2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

50 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

247VIP articles available without subscription today only  (Wed May 27th)Texas Morning Brew: Offense needs 45-point average, says Yurcich 

VIP By FUCK CHIP BROWN   3 hours ago   https://247sports.com/college/texas/article/texas-longhorns-football-mike-yurcich-tom-herman-average-45-blake-jarwin-147547510/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

Opened up a link this morning that contains all the headlines regarding Texas football.

opening_the_flood_gates.png

Alfred Collins 300 lbs, Sleeper recruits that will help Texas win in 2020, etc.., etc.. Sure seems like the $9.95 crowd has the kool-aid flowing. Things are getting close but yet so far due to paying for tickets but who knows about attending games.

On 5/26/2020 at 8:14 AM, SwanderedTalent said:

If Del Conte were to pull the plug on this group at the end of the 2020 season, Herman would be owed $15 million and buying out his staff would cost roughly $10 million.

shit, we can go 5-7 and Herman will be back in 2021

Should've done it last year but they'll pull the trigger if they have to. CDC is going to have to fire the head football and basketball coach in the same year which will suck. Shaka was supposed to go before The Rona. Really fucked up the schedule.

1 hour ago, DanTheHorn said:

Opened up a link this morning that contains all the headlines regarding Texas football.

opening_the_flood_gates.png

Alfred Collins 300 lbs, Sleeper recruits that will help Texas win in 2020, etc.., etc.. Sure seems like the $9.95 crowd has the kool-aid flowing. Things are getting close but yet so far due to paying for tickets but who knows about attending games.

is that championship-level piss kool-aid?

From Max Olson and the Athletic. 

AUSTIN, Texas — Tom Herman is back in his office. Well, not his office. Not even close.

Herman is operating out of a 12 x 12 office in the compliance wing of the seventh floor of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium’s north side. This room has been stuffed with photos and mementos, and there’s just enough room for a couch. But Herman won’t ever bring recruits and their families in here. There’s not nearly enough space. He finally returned to this temporary home base last week to begin preparing for the arrival of Texas players and some semblance of normalcy.

Herman and his coaches will be crammed into these humble offices for a long time. Texas’ $200 million south end zone project is an 18-month effort that will yield a pristine new football facility. You have to trade short-term comfort for long-term supremacy. On a Friday morning in early March, the entrance to the Moncrief-Neuhaus Athletic Center met its demise. A yellow crane, parked on a bed of rubble, was swiftly ripping the roof apart and tearing it down. As Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte likes to say, Texas’ football office was built for Royal and last remodeled for John Mackovic. New is long overdue. When Herman saw the video of the front door of his program being shredded, he smiled.

Texas officials spent months plotting out how their displaced football program would operate on the north side of the stadium. The weight room was relocated to a rec center basketball court. The eighth-floor Touchdown Club was converted into the team meeting room. Suites became tutoring spaces. The team moved out of their renovated $7 million locker room at the end of the fall semester and into the stadium’s outdated visitor locker room.

Just as the Longhorns were going to start spring ball in their new setup, they were displaced all over again, with coaches and players sent home for two months due to COVID-19. As players get ready to return to campus on June 15, they’re having to rethink it all over again with everyone’s health and safety in mind.

For Texas, it’s been an offseason full of change following a season of disappointment. The Longhorns won eight games, dominated No. 11 Utah in the Alamo Bowl and finished in the AP Top 25. And nobody found that satisfying. The head coach tore his coaching staff down to the studs in December and hired seven new assistants. Now Herman is hard at work on a Texas reboot for 2020.

“I like this team,” Herman said from his downsized office in March. “I think there’s a lot of guys that learned lessons from last year. You can’t just put it on autopilot and expect 10 wins and New Year’s Six bowl games to just fall out of the sky.”

The head coach learned a lot of hard lessons, too. His Longhorns were clearly on the right trajectory exiting 2018. And then, at some point last fall, they clearly weren’t. At a place like this, one frustrating season is all it takes to crank up the pressure. But there’s reason to believe, too. They’ve got more than enough talent and experience to be dangerous in Year 4 of Herman’s tenure. And that’s what makes Texas one of the more fascinating wild cards in college football this offseason.

