2020 Texas Offseason Thread: Herman's Hail Mary

texifornia

17 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Yeah. Scipio was pretty much spot on about this a few days ago, though I don’t think it was prescience. I’m sure he knew DO’s situation when he wrote this.

Human beings being human, this issue was also useful for a couple of guys as a high-minded justification. A little more palatable to tell your Twitter followers you won't play until global hunger is eradicated rather than mention that you're having personal problems, trying to get your grades up, or that you've quit the team multiple times before. 

I hadn't seen the Scipio piece. Spot on though, seems this young man (DMO) is really struggling with something.

54 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

This. He is dissatisfied about something else. A saying I like is "If one person cuts you off maybe they're the asshole, if everyone seems to be cutting you off/making you angry maybe you're the asshole"

It is starting to feel like DeMarvion is the asshole here. I wish this young man the best but he seems to have other considerations beyond being a part of this team on his mind.

Definitely sounds disgruntled. He was recruited as a 5-star safety and is being moved to some new hybrid LB position where he's not comfortable. Add to that his injury prone past, he's clearly frustrated here and looking for reasons to leave. 

17 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Definitely sounds disgruntled. He was recruited as a 5-star safety and is being moved to some new hybrid LB position where he's not comfortable. Add to that his injury prone past, he's clearly frustrated here and looking for reasons to leave. 

Funny thing is, he's been a spin-down candidate from day one. His potential NFL future is as a fast-as-shit LB. He just doesn't want to see that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

So he’s still at home with no confirmed return date and it took him, what, 24 hours to switch his reason for not playing to health? I’m thinking we’re getting close to putting a line through his name on the depth chart. 

Some of us (purty certain I'm not alone here) are past the line for putting the line through his name. Enough, already.

Yeah, if I was Herman, I would start repping Tillman, Gbenda, Jaylon Ford hard at LB as if they were starters.  I know a lot of people want to see Foster at LB but I'd prefer to keep him at safety where he has proven to be a play maker.  Maybe even start looking for people in the portal.  I'm not sure Mitchell or DMO can be relied upon.  If he's not willing to embrace a position change, he will never be happy here and it will show on the field.  Just cut bait and let him play at safety elsewhere.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

This. He is dissatisfied about something else. A saying I like is "If one person cuts you off maybe they're the asshole, if everyone seems to be cutting you off/making you angry maybe you're the asshole"

It is starting to feel like DeMarvion is the asshole here. I wish this young man the best but he seems to have other considerations beyond being a part of this team on his mind.

I wouldn't say he's a asshole, but it's pretty clear that football isn't high on his priority list if it makes the list at all. I hold no ill will toward any young man that doesn't want to play or doesn't want to play for UT, we have a slew of them that fit that category  every recruiting season. As for this young man, I wish you well in your future endeavors but I'm no longer interested in those endeavors.

1 minute ago, 927 E. 41st said:

I wouldn't say he's a asshole, but it's pretty clear that football isn't high on his priority list if it makes the list at all. I hold no ill will toward any young man that doesn't want to play or doesn't want to play for UT, we have a slew of them that fit that category  every recruiting season. As for this young man, I wish you well in your future endeavors but I'm no longer interested in those endeavors.

Could have put asshole in quotations, wasn't intended to be literal. Meaning is that DMO is the one with the issue(s), not the people around him. He clearly is dissatisfied with what is happening with him at UT etc

• Like 1

Not sure we've seen a real explanation for Overshown's on-again/off-again threats to bail. Seems to me as though he's got in his head some idea about his pro potential and the position that would be, and nothing will suit him except playing at that position in college, despite the fact that at least some of the pros think he's got it backwards. He apparently hasn't shown enough ability for his preferred position to convince coaches to play him where he insists upon playing, so ... no worries - he plays or he doesn't. If I were in #MensaTom 's shoes, I'd move him to ST full-time, and let him practice coverage by running wind-sprints all day, until he decides whether to leave or not.

21 minutes ago, ChampionshipLevelPiss said:

Guess Overshown is back on campus

Awesome news!  I will happily eat crow while watching him terrorize QBs and RBs for the next two years. Prove me wrong, DMO! 

