2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

I feel so empty inside.

How will the new coordinators make their mark on the program? Who are the new position coaches? Who's transferring out? What grad transfers are coming?

Our fanbase koolaid tolerance is lower than last year after the Becklando Experience's last rodeo. Let's get those numbers up.

pom_cheer_bevo_blvd_isu_p1801.jpg

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

That's the mills concept combined with shallow cross: http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-science-of-the-post-going-deep-with-mills

I wish I had more evidence, but I kinda feel like the deep post hasn't been one of Ehlinger's better throws.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

That's the mills concept combined with shallow cross: http://smartfootball.com/offense/the-science-of-the-post-going-deep-with-mills

I wish I had more evidence, but I kinda feel like the deep post hasn't been one of Ehlinger's better throws.

Maybe Yrrrrcich can teach Sammy to hit that throw better this year!!  🤘

10 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

Agree on that point. I don't think Sam has a strong arm. he'll be a senior. I don't think he can improve his arm strength anymore. But, if the new OC can fully utilize his current strengths, our offense should be fine next year.

A top20 offense and a top50 defense should be able to help for a 10win season and top10 finish. 

let's be realistic.  top 30 offense, top 60 defense.  losses to LSU and one game we're favored in, but a victory over OU leaves us at 2 losses going into the big 12 game.  Game is toss up. 

With so much depth caused by the injuries on D, we might even have the D come close to the top 30.  

All of the above assumes no major injuries.   We always win the bowl game, so we finish top 10.  

1 minute ago, orangecat92 said:

let's be realistic.  top 30 offense, top 60 defense.  losses to LSU and one game we're favored in, but a victory over OU leaves us at 2 losses going into the big 12 game.  Game is toss up. 

With so much depth caused by the injuries on D, we might even have the D come close to the top 30.  

All of the above assumes no major injuries.   We always win the bowl game, so we finish top 10.  

We had a top 20 offense and a top 60ish defense this year.  There is almost no way a top 30 offense and top 60 defense leads to a 10-2 regular season next year. 

20 minutes ago, Moliniao said:

Agree on that point. I don't think Sam has a strong arm. he'll be a senior. I don't think he can improve his arm strength anymore. But, if the new OC can fully utilize his current strengths, our offense should be fine next year.

A top20 offense and a top50 defense should be able to help for a 10win season and top10 finish. 

Sam's issues with hitting the post were usually due to overthrows, not under throws. His arm strength is average to above average for a college QB. 

I expect a top 10 offense.
I expect a top 40 defense.
I expect Bijan to rush for 1000 yards.
I expect double-digit sacks from Joseph Ossai.
I expect a Conference Title.

I think it’s good that you’ve established the floor for 2020.
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, TotallyLegit said:

Ehlinger was v bad at that throw to Duvernay in 2018.  He was significantly better throwing the post to Eagles this year.

9 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

So you think we won't improve on offense or defense but our team will be much better. Interesting. 

defense will improve from top 110.  I know, I am using the outdated yards per game ranking.  The offense ranking will be about the same, just less predictable.  

The special teams will be much better, more like the Alamo Bowl, and we should get some breaks in 20. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Dang the link above died... 😬 

Adding this inside zone read video to 2020 thread for reference...

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

2019 was a fooled you moment.  I’m still expecting 3-4 Ls   Hoping everyone is quoting this in December when we win the conference. And I’ll eat crow.  But I’m buying much of the same 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Herman is getting fired without a B12 Championship. We kicked the can down the road. It was either Shaka or Herman this year but not both. 

I wish I had your confidence. Maybe it's just following this program for the last decade, but I can see a scenario where we win 8 or 9 in the regular season, don't make the CCG and he's still here in 2021. We need 2020 to be a monumental success or a monumental failure but nothing in between. 

20 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Herman is getting fired without a B12 Championship. We kicked the can down the road. It was either Shaka or Herman this year but not both. 

He's fired if we don't make the Big 12 champ game.

Will probably get a big bonus/extension if we win the Big 12

Probably retained even if we lose the champ game, but won't get an extension/bonus

1 hour ago, orangecat92 said:

Hmm...so a return of the fabled SP+ anti-Herman bias?  Maybe it's only operative in even-numbered years.

Edited by Fozzz

Stop fucking worrying about out-scheming and out-mensa-ing teams and let our athletes play like they were born to play. And beat the fuck out of the weak teams on the schedule.

Let's get back to what it was like when we'd effortlessly hang 60 on Baylor and Kansas.

Edited by Sejjr

3 hours ago, maninblack said:

3 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

This is a ridiculous categorical statement.  So if he pulls a 2019 Baylor and goes 11-1 but then loses in the CCG he gets fired?  Right.  

3 hours ago, maninblack said:

Baylor people like Rhule even though he's a drunk. Herman is universally hated.

I just don't buy it. If Herman goes 10-2 & loses the Big 12 title game, the ONLY way you can sell firing Herman is if UT is hiring a big fish like Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. That's it.

• Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

He's fired if we don't make the Big 12 champ game.

Will probably get a big bonus/extension if we win the Big 12

Probably retained even if we lose the champ game, but won't get an extension/bonus

He better not get an extension until we see what shakes out with the QB question in 2021

6 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

I expect a top 10 offense.

I expect a top 40 defense.

I expect Bijan to rush for 1000 yards.

I expect double-digit sacks from Joseph Ossai.

I expect a Conference Title.

Image result for texas cheerleaders

Bijan is not even going to be the top rusher next season. I will take the under 1000 yards rushing during his freshman year. 

I expect to go undefeated. I'll tolerate a loss or two if we get really unlucky. Every game is winnable. Shit both OU and LSU were winnable this year, if we had better coaches.

Tommy Boy screwed up. His "attention to detail" was bullshit. We were underperforming from the beginning of the season but he didn't listen or evaluate correctly. Why do they even bother watching tape if they aren't fixing the fuckups? I mean, even a football idiot like me can see that blitzes from Egypt don't work. And everyone knew our offensive playcalls. Maybe I'm not the only one who could have picked up on that? 

So far his bullshit has all been a lie. I hope he's figured out how to fix it. You can't be fucking friends with your subordinates. You just can't. 

I also expect them to let Sam audible. It's idiotic that he doesn't. O-line should be better. Offense should be on fire next year.

• Like 1

Oklahoma will be breaking in a new QB and Baylor loses a fuck ton of players next year. If we do not win the conference next year with a senior Ehlinger Herman needs to be fired. If it does not happen next year it will never happen for Herman. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Oklahoma will be breaking in a new QB and Baylor loses a fuck ton of players next year. If we do not win the conference next year with a senior Ehlinger Herman needs to be fired. If it does not happen next year it will never happen for Herman. 

I kind of agree with you, and if Riley and Rhule bolt to the NFL there is absolutely zero excuse.

6 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.

2019 was a fooled you moment.  I’m still expecting 3-4 Ls   Hoping everyone is quoting this in December when we win the conference. And I’ll eat crow.  But I’m buying much of the same 

“Fuck the peace sign, load the choppa, let it rain on you...”