The new and improved DKR will be completed in time for the start of the 2021 season. Will the Longhorns be ready for big things by then? After a rough few months of deconstruction and introspection, Herman believes they’re back on track toward building a championship program worthy of its soon-to-be superior surroundings.

The game that convinced Herman something was wrong wasn’t Kansas or TCU. It was Oklahoma.

Red River is the ultimate measurement of any Texas season, the midseason bowl game with the highest of stakes. Oklahoma beating Texas 34-27 last October will be remembered for CeeDee Lamb making defenders miss over and over again and for new Sooners defensive coordinator Alex Grinch, who called one heck of a game as Oklahoma racked up nine sacks. What bothered Herman most: Texas prides itself on being the tough, physical team in this rivalry, and they definitely weren’t on that Saturday afternoon.

“It was the first time since we’ve been here that I felt like we got out-physical-ed,” Herman said. “To have them show up and beat us the way they beat us was embarrassing. There was a lot of self-reflection, because we had kind of changed a little bit.”

Injuries had put them in a tough spot early on. Four scholarship running backs got hurt in camp. Five scholarship defensive backs went down early in the season. So they cut back in practice and weren’t as physical as Herman usually demands because, as he put it, “we were just trying to make it to Saturday.” They got away with that for a few weeks, winning a hard-fought Big 12 opener against Oklahoma State and knocking off West Virginia on the road. Against Oklahoma, though, Herman felt they’d paid a heavy price for how they’d prepared.

“On that Tuesday, we went out and I said we’re never gonna feel that way coming off a football field again,” he said. “So we kinda went back to the way we used to practice, which was tough for the kids, especially the young kids, because they’re used to one way and then all the sudden you hit ’em in the mouth in the middle of the season. They didn’t respond well to that.”

The Longhorns looked even worse the next week against 2-4 Kansas, surviving a wild 50-48 shootout that came down to a game-winning field goal. “It’s inexcusable,” Herman said. His understandable fear exiting that low point? “We’re never gonna stop anybody the rest of the year,” he said. And then Texas lost three of its next five, a stretch of uneven and unpredictable performances. Yes, the Todd Orlando-led defense regressed and gave up more passing yards than any team in UT history. But the Longhorn offense that should’ve been able to bail them out of trouble was held under 30 points in four consecutive games.

The obvious excuse Texas’ staff could point to on that run to 7-5 was the long list of key players who missed games or were banged up. And when they got a month to heal up and trounced the Pac-12 runner-up in a 38-10 Alamo Bowl victory, that was the resounding message: Look how good Texas is when they’re healthy. But if Herman really believed injuries were the only issue, he could’ve run it back in 2020 with the same staff and dismissed the 2019 campaign as an anomaly. He knew it wasn’t that simple.

Injuries put a program’s player development to the test. Herman didn’t like what he saw on defense. When six of Texas’ top defenders missed games last season, the head coach sensed their backups weren’t ready. “I look around the country and people are playing true freshmen on defense all the time,” he said. “That shouldn’t be an excuse with the way we recruit at Texas. Develop ’em or figure out what they can do and let ’em do it really fast.” Considering the Longhorns had just signed back-to-back top-three recruiting classes, he has a point. Maybe the defense was too complex for those young players. Maybe they needed to pivot to a much simpler attack, learning to play fast with just a few fronts and coverages. Whatever the reason, the results were concerning.

“We weren’t ready with the guys behind them,” he said. “And at Texas, you should be ready.”

When things are going bad, though, you have to be careful about finger-pointing. After losing 23-21 at Iowa State in mid-November, Herman was asked if he simply got outcoached that afternoon. His reply: “No, I’d never say we got outcoached.” Two days later, he brought up that line early on in his Monday press conference. He wanted to clarify what he meant and take responsibility. “Any time you lose a game,” he acknowledged, “you’re outcoached.” It’s on the coaches, not the players, when a season goes sideways. The head coach had to own it. And he had a lot to think about.

