2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

While I sure as fuck hope you are correct, I cannot feel confident in this take until we see it play out, at least in the spring. I've seen too much in this life to trust much of anything to be a certainty beyond death, taxes, and disappointment from the teams that I follow. I need to see dry ink on dotted lines and such before I trust anything as a given. Herman's shown a proclivity for imitating a pet raccoon - whatever he doesn't fuck up or eat, he shits on. I'm not ready to concede that he won't meddle with and fuck up Yurcich's plans. 

Geez dude, take a break from all of this. 

23 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Have to agree with Burton's comments about slow Texas WRs not named Duvernay, slow RBs and slow TEs.   Agree with @dcar00 about "lazy ass recruiting" when it comes to the lack of speed at skill positions for Texas.  Rhule made it a point to recruit more athletes at Baylor that had speed and/or quickness... it has been a big part of his success with 3Star and below players.  Interesting article on Rhules's recruiting strategies (below)

"Behold the analytics revolution: If you’re gonna miss, miss fast"

https://247sports.com/Article/College-football-recruiting-testing-numbers-Tracking-Football-133192451/  

On a recruiting podcast this week, Bobby Burton further clarified the comments made by a B12 Coach regarding the 2019 Longhorns football team.

Bobby said that recently a current B12 Coach said that they were really surprised by the lack of speed that Texas had this past year.  This B12 Coach's team beat Texas in 2019.  Bobby said that the lack of speed comments were more about the Texas offensive skill players.

That B12 Coach has to be from either TCU, Baylor, Iowa State or blOU.  My guess is that the comment was made by Fatterson...

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Like 1

recently a current B12 Coach said that they were really surprised by the lack of speed that Texas had this past year.  This B12 Coach's team beat Texas in 2019.

I would bet this was Patterson, sounds like him.

I also think our speed looks worse than it actually is when our playcalls are predictable and defenders are guessing where they're going on routes. I'm not saying our speed is elite, but lack of creativity in playcalling wasn't helping our cause. Hopefully that changes next year.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

On a recruiting podcast this week, Bobby Burton further clarified the comments made by a B12 Coach regarding the 2019 Longhorns football team.

Bobby said that recently a current B12 Coach said that they were really surprised by the lack of speed that Texas had this past year.  This B12 Coach's team beat Texas in 2019.  Bobby said that the lack of speed comments were more about the Texas offensive skill players.

That B12 Coach has to be from either TCU, Baylor, Iowa State or blOU.  My guess is that the comment was made by Fatterson...

giphy.gif

It’s Patterson or a TCU staff member. He and his crew love talking shit about Texas and Burton has relationships with him and some of his crew. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

While I don't necessarily agree that we aren't "football fast" at times (unfortunately, pretty often, actually), I think you're right. This seems exactly like some shit that sweaty fuck would pull so he'd be able to point to the article to use it as negative recruiting.

9 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Let's be honest Bobby Burton probably doesn't have connections to Iowa St or OU coaches. 

Baylor? maybe, but doubtful

but TCU?

bullseye GIF by Keith Urban

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

It’s Patterson or a TCU staff member. He and his crew love talking shit about Texas and Burton has relationships with him and some of his crew. 

I'm pretty sure our entire fucking secondary was out for that game, and we thought TCU was just going to pound the ball, so we played with extra LBs on the field all game, too.  So, yeah, our defense looked slow as fuck that game.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:11 PM, LTtxfan said:

Siap... Bobby Burton 's "Tuesday" post

I’ve always felt this was the case and can’t wrap my head around why. When I watch OU, it seems like they get atleast 2-3 walk in wide open TDs a game. Most of our big plays seem like contested jump balls or guys breaking tackles. It’s as if our scheme doesn’t utilize our speed advantage over teams.

19 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

I'm pretty sure our entire fucking secondary was out for that game, and we thought TCU was just going to pound the ball, so we played with extra LBs on the field all game, too.  So, yeah, our defense looked slow as fuck that game.

Also they were constantly out of position and didn’t know what to do because Orlando.

9 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I’ve always felt this was the case and can’t wrap my head around why. When I watch OU, it seems like they get atleast 2-3 walk in wide open TDs a game. Most of our big plays seem like contested jump balls or guys breaking tackles. It’s as if our scheme doesn’t utilize our speed advantage over teams.

