2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

47 minutes ago, anacardo said:

Guys I hate to break the tenor of Surly norms, but I think things are going really well, better than we had any right to expect or hope.  

Herman's making moves from a weak position. Everything happening should've happened after the Sugar Bowl win. And we're still stuck with Giles. Herman is getting fired.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maninblack said:

Herman's making moves from a weak position. Everything happening should've happened after the Sugar Bowl win. And we're still stuck with Giles. Herman is getting fired.

Have any Longhorn players have declared for the NFL draft?

Edited by Royal With Cheese

7 hours ago, anacardo said:

Guys I hate to break the tenor of Surly norms, but I think things are going really well, better than we had any right to expect or hope.  

Checking in to say that I am still 100% Eeyore and Charlie Brown love child on next season.

21 hours ago, maninblack said:

He should've done it after year 1. People forget he was calling plays against Missouri. Instead, he preached continuity and referenced the previous 7 years of having constant turnover on one side of the ball as the culprit. We ate it up. 

By the time new year's night 2019 came around, he was percieved as validated and no one could tell him otherwise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

He should've done it after year 1. People forget he was calling plays against Missouri. Instead, he preached continuity and referenced the previous 7 years of having constant turnover on one side of the ball as the culprit. We ate it up. 

By the time new year's night 2019 came around, he was percieved as validated and no one could tell him otherwise. 

Bullshit. A lot of us were consistently calling for the firing of multiple coaches even after the 2018 season. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Assman said:

I'm sure there are several 8-5 teams out there where > 0 juniors would get drafted.

Sure, but juniors getting drafted or not is just a measure of how good your 2017 class was. We had a low ranked transition class that year, although it has turned out to be a solid class of contributors. Just no elite talent outside of Sam and Sam.

51 minutes ago, thepop said:

Sure, but juniors getting drafted or not is just a measure of how good your 2017 class was. We had a low ranked transition class that year, although it has turned out to be a solid class of contributors. Just no elite talent outside of Sam and Sam.

Not too mention the best skill position player in that class never made it to campus.

18 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Bullshit. A lot of us were consistently calling for the firing of multiple coaches even after the 2018 season. 

Shiiiiit we hated half the hires and wanted them fired before he coached a game. 

I'm assuming that the Shannahan to Texas is just a troll. I'd be curious if Shannahan has love for his alma mater at all, and what I mean by that, is watching out games, etc. I doubt it, NFL coaches are busy. What I would love would be if Tom Herman could call the guy up, ask him to watch some film, and give him the names of some bright analysts he's worked with in the NFL who might want to move to college, Joe Brady style, as a stepping stone. Would that be too much to ask?

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm assuming that the Shannahan to Texas is just a troll. I'd be curious if Shannahan has love for his alma mater at all, and what I mean by that, is watching out games, etc. I doubt it, NFL coaches are busy. What I would love would be if Tom Herman could call the guy up, ask him to watch some film, and give him the names of some bright analysts he's worked with in the NFL who might want to move to college, Joe Brady style, as a stepping stone. Would that be too much to ask?

This would require Herman checking his ego and admitting he’s not the smartest guy in the room. Hell, Herman probably thinks Kyle should call him and get his thoughts on how to game plan for the Super Bowl.  Shannahan is one of the best football minds.  I wish we would have offered him the job to be HC at Texas when he was the OC at Atlanta.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, victory88 said:

This would require Herman checking his ego and admitting he’s not the smartest guy in the room. Hell, Herman probably thinks Kyle should call him and get his thoughts on how to game plan for the Super Bowl.  Shannahan is one of the best football minds.  I wish we would have offered him the job to be HC at Texas when he was the OC at Atlanta.  

Shanahan has pretty much been all about the NFL since early in his career. I doubt he would’ve taken the job even then. His performance in Atlanta all but guaranteed he’d become an NFL HC in short order and I doubt he would’ve passed that up to become the HC at UT. 

16 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

If you consider an Ohio State degree failing up, I guess. I’d call it a wash at best. 

Ohio State is not a wash with WVU in either the football or academic world. Maybe in couch burning.

Edited by gmr548