Weeks before the regular season was over, it seemed clear Herman was getting ready to clean house. And the dread hanging over that final month was miserable.

“It was really hard,” Herman said. “I mean, (safeties coach) Craig Naivar got me the job interview with David Bailiff at Texas State. I went to the hospital when his daughter was born. She’s now a junior in high school. Those guys have been through a lot with me. But … I mean, I’ve got a job to do, too.”

Herman points to the Longhorn logo on his polo and taps it as he adds, “I’ve gotta be loyal to this and do what’s right for this.”

Herman won’t soon forget that Sunday. It was Dec. 1, the day after Texas beat Texas Tech to move to 7-5. Now it was time for what he calls “by far — not even close — the hardest thing I’ve ever done.” He called Orlando into his office and handed him the folder with his termination instructions.

“I said, ‘Todd, I’m going in another direction,’ ” Herman recalled. “He said, ‘I know. I let you down.’ I said, ‘No. I let you down.’ ”

Before Orlando walked out of their office for the last time, Herman remembers he stopped by to say one last thing.

“He goes, ‘Hey, Tom. We got all emotional and all that and I forgot to say something: Thank you. For giving me a shot, for believing in me, for bringing me to Texas.’ ”

And thus began the longest two months of Herman’s head coaching career. Orlando was out. So was receivers coach Drew Mehringer, who landed at Florida Atlantic. Fellow receivers coach Corby Meekins was reassigned and would leave for a job at Houston. Tim Beck was stripped of his offensive coordinator title and went to NC State. After the bowl game, special teams coordinator and tight ends coach Derek Warehime took the OC job at New Mexico. Cornerbacks coach Jason Washington landed a gig at Mississippi State. Naivar followed Orlando to USC. Six of those seven coaches Texas cut ties with had been with Herman at Houston. Orlando’s defensive success there, stopping the likes of Lamar Jackson and Baker Mayfield, is arguably one of the biggest reasons Herman is at Texas today.

The process of not just firing your friends but preparing for a bowl game while also recruiting and hustling to find the right hires who could help Texas get back on track was exhausting. When Herman opened the hood on his program during this period, he tried to do so honestly. You can’t put all the blame on the assistants. He had to recognize his failings and make changes, too.

“On offense, I felt like we got stale,” he admits. “Me calling plays for two years, I had become a jack of all trades and a master of none. I wasn’t a very good offensive coordinator and I obviously wasn’t a very good head coach. And I knew I can’t do this another year. I was running myself ragged trying to play both roles.”

Herman turned to Ohio State’s Mike Yurcich to run the offense, a coordinator he says he’d come “very close” to hiring in the past who checks all the boxes: philosophical fit, proven Big 12 success, likes tempo, knows how to tailor his offense around his best players. “He’s really, really, really smart,” Herman said. “I’m tickled pink that he’s our guy.” Hiring former Rutgers coach Chris Ash as defensive coordinator was a no-brainer, too. Herman and Ash won a national title together at Ohio State. He knows exactly what he’s getting in Ash’s four-man front scheme and knows it can win at the highest level. And then he promoted Andre Coleman and hired Jay Valai, Coleman Hutzler, Jay Boulware and Mark Hagen, a group that brings a blend of Texas ties, Big 12 experience and new energy to the program.

“I knew what I wanted with the hires and I got it, every one of them,” Herman said.

He knows he has Del Conte to thank, too. The athletic director backed him on these hires and gave him whatever he needed. He bumped up the salary pool and provided multi-year deals to every Longhorns assistant. The new coordinators were offered three-year contracts. If the coaches they targeted had questions about Herman’s job security, he had them talk with Del Conte. Even the coaches who were retained — Herb Hand, Stan Drayton, Oscar Giles and Yancy McKnight — got raises. Texas is deeply invested in the success of this coaching staff. If Del Conte were to pull the plug on this group at the end of the 2020 season, Herman would be owed $15 million and buying out his staff would cost roughly $10 million.

“What I’m really proud of is Tom took a hard look at what he needed to do to win a conference championship and compete for a national championship, and he looked inward,” Del Conte told local Austin bag lady Chip Brown. “As Tom said, and I love what he said, he goes, ‘I wasn’t getting it done.’ We needed to retool our staff, and he knew that you get a chance to do that one time, right?”