8 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

So he’s still at home with no confirmed return date and it took him, what, 24 hours to switch his reason for not playing to health? I’m thinking we’re getting close to putting a line through his name on the depth chart. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

The Blitz was an interesting listen this week for a couple reasons. They are pretty down on Texas in general and they mentioned that the national folks are as well. Also, if they go to a conference only schedule then Texas would have to work out the kinks @Kstate with OU being week 2. Either way, Texas would have a big test early. 

those Reagan vs LBJ games had the best parking lot fodder growing up in the early and mid 90's

You should have seen the 1977 game right after Reagan got split into Reagan and LBJ. People were getting their asses kicked all over.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Poe It Up said:

The Blitz was an interesting listen this week for a couple reasons. They are pretty down on Texas in general and they mentioned that the national folks are as well. Also, if they go to a conference only schedule then Texas would have to work out the kinks @Kstate with OU being week 2. Either way, Texas would have a big test early. 

I actually like this because while pundits are informed, they're often wrong. So I just hope they're wrong again this year.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/LongFormArticle/2021-NFL-Mock-Draft-Justin-Fields-Trevor-Lawrence-Jaylen-Waddle-Trey-Lance-Micah-Parsons-149135294/#149135294_13

13. SAM COSMI, OT, TEXAS (DENVER BRONCOS)

Bleacher Report: "The Denver Broncos never found themselves in a position to address left tackle after three seasons of disappointing play from 2017 first-round pick Garett Bolles, who didn't have his fifth-year rookie option picked up this offseason. Bolles has one more opportunity to secure the Broncos' blind side, or the franchise will look to address the position next year. Texas' Samuel Cosmi would be considered the top tackle prospect in most classes, but he's going to be overshadowed by Oregon's Penei Sewell throughout the process. The 6'7", 310-pound redshirt junior is still an outstanding talent."

• Like 1

Perhaps it's the way 2020 has gone that's getting to me, but I'm not optimistic that we will play, and not optimistic about the team. They are coming across as less of a team and more a group of free agents and "Twitter masters". Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the same things out of winning programs that I'm seeing out of ours. It has turned me against Herman. He obviously won't be the worst coach we've had, but I no longer think he's the guy.

20 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Perhaps it's the way 2020 has gone that's getting to me, but I'm not optimistic that we will play, and not optimistic about the team. They are coming across as less of a team and more a group of free agents and "Twitter masters". Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the same things out of winning programs that I'm seeing out of ours. It has turned me against Herman. He obviously won't be the worst coach we've had, but I no longer think he's the guy.

Hm, and what part of this offseason has led to that conclusion?

Also this offseason turned you against Herman and not *waves in the direction of every L plus the KU game last season*?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29f0yr6b7aoww1t80ng3

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hm, and what part of this offseason has led to that conclusion?

Also this offseason turned you against Herman and not *waves in the direction of every L plus the KU game last season*?

It's all of that in total. The KU game is a great example of a coach getting great effort from his players. They had just a couple of guys that were at the same level as our guys, but put on quite the performance. I was unable to see the Iowa St. game live, sorry I watched (most) of it later. 

Another couple of things that bug me, we haven't made any progress past getting to a bowl game where we are the underdog, and why is that scenario the only one where we see inspired play?

Don't get me wrong, He's an upgrade from where we were, but is he "the guy"? I no longer think so. 

Would LOVE to be wrong, but just not seeing it.

21 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Another couple of things that bug me, we haven't made any progress past getting to a bowl game where we are the underdog, and why is that scenario the only one where we see inspired play?

Don't get me wrong, He's an upgrade from where we were, but is he "the guy"? I no longer think so. 

Would LOVE to be wrong, but just not seeing it.

He's a proven excellent game planner, from Ohio State to Houston to Texas, if either given time or if that's all he has to think about. If he has to balance a whole bunch of head coaching responsibilities with that, things start to get wonky on both sides of the coin. Hence hiring a real OC this year.

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's a proven excellent game planner, from Ohio State to Houston to Texas, if either given time or if that's all he has to think about. If he has to balance a whole bunch of head coaching responsibilities with that, things start to get wonky on both sides of the coin. Hence hiring a real OC this year.

I hope that is a "spot on analysis". If our OC works out, then we might see something. 

Just seems like something has been off, I hope you're right.