2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

5 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Often think the same but his job isn’t to be smart, it’s to rile people up and drive clicks and he does that as if he was smart.

People are always getting bent out of shape and bringing up his name and articles.

Perhaps. I don't pay attention to that stuff. But I meant he actually talks like he's had a stroke. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Bill Connolly's season previews have begun, and our third game is up first, as befits the projected worst team in the FBS (Worse than UMass! Worse than Akron!). UTEP is hot trash, and not in the Tech sorority girl way.

I hope the "hard job" thing is a handjob reference.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's no aggy Women's Clinic, but it'll do

Gradient + "gotta be know for something" are cringe, the rest of that is pretty badass. You can tell he made that himself though 😂

Establish victims across the ball, the difference between physical and violence is intent. Fuck yeah. Fuck people up. Gonna get some guys tossed in this pussy big12 league though. 

• Like 1

It's no aggy Women's Clinic, but it'll do

Why not? Worked for Agassi.

c767feed81c820f94310e1c88fe78a1c.jpg

Confidence is important for corners, but I hope they preach resilience, patience, and technique. You will get exposed in the Big12. Your pass rushers will get held up. Your pride will get busted up. Lets be real and not talk about announcing your presence with authority.

This seems like a Wisconsin corner banking on stopping plodding Big10 passing games.

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Why not? Worked for Agassi.

c767feed81c820f94310e1c88fe78a1c.jpg

Confidence is important for corners, but I hope they preach resilience, patience, and technique. You will get exposed in the Big12. Your pass rushers will get held up. Your pride will get busted up. Lets be real and not talk about announcing your presence with authority.

This seems like a Wisconsin corner banking on stopping plodding Big10 passing games.

My impression is that he wants his corners to be aggressive and play that way, instead of what you're describing. And honestly, I agree with his approach and it goes towards the overall theme of simplifying scheme and letting athletes be athletes. 

18 hours ago, texifornia said:

Bill Connolly's season previews have begun, and our third game is up first, as befits the projected worst team in the FBS (Worse than UMass! Worse than Akron!). UTEP is hot trash, and not in the Tech sorority girl way.

I hope the "hard job" thing is a handjob reference.

this is the game where w either hang 65 points on and Casey Thompson plays the entire second half, or we win by 9 points with an iced FG  Your move entire new coaching staff

1 minute ago, Sgt Hulk said:

this is the game where w either hang 65 points on and Casey Thompson plays the entire second half, or we win by 9 points with an iced FG  Your move entire new coaching staff

UTEP is so fucking awful it should be like last year's Rice game at minimum - just running it up against a decent high school team. 

That Rice team was better than UTEP is supposed to be.

(fun note, recruitniks will remember McKel Broussard on UTEP was dying for a Texas offer - visited a few times and was talked up as a potential fallback option. Lol.)

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

How is LSU so high after losing their OC, QB, RB, TE, WR, 4/5 OL?

well, first, we didn't lose our OC...

second...

all of which garnered significant game experience last season.  our DL and secondary are going to be filthy, and i expect our RBs to do as good a job collectively as CEH...especially Emery (who was...literally...legally blind in one eye up until January when he finally had successful surgery).  WRs are going to be sick as fuck. OL is a bit thin, but we have a good foundation with Deculus, Ingram and Hines (Ingram and Deculus started multiple games; Hines was one of the first off the bench and played solid minutes in 10 games).

there's no replacing Burrow...period.  but Myles doesn't need to be Burrow...he needs to be himself.

we lost a shit ton, but we'll be more than okay.  they just need more first quarter snaps.

we won't be as good as last year...us LSU fans likely won't ever see anything like that again...but we'll be damn good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea, he worded that poorly. Y'all lost the person who constructed, installed, and called your offense. Not the coordinator though. 

Brady called plays from the 12 yd line and in...

STEVE ENSMINGER: Look, I have a game plan that's sitting right here. I'll be honest with you here. When we get in the red zone, 12 in, that's Joe Brady. Unless I want to run a play-action, go fast, we'll go. When we get inside the 12, I tell Joe, It's yours and he calls it.

Slinger called everything else.  

I'm shocked! Shocked! I tell you, that Texas fans don't just take their coaches at their word when they say ridiculous things that make no sense whatsoever.

Ensminger's offenses prior to last year looked like warmed over dog crap. Then last year happened, and Ensminger is telling us he had a lot to do with that. Okay, I guess so, since he said it.

giphy.webp

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I mean good on him for letting his protege (who had more job opportunities after this one season than he's ever had) play real coach in the most important area of the field. THAT'S how you teach. Selfless team player.

Not to mention the fact that Ensminger taught Brady everything he knows and there’s no way next season has a drop off in offensive production. The 5 stars are replaced with 5 stars - they RELOAD not rebuild. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tex Long said:

TIL if you trail by fewer than 10 points, late in the game, the correct call is to go for an iced field goal to win or get into o/t.

* if the ice hasn't melted in your locker room

Noooo dude. We're up by 9 going for a field goal to extend our lead. The clear strategy (and something very on brand for UTEP) is to use all your timeouts icing the kicker. 

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

... icing the kicker. 

Awhile back NFL'ers claimed iced kickers' success was slightly higher than non-iced. Dunno if that figures similarly in NC2A ball, but wouldn't surprise me a lot.

Stats, tho'... Probs taken with salt-grains. There should be no maths. Page [REDACTED] in The Binder™ - ICE 'IM.