When asked if Herman needed to have a certain kind of season in 2020 to stave off the hot seat, Del Conte replied flatly: “I think that’s crazy talk. And I mean that.”

For Herman, the necessary changes at Texas go beyond coaching hires. This long offseason has given him plenty of time to reflect on what he must do differently.

“A lot of the looking under the hood was at myself,” he said.

A trip to Notre Dame in late February gave him some clarity. He went up to South Bend to learn more about Brian Kelly’s successful reboot after the 2016 season. The Irish went from 4-8 to the College Football Playoff in two years. Kelly went through a similar overhaul — hiring two new coordinators plus five new coaches and gave up play-calling duties — and came out much better for it.

Herman recognized he needed to spend less time in the offensive meeting room and more time in the locker room and players’ lounge, and his visit with Kelly reinforced that. He knows he can be more accessible. It’s easy to form those tight, lifelong bonds with your players when you’re a position coach, less so as a head coach. The time he would’ve spent drilling down on the offensive plan needs to be reinvested in his players. He needs to know the pulse of his team and keep an eye on the 30,000-foot view of his program.

“To be as demanding on our guys as we are, I think with this generation, you’ve got to have good relationships with ’em,” he said.

Del Conte is now right down the hall from Texas’ football coaches in their new north end zone setup. During the winter, he could clearly see the staff overhaul had reenergized this program in a lot of ways, starting with the head man. Herman likes to say his No. 1 objective in this job is spreading and enforcing their culture, and he’s been genuinely excited to get to teach that all over again with seven new staffers. He was eager to show them how they do things while also bringing fresh eyes and new ideas into their organization. They’ll need to come a long way in a short period of time, because this team has a chance to be special.

Even with all that’s changed in the last six months, this is still the season Texas has been building toward. If you’re a Texas fan, 2020 is the year you’ve had circled on the calendar. It’s not just because they have the senior quarterback in Sam Ehlinger. The Longhorns can now put eight or nine upperclassman starters on the field on both sides of the ball. There are a couple of areas where Herman is concerned — youth at receiver, depth at linebacker — but the core of this roster is strong. They have quality player-led leadership, and that helps ensure they’ll come out of this spring shutdown in good shape.

“We’ve got enough,” he said. “And they’re experienced now.”

Herman openly admits the Longhorns overachieved in 2018. It was always clear the 2019 season would depend on their sophomores stepping up, and many of them did, but progress is rarely linear with young players. Now those guys are juniors entrusted with key roles. When the incoming freshmen arrive, Texas will have 54 players on its roster who were four- or five-star recruits, pushing the program’s Blue Chip Ratio well above 60 percent. There’s a reason why they played so well against LSU last September. They’ve got the talent.

That’s what makes the south end zone facility so significant. Texas football’s brand-new palace is scheduled to arrive right on time, just as the Longhorns are supposed to be riding the momentum of a big season. Upgrades like these can take recruiting to an even higher level. It’s a grand opportunity that cannot be squandered. This entire project, all 240,000 square feet of it, was paid for by significant donors who want Texas competing for championships. The on-field product needs to match the edifice.

Herman made all those tough changes knowing now is the time to strike. If Texas plays this right over the next 12 months, the payoff could be massive. What will it take? Herman keeping his own project right on schedule.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2020 at 9:36 AM, LTtxfan said:

247VIP articles available without subscription today only  (Wed May 27th)

Texas Morning Brew: Offense needs 45-point average, says Yurcich

VIP By FUCK CHIP BROWN     3 hours ago

https://247sports.com/college/texas/article/texas-longhorns-football-mike-yurcich-tom-herman-average-45-blake-jarwin-147547510/

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That Mac Olson article fires me up, especially his comment that he got the guys he wanted - even if he’s lying I’m fired up.

