2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

Horns247 Staff: How significant is the loss of Adeoye for spring practice?

Each week, the Horns247 staff tackles the Question of the Week, where we dive in to the latest events and hot topics surrounding the University of Texas. This week’s topic comes following the news that redshirt sophomore linebacker Ayodele Adeoye will miss all of spring football after he suffered a foot injury that will require surgery. While Adeoye’s injury will keep him out of the upcoming spring practice session, he is expected to be healthy in time for fall camp.

However, the injury comes at a position that already faces a lack of depth and added more insult to injury this week as sources told Horns247 that junior linebacker Juwan Mitchell has entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal. With that said, the Question of the Week is … How significant is Ayodele Adeoye missing the entire spring due to a foot injury and subsequent surgery?

Bobby Burton, Publisher

With the Horns installing a new defense, you’d like to see the squad at full strength, at least the returning starters. But the position — not the player — is the issue here. Adeoye likely would have been the one communicating between the secondary and the defensive front. So it’s not only about actual playing time, but the communication that will be missed. Of course, it’s a small thing that can be rectified in the fall but it’s just one of those pieces that you’d like to have ironed out sooner rather than later.

Chip Brown, Columnist

I think this injury suffered by Adeoye is signficant. There are times, in a situation like this, you might say a guy with some experience in the defense would be OK missing the spring because a less-experienced player might benefit from more practice time. But this injury comes at a critical time for EVERY player on the team as seven new coaches, including two new coordinators, will be going through spring football at Texas for the first time together.

And because linebacker is already thin — with Marcus Tillman Jr. expected to miss the spring recovering from a knee injury — Adeoye's injury will have even more impact on the team's ability to field enough players at linebacker during spring practice. This will become an opportunity now for former walk-on Cort Jaquess, who played impressively during UT's Alamo Bowl victory over Utah. But that also shows the lack of depth and why Texas is looking for graduate transfer help at linebacker in the transfer portal.

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

When combined with Juwan Mitchell going into the transfer portal this week, a position of great concern has become a full-blown problem for the Longhorns. Adeoye and Marcus Tillman Jr. missing spring practice means the linebacker group will be David Gbenda and three linebackers who were former walk-on players awarded scholarships: Luke Brockermeyer, Russell Hine and Cort Jaquess.

If there’s anything good that comes of the issues at linebacker, it’s that necessity could be the mother of invention for Chris Ash. Texas is deep at safety, so deep that Ash could experiment with B.J. Foster and DeMarvion Overshown playing at linebacker for depth to see what it looks like when the Longhorns put their best 11 defenders on the field in a base defense as opposed to a sub-package.

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

This loss for spring football is significant for several ways, and adds even more questions on the defensive side of the ball at a position that already will face enough questions entering spring practice. The loss of Adeoye is obviously significant, as he is one of the few returners at the position, but if Juwan Mitchell does in fact follow through and transfer to another program, this could be an even more devastating blow for first-year defensive coordinator Chris Ash. The Longhorns already lack depth at LB, and now the team being without both Adeoye and Marcus Tillman Jr., and possibly Mitchell in spring ball, it is absolutely critical for Tom Herman and Ash to search through the JUCO ranks and transfer portal for any viable options to add depth at linebacker.

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

With news of the injury and Juwan Mitchell’s transfer, Texas is now down at the linebacker position, and it seems as if some walk-ons will get increased reps.

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

So our game on Thanksgiving weekend in Stilwater has been moved to Friday. I guess we're now officially "rivals" as part of "rivalry week" lol. I promise we won't jizz in any jars before hand.

View image on Twitter

Frog, corn, then okie lite within 20 days.

Nope. Don't like that at all. 

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

Frog, corn, then okie lite within 20 days.

Nope. Don't like that at all. 

Assuming you're talking about TCU, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State with those super funny nicknames, does that really scare you? Maybe we should drop down to a G5 conference? 

