2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I don't think kids should have to sit out a year for transfers, but they should lose a year of eligibility, that they can earn back by graduating.

Good stuff.  If they sit out a year, they can keep all their years of eligibility

One possible addition...  If the first time a player transfers is after their junior year, and they are in good academic standing, then that player is immediately eligible to play at their new school as a senior.

I also like immediate eligibility only on the first transfer unless it's as a grad -transfer.

Edited by LTtxfan

5 hours ago, Sejjr said:

BlowU at #3? After losing their best offensive talent and returning shitbags on defense? 

#JLaw OK gif

They should probably be 4th behind Bama, but they only lose 6 starters, and there’s a good chance Rattler will be better by the end of 2020 than Hurts was last year. 

They’re only going to lose one or two games again this season. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

They should probably be 4th behind Bama, but they only lose 6 starters, and there’s a good chance Rattler will be better by the end of 2020 than Hurts was last year. 

They’re only going to lose one or two games again this season. 

What information are you using regarding Rattler? I get that he was highly rated. He hasn’t had rave reviews regarding anything but his arm as far as I’ve heard. 

I think the losses for OU are significant in two ways. 

1) replacement value - they lost 6 guys, and they happen to basically be their 6 best players unless you think Creed Humphrey is as solid as the hype. They’re not replacing those guys at an equal or better level on the field in 2020. Not saying some won’t ultimately be better, such as Rattler or a WR. 

2) depth - they bring back a bunch of trash on defense and they do not have a lot of help behind that trash. A rash of injuries and they’re cutting into bone. 

In short, I’m not with you for OU in 2020. I think they’re a 3-4 loss regular season team. 

Edited by closetojumping

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

In short, I’m not with you for OU in 2020. I think they’re a 3-4 loss regular season team. 

Wanted to check OU's schedule because I am not sure I would intially buy that they lose 3-4 games this year. I think they should be 4-0 going into Dallas as they don't have a particularly daunting non-con and yet again the conference sets them up with a nice home game before Dallas (unlike us). The last 1/3 of their schedule should also be easy as they play 3 of the expected conference dregs plus a revenge game at home against K-State. They probably win all 4 of these (though they will likely get a scare in Lubbock as they always do). So it comes down to the middle portion of the schedule in bold below. That is a tough stretch and it is conceivable they go no better than 2-2 in that stretch. So I think it is possible that they lose more than 2 this year but I am not sure I'll believe it until it happens. Texas should be one of their losses and it wouldn't surprise me if they got popped in Ames the week after. They'll still figure out a way to beat OSU though...

Sep 5 (Sat)    TBA    Home      Missouri State   Norman                                 
Sep 12 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Tennessee        Norman                                 
Sep 26 (Sat)   TBA    Away      Army             West Point, N.Y.                       
Oct 3 (Sat)    TBA    Home      Baylor           Norman                                 
Oct 10 (Sat)   TBA    Neutral   Texas            Dallas, Texas                          
Oct 17 (Sat)   TBA    Away      Iowa State       Ames, Iowa                             
Oct 24 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Oklahoma State   Norman                                 
Oct 31 (Sat)   TBA    Away      TCU              Fort Worth, Texas                      
Nov 7 (Sat)    TBA    Away      West Virginia    Morgantown, W.V.                       
Nov 14 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Kansas State     Norman                                 
Nov 21 (Sat)   TBA    Home      Kansas           Norman                                 
Nov 28 (Sat)   TBA    Away      Texas Tech       Lubbock, Texas

One other interesting thing I noticed just perusing...anyone care to take a case at which OU game is showing the highest current ticket resale value after the Texas game? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What information are you using regarding Rattler? I get that he was highly rated. He hasn’t had rave reviews regarding anything but his arm as far as I’ve heard. 

I think the losses for OU are significant in two ways. 

1) replacement value - they lost 6 guys, and they happen to basically be their 6 best players unless you think Creed Humphrey is as solid as the hype. They’re not replacing those guys at an equal or better level on the field in 2020. Not saying some won’t ultimately be better, such as Rattler or a WR. 

2) depth - they bring back a bunch of trash on defense and they do not have a lot of help behind that trash. A rash of injuries and they’re cutting into bone. 

