2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

Cross-posting to add to this thread...

12. LINCOLN RILEY, OKLAHOMA ($6.4 MILLION)

10. TOM HERMAN, TEXAS ($6.7 MILLION)

6. JIMBO FISHER, TEXAS A&M ($7.5 MILLION)

3. ED ORGERON, LSU ($8.7 MILLION)

2. NICK SABAN, ALABAMA ($9.1 MILLION)

1. DABO SWINNEY, CLEMSON ($9.3 MILLION)

Edited by LTtxfan

burMyF8s_bigger.jpg      Kyle Coats.   @Coach_Coats
46m

Blessed with the opportunity to spend the last 3 years at.  @TexasFootball.  Thank you to all the coaches and staff that invested in me during my time. Above all - thank you to the players. The young men I was able to work with, care for, and pour into each day. Love you guys.
🤘🏼

(Defensive Coordinator/LBs - Westwood HS. TU, HSU, and Georgetown HS Alum. B/L. Texas Born and Raised. #DWC )
Edited by LTtxfan

15 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:
burMyF8s_bigger.jpg      Kyle Coats.   @Coach_Coats
46m

Blessed with the opportunity to spend the last 3 years at.  @TexasFootball.  Thank you to all the coaches and staff that invested in me during my time. Above all - thank you to the players. The young men I was able to work with, care for, and pour into each day. Love you guys.
🤘🏼

(Defensive Coordinator/LBs - Westwood HS. TU, HSU, and Georgetown HS Alum. B/L. Texas Born and Raised. #DWC )

he has been an interesting person to follow - super young with a ton of interesting experiences then sticking at Texas as a QC guy only to leave to be the DC at Westwood?

38m
Tremendous Coach and Man! Much Love DC Coats
🤘🏾

Quote Tweet
burMyF8s_normal.jpg     Kyle Coats   @Coach_Coats                     
· 1h
Blessed with the opportunity to spend the last 3 years at @TexasFootball Thank you to all the coaches and staff that invested in me during my time. Above all - thank you to the players. The young men I was able to work with, care for, and pour into each day. Love you guys.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Football-Tom-Herman-ecstatic-more-than-comfortable-with-mental-aspect-of-the-game-Mike-Yurcich-Chris-Ash-148713141/

Tom Herman comfortable with offseason mental prep by Longhorns

By    JEFF HOWE 11 hours ago

In the midst of the program’s third week of on-campus voluntary workouts and with the Fourth of the July holiday weekend days away, Texas head coach Tom Herman and his charges should be able to see a light at the end of the tunnel. Following the six-week summer calendar approved by the NCAA Division I Council to provide structure to an offseason thrown completely out of balance by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic, the Longhorns have the rest of this week and next week to continue voluntary workouts (which began June 15) before things change.

Beginning July 14, Texas and other programs across the country will be able to hold required summer workouts, which includes up to eight hours of weight training, conditioning and film review (no more than two hours per week) per week through Thursday, July 23. Schools will then have 14 days (ending Thursday, Aug. 6) to go through 20 hours per week of countable athletically related activities, which includes everything carrying over from the mid-July window with the addition of up to one hour per day for a walkthrough practice (may include the use of a football) and up to one hour per day of meetings (team meetings, position meetings, etc.).

In the two weeks leading up to the start of preseason practice, which for the Longhorns would begin on Friday, Aug. 7, no more than six hours per week can be devoted to walkthrough practices or meetings (players are required to receive two days off during these 14 days).

Those walkthrough practices will be the first time since winter conditioning ended where Herman and his assistant coaches (including the six brand new hires and the one coach elevated to a full-time position) will get to work with the players on the field. What the Longhorns were able to get done before winding things down ahead of spring practice (canceled due to the pandemic) and what they’ve done since April when the Big 12 allowed members schools to conduct up to eight hours of virtual meetings per week is all Herman and Co. have been able to lean on when it comes to their preparation for the 2020 season.

Herman has acknowledged throughout the offseason that there’s no substitute for the 11-on-11 work to put whatever classroom knowledge the players have of Chris Ash’s defense and the tweaks Mike Yurcich has made offense into action on the field. With that said, Herman is feeling as confident as he could be with how prepared the Longhorns will be when they get back on the field in just over three weeks.

