2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

On 7/11/2020 at 10:12 AM, Hank_Hill said:

Last DB from my alma mater didn’t work out so well

You mean the one that started four years on some pretty damn good teams? He'll always be remembered for the Tech blunder, but Gideon panned the hell out for a two-star recruit.

2 hours ago, MuellerHorn said:

You mean the one that started four years on some pretty damn good teams? He'll always be remembered for the Tech blunder, but Gideon panned the hell out for a two-star recruit.

He was perfectly below average starting because somehow we had no better options for the position AND singlehandedly cost us a national championship appearance. Sounds about right for a 2-3 star prospect. Dylan Haines panned the hell out for a walk on but he still sucked ass.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

He was perfectly below average starting because somehow we had no better options for the position AND singlehandedly cost us a national championship appearance. Sounds about right for a 2-3 star prospect. Dylan Haines panned the hell out for a walk on but he still sucked ass.

I always thought he cost us a national championship appearance AND the following year's title against Alabama. On Alabama's first drive they fake a punt and he makes an acrobatic int that was completely unnecessary and probably costs us 25 yards of field position.  That of course completely changes the sequence of our first drive which ended in Colt getting hurt and dooming us in a game we were about to roll in. 

Now is it completely irrational to blame Gideon for this sequence when all he did was make a nice INT? Yes, yes it is. I still believe it though.

3 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I always thought he cost us a national championship appearance AND the following year's title against Alabama. On Alabama's first drive they fake a punt and he makes an acrobatic int that was completely unnecessary and probably costs us 25 yards of field position.  That of course completely changes the sequence of our first drive which ended in Colt getting hurt and dooming us in a game we were about to roll in. 

Now is it completely irrational to blame Gideon for this sequence when all he did was make a nice INT? Yes, yes it is. I still believe it though.

Fucking butterflies man.

tl:dr - Eyes stay, field renamed after Earl and Ricky, RLM gets its name changed, whole bunch of new programs/statuary/other stuff

Should have changed the eyes. It was finally a chance to not sound like a bunch of dorks singing to “I’ve been working on the railroad”.
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Dbeasy said:

Should have changed the eyes. It was finally a chance to not sound like a bunch of dorks singing to “I’ve been working on the railroad”.

If we won more games it wouldn’t feel so miserable and embarrassing to sing after games lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, texifornia said:

tl:dr - Eyes stay, field renamed after Earl and Ricky, RLM gets its name changed, whole bunch of new programs/statuary/other stuff

Cool. If the players are fine with it than I am. Hook'em and maybe we might even see football in the next 12 months.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

It is what it is. The Eyes is still pretty much the coolest pre-game tradition in college sports, IMO.

spacer.png

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Viper said:

sterns won't sing the eyes

I care not at all if a player sings "The Eyes", just like I do not care at all if a players sings "The National Anthem". IDMAS. I fully support any player's right to choose what to/not to do on the sidelines in terms of singing a song.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Drop the song. This is just going to become a distraction at every single game and bring nothing but negative attention to the program. It's not that big of a deal.  Just create a different song. Change is good.

no.  the players extorted the school and most of their demands were met.  they should respect the song as a compromise and not perpetuate the division.  if a faction of the team continues to protest the song it will absolutely become a distraction and will continue to be a source of division.  the players can keep all of that from happening simply by respecting their alma mater and respecting the fact that it means quite a bit to hundreds of thousands of alums.

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, futureman said:

no.  the players extorted the school and most of their demands were met.  they should respect the song as a compromise and not perpetuate the division.  if a faction of the team continues to protest the song it will absolutely become a distraction and will continue to be a source of division.  the players can keep all of that from happening simply by respecting their alma mater and respecting the fact that it means quite a bit to hundreds of thousands of alums.

Now that's high-level shitpost word choice

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Drop the song. This is just going to become a distraction at every single game and bring nothing but negative attention to the program. It's not that big of a deal.  Just create a different song. Change is good.

