2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

Not to steer this thread off the rails, but what causes that type of behavior? Is it the tribal nature of man? Fear of different culture? Also I think we are in trouble if we don’t bring in another capable linebacker. I’ll believe Overshown can be a dependable OLB when I see it. 

Edited by CastHorn

tillman, mitchell, overshown, gbenda, adeoye, jacquess, brockermeyer, ehlinger.  we’ll only have two of them on the field at a time most plays, and the top five are all more than capable.  hasn’t there been talk of tyler owens making the move as well?  it’s not the best group in the conference but it won’t be terrible. 

Texas Longhorns (+2,800)

If ... 2019 pain means 2020 gain for the secondary. The stats were much more pessimistic about Texas than the eyeballs last season, and the stats were eventually proved correct. But those same numbers are quite a bit higher on the Longhorns this time around. Why? Experience. This defense had a ridiculously young spine (tackles, ILBs, safeties) last season, and the sophomore-heavy secondary suffered a run of injuries as well. The Horns now return 10 defensive backs who logged triple-digit snaps and add a new batch of blue-chippers. This unit should be both talented and experienced enough to thrive.

If ... sophomores figure out run support. The run defense was only slightly better than the pass defense, and it might be up to high-upside youngsters -- sophomore tackles Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo and T'Vondre Sweat and sophomore/junior linebackers Joseph Ossai, Ayodele Adeoye, Juwan Mitchell and DeMarvion Overshown -- to solve.

If ... hiring Mike Yurcich means verticality. Texas improved from 27th to 10th in offensive SP+ last season, but coach Tom Herman still attempted a coordinator upgrade by bringing in Ohio State's Mike Yurcich. The biggest potential improvement Yurcich can bring to the table is better vertical passing. Ohio State averaged 10.7 air yards per pass attempt last season, 18th in the country. (The Buckeyes were also 13th in completion rate.) Texas: 46th at 9.5. The Longhorns weren't great at completing these passes, either. If Sam Ehlinger and deep threat Brennan Eagles form a more consistent partnership this season, this offense has what it needs.

If ... Jake Smith plays like the next Devin Duvernay. The Longhorns will still need efficiency, though, and last season they got that primarily from the quick pass. Slot man (and new Baltimore Raven) Duvernay enjoyed an unreal 64% success rate over his 130 pass targets; he could take a horizontal pass and burst upfield better than anyone. Blue-chip sophomore Smith backed him up and enjoyed a 56% success rate -- if he can continue to help UT stay on schedule and pick up easy yards, the deep shots are that much more likely to succeed.

I don’t have a problem with that. If that’s the stand he chooses to make for a cause he feels is right, more power to him. At least he has principles.

I’m still waiting for one of these enlightened pros to say they won’t go play in NYC, Chicago, St Louis, Baltimore, etc.

Not a good look for FSU, but fuck them sideways anyway. 

I am all for players taking a stand for change. There's a lot of shit that needs fixing in this country, and many of these young players have seen it firsthand from the day they were born. If they can stand by their convictions and make a difference, I support them 100%. I hope they're able to do this collaboratively and constructively, however, and not destructively. 

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Someone's going to get the "think of how much bigger your platform will be as an NFL player" talk.

Seems like Eagles continuing his education and playing Texas football while keeping his open social media dialogue going would be a more powerful message for him than not playing...

Edited by LTtxfan

55 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Highly doubt he follows through 

Players at other schools are tweeting similar stuff. This is going to happen across the country. 

Schools/coaches that actually listen and give players a voice will handle this better than those that don't. See FSU's fuck up already. 

Edited by texasstrong12

55 minutes ago, Xian said:

That actually seems much worse than us 

looks like their coach lied and they are rightfully pissed. 

At least our players are mad at the system (which they should be) and not Herman or UT directly. 

Several Clemson players responded to his tweet. Clemson players are probably to going to do the same thing based on how Dabo has handled this.