I refuse to get sucked in. Herman gets zero benefit of doubt from me. Two losses to Maryland, terrible goal line play calling, horrible penalties on defense at the worst times, prior coaching hires of just poor coaches etc etc etc, not to mention leaving slow ass TE when going to 4 wide plus other personnel head-scratchers (like Ossai until last game)

I was excited for his arrival and I want the Horns to kill it this year, I am just not drinking any Kool-Aid.

• Like 3

Guess I was too hard on Blinkin' waiting till July...

In the Athletic article about Bijan:

"The Big 12 recently announced that football teams could host voluntary activities on campus as early as June 15. The Longhorns are targeting a July 1 report date for incoming freshmen, which could mark Robinson’s highly anticipated arrival to Texas. Those who have watched his career unfold shared what the Longhorns could see from the dynamic back."

TEXAS LONGHORNS (9-3, 7-2)

8823981.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Tom Herman
(Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

PROJECTED WINS: South Florida, UTEP, at Kansas State, Oklahoma, West Virginia, at Texas Tech, Baylor, at Kansas, Iowa State

PROJECTED LOSSES: at LSU, TCU, at Oklahoma State

CBS’ TAKE: The good news for the Longhorns is their conference road schedule is manageable: at Kansas State, at Texas Tech and at Kansas should all be wins. However, things get tricky with a Thanksgiving weekend game at Oklahoma State coming off a short week. 

247SPORTS' TAKE: Nobody is necessarily suggesting that this Tom Herman’s “do or die” year, but people in Austin are wanting the Longhorns to take that next step and show they can contend in the conference again this year. Beating Oklahoma, as projected, would be huge, but Texas also needs to avoid those other conference losses.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma-state/LongFormArticle/Projecting-win-totals-for-every-Big-12-team-in-2020-147588863/#1425769_6

Edited by Hiphopopotamos

13 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

You can’t just put it on autopilot and expect 10 wins and New Year’s Six bowl games to just fall out of the sky.

I'm so fucking tired of hearing that from our coaches after we come up way short. DID. YOU. NOT. FUCKING. ALREADY. KNOW. THAT? Did you know it and just, you know, not tell the players, or more pertinently not just demand enough from them to prevent them from thinking it?

It means about as much as "We're Texas". Empty words. Show me, stop telling me.

1 hour ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

TEXAS LONGHORNS (9-3, 7-2)

8823981.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Tom Herman
(Photo: Tim Warner, Getty)

PROJECTED WINS: South Florida, UTEP, at Kansas State, Oklahoma, West Virginia, at Texas Tech, Baylor, at Kansas, Iowa State

PROJECTED LOSSES: at LSU, TCU, at Oklahoma State

CBS’ TAKE: The good news for the Longhorns is their conference road schedule is manageable: at Kansas State, at Texas Tech and at Kansas should all be wins. However, things get tricky with a Thanksgiving weekend game at Oklahoma State coming off a short week. 

247SPORTS' TAKE: Nobody is necessarily suggesting that this Tom Herman’s “do or die” year, but people in Austin are wanting the Longhorns to take that next step and show they can contend in the conference again this year. Beating Oklahoma, as projected, would be huge, but Texas also needs to avoid those other conference losses.

https://247sports.com/college/oklahoma-state/LongFormArticle/Projecting-win-totals-for-every-Big-12-team-in-2020-147588863/#1425769_6

Losing to TCU at home would lead to a rough week for Herman

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Operating at 25% capacity is not conducive to anything other than slow bankruptcy. Why bother?

You know what's conducive to fast bankruptcy? Not holding up your end of a TV deal.

Why do you think every European soccer league (bar Ligue 1) is playing or will play in front of 0% capacity?

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

In the Athletic article about Bijan:

"The Big 12 recently announced that football teams could host voluntary activities on campus as early as June 15. The Longhorns are targeting a July 1 report date for incoming freshmen, which could mark Robinson’s highly anticipated arrival to Texas. Those who have watched his career unfold shared what the Longhorns could see from the dynamic back."

Might be why players may not return to campus till July 1st...

42m

The #Big12 is working with Dr. Christopher Hostler of the Duke Infection Control Outreach Network (DICON) on safety protocols for student-athletes and staff ... More in today's Morning Brew (VIP).