Awhile back NFL'ers claimed iced kickers' success was slightly higher than non-iced. Dunno if that figures similarly in NC2A ball, but wouldn't surprise me a lot.
Stats, tho'... Probs taken with salt-grains. There should be no maths. Page [REDACTED] in The Binder - ICE 'IM.

That’s interesting. I don’t see it being the same in college football just because the number of kickers and etc

My impression is that he wants his corners to be aggressive and play that way, instead of what you're describing. And honestly, I agree with his approach and it goes towards the overall theme of simplifying scheme and letting athletes be athletes. 

Our guys need to play more disciplined, with better technique, with better teamwork, and with more consistency. Trying to blow guys up and confusing QBs is not always going to happen on this league. And it failed miserably this past season.

I’m less confident about this coach after this horrific powerpoint, which included a coach talking about a personal “brand”. DBU should not stand for douchebag U.

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Our guys need to play more disciplined, with better technique, with better teamwork, and with more consistency. Trying to blow guys up and confusing QBs is not always going to happen on this league. And it failed miserably this past season.

I’m less confident about this coach after this horrific powerpoint, which included a coach talking about a personal “brand”. DBU should not stand for douchebag U.

I think you're reading way too much into a couple of powerpoint slides that were specifically about mindset, not technique.

Also the personal brand thing is just about being know(n) for having the right attacking mindset and being good at football. Guys like Richard Sherman and Kenny Vaccaro would definitely agree - great DBs are rarely quiet monastic types.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I think you're reading way too much into a couple of powerpoint slides that were specifically about mindset, not technique.

Also the personal brand thing is just about being know(n) for having the right attacking mindset and being good at football. Guys like Richard Sherman and Kenny Vaccaro would definitely agree - great DBs are rarely quiet monastic types.

This shit here. 

The "brand" thing doesn't seem anything more than what he's promoting as his own mini culture within the DB room. And to a large extent, the greats of DBU all had this attribute.

I don't think they're going to skip technique and fundamentals in the spring syllabus. But reinstalling confidence in what the backfield is doing is what needs to happen, and this approach hopefully address it in spades. 

That was the mindset for Orlando’s defense. Killshots that drew penalties and injured our own guys. Fake toughness that fizzled when things got tough.

To defend Big12 offenses consistently you have to lose yourself and work as a team. Individual brand will get guys pointing fingers, sulking, and quitting. Vaccaro and Sherman would agree only after being part of great defenses.

Nevertheless, the only red flags are poor grammar by a coach in an official presentation and use of the term personal brand. It’s all sloppy and cringeworthy.

36 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

That was the mindset for Orlando’s defense. Killshots that drew penalties and injured our own guys. Fake toughness that fizzled when things got tough.

To defend Big12 offenses consistently you have to lose yourself and work as a team. Individual brand will get guys pointing fingers, sulking, and quitting. Vaccaro and Sherman would agree only after being part of great defenses.

Nevertheless, the only red flags are poor grammar by a coach in an official presentation and use of the term personal brand. It’s all sloppy and cringeworthy.

He's also young, and hired on the basis of having good chemistry with Chris Ash.  Trying too hard is to be expected for most guys in a position like that.  All we really need is for him to drive the armored truck and drop the bags off.

He's also young, and hired on the basis of having good chemistry with Chris Ash.  Trying too hard is to be expected for most guys in a position like that.  All we really need is for him to drive the armored truck and drop the bags off.

Two years ago we had one of the best secondary recruiting classes of all-time. This year we had one of the worst pass defenses I’ve ever seen - 1997 and 2007 were pretty close (giving up over 300 yards to Stephen McGee-geesh!)

We dont need bag men. We need coaches to develop talent and, for the love of God, can we play zone competently? I think that has a lot more to do with weak linebacking play over the years, but still.

18 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

Two years ago we had one of the best secondary recruiting classes of all-time. This year we had one of the worst pass defenses I’ve ever seen - 1997 and 2007 were pretty close (giving up over 300 yards to Stephen McGee-geesh!)

We dont need bag men. We need coaches to develop talent and, for the love of God, can we play zone competently? I think that has a lot more to do with weak linebacking play over the years, but still.

Ash is a solid secondary developer and preaches man coverage which we severely lacked last year. I think we will see a solid upswing.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Eskimohorn said:

right, but it can't hurt

1 hour ago, Eskimohorn said:

Objectively, you're wrong.  You need both.  What I'm saying is there's absolutely no point in complaining about Valai as a developer of talent when he's clearly the "young, high energy, culturally/demographically relatable" part of the equation.  Ash is the other side of the equation (that's the idea at least)

On 2/13/2020 at 4:22 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

well, first, we didn't lose our OC...

second...

all of which garnered significant game experience last season.  our DL and secondary are going to be filthy, and i expect our RBs to do as good a job collectively as CEH...especially Emery (who was...literally...legally blind in one eye up until January when he finally had successful surgery).  WRs are going to be sick as fuck. OL is a bit thin, but we have a good foundation with Deculus, Ingram and Hines (Ingram and Deculus started multiple games; Hines was one of the first off the bench and played solid minutes in 10 games).

there's no replacing Burrow...period.  but Myles doesn't need to be Burrow...he needs to be himself.

we lost a shit ton, but we'll be more than okay.  they just need more first quarter snaps.

we won't be as good as last year...us LSU fans likely won't ever see anything like that again...but we'll be damn good.

And your locker room has working A/C?