“We're not even close to using the eight hours a week of meeting time that the NCAA has allowed us to have with our players virtually, but I feel ecstatic, more than comfortable with the mental aspect of the game,” Herman said in a video conference with reporters on June 11. “Let me put it to you this way: regardless of spring practice or not, we have met more this offseason from February until June than any other year in the past. Maybe twice as much, maybe more than twice as much. Really, really not concerned with the mental aspect of assignment and learning the offense and defense.

“Obviously, there's no substitute either for full speed, 11-on-11 physical reps, so we're going have to catch up to that as best we can,” he added. “We're to the point now where we're talking about third-down packages, we're talking about red zone packages, we're talking about short-yardage packages. I mean, we're talking about things that you wouldn't even get in in a spring practice. These are situations that you wouldn't even talk about probably until training camp and we're already meeting on them here in June.”

While the coaches have remained busy behind closed doors before passing along the information to the players, they’ve also driven home to their charges the importance accountability and asking questions when it comes to learning how the new schemes will function. Yurcich said in a May interview with SiriusXM’s Big 12 Today that the coaches and players need to keep each other on their toes to make sure everyone’s scheme knowledge is up to par once preseason practice begins and time on the field has to be maximized in order to be as ready to go as possible to face USF in the season opener on Sept. 5.

“You dwell on the fact that you're not there being able to see practices and actually seeing the execution,” Yurcich said. “I think you have to be careful because there could be a false sense of what our guys can do and what we think they know.”

“You can head nod all you wish, so there's a lot of head-nodding going on in these Zoom meetings: do you understand? Do you understand? Yes. Yes,” he added. “You have to have the players spit it back to you. There's constant Q&A. Present less information, ask more questions.

“When you're installing and you're tweaking an offense and you're doing certain things from an offensive standpoint, you're presenting a lot of information, but you also have to ask a lot of questions.”

That’s ultimately where Herman comes out on being forced to rely on getting as much mental work done as possible in lieu of a lack of physical activity.

“That part of it, very comfortable with, excited about,” Herman said, “but certainly understand that it's one thing to know it and have met on it but it's another thing to go out there and do it correctly over and over again.”

15 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's always DMO and Mitchell with the big swinging "well then I'm not playing" statements... couldn't we at least get it spread out among position groups?

Wasn't there a rumor in past years that DMO might enter the transfer portal?

38 minutes ago, cdain3 said:

It doesn't take much to rename fucking school buildings or name part of the stadium after Julius Whittier(to start). Respect him for taking a stand.

It also doesn’t happen overnight. CDC said he was going to meet with all teams first So he could hear their concerns. That’s completely reasonable and it’s idiotic for people to throw a fit before that has happened. No matter how strong your convictions, you’re an idiot if you don’t allow for a process to happen. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

It also doesn’t happen overnight. CDC said he was going to meet with all teams first So he could hear their concerns. That’s completely reasonable and it’s idiotic for people to throw a fit before that has happened. No matter how strong your convictions, you’re an idiot if you don’t allow for a process to happen. 

It's been three weeks. That step should be finished by now, it's not hard.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's been three weeks. That step should be finished by now, it's not hard.

You know there is global pandemic going on, right?    And it’s currently spiking in Texas?   I’d imagine that makes it hard to meet with every student athlete on every team.  Plus all the other responsibilities he has right now. Such as figuring out a way to get said teams playing Covid free in the fall/spring. 

Only so much zoom time in the day...

1 minute ago, Xian said:

You know there is global pandemic going on, right?    And it’s currently spiking in Texas?   I’d imagine that makes it hard to meet with every student athlete on every team.  Plus all the other responsibilities he has right now. Such as figuring out a way to get said teams playing Covid free in the fall/spring. 

Only so much zoom time in the day...

If a state like MS can vote to remove confederate flag off the state flag in same amount of time then UT should be able to start making some moves here. CDC is moving way too slow.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

If a state like MS can vote to remove confederate flag off the state flag in same amount of time then UT should be able to start making some moves here. CDC is moving way too slow.

Maybe so, but he said he wanted to meet with every student athlete for the very beginning. So it’s not like he has been secretive about it.    

Texas has 682 student athletes per google. Let’s assume 30 mins per student. That’s 341 hours just on zoom. 

you can’t do that in 30 days 

Edited by Xian