2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

David Beaty and Kansas have reached a settlement.  Possible addition to the analysts staff now?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hutchnews.com/sports/20200605/ku-former-football-coach-david-beaty-reach-255-million-settlement%3ftemplate=ampart

Not sure if CDC will approve with the so called violations at KU for Beaty...

41 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's supposed to be an extremely (like leads Utah's team Bible study) devout Mormon. Dude needs to look at how he's let down his own beliefs.

i thought mormons were extremely racist....?

or was that scientologists.....?

I get the south park episodes mixed up

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Mormonism certainly has a bad history with race, but at this point it's very welcoming.

Yep. But as with most religions, even when change comes, it's not entirely universal, and not 100% welcome. I've known passionate antiracists amongst my Mormon acquaintance, and also plain ol' run of the mill racists. They're (Mormons) basically like everybody else, except with blander food and more uncomfortable undergarments.

41 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

As long as your checks don't bounce...

Emmett:  It ain't the money ya understand, but if I don't charge ya somethin' the Presbyterians around here are likely to pray for my ruination. How does a hundred dollars a month strike ya?

Dalton:  Fine.

Emmett:  Can ya afford that much?

Dalton:  If it keeps you in the good graces of the church.

Emmett:  Ain't it peculiar how money seems to do that very thing?

13 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yep. But as with most religions, even when change comes, it's not entirely universal, and not 100% welcome. I've known passionate antiracists amongst my Mormon acquaintance, and also plain ol' run of the mill racists. They're (Mormons) basically like everybody else, except with blander food and more uncomfortable undergarments.

Bland? Psh. Quiver at the thrilling spectrum of Mormon cuisine:

Best-Jello-Recipes-Jello-Salad-Recipes-F

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Ok thats a little bit of a ridiculous thing to say.  I support these guys rights to say whatever they want but the whole silence is violence or silence is betrayal narrative is bogus.  The idea that someone has an opinion but doesn't want to share it publicly makes them violent or a betrayer is nonsense.  Who would say that if George Floyds brother decided to be silent on the issue?  No one.  Not saying they don't have some good points and I definitely believe a conversation needs to be had about all this but the silence is violence narrative is nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Ok thats a little bit of a ridiculous thing to say.  I support these guys rights to say whatever they want but the whole silence is violence or silence is betrayal narrative is bogus.  The idea that someone has an opinion but doesn't want to share it publicly makes them violent or a betrayer is nonsense.  Who would say that if George Floyds brother decided to be silent on the issue?  No one.  Not saying they don't have some good points and I definitely believe a conversation needs to be had about all this but the silence is violence narrative is nonsense.

I think you’re misunderstanding the point. It’s more about silence when in the presence of others who are perpetrating racism, like the other three officers who sat and did nothing. It’s not enough to passively stand by while proclaiming “well I’m not the racist one.” In those situations you have an obligation to intervene, because inaction = enablement.

6 minutes ago, Nope said:

I think you’re misunderstanding the point. It’s more about silence when in the presence of others who are perpetrating racism, like the other three officers who sat and did nothing. It’s not enough to passively stand by while proclaiming “well I’m not the racist one.” In those situations you have an obligation to intervene, because inaction = enablement.

If that really is just about the other police officers that were there then I can agree with that but if the narrative is everyone who has an opinion on this is silent (which seems more likely) then its nonsense.

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

Mormonism certainly has a bad history with race, but at this point it's very welcoming.

For years blacks weren’t allowed to hold leadership positions and were viewed as having the “mark of Cain”   

Mormons have generations of anti-black sentiment. Perhaps they’re better now but they had a lot of hate for a lot of years. (As did lots of others obviously)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apex73 said:

If that really is just about the other police officers that were there then I can agree with that but if the narrative is everyone who has an opinion on this is silent (which seems more likely) then its nonsense.

Well, no, it's not just about the other police officers, it's about anyone in the presence of someone spreading race hate. Someone tells a racist joke in the office, for example, it's your responsibility to say something. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean it's your responsibility to go out and proactively start preaching at other people, uninvited. But acts of racism in your presence? Yeah, consider that an invitation to get involved.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, no, it's not just about the other police officers, it's about anyone in the presence of someone spreading race hate. Someone tells a racist joke in the office, for example, it's your responsibility to say something. I'm pretty sure he didn't mean it's your responsibility to go out and proactively start preaching at other people, uninvited. But acts of racism in your presence? Yeah, consider that an invitation to get involved.

It's not anybody's responsibility to get involved other than management.  If someone tells a slightly racist joke I don't think that qualifies them for spreading race hate.  You have the prerogative to either ignore it or speak up and say something but you can't take the words at face value when someone is joking because you are forgetting about the variable of intent.  If you tell management about it and they decide to do nothing, depending  on the circumstances they aren't spreading race hate either.  If its blatant racism in malice and management decides to do nothing then that's a problem and would be considered at least tolerating race hate.

2 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

do you think the girl that tweeted out the screenshot of fromm’s innocuous text in a private conversation from a few years ago did us all a public service?

