2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

Just now, Xian said:

Maybe so, but he said he wanted to meet with every student athlete for the very beginning. So it’s not like he has been secretive about it.    

Understood, but he could set a Zoom up with the 18 teams UT has. If 1-2 athletes cannot make it so be it. Could have sent survey out pre call asking for opinions etc etc

Lots of ways to do it here. Shouldn't be taking this long.

1 minute ago, BrazilHorn said:

Understood, but he could set a Zoom up with the 18 teams UT has. If 1-2 athletes cannot make it so be it. Could have sent survey out pre call asking for opinions etc etc

Lots of ways to do it here. Shouldn't be taking this long.

For better or worse, he seems to be a very hands on person who likes doing things one on one. Just look at his twitter feed and how he seems to respond to every email in person.   Hell, people on here have talked about how he calls them directly after they send him stupid/annoying emails. 

it’s just his personality.  

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's always DMO and Mitchell with the big swinging "well then I'm not playing" statements... couldn't we at least get it spread out among position groups?

My thoughts/Questions:

• I want The University to take action quickly regarding the players requests... 
  • Any info on DMO's respect level from the other Texas players??   
  • Is DMO considered a leader and one of the harder workers on this year's team??

DMO struggled with injuries last yr -- not much production from a highly rated player:

Texas Career Defensive Statistics for DMO
Career Defensive Statistics
Season GP SOLO AST TOT TFL-YDS SACKS-YDS INT PD FF FR BLK
Total 17 17 2 19 7.0-26 2.0-13 1 4 1 0 0
2018 9 0 1 1 0-0 0-0 0 0 0 0 0
2019 8 17 1 18 7-26 2-13 1 4 1 0 0
Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Xian said:

Maybe so, but he said he wanted to meet with every student athlete for the very beginning. So it’s not like he has been secretive about it.    

Texas has 682 student athletes per google. Let’s assume 30 mins per student. That’s 341 hours just on zoom. 

you can’t do that in 30 days 

Plus, almost all of this is going to require a BOR vote. 

2 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

It also doesn’t happen overnight. CDC said he was going to meet with all teams first So he could hear their concerns. That’s completely reasonable and it’s idiotic for people to throw a fit before that has happened. No matter how strong your convictions, you’re an idiot if you don’t allow for a process to happen. 

That's why a much more reasonable approach would be. 

"We give the University of Texas until the opener against South Florida to engage all the Black athletes and students at Texas. We understand there's a process that takes place and that other Black athletes and students need to be included in the process. A few months should be plenty of time for the University of Texas to engage the problems and find solutions to our long list of demands."

From the get go these demands have been football driven. They should be inclusive of all the Black athletes and students at Texas. Beyond that, changing one thing isn't even close to comparable to the list of demands they gave Del Conte/Hartzel. Changes obviously need to be made but the idea this stuff should or would happen overnight is complete nonsense. 

17 minutes ago, texasstrong12 said:

That's why a much more reasonable approach would be. 

"We give the University of Texas until the opener against South Florida to engage all the Black athletes and students at Texas. We understand there's a process that takes place and that other Black athletes and students need to be included in the process. A few months should be plenty of time for the University of Texas to engage the problems and find solutions to our long list of demands."

From the get go these demands have been football driven. They should be inclusive of all the Black athletes and students at Texas. Beyond that, changing one thing isn't even close to comparable to the list of demands they gave Del Conte/Hartzel. Changes obviously need to be made but the idea this stuff should or would happen overnight is complete nonsense. 

True, but also not one thing has happened, not even the layups. They're looking at Mississippi (and believe me I know it's a different situation, but it's what they're seeing) changing the whole dang state flag and getting impatient.

And I keep saying "they", but it's not the core team leaders we're talking about here, it's Overshown, who's a pretty emotional dude.

Edited by texifornia

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

So you see this level of twitter activism from players at Alabama, Clemson, Ohio st?  

One of Bama's OL actually wrote this:

Clemson already did something - they took John C. Calhoun's name off of everything.

Ohio State gets to dodge the "you need to rename everything" play because they're not from a slave state. Just to look at a Texas guy on their team, they're still doing a plenty of activism:

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

One of Bama's OL actually wrote this:

Clemson already did something - they took John C. Calhoun's name off of everything.

Ohio State gets to dodge the "you need to rename everything" play because they're not from a slave state. Just to look at a Texas guy on their team, they're still doing a plenty of activism:

Please.    We have multiple players effectively quitting the team.  They ain’t taking a knee.  

1 minute ago, Knighthawk said:

Please.    We have multiple players effectively quitting the team.  They ain’t taking a knee.  

It's just Overshown, plus Mitchell's 3rd or 4th go round on the "I'm quitting wait jk lol" merry-go-round.

Is Eagles still holding out of things? Haven't actually heard anything about him.

Edited by texifornia

Yeah I’m sure three contributors walking plus all the support for them on Twitter from the rest of the team is going to work out just fine.   

Hey don’t get me wrong. I’m vested with my wallet big time on this season.  Just not happy to see it all pissing away ...

