2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

IT had something about him in the humidor today, but I haven't seen it on here yet.  This is the mention of him I've seen since he enrolled in January.

Wouldn't be the first lineman to get to college and immediately gain 20 bad pounds at the dining hall before losing it back. Luckily he doesn't need to play big minutes next year at all.

IT had something about him in the humidor today, but I haven't seen it on here yet.  This is the first mention of him I've seen since he enrolled in January.
Also, saw this, if he's 300 lbs it doesn't look like bad weight.
https://mobile.twitter.com/thekid_bigv/status/1235330655434813441
That's not 300 pounds at his height.

Broughton huge and athletic.  It’s going to be hard for him not to gain weight as his body develops but he should still easily be able to play outside at 300lbs.  He’s going to spin down eventually.

If we can get Coburn to stay another year, imagine next years line with Coburn, Ojomo, Broughton, Collins, Jatavion Sanders.  That’s a championship level DL.

3 hours ago, texifornia said:

Maybe don't suckerpunch Kerstetter this time around

Now that we are in a 4-man front I think this guy is going to have a big impact.  His JUCO film showed a guy that could get to the QB.  He was wasted playing as an undersized 4i.

2 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Isnt there a new student crew handling graphics year?

There's new graphics interns every year but the guys in charge (Lange and Turnquist if I remember their names right) are professionals, and they're the ones that will be setting the style guidelines and making sure everything is up the right level of quality.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, texifornia said:

This offseason's graphic design style is looking uncomfortably Oklahoma State-y

A mystery that all of UT can't seem to solve.  

I heard CDC give an answer about our colors something along the lines of the dyes don't come out the right color after they dry or some such BS. 

I have T shirts that are Burnt Orange that I bought from Wal Mart.  

Someone can get the color right. 

Sort of unrelated to the team, but Kenny Vaccaro is a professional gamer in the off season. He hosts a twitch stream daily. He’s hosting a stream right now with Alex Okafor if y’all want to hop in there & support.

Edited by CastHorn

Scipio Tex: Big Picture Spring Program Thoughts

Texas will hold its spring game on April 25th this year. That's a late Spring game and I'm warming to the idea. Texas also has a lot of work to do. Let's talk about some of it...

System Familiarity/Position Teaching

It's not just about the players getting accustomed to new roles and a new system, but pulling through the basic positional teaching that has been missing from the program in several key areas. Beyond my systemic criticisms of Orlando or the inconsistent offense over the second half of the season, it went much deeper. At minimum, this was a poorly coached football team in the secondary, at WR, at LB. And the system didn't play to team strengths on the DL. When Malcolm Roach drops a 1.68 10 yard split at the combine at 296 pounds and Texas couldn't find a way to let him take gaps or attack the passer more effectively (meanwhile, Ossai plays his position of the week) for a defense that was blitz heavy but pressure poor, you're not playing the hand very well.

If the coaches can create a conceptual understanding of the larger system now, there's that much more time to devote in the spring practices to teaching players football and developing their skill level. Everyone will be writing and talking about the system install. That's fine. I'll be tuned in to teaching at the position level. A system is only as good as the player's ability to understand and execute it with the tools God and his position coach gave him. The way to beat college offenses isn't reliably outguessing the opposing offensive coordinator. It's putting talent out on the field that understands the scheme they're running, but with the individual autonomy to read, react, and be football players, not just mindless Xs running to spots. No more gridiron Battleship.

Staff Reflection

The players need to keep their eyes on the prize and forget 2019. Clean slate. The staff needs to probe some dark nooks and crannies from 2019, focusing not on evaluating player performance, but on the staff performance. Just saying that there's a new staff isn't sufficient. The buck stops on Herman's desk and at least some of our problems emanated from him. What was with the clock management and play selection in close games like Iowa State? Why such incredibly poor play calling on 4th downs all year? If you want to be a 4th and Go coach (which I'm all about) that's not the time to crap yourself scanning the play sheet.

Did the offense get stale over the course of the year? Why specifically? We all like Herb Hand, but his offensive line fell apart in pass protection stats over the course of the season. What percentage of that was on the play call, RB pickup, poor WR routes, Sam holding the ball too long? What was purely on the OL? Why does Hand have a rep for struggling at times with moving fronts and the post-set tactics of Grinch's OU defense? Why did we lose to an objectively poor TCU?

Physical Development

While redshirts and third stringers can make physical strides during the season if S&C works them out on a more intensive schedule than the rest of the team, the 1st and 2nd teams on the depth chart are trying their best to hold on to their abilities, if not deteriorate. Most deteriorate. Fortunately, they get it back fast. But stasis isn't the ultimate goal.

