what a waste.

I also finally enjoyed an episode. It just felt different like they were actually building up to something over the season instead of just giving me a rollercoaster ride within one episode. I thought the interaction with Fiona was going to turn out differently. I figured Richard would start talking to her and realize the potential and want to turn his company into working on AI stuff powered by his technology. Alternatively I also thought maybe Fiona would try to hack into Richard's stuff while he worked next to her. 

1 hour ago, dad said:

I also finally enjoyed an episode. It just felt different like they were actually building up to something over the season instead of just giving me a rollercoaster ride within one episode. I thought the interaction with Fiona was going to turn out differently. I figured Richard would start talking to her and realize the potential and want to turn his company into working on AI stuff powered by his technology. Alternatively I also thought maybe Fiona would try to hack into Richard's stuff while he worked next to her. 

She would be coding with spaces.

• Like 1