23 minutes ago, Knighthawk said:

Yeah I’m sure three contributors walking plus all the support for them on Twitter from the rest of the team is going to work out just fine.   

Hey don’t get me wrong. I’m vested with my wallet big time on this season.  Just not happy to see it all pissing away ...

I will say, we already have a more fractured locker room than the Playoff teams (who doesn't?), so there's more guys who might feel a little adrift and therefore feel they have less to lose.

At least we're not Kansas State.

4 hours ago, texifornia said:

I will say, we already have a more fractured locker room than the Playoff teams (who doesn't?), so there's more guys who might feel a little adrift and therefore feel they have less to lose.

At least we're not Kansas State.

:o

Edited by hornfromdallas
  • Fuck You 1

10 hours ago, texifornia said:

It's just Overshown, plus Mitchell's 3rd or 4th go round on the "I'm quitting wait jk lol" merry-go-round.

Is Eagles still holding out of things? Haven't actually heard anything about him.

I think Eagles is working out with the team.  OB said Overshown isn't on campus.

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I think Eagles is working out with the team.  OB said Overshown isn't on campus.

This is especially interesting considering Hutzler did visit him at home. With specific regards to Overshown, this reeks more of not wanting to accept the position change than social change. Otherwise, why not continue your education and contribute to the movement on campus?

IT:

"About Demarvion Overshown...he still isn't on campus and the reasons aren't due to protesting. His tweet could give the impression that there is collective unrest still simmering, but we don't believe that to be the case at this time. The school is searching for a way to compromise on the Eyes of Texas and the players seem somewhat open to that, according to sources. As for DMO, give him time. We believe he'll be back on campus this month, and will update if new information arises."

Curiouser and curiouser.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

IT:  "About Demarvion Overshown...he still isn't on campus and the reasons aren't due to protesting. His tweet could give the impression that there is collective unrest still simmering, but we don't believe that to be the case at this time. The school is searching for a way to compromise on the Eyes of Texas and the players seem somewhat open to that, according to sources. As for DMO, give him time. We believe he'll be back on campus this month, and will update if new information arises."

Curiouser and curiouser.

Compromise idea:

1. Keep "The Eyes of Texas" with maybe a few modifications of the words
  2. Perform the "The Eyes of Texas" in pregame before players are brought out
  3. Play some time after " The Eyes of Texas " the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing," (traditionally known as the Black national anthem)
  4. Then next play  "The Star Spangled Banner"
  5. Finally, no longer play "The Eyes of Texas" at the end of contests...
Edited by LTtxfan

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Compromise idea:

1. Keep "The Eyes of Texas" with maybe a few modifications of the words
  2. Perform the "The Eyes of Texas" in pregame before players are brought out
  3. Play some time after " The Eyes of Texas " the song "Lift Ev'ry Voice And Sing," (traditionally known as the Black national anthem)
  4. Then next play  "The Star Spangled Banner"
  5. Finally, no longer play "The Eyes of Texas" at the end of contests...

When the stands are full again, if ever, they will sing the eyes after the game with or without the athletic department. 

• Like 1

Bijan's name means "Hero"

Several great quotes in here about Earl Campbell:

• Jim Brown said: "It's me 1st,  Earl 2nd, and then everybody else - -  y'all get in line!!!
  • After winning the 1978 Heisman, Barry Switzer said "Earl Campbell was the "Greatest Player who Ever Suited Up --  He's the Greatest Football player I've ever seen!!  Billy Sims is human, Campbell is not."
  •  A losing game coach in a high school game once said of Campbell, "I always thought Superman was white and wore an "S" , but now I know he's Black and wears number "20"

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

How hard is it to not be a colossal fucking shitheel. Anyway, here's Steve Boudreaux: https://www.facebook.com/steve.boudreaux3

Get his fucking ass.

So a guy who went to college in Baton Rouge is racist?  Wonder how he feels about LSU?   Is this similar to aggy pretending to be a horn and fucking with recruits on SM to make us look bad?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

How hard is it to not be a colossal fucking shitheel. Anyway, here's Steve Boudreaux: https://www.facebook.com/steve.boudreaux3

Get his fucking ass.

steve.boudreaux3 seems more like aggy/lsu fan...

September 7, 2008 - Present
San Antonio, Texas
Aviation
2003 - 2008
Bossier City, Louisiana
Staff Sergeant (E-5)
*Barksdale AFB
*Air Force Global Strike Command
*26th Operational Weather Squadron
*Air Force Weather Agency
BBQ Pitmaster
December 14, 2000 - January 15, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Store Stocker
June 23, 1999 - May 17, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
*Stocked lots of canned goods
*Putting people first & helped some of the customers handing out canned goods or supplies they asked for.
*Maintained the overall appearance of the store.
*Unloaded...
EDUCATION

Animal science · Agriculture Engineering · Athletics & Football
Class of 2011
High School
Class of 2003
Played football, varsity baseball & also was on the wrestling team.

23 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Get his fucking ass.

Did my part.  Reported his ass to his employer, which happens to be a recruiter for the Texas National Guard.  Please do the same. 

Their email:  ng.tx.txarng.mbx.pao@mail.mil

• Like 3
  • Haha 1