Winter and summer conditioning are when players get bigger, stronger, faster, quicker. Texas played its last game on December 31st. That's 116 days until the start of Spring practice. From the end of Spring practice until early August Fall Camp reporting is, conveniently, another 116 days. Beyond the lovely symmetry, once you factor in rests, you have about 100 days of pure developmental workouts on either end of the Spring game. Exactly the time period you'd love to periodize lifting and running, have an active rest interlude (i.e. practicing football) and then start the process all over before Fall camp. S&C coaches have to manufacture those natural de-loading breaks with an early Spring game. The symmetry on either end of the late April game makes for easy planning and goal setting.

Injury Recovery

I beg forgiveness for naming THAT WHICH SHOULD NOT BE NAMED but it's relevant. Texas trades extended post 2019 season healing on the front end for a shorter window before Fall camp. It's really a wash either way, but if your goal is to have the healthiest roster possible going into Spring camp to maximize reps and install, you want a late April date. Should Texas sustain some 4-6 or 6-8 week recovery type injuries, those players are still good for Fall. A major injury is a year either way.

Attitude, Toughness & Teaching

Tom Herman likes to talk about attitude and toughness. Many of his former assistants echoed his sentiments about attitude and toughness. That's because attitude and toughness are important attributes for football. Necessary attributes in fact. There's also some other stuff. Attitude and toughness absent training and teaching is the tough confident guy at the bar who gets pounded by the skilled guy who knows how to fight. The skilled guy is also appropriately confident. In that scenario, untrained toughness may actually play against your best health interests. I don't doubt Longhorn toughness. I do doubt our training.

When this coaching staff talks this spring and summer, I'll be interested to see how much they talk about teaching and fundamentals beyond the platitudes. Because if it's all just attitude and toughness redux, I'm not sure the guy who just had to fire 70% of his last staff did the necessary introspection. "You know, a football coach is nothing more than a teacher. You teach them the same subject, and you have a new group of guys every year." - DKR

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

COVID-19: Entire Power Five conferences are suspending all athletic related activities, including spring practices & recruiting.

Update: The NCAA has now canceled all winter and spring championship events.

Well, we'll see how many "athlete-organized" practices happen this spring. 

5 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Can't wait til these universities go full online and fire all the stupid ass professors, pencil pushers, and rapists.

Uh.... who do you think teaches those classes? And, like, what do you think is the point of a university in general?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Does Tom cancel the spring game so we can't call for Yurchich and Ash's heads before the season starts? 

Yurcich's offense can't even score a single point in spring ball, and Ash's defense can't stop a head cold, and you think Surly is gonna let up on either of them just because of a technicality? Moose out front, man, moose out front. Fire the bums!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

If no spring ball, maybe the players will be more healthy for fall camp??

Maybe?? 😁

Meathead breaks our players during fall camp.

Hopefully what this means is that our coaches will actually game plan and prepare in the spring vs. the "we didn't watch any film" and eliminate the number of pre-season dumbass, meathead decisions for his team.

Edited by Goodman

11 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Meathead breaks our players during fall camp.

Hopefully what this means is that our coaches will actually game plan and prepare in the spring vs. the "we didn't watch any film" and eliminate the number of pre-season dumbass, meathead decisions for his team.

Spring Cleaning... Mensa please burn the Binder!!🔥🔥🔥

On 3/7/2020 at 1:03 PM, Reese Bennett said:

People always forgetting about this guy, who I think will only get better.

spacer.png

@Reese Bennett Yah may be prophetic on Mr. Sweat!!!

(Thx to @Hornsfan91 for this)

IT Friday’s Humidor 

Scipio: Winter and summer conditioning are when players get bigger, stronger, faster, quicker. Texas played its last game on December 31st. That's 116 days until the start of Spring practice. From the end of Spring practice until early August Fall Camp reporting is, conveniently, another 116 days. Beyond the lovely symmetry, once you factor in rests, you have about 100 days of pure developmental workouts on either end of the Spring game. Exactly the time period you'd love to periodize lifting and running, have an active rest interlude (i.e. practicing football) and then start the process all over before Fall camp. S&C coaches have to manufacture those natural de-loading breaks with an early Spring game. The symmetry on either end of the late April game makes for easy planning and goal setting. 