Yeah. Lack of team speed isn’t our problem. 3 of our top 4 WRs in catches have 80 yard TD speed. Our scheme didn’t generate explosive plays. Yurcich generates a ton of explosive plays at OSU. Hopefully he can bring that to Texas next year.  

If we were better coached on both sides of the ball, we would’ve looked faster and more athletic, like we did against Utah. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

If folks want hear Burton's comments made by B12 Coach on Texas lack of speed, here's a better audio clip... start around 32:30 mark

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/flagship-breaking-down-new-assistant-coaches-who-have/id1279981104?i=1000462541016

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

giphy.gif

It was 100% Fatterson

19 hours ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Epps apparently has had a moment of clarity, so that's nice. Moving Boyce to reciever seems like delaying the inevitable. Eagles doesn't have to deal with coach rooster fuckface, which is neat. Smith being a given to start at slot makes too much sense so that'll be fucked in some sort of way. Ditto Washington at X.

Sam. I sweatergawd another wasted season, his last, will result in a restraining order against me from mensa. He received a lot of shit last season for his performance and I don't know how much of that blame he should've shared. I do know he didn't have the autonomy one would expect a 3rd year starting QB to have and that's something I would hope changes. 

Regarding Epps, I hope he watched Moss for LSU in the title game.  It would seem he could fill a similar role if he worked at it.

RE Sam:  I watched the Alamo Bowl with some friends (2 Gators, 2 War Eagle Tigers) and one of them asked what happened to Sam this year, because he thought he would have had an awesome season.  I replied that he had a pretty good season, but that our team was so shitty that it made him look shitty by default.  About 5 minutes later they showed the stat that his offensive yardage fell between Colt's best year and Vince's best year at 2nd all time at Texas for a single season.  Everyone's reaction was "holy shit, I would have never guessed that."

• Like 2

Assuming Chaisson and Moss are both gone like LSU mods and insiders believe, here's what they lost from the starting lineups

On offense, it's QB, RB, WR, TE, C, 2 OG, OT (8/11)

On defense, when they have two OLB on the field, it's 1 DE, 2 OLB, 2 ILB, 1 S, 1 CB (7/11). When they sub in a nickel for an OLB (Vincent Jr for Divinity), it's 6/11

So basically, they lost 15/23 starters, and a few backups 

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Assuming Chaisson and Moss are both gone like LSU mods and insiders believe, here's what they lost from the starting lineups

On offense, it's QB, RB, WR, TE, C, 2 OG, OT (8/11)

On defense, when they have two OLB on the field, it's 1 DE, 2 OLB, 2 ILB, 1 S, 1 CB (7/11). When they sub in a nickel for an OLB (Vincent Jr for Divinity), it's 6/11

So basically, they lost 15/23 starters, and a few backups 

and co - oc and possible dc

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Creed leaving OU would have been nice. As would have been landing Johnston. 

Johnston wasn’t the off-season yet. You know, just to quibble. Also I’d hate to see LSU get so gutted that they can’t beat aTm, so maybe Aranda at LSU would have been better. But I’m just spitballin’ here. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

I know I'm late to the team speed conversation, but I just want to add that we also learned a lesson with John Burt who has elite track (hurdles) speed but lacks many other skills. IMO shuttle times and the first 20 meters split of the 40yd/100m are much more relevant to football than actual track results. Who cares if a guy has elite top speed, if he gets caught before he reaches it. Give me burst and fluidity over top end speed every time. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Sock Monkey said:

I know I'm late to the team speed conversation, but I just want to add that we also learned a lesson with John Burt who has elite track (hurdles) speed but lacks many other skills. IMO shuttle times and the first 20 meters split of the 40yd/100m are much more relevant to football than actual track results. Who cares if a guy has elite top speed, if he gets caught before he reaches it. Give me burst and fluidity over top end speed every time. 

Marcus Washington and Bijan Robinson are your kind of dudes

4 hours ago, Sock Monkey said:

Agreed that we are looking for "quick as shit" not Bob Hayes.

7 minutes ago, anacardo said:

Guys I hate to break the tenor of Surly norms, but I think things are going really well, better than we had any right to expect or hope.  

bro, you cannot call that out into the forum. It's conjuring evil. Everybody knock on wood or throw some salt over their shoulders or some shit.

• Like 1