Rattler looked good in garbage time this year, and he’s a 5 star who’s had a year to figure out the system. everything I’ve seen is that Riley’s extremely high on Rattler. OU not even looking into a GT QB seems to confirm this. Plus, being better than Hurts isn’t that high of a bar. Riley’s system creates a ton of yards, so Rattler doesn’t have to be great to put up crazy numbers. They also bring back their entire starting 5 at OL, and Bedenbaugh might be the best OL coach in the country, so I think their OL will take a big jump forward. 

They bring back some solid players on D. They won’t be able to fully replace Murray, but they still have som good players guys like Perkins, White, and Redmond. Plus they get Norwood back who’s a good DB. They won’t be great on D and they’ll have some depth issues, but they’ll still be solid. 

Part of the 1 or 2 losses prediction is that their schedule is really easy. They have Tenn at home OOC and the three best teams in conference are OU, UT, and Ok St. Until Ok. st. avoids shitting the bed against OU, I’m counting that as a win for OU, and this year’s game is in Norman. At ISU May be a tough one for them, but their offense will carry them against most other teams. So basically, the UT game is more or less a coin flip and they’re pretty big favorites in almost every other game. Maybe they lose one they shouldn’t, like they have most years, but even if they do that and lose to us or ISU, that’s still only 2 losses. If they were the ones who had to play in Baton Rouge, I’d adjust their expectation down to 2-3 losses, but the easy schedule is a big factor for them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Rattler looked good in garbage time this year, and he’s a 5 star who’s had a year to figure out the system. everything I’ve seen is that Riley’s extremely high on Rattler. OU not even looking into a GT QB seems to confirm this. Plus, being better than Hurts isn’t that high of a bar. Riley’s system creates a ton of yards, so Rattler doesn’t have to be great to put up crazy numbers. They also bring back their entire starting 5 at OL, and Bedenbaugh might be the best OL coach in the country, so I think their OL will take a big jump forward. 

They bring back some solid players on D. They won’t be able to fully replace Murray, but they still have som good players guys like Perkins, White, and Redmond. Plus they get Norwood back who’s a good DB. They won’t be great on D and they’ll have some depth issues, but they’ll still be solid. 

Part of the 1 or 2 losses prediction is that their schedule is really easy. They have Tenn at home OOC and the three best teams in conference are OU, UT, and Ok St. Until Ok. st. avoids shitting the bed against OU, I’m counting that as a win for OU, and this year’s game is in Norman. At ISU May be a tough one for them, but their offense will carry them against most other teams. So basically, the UT game is more or less a coin flip and they’re pretty big favorites in almost every other game. Maybe they lose one they shouldn’t, like they have most years, but even if they do that and lose to us or ISU, that’s still only 2 losses. If they were the ones who had to play in Baton Rouge, I’d adjust their expectation down to 2-3 losses, but the easy schedule is a big factor for them. 

I think you severely underestimate Hurts in your assessment. I understand his throwing limitations. I still think you underrate what he brings to the table for a program. 

Riley is facing negative recruiting as it pertains to the QB position. He lost Bryce Young in part because he didn't have a proof point about developing a QB and starting him from the high school level as HC. Rattler or bust on that one for him. I don't think you should look at the lack of GT interest as indicative of performance. 

Beyond that, we have a bet. You're saying CFP contender to the end. I'm saying 3+ loss team before the bowl game. 

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think you severely underestimate Hurts in your assessment. I understand his throwing limitations. I still think you underrate what he brings to the table for a program. 

Riley is facing negative recruiting as it pertains to the QB position. He lost Bryce Young in part because he didn't have a proof point about developing a QB and starting him from the high school level as HC. Rattler or bust on that one for him. I don't think you should look at the lack of GT interest as indicative of performance. 

Beyond that, we have a bet. You're saying CFP contender to the end. I'm saying 3+ loss team before the bowl game. 

WHO'S IT GONNA BE?!?!

main-qimg-7b91d83595bb414e2da625ca8ad516

24 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

In fact, OU has not developed a good to great college QB they've recruited out of HS since Sam Bradford. They've been the beneficiary of transfers the last 5 years that have worked out fantastically. That is an incredible run that is probably a statistical anomaly and 2 of those guys transferred when Stoops was still HC. Even if Riley knows Rattler is a headcase, he has to play the long game here otherwise he will never be able to sign top QB's in the future.