As posted above, squat max testing was canceled, but they already did power cleans and bench. I asked a source about improved strength and he replied, "To put it in perspective, Kobe Boyce power cleaned 300 pounds. We know he weighs, what, 175 pounds? It'd be easier to mention who didn't clean in the 300's. I heard Ossai got 380 and Cosmi 405! On bench, most impressive I heard was Ta'Quon Graham at 435, Cosmi at 415, and Roschon Johnson at 370. That's a big number for Roschon. I'm pretty sure Junior Angilau was in the 400s as well. Everybody's numbers are going up."

What about speed? "As far as I know they didn't test for it beyond 10-yard splits earlier in the spring. I know guys are dropping bad weight and getting stronger so I imagine they're moving better. A lot of the recent conditioning has been football related; individual drill work, pursuit drills, that sort of stuff. I've told you they want the fastest team in America. They might have the guys for it."

Latest takeaways on personnel. I asked our guy to offer current thoughts and anything else he's hearing:

• -- Thinks Brennan Eagles will be the breakout player on offense. He says he's not seeing much stiffness and he's still explosive at 235 pounds. That may seem like a lot of weight but Eagles came in with a build that was going to get big. Same with freshman Troy Omeire. There's no stopping these guys once they're in a regimented lifting and eating program.
  • -- The source thinks Kenyatta Watson may have the most upside of all the corners. I don't want that to sound like 'the best quarterback is always the backup' but there's a lot of excitement around the redshirt freshman. It is a tad bit surprising given how big he is (around 205 pounds already) and the new staff's emphasis on coverage ability. The previous staff emphasized ability in run support more than this one.
  • -- To that end, if Chris Adimora holds off Anthony Cook at nickel (assuming practice is held) it's possible Cook sees time at safety. They're looking to get their best group on the field.
  • -- Tom Herman loves D'Shawn Jamison and so do the new coaches. He seems a lock to start at corner. They just have to get him more consistent. He's going to remain at KR/PR too.
  • -- Jalen Green's shoulder still hasn't healed 100%. That's going to be something to monitor. They're going to try Josh Thompson at corner early on but safety might be his best fit. They love his athleticism. Same old story, tons of defensive backs.
  • -- There's some hype over the the duo of Juwan Mitchell and DeMarvion Overshown. Obviously Overshown needs to prove durable and needs refinement but they think he can be an amazing blitzer while also offering range. I'm urging caution here.
  • -- T'Vondre Sweat is coming on to the point our guy is predicting he'll start next to Coburn, which would keep Graham at defensive end. "Graham isn't the most explosive edge guy but this group up front would really help the young linebackers."
  • -- Still no clue what happens between H and Z at wide receiver. "I just don't see how you can't have both Smith and Whittington on the field together. Whittington might be the best player on the team, not kidding. Moore might be as fast as Smith, but isn't the playmaker and I don't think he'll be as reliable." Sounds like a soft prediction of Smith to Z.

Part II tomorrow will cover recruiting and probably a little bit more.

• Like 2

Rumor I heard today from a source close to a UT professor, classes are being canceled for the rest of the academic year, and campus may be closed until the end of 2020. Please note I said rumor, because the LHF email I got today said that sports were canceled for the rest of the spring/summer and the school is closed until the end of March.

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Rumor I heard today from a source close to a UT professor, classes are being canceled for the rest of the academic year, and campus may be closed until the end of 2020. Please note I said rumor, because the LHF email I got today said that sports were canceled for the rest of the spring/summer and the school is closed until the end of March.

From a current student: Spring break (this week) got extended an extra week, so at the earliest that spring ball could start is March 30th.

Everything else is speculation, but teachers have been telling students to prepare for campus to be closed for the remainder of the semester and for classes to be moved online. This all came before yesterday. For those that don’t know, Fenves’ wife tested positive COVID yesterday, meaning that multiple UT staffers will have it. 

TLDR, no one knows what the future holds, but it would not be a shock to see spring ball get outright cancled

Eagles @ 235 holy shit. What did he play at last year? 

2019 roster listed him 6'4 @ 225

I did not think he was that big at all. Figured he was 6'1 or 6'2 and about 210. 

That's a big m'fer that can run

Edited by cam4mav

5 hours ago, dilloncp98 said:

From a current student: Spring break (this week) got extended an extra week, so at the earliest that spring ball could start is March 30th.

Everything else is speculation, but teachers have been telling students to prepare for campus to be closed for the remainder of the semester and for classes to be moved online. This all came before yesterday. For those that don’t know, Fenves’ wife tested positive COVID yesterday, meaning that multiple UT staffers will have it. 

TLDR, no one knows what the future holds, but it would not be a shock to see spring ball get outright cancled

if you are going to quarantine people. quarantine the team together. 

and they can all practice while all quarantined together 

• Like 2