Also, try not to shit your pants when you hear this, but it's actually 13 days. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Assuming you're talking about TCU, Iowa State, and Oklahoma State with those super funny nicknames, does that really scare you? Maybe we should drop down to a G5 conference? 

13 is within 20, so ...

• Like 2

OMG one of them might even be ranked! Hopefully we’ll be able to field a team after the resulting carnage.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

C'mon, Huck. We lost to 2 of those 3 last season and probably would've lost the 3rd had we played later in the year. No, it doesn't scare me. Tom Herman would if anyone. But each of those teams should be better than last year so ending conference play with these 3, with the way Tom Herman Texas Football is played at the end of a season, I think we can come to an agreement for the use of concerned.

5 hours ago, Red Five said:

OMG one of them might even be ranked! Hopefully we’ll be able to field a team after the resulting carnage.

Gary Paterson, Matt Campbell and Mike Gundy. Yeah... I'm the one being hyperbolic. 

7 hours ago, Llogg said:

13 is within 20, so ...

Lol appreciate it but I fucked up on that one. Was looking at the previous game's date, I guess. Oh well, I can admit I was wrong and it doesn't take away (adds to, if anything) my point. That's a tough stretch of conference play to end on. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

But each of those teams should be better than last year

Oklahoma State yes, the other two, not so sure, and those are home games.

TCU loses 4/5 in the secondary and Blacklock plus a DE up front.  On offense they lose Reagor, 3 OL, and Anderson and the big RB.

Iowa State loses all its OL and top 2 WR's, and a handful on D'.

21 hours ago, EZ$ said:

JakeSmith and Malcolm Epps are expected to work in the slot, while Joshua Moore is expected tocompete at the Z along with MarcusWashington and Kennedy Lewis.

WTF???  

Well, if he’s too much of a pussy to get off press coverage or even try, let’s get him a free release amirite! Kill them with his speed. 

im not sure what happened to Epps to TE talk from just a few weeks ago, but this feels like depth shit for practice. 

28 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

TCU loses 4/5 in the secondary and Blacklock plus a DE up front.  On offense they lose Reagor, 3 OL, and Anderson and the big RB.

Holy crap. I didn’t realize TCU loses that much, especially coming off a 5 win season. Ole prego belly really has that machine humming in Fort Worth. 

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, if he’s too much of a pussy to get off press coverage or even try, let’s get him a free release amirite! Kill them with his speed. 

im not sure what happened to Epps to TE talk from just a few weeks ago, but this feels like depth shit for practice. 

I’d prefer he Epps to Incarnate Word talk, personally. 

47 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It'll still be the end of the season is what my point was. Those teams will look a lot different, just as we will, but to simply dismiss that stretch of the schedule is disingenuous at the very least. 

Mind y'all all I said was I didn't like that stretch of games to end the season. I'm not sure who else besides ou (being one of those games) would make it not true that we're finishing the season against some of the better teams in our conference. I don't think that's inaccurate to state. 

34 minutes ago, BigHorn'13 said:

It'll still be the end of the season is what my point was. Those teams will look a lot different, just as we will, but to simply dismiss that stretch of the schedule is disingenuous at the very least. 

Mind y'all all I said was I didn't like that stretch of games to end the season. I'm not sure who else besides ou (being one of those games) would make it not true that we're finishing the season against some of the better teams in our conference. I don't think that's inaccurate to state. 

TCU will be projected to be in the bottom half of the conference and we play them at home, so it’s really just that we play 2 of the 5 best teams in the conference back to back with one of them at home. Not much significant about that. 

35 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

TCU will be projected to be in the bottom half of the conference and we play them at home, so it’s really just that we play 2 of the 5 best teams in the conference back to back with one of them at home. Not much significant about that. 

Too easy to point out the obvious here so I'll let this all die. 

We're going 15-0 bitches!

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

He essentially served a one year suspension. It’s not like he kidnapped a girl and held a screwdriver to her throat or beat someone with a baseball bat. Play him.

Nah, he did something much worse than that. He played for Texas. If he'd been an Okie, he wouldn't even have made the news.