You seem a lot more worked up about it than any of the players do. 

39 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Now that's high-level shitpost word choice

hahaha everyone knows he's one of the shittiest posters on this site, but talk about removing all doubt. We just witnessed a situation where a good number of the players' "demands" weren't met and every player tweet I've seen is in support of this mutual plan of action that includes cooperative actions between players and the school, like Caden Sterns on a UTPD oversight committee, and he describes the situation like that? Wow. just wow.

Let's also not forget he was one of the main ones evincing the slippery slope argument about removing names and statutes leading to things like no more statutes of George Washington, and then he rags on a plan that keeps names like Littlefield, Painter, and Hogg in place while contextualizing their place in history. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

hahaha everyone knows he's one of the shittiest posters on this site, but talk about removing all doubt. We just witnessed a situation where a good number of the players' "demands" weren't met and every player tweet I've seen is in support of this mutual plan of action that includes cooperative actions between players and the school, like Caden Sterns on a UTPD oversight committee, and he describes the situation like that? Wow. just wow.

Let's also not forget he was one of the main ones evincing the slippery slope argument about removing names and statutes leading to things like no more statutes of George Washington, and then he rags on a plan that keeps names like Littlefield, Painter, and Hogg in place while contextualizing their place in history. 

I don't think he has a lot of experience with situations where two people/groups like, respect, and listen to each other and build a solid outcome together.

You seem a lot more worked up about it than any of the players do. 

That’s just a flat wrong take there hoss, but rather than argue I’ll just bookmark it for the inevitable escalation of this issue in the future. You sound a lot like Daniel Snyder.

27 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That’s just a flat wrong take there hoss, but rather than argue I’ll just bookmark it for the inevitable escalation of this issue in the future. You sound a lot like Daniel Snyder.

The Eyes of Texas is in no way similar to the mascot “Redskins.” That’s just dumb. Don’t be so dramatic. 

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

I got lucky in Hogg Auditorium with my wife to be.  They used to show movies in there that hardly anybody went to.  For that reason alone it can never be changed.  

Going hogging in the Hogg. Nice.

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Hot damn, little Jamail went OFF

"As I told Ricky [Williams] earlier, I was watching that sickening video of George Floyd getting murdered. I just wept," said the 67-year-old Jamail. "I was just thinking, how did we fall so low, to have a leaderless country, to have a president who supports white supremacists, this great-people-on-both-sideshorses---? Truthfully, I don't give a flying f--- if you quote me. It's sickening. It's embarrassing that people try to justify it.

Pointing Up Morgan Freeman GIF by MOODMAN

• Like 7

14 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

I got lucky in Hogg Auditorium with my wife to be.  They used to show movies in there that hardly anybody went to.  For that reason alone it can never be changed.  

That's incredible. I got lucky in Hogg Auditorium with your wife to be too. What a coincidence!

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ClubWhatever said:

14 hours ago, Viper said:

Going hogging in the Hogg. Nice.

I saw the Dalai Lama there.

Had to camp out in line for HOURS

There was a girl next to me that was a complete mess of a person.... but had huge knockers.... which is the only reason I first initiated a conversation.

That was a huge (ha!) mistake.

I've never felt so normal in my life.

I found out more about her in that line than I probably know about my wife now.

Drug use, learning disability stuff, sexual assault victim (😳)....  you name it.

Oh and her boyfriend had hypospadias and and other malformations of his junk which caused him a lot of 'issues'. 

I really didn't say anything, but she kept talking.... and she did have a super nice rack that I got a pretty good look at every time she leaned over, etc.

I'm a weak person, I know.

Anyhow, I did get to finally see the Dalai Lama but fell asleep during his talk because I was so damn tired from waiting in line.

And that's my story.

I know this neither moved this discussion along, but it's the only story about the Hogg that I got.

Michael Richards Ok GIF

Edited by Dnaguy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1