On 2/18/2020 at 10:12 AM, satyanash said:

Iowa State and Okie Lite return a lot of key pieces. Between those two, blOU, and the wildcard that is LSU (all depends on how their talent gels w/ new coaches), there are at least three likely losses on the regular-season slate.

I will bet you the rights to the other poster's avatar for one year that Texas goes better than 1-3 against those four teams next year. You say that out of those four games there are "at least" three "likely" losses so this is an easy bet for you.

42 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I will bet you the rights to the other poster's avatar for one year that Texas goes better than 1-3 against those four teams next year. You say that out of those four games there are "at least" three "likely" losses so this is an easy bet for you.

Is satyanash ASL for Lana?

danger zone archer GIF

1 hour ago, PencilPusher said:

In fact, OU has not developed a good to great college QB they've recruited out of HS since Sam Bradford. They've been the beneficiary of transfers the last 5 years that have worked out fantastically. That is an incredible run that is probably a statistical anomaly and 2 of those guys transferred when Stoops was still HC. Even if Riley knows Rattler is a headcase, he has to play the long game here otherwise he will never be able to sign top QB's in the future.

Uh, Sam's replacement was a good college QB, and he came from HS. It's fair to say that Riley hasn't recruited a HS QB that he has developed since he has been at OU, as OC and HC.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Fine. If only to establish that I don't consider my concerns baseless or rooted in anything other than genuine prognostication.

One year's access to our respective avatars says we won't beat two of LSU, blOU, Iowa State, and Okie Lite this season.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Fine. If only to establish that I don't consider my concerns baseless or rooted in anything other than genuine prognostication.

One year's access to our respective avatars says we won't beat two of LSU, blOU, Iowa State, and Okie Lite this season.

Oh shit! It's on!

• Like 4

10 hours ago, satyanash said:

giphy.gif

This is going to be absolutely incredible. I think Surly, as a collective whole, needs to start preparing avatar ideas now, and gifs/memes that already exist may not even be good enough. 
We need to put our best men on this. @TreatyOak @RamjetFDO @Sejjr @Thujone 

• Like 2

Here’s the football portion of The Eyes.

FOOTBALL COACHES, ANALYSTS GETTING ON SAME PAGE

In addition to all of Tom Herman’s assistant coaches getting to know each other and getting their collective thoughts on Longhorns’ players after watching extensive film the past month, Herman is adding a couple of analysts.

Texas confirmed our report that Herman had hired former N.C. State defensive coordinator Dave Huxtable.

And then Brian Davis of the Statesman tweeted “Everett Withers’ hiring as an offensive analyst may/may not happen.”

I’m told, as we reported earlier this week, Withers’ hiring is happening. (It’s just pending a routine background check for all university hires).

Huxtable is a longtime confidante of defensive coordinator Chris Ash (dating back to their days coaching at Wisconsin together in 2011 when Ash was defensive coordinator and Huxtable coached linebackers).

Withers, who has spent most of his 30-year coaching career on the defensive side of the ball, will have an interesting role as an “offensive” analyst for Herman, whom Withers coached with at Ohio State in 2012-13.

In the offensive meeting room, Withers will serve as a defensive sounding board for UT’s offensive coaches while the offensive game plan is being put together, sources said.

“Coach Withers will know the defensive personnel of the upcoming opponent and will be able to say to the offensive coaches what plays should stress that defense,” one team source said.

PRE-SPRING FOOTBALL NUGGETS

So how does Ash view his personnel in the back end of his defense heading into spring football, which begins March 24 and concludes with the Orange-White Game on April 25?

According to a team source, in addition to Anthony Cook moving from corner to nickel and Josh Thompson moving from nickel to corner, Ash wants to see Chris Adimora at nickel - in addition to Cook - and plans to have B.J. Foster (out for spring following shoulder surgery) battle at safety with Caden Sterns, Chris Brown, Tyler Owens and Montrell Estell.