On 1/30/2020 at 3:39 PM, 'stache said:

So our game on Thanksgiving weekend in Stilwater has been moved to Friday. I guess we're now officially "rivals" as part of "rivalry week" lol. I promise we won't jizz in any jars before hand.

View image on Twitter

That red-orange gives me face cancer.

I don't know how anyone who has watched Texas play TCU since the latter joined this conference can talk about that game as a probable W with a straight face.

Texas's only two wins in that span are against TCU's two worst teams - or two of the three worst at the absolute most generous - with Texas's two best. And 2018 was gift wrapped via four inexplicable Shawn Robinson turnovers - remember, TCU led that one well into the 3rd.

Patterson has shown he knows how to handle Herman and clearly gets his players up for Texas. It's a tossup at best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't have access but based on Twitter sounds like Moore is returning. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/Eyes-of-Texas-Latest-on-Joshua-Moore-143476485/

Remember his 27-yard touchdown catch against USC in 2018 that turned a 16-14 lead into a 23-14 advantage and helped break the game open in a 37-14 Longhorns’ victory?

Well, it appears he’s finally about to put his legal trouble from a misdemeanor gun possession charge behind him, according to sources.

Moore’s attorney Mark Sampson wouldn’t comment other than to say a court date was likely to be set soon that would bring resolution to the matter.

Another source close to the situation said County Attorney David Escamilla’s office was close to signing off on an agreement to reduce the charge because Moore had met a requirement to undergo gun education as well as a number of community service hours.

After suffering a season-ending shoulder injury in 2018, Moore basically served a year-long suspension in 2019 after being charged with a misdemeanor charge of unlawfully possessing a firearm.

The year-long suspension is suitable for violating one of Tom Herman’s core values for the Texas program along with no drugs and treating women with respect, a UT source said.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also of note, it sounds like Daniel Young is going to get some reps at LB. This makes a lot of sense. He won't get any playing time at RB and he has the frame to play LB. 

Young played LB in High School at Westfield before moving to RB either Jr. or Sr. year.

4 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Also of note, it sounds like Daniel Young is going to get some reps at LB. This makes a lot of sense. He won't get any playing time at RB and he has the frame to play LB. 

Does that mean Whittington is staying at running back? Young would be going from a thin position to another thin position. One would think that one of the big safeties with the frame to put on 20 lbs. would be a better option. I still think Tyler Owens would absolutely kill it there.

CHIEF

4 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Does that mean Whittington is staying at running back? Young would be going from a thin position to another thin position. One would think that one of the big safeties with the frame to put on 20 lbs. would be a better option. I still think Tyler Owens would absolutely kill it there.

CHIEF

Ingram/RoJo/Bijan isn't a terribly thin lineup anymore. That's three RB1 types.

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

#21. Also lol we and Oregon really pissed in Utah's Cheerios.

Interesting. Just looking at teams we have on the schedule, only Oklahoma State has more returning production than Texas. And of the teams who represent the "usual suspects" of challenges, only Iowa State and TCU are reasonably close to Texas and Okie State in returning production. Oklahoma is down at #82, and LSU is close to the bottom, at #126.

This really does shape up to be a potentially great season. I wonder how they'll fuck it up?

Returning Production For 2020
TEAM OVERALL OFFENSE (RANK) DEFENSE (RANK)
9. Oklahoma State 80% 75% (34) 86% (8)
21. Texas 74% 66% (62) 82% (14)
36. USF 71% 68% (57) 74% (38)
52. Iowa State 67% 62% (71) 73% (42)
64. TCU 65% 61% (75) 68% (51)
66. W. Virginia 64% 71% (47) 58% (87)
76. Kansas State 61% 59% (80) 63% (67)
81. Texas Tech 59% 48% (105) 71% (44)
82. Oklahoma 59% 49% (102) 70% (47)
107. Baylor 51% 70% (51) 32% (127)
125. Kansas 42% 41% (115) 44% (116)
126. LSU 42% 30% (128) 54% (91)