Edited by futureman
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Not sure if CDC will approve with the so called violations at KU for Beaty...

KU, however, discovered potential NCAA infractions during end-of-season exit interviews with assistants — namely that then-video coordinator Jeff Love had given impermissible coaching instruction to the team’s quarterbacks.

This is all horseshit, and CDC will recognize it at such.  IDK if Beaty would be a good addition here, but KU is shady as fuck and was looking for reasons not to pay monies owed.  Unfortunately for those asshats, Les Miles did what Beaty did and more in his first season on the plains.

Edited by cafe society

6 hours ago, Apex73 said:

It’s using the other police officers to create a larger metaphor, but the theme is the same.

3 hours ago, Apex73 said:

It's not anybody's responsibility to get involved other than management.  If someone tells a slightly racist joke I don't think that qualifies them for spreading race hate.  You have the prerogative to either ignore it or speak up and say something but you can't take the words at face value when someone is joking because you are forgetting about the variable of intent.  If you tell management about it and they decide to do nothing, depending  on the circumstances they aren't spreading race hate either.  If its blatant racism in malice and management decides to do nothing then that's a problem and would be considered at least tolerating race hate.

White people have to self-police when someone crosses the line. That’s the point of all of this. It’s not about “telling management” and getting someone punished, it’s about creating a culture where people know a “slightly racist joke” will be met with admonishment.

• Like 3

Gotta ryhme bro, what else really fits?

16 hours ago, Nope said:

White people have to self-police when someone crosses the line. That’s the point of all of this. It’s not about “telling management” and getting someone punished, it’s about creating a culture where people know a “slightly racist joke” will be met with admonishment.

I think that is taking it a little too far.  If the joke doesn't have malicious intent I think that is kind of ridiculous. Btw are you gonna enforce that both ways?  My bet is on no.  You have way too much white guilt.

18 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I think that is taking it a little too far.  If the joke doesn't have malicious intent I think that is kind of ridiculous. Btw are you gonna enforce that both ways?  My bet is on no.  You have way too much white guilt.

Actually, malicious intent doesn't show up anywhere in most HR departments' definition of harassment. Anything that creates a hostile work environment -- whether you meant it to or not -- is out of line. That's as true of race-related jokes as it is of sexual harassment. If it's a race-related joke, it doesn't even matter if it actually is funny, you still don't tell it, and yes, that goes both ways. Obviously, if there's no intent, it's a slap-on-the-wrist kind of deal, but there is still admonishment of some kind.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Actually, malicious intent doesn't show up anywhere in most HR departments' definition of harassment. Anything that creates a hostile work environment -- whether you meant it to or not -- is out of line. That's as true of race-related jokes as it is of sexual harassment. If it's a race-related joke, it doesn't even matter if it actually is funny, you still don't tell it, and yes, that goes both ways. Obviously, if there's no intent, it's a slap-on-the-wrist kind of deal, but there is still admonishment of some kind.

Ok but who gets to decide what harassment is.  The point is it if we have a society where people can get reprimanded or fired because someone felt a certain way about what someone said then we are just pandering to vaginas and out for a witch hunt.

5 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Ok but who gets to decide what harassment is.  The point is it if we have a society where people can get reprimanded or fired because someone felt a certain way about what someone said then we are just pandering to vaginas and out for a witch hunt.

I don’t even think it’s about punishment necessarily, like I mentioned. It just needs to be one of those things that people know isn’t cool, like Holocaust jokes. People know the level of trauma inflicted on that group doesn’t really lend itself to humor. Should be the same for AA’s as well.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nope said:

I don’t even think it’s about punishment necessarily, like I mentioned. It just needs to be one of those things that people know isn’t cool, like Holocaust jokes. People know the level of trauma inflicted on that group doesn’t really lend itself to humor. Should be the same for AA’s as well.

I don't know how you can say that if someone loses their job over it.  Comedy is one of those things where we talk about uncomfortable things to laugh about them even though we know how terrible they are.  Im not advocating for no guidelines in the workplace but this is getting ridiculous.

4 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

I don't know how you can say that if someone loses their job over it.  Comedy is one of those things where we talk about uncomfortable things to laugh about them even though we know how terrible they are.  Im not advocating for no guidelines in the workplace but this is getting ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure to lose your job over it, they'd have to prove malicious intent. There are shades of gray in everything, which is why an employee handbook is usually hundreds of pages, not just two.

28 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Your top concern is losing your job over a minor infraction, they are protesting is part over losing their lives over a minor infraction.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Your top concern is losing your job over a minor infraction, they are protesting is part over losing their lives over a minor infraction.

Ok I understand that but that doesn't have anything to do with controlling the way people speak.  

2 hours ago, Apex73 said:

In most workplaces, literally anybody. If a joke, in this hypothetical, makes anyone uncomfortable, even if they are not the subject of such joke, they can report a hostile work environment. Maybe not harassment per se, but anyone can report a hostile work environment for anything that makes them uncomfortable.

• Like 1