Adimora excelled at nickel late last season, making plays whenever he got on the field. There is excitement among the coaches about what Adimora can do as a sophomore after capping his freshman season with a nice pass breakup deep down the field in a win over Utah in the Alamo Bowl.

Cornerback figures to be a great battle headlined by Jalen Green, D'Shawn Jamison, Thompson, Kenyatta Watson and Marques Caldwell.

At linebacker, a team source said DeMarvion Overshown will get competition at weak side linebacker from David Gbenda.

Meanwhile, Ayodele Adeoye , who  is out for the spring with a foot injury, will likely get competition at middle linebacker from Marcus Tillman Jr. once he’s recovered from the season-ending knee injury (ACL) Tillman suffered against Oklahoma State last season.

I’d heard speculation that running back Daniel Young could get a look at linebacker in the spring, but a team source said Wednesday that was NOT currently in the works.

Some have wondered if Foster could be spun down to linebacker. A team source said Foster “may never be big enough to be a full-time Will (weakside linebacker). But we’ll keep letting him grow to see if he does.”

58 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

As a pure baseline, here are some good starting points, 

source.gif

giphy.gif

using one of those would cause of surly to get immediately eager whenever the posts

TZXMSMOTQZPCKKS.20030810183752.jpg?width

DTNhuFgV4AAAaui.jpg

DONVMYmVQAAiRA2.jpg

Lest we forget satya’s rich Indian heritage...

source.gif

source.gif

This one has some real photoshop potential

www.shogdar_deav.gif

@Katfid54 ideas?

I vote for no animated gifs. Simplicity is the key. For Satya, I think the obvious choices are to start with a pic of Liucci or Daddy98. 

closetojumping said:
"Severely underestimate Hurts in your assessment. I understand his throwing limitations. I still think you underrate what he brings to the table for a program." 

Burt Macklin said:
They also bring back their entire starting 5 at OL, and Bedenbaugh might be the best OL coach in the country, so I think their OL will take a big jump forward. 

They bring back some solid players on D...They won’t be great on D and they’ll have some depth issues, but they’ll still be solid. 

Part of the 1 or 2 losses prediction is that their schedule is really easy. 

Macklin's right here. One thing that should be remembered is that OU had a lot of close game luck last year (Sooners went 5-1 in one score games). So saying OU is better doesn't mean that they won't lose more games in the regular season. That said, expectations are high. Riley's supposedly been telling people next year will be his best team so far.

The offense should be better because the OL will be better (4 first year starters last year and that was the worst OL at OU since early season 2015). The OL being better will make life easier for OU's new QB. Plus, when the GT pull game is going, this offense is tough. 

Rattler may be a headcase, but OU's succeeded with two QBs, Mayfield and Murray, who were not model teammates. Apparently the WR and RB hated Hurts by the end of the year because he was a scramble-first QB who couldn't throw a deep ball, and he stole carries from the RBs. 

True, OU's defense loses its best player at each level from last year. However, to definitely say they'll be worse next year means that none of the current players or recruits won't make advances. OU's defense grew as the season progressed. I actually think the improvement the Sooner defense made early on in the year was overrated. I was more impressed with the play down the stretch (except LSU, but who remembers that game?). 

In sum, I think OU's defense will be at least as good as last year's and the offense will be better because of the improved OL play. OU has lost 1 or 2 games in the regular season each of the past five years so saying two losses is pretty safe with this schedule. 

Cross posting for fyi...

Texas: Texas regents have approved contracts for several assistant coaches Brian Davis has shared. Mike Yurcich gets a 3 year deal at $1.7 million per year. Chris Ash has a two year deal worth $800,000. Jay Boulware (special teams / tight ends) gets a three year deal at $700,000 per year and Coleman Hutzler (linebackers) gets a two year deal at $600,000 per. Real money.

• Boulware - $470k+ bonuses last yr blOU
  • Yurcich - $950k+ bonuses at ohio state
  • Hutzler - $475+ bonuses at s.carolina

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Any idea if Anwar is full of shit again, or if not why Kennedy Lewis is suspended? 

https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/22/report-kennedy-lewis-temporarily-suspended/

We kinda need some WRs to step up this Spring, so this is precisely the wrong time for him to gst himself suspended. 

Literally a couple posts above you. No one knows